Shipping Western Food From Uk To Thailand

Hi,

this is just an idea and im very curious and interested to know some facts about shipping both frozen meats and canned food from uk to thailand, if my thai wife shipped say a container of foods to los in her name would she have to pay tax on this? i immagine it just wouldnt be as simple to ship a container over every other month and open a store for farang food in pattaya, theres a few big guys out here doing it allready such as kpl foods, sausage king etc. Just cant help thinking that i could get good quality chicken breasts, sausages, lamb, marmite and also cheap tesco brand canned beans, vegetables etc here in uk.

as i say im just toying with the idea and doing some research, we all have to start somewhere.

thanks in advance

The biggest hurdle that you are going to have is getting all of the required import permits from the Thai FDA.

Take some time to go through the information on the below website and then if still interested, call the FDA and begin the import permit process. Just be aware that every single product will require a different import permit...,

Thai FDA

Also as per your other question.... have the importer be your wife does not reduce the import duty or taxes in any way. Just think about it... if Thai's could import all goods duty free, then that would kind of defeat the purpose, as most of the folks living in Thailand are Thais...

The only benefit in terms of Duty your wife would enjoy, is a one time import of Household goods if she was living overseas for more than one year... and even then it is not a blanket tax exemption, but only those items that Thai customs believes are "reasonably needed to set up a household"

That being said... it is not impossible, I have met some enterprising folks that have set up companies and do import foods from various places... Although, it may work best if you find a niche market/product that the big boys are not importing, as given their economies of scale they can usually do it for less.

I;d start with some of the folks you intend to import their product take McWhinney's sausage (I love them) they export to Canada and other parts of Asia, perhaps as a starting point they know the ins and outs, previous experience in the market etc- they may also ship huge amounts to Singapore and you could then contact that importer. I like the idea of the white label tesco brands, don't know if Lotus Tesco would be pissy but well worth a try. Google British food in Canada and you will see lots of online folks with the items you may wish to inlcude.

You will need to get your figures right. Importing into Thailand can be a nightmare regarding hidden costs(corrupt officials) and mindless red tape; even FTA countries arent immune. I tried it for 1 year and gave up.The Thai officials were making far more money than me. The level of corruption and hurdle jumping here is staggering. Dont buy any products associated with Tesco Uk. You will be squashed very quickly by Tesco Thai when youre sprung. Thailand is a great place to export goods from . Its easy and the Thais love you for it. Thailand is one of the worst countries in the world to import goods. The stories of foreigners getting into shouting matches and fist fights is legendary.Just ask any Sth korean.

Edited by jalansanitwong

The imported food items that are for legitimate sale in the Kingdom all go through an importer, the largest of which is Piriyapul International Ltd. The imported items on the supermarket shelves all have the stickers of the importers affixed to the individual product. These importers are a a tight-nit group and maintain control over this niche market. Unless you have a relationship with one of these groups I believe you will find it very difficult if not impossible to make it fly as a legitimate business opportunity. These importers (I am not naming any group specifically) are very well connected at the ports and can have "small time" competitor's cargo held up for long periods of time at customs. They pay out big money in bribes to the port officials (this is also reflected in the price) and the bribe money also get them certain benefits in making business very difficult for would-be competition. I am not saying it can't be done, just that you need to be aware of the established protocols in place and work smartly within this system to find success.

The imported food items that are for legitimate sale in the Kingdom all go through an importer, the largest of which is Piriyapul International Ltd. The imported items on the supermarket shelves all have the stickers of the importers affixed to the individual product. These importers are a a tight-nit group and maintain control over this niche market. Unless you have a relationship with one of these groups I believe you will find it very difficult if not impossible to make it fly as a legitimate business opportunity. These importers (I am not naming any group specifically) are very well connected at the ports and can have "small time" competitor's cargo held up for long periods of time at customs. They pay out big money in bribes to the port officials (this is also reflected in the price) and the bribe money also get them certain benefits in making business very difficult for would-be competition. I am not saying it can't be done, just that you need to be aware of the established protocols in place and work smartly within this system to find success.

Well said. Spot on in everyway. Thailand is predominantly for the big players out there. Graft,red tape ,go slow,lost or stolen cargo and intimidation of competitors is the way of the jungle in LOS. Small players can make it but dont invest more than you can afford to lose. I know a Korean who had to pay 100,000 b for a 15 kg box of cosmetics or buy a licence for every different item in the box. About 500,000 b. He held back for about 2 weeks but Customs wouldnt budge. Pay 100,000 b or we confiscate cargo ! He paid because his customers were getting angry.

I told him not to pay the fine and simply pay someone to tell him where the officials offload confiscated cargo. It would be a soi market in bangkok for certain. Buy it all back.

Edited by jalansanitwong