Teaching Of English To Be Ramped Up: Thailand

webfact

Teaching of English to be ramped up

The Nation

Students will be encouraged to speak English every week as part of the English Speaking Year 2012 project.

"At least one day per week, teachers and students must use English in communications through various activities," Education Minister Woravat Auapinyakul said last week.

The project will kick off on December 26 with cooperation from foreign embassies and other institutions, said Sasithara Pichaicharnnarong, permanent secretary of the ministry.

Woravat said the project would prepare Thailand for the advent of the Asean Economic Community in 2015.

The English Speaking Year project would stimulate greater use of the international language by students in all public schools, he said.

"For example, there will be English corner or English village. Or students will be sent to receive training as guides," he said.

The permanent secretary has been assigned to consult with the other agencies to provide training for teachers in organising activities for promoting English speaking.

The teacher training will be provided by the Basic Education Commission, Vocational Education Commission and Private Education Commission.

Practising English speaking would be given priority before studying grammar.

Sasithara said the project would be launched nationwide with the training of teachers so that they could communicate in English.

Teachers would join activities of foreign embassies or foreign institutions as well as receive training from representatives of Englishlanguage institutions and international schools.

The ministry would persuade teachers to participate in the project by surveying schools' readiness and offering rewards for successful schools.

The schools would be classified by colour - blue representing schools not ready, green fairly ready and pink very ready.

Teachers at pink schools might be rewarded with training in other Asean countries or the chance to go on fieldtrips to the countries, she added.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-12-19

It's a start. I see Thai-English teachers who seldom speak a word of English in the classroom. Our school recently mandated that they teach in English. Fortunately, most of the teachers are fluent enough to conduct the lessons in English.

The problem for many schools is that the teaches are simply not fluent enough to converse in the language.

Overall I run into a fair number of Thais, teachers, students and professionals, whose English is adequate, but they simply do not use it often enough to stay proficient.

one hour is not gonna help they already do that now in most Universities I have been at, then need to stop all the stupid games and parties they do and start really getting them to speak English more often in classes, and more regular sessions with the foreign teachers. Stop giving them passes when they don't deserve it, make them be punctual for classes instead of wandering in late. One of my mates at a uni in Bangkok locks the door 5 minutes after class should start, if they are late he does not let them in, also no book, then out you go, the students hated it, but it worked a treat.

Even at Uni in English classes the Thai teachers converse mostly in Thai, okay it lets the students understand things, but surely they should already know most of the things being taught

Edited by beano2274

"The teacher training will be provided by the Basic Education Commission, Vocational Education Commission and Private Education Commission." I'll believe that when I see it

"Practising English speaking would be given priority before studying grammar." I wonder if they realized that every child that speaks a language doesn't have a clue about grammar, as do many of the foreign "degree holding" teachers here.

"Sasithara said the project would be launched nationwide with the training of teachers so that they could communicate in English."

How long is it going to take the teachers to learn to communicate in English before passing it down to the students. I know many English teachers that can't speak English, I cynically doubt they will have the desire to learn either, not at this stage of the game.

"Teachers would join activities of foreign embassies or foreign institutions as well as receive training from representatives of Englishlanguage institutions and international schools." :lol:

"The ministry would persuade teachers to participate in the project by surveying schools' readiness and offering rewards for successful schools." downgrade my school?? FACE! :ermm:

"The schools would be classified by colour - blue representing schools not ready, green fairly ready and pink very ready."

Let's find another label to stick on the poorer schools. rich pink schools and poor blue schools.

"Teachers at pink schools might be rewarded with training in other Asean countries or the chance to go on fieldtrips to the countries, she added." they might be and this might actually happen. Thai people love to travel outside of Thailand as the PM wouldn't even go to Hawaii.

Is this the alternative to hiring foreign teachers because there is no system in place to actually test their ability to teach. The requirements to teach have nothing to do with whether or not one can teach. If you have a general basic college degree you got on a golf scholarship, you're qualified to teach.

I think it's good that the "government" is thinking about this, but more labels and rewards for the rich. Until the system starts grading student accordingly based on what they actually do and know, I can't see any "blue" schools, but a whole lotta face-saving green ones and a smattering of pink. blue=neglected, green=envious, pink=the elite :ermm:

How can the students learn english if the teachers can't speak it at all? I pay for extra english classes. Last report showed poor grades in english. Questioning the kid turned out the volunteer teacher left (no work permit), so they have no teacher but still take the money for the special class. Asked what he did in class, was told, we play bingo. The government can dictate as many programs as they want, they will be ignored.

There are many retired English speaking expats here in Thailand who would gladly teach conversational English at their local school on a volunteer basis..........oh, that's right - farangs with retirement visas can't get work permits and you can't do volunteer work in Thailand without one. My bad.

I think it is great the Thai's are trying to learn English, but unfortunately I can't be in favor of the "how" part. :jap:

I was born, raised and have lived the majority of my life in Colorado U.S.A. Therefore English is my first language, and the only language I am real fluent in.

I met a man on the street in Bangkok the other day. He was trying to make conversation in English, with a heavy German accent. No problem, I'm happy to talk with just about anyone. While exchanging pleasantries through heavily broken English he told me he was working in Thailand, paid by the government as an English teacher. I raised my eyebrows, smiled and moved on. I was shocked. I couldn't hold a conversation with this man and yet, he is a paid English teacher. I feel sorry for his students, who will someday find out how worthless it is to try and learn English from someone who can't speak it.

American is a dialect so is British.

The teachers also need to decide on if they are gonna teach American English or British English, as some problems in Grammar could occur, although most of us understand both dialects, some people don't.

Edited by beano2274

There are many retired English speaking expats here in Thailand who would gladly teach conversational English at their local school on a volunteer basis..........oh, that's right - farangs with retirement visas can't get work permits and you can't do volunteer work in Thailand without one. My bad.

Some of us are even retired teacherscool.gif

The teachers also need to decide on if they are gonna teach American English or British English, as some problems in Grammar could occur, although most of us understand both dialects, some people don't.

When I was teaching in Slovenia, we had the problem of English grammar and spelling versus that of the United States. It was decided to accept either from the students but not a mixed hybrid.

Incidentally Americans speak American, not English, English by simple definition is the language spoken by English people, just as German is spoken by Germans and Italian by Italians. English is not a dialect although there are many English dialects both in Britain and around the world. Note that if we defined English by a majority dialect, then Indian English would be the de facto standardcool.gif

A big part of the problem is that the Thai govt gives WRITTEN exams to all the public school students every year. The exam determines partially how the school is ranked and how much money and how many supplies and teachers it gets. So since the teachers/Admin at the school knows that the students must do well on this WRITTEN test they concentrate almost all effort on teaching reading and writing and very little on speaking. I used to walk into the classroom and was amazed at what i would see on the blackboard from previous classes...it was all about grammar and diagraming sentences and stuff that i have long forgotten like "future perfect participles" and the like.

This is not so very unusual as in many countries teachers teach for the test....not for what is best.

And yes it would sure be nice if a few more expat native speakers could do some volunteer teaching at the public high schools as many of the students there have NEVER spoken with a farang in their lives. I teach some at a very poor public school... i was the FIRST farang that my students had ever seen up close much less talk to/with. In the beginning they of course are very very shy to try and speak with a farang....but...after a while they loosen up and are some of the most polite and wonderful kids anywhere. Be aware that especially in the beginning that you will be THE star attraction on campus as every eye will be on the farangs every move...it's the closest that many of us will ever come to being a rock star.

If you would really like to do some volunteer teaching why not approach a poor local public high school and volunteer...you might be surprised to find that they will welcome you and may well help you sort through whatever work permits you may need. But don't expect them to have any funds to pay you anything...in fact my guess is after you do it for a while you will likely donate a few bucks of YOUR money to help buy a few badly needed items. It is one of the most gratifying things i have ever done.... It would be great if the Thai government would encourage more volunteer teachers. Of course I do worry that it might attract a few weirdos whose motivation is to chase the 16 y.o. girls around rather than teaching...but usually there are a few thai teachers around to sorta keep an eye on things and hopefully prevent the whack jobs from doing any damage.

When I was teaching in Slovenia, we had the problem of English grammar and spelling versus that of the United States. It was decided to accept either from the students but not a mixed hybrid.

Incidentally Americans speak American, not English, English by simple definition is the language spoken by English people, just as German is spoken by Germans and Italian by Italians. English is not a dialect although there are many English dialects both in Britain and around the world. Note that if we defined English by a majority dialect, then Indian English would be the de facto standardcool.gif

This is a matter with which I have some personal experience. My Thai GF wanted to learn English so I agreed to help her financially provided that she could find a teacher who could actually speak English him or herself. I was in England at the time and I told my GF that I would "interview" her choice of teacher over the 'phone.

The first teacher she found spoke with such an atrocious Thai/American accent that even I, a native English speaker found it hard to understand him! So, I told my GF – No!

The second teacher spoke to me on the 'phone with a fairly soft Thai accent but definitely speaking comprehensible English. Better than that, the first 2 questions he asked were 1 – "Does the lady want to learn formal or conversational English?" 2 – Does she want to learn British, American or Australian English?" He got the job!

My point here is that a very small number of Thais know the differences between the accents and nuances of our language.

Another point worth thinking about is in Cambodia even the little street kids speak SOME English AND French. This entirely sums up Thailand's insular attitude to the world and, therefore, in my opinion negatively affects their education system.

It is incredible snobbery to state that only persons from England speak English. What language is spoken in New Zealand, Australia or Canada? Do only Spaniards speak Spanish? If so, what is the language of Guatemala, Chile, or Argentina? Language evolves. You present a view that your language should be the property of a group of islanders that know its "proper usage". Complete rubbish. By the way, I agree that your definition of the English language is simple.

I guess it depends on what level you are teaching English but i can assure you in a poor public high school ANY version of English that you can get the kids to speak is cause for celebration...maybe on an advanced university level it might matter but when you are trying to teach kids the most basic English I don't think it makes much difference if it is American or British or Aussie...the key is to get them to just give it a shot and try to build up their confidence which is greatly lacking in most attempts. I have found that if i try and speak Thai to them and let them howl with laughter at my pronunciation that it seems to help give them confidence to try speaking English...guess they figure (correctly) that they can't do any worse than me...Some days we play a game where i say something in Thai and then i make them try and figure out what the heck i said and repeat it back to me in English....not sure who has more fun, me or the students.

It is incredible snobbery to state that only persons from England speak English. What language is spoken in New Zealand, Australia or Canada? Do only Spaniards speak Spanish? If so, what is the language of Guatemala, Chile, or Argentina? Language evolves. You present a view that your language should be the property of a group of islanders that know its "proper usage". Complete rubbish. By the way, I agree that your definition of the English language is simple.

I'm sorry if you see my comment as snobbery, and yes most living languages evolve. The English of present day England is not the same as that of Shakespeare and different yet again from that of Chaucer. Most languages start as a creole, English is no exception it has Latin, Germanic and some Celtic roots. Most languages exist as dialects, sometimes these dialects converge, as they are doing in modern Britain, at other times they diverge, as they are doing in Australia and the USA. In the case of North American English, apart from a simplified spelling system and vocabulary variations, the main difference is in the usage of weak and strong verbs. Indeed modern N.American English is closer to the British English of the early colonial days. Thus English people, and only English people speak modern English as their mother tongue, Americans speak a form of English that diverged from British English about 400 years ago. If it were not for modern communications this divergence would have resulted in a new language, related to English yet different, just as Spanish, Italian, Romanian and to a lesser extent French evolved as separate languages from the original Latin. I do not see Italians claiming that Spaniards speak a dialect of Italian, although they have common roots. Modern N.American has common roots with British English, but it is not English although it has not yet diverged enough to be a separate language, yet I would hesitate to call it just a dialect. I suspect in time it will end up as a creole based on English and Spanish.

As I wipe the tears of laughter from my face, and regain some sort of composure, I start to think again about the hand full of teachers, who murder the language at my school each day. To imagine them, along with the rest having to talk English for one day would be so funny. I would give my pay to see such fun. laugh.gif

Recruiting teachers must be difficult. Thailand is the only Asian country I know of where prospective teachers must pay for their visas, air fares, a place to stay.

Additionally, I have been here for 3 1/2 years, a credentialed teacher from California,...but, so far it seems, I don't have the right "connections" to

find any employment whatsoever! (Being over 50 is a definite negative also!) :ermm:

I think it would help immensely, at least in the many schools such as the public school I have seen, if either English were an elective subject after the first several years, or if there were honors classes for the more interested and able students.

In schools such as this, by the time students are in Mathayom level, their abilities span a range from those who still do not know the alphabet and cannot read, to those who are fairly skilled. It's really not fair to either group to have them all in the same class. Those who are behind need remedial classes if they are going to learn. And those who are ready, willing and able to learn at an accelerated level deserve the chance to do so, and not be held back by the slower learners. I think best-case scenario, there would be remedial classes for those who haven't learned and need to catch up a bit, "normal" speed classes for the average learners, and "honors" classes for those that are interested and able to learn at an advanced rate.

I think a day a week for teachers and students to use English is a nice idea, but I seriously doubt it will be an effective way to achieve the goal in a few short years. It will take much, much more than that. Teacher incentives is something, that if taken seriously, would result in higher pay for capable teachers, and teachers that are getting results. Also, the all-pass system is clearly no incentive for students to learn.

I could go on, but...... :coffee1: Your turn.

• Like 1

I'm a retired teacher, though of math and sciences.

I live in a rural area but near the district secondary school. This year my wife's youngest daughter is completing M6 there and hopes to be the first to enter college in her family (at least among 1st cousins, aunts or uncles.) To some extent she is better prepared in English than any of her classmates. She can hear and comprehend English at an elementary level, and she can read aloud with moderate fluency and good pronunciation. (That last was due to reading aloud the first three Harry Potter books with me. These books are available in both English and Thai and allowed her to slowly build her vocabulary too.)

That long introduction was for context. This year she hasn't been available to read much into book #4. Her focus and that of her friends has been in preparing for and taking the college exams. The sad part is that of the English teachers at her school, only one is able to carry on a decent conversation in English. I've even taken to correcting the homework lessons after her current teacher has corrected them - because the teacher's corrections are wrong about 5% of the time. I've similarly seen errors in printed study guides. What real support is there for students?

While many of the English teachers know grammar rules better than me, they are slow to speak except in pleasantries of greetings and very simple topics. To their credit, a few of these will push their abilities of conversation or question how to express something. These are rare exchanges - mostly on Sports Day or when meeting in the market. Why? Precisely for the reasons cited as to the rules against volunteering while on a retirement visa. As a teacher I know that sporadic visits of a volunteer will not provide language fluency. That takes ongoing prepared lessons, ideally while immersed in using the targeted language.

Things teachers could do to improve comprehension would be to download and copy the podcasts of some BBC or NPR broadcasts - which are often accompanied by transcriptions. The Thai ministry could even search for content and distribute it as approved lessons. If these were interviews, students could learn to parrot the tone and inflection of native speakers - yet at minimal cost increase. Fora greater cost, there are computer software language lessons that are interactive - which would greatly accelerate the use of the grammar and written language skills that many students have already acquired.

From such a point, it at least becomes imaginable to find students who would learn to be conversationally spontaneous and interactive. Sadly the most frequent access to dialog with native speakers of English remains in the hotels and tourist markets. These opportunities are not very accessible to those in rural areas, though for those in such locales the incentives to achieve fluency often succeed where all formal schooling has failed.biggrin.gif

Some older teachers can be the best. I would sugest allowing Non O/A visa holders to work as English teachers providing they are qualified.

I doubt volunteering would last long term as teaching is so much work. I really believe that having some ability to speak Thai (L2) can at least help gain credibility with the students.

Learning a second language is often very difficult. If the NES teacher has taken the time to learn Thai, he / she knows how to diagnose many of the problems all Thai speakers have (so easy).

As opposed to a simple TEFL course purhaps a more challenging TESOL or CELTA course and conversational Thai should be encouraged.

Thai is missing several sounds that English has. Grammar is always secondary to successfull communication but should not be ignored.

Most lessons should have some element of speaking, listening reading and writing (at some level) if possible.

I would consider working 10 or 15 hours a week if it was possible on a retirment visa.

Some older teachers can be the best. I would sugest allowing Non O/A visa holders to work as English teachers providing they are qualified.

I doubt volunteering would last long term as teaching is so much work. I really believe that having some ability to speak Thai (L2) can at least help gain credibility with the students.

Learning a second language is often very difficult. If the NES teacher has taken the time to learn Thai, he / she knows how to diagnose many of the problems all Thai speakers have (so easy).

As opposed to a simple TEFL course purhaps a more challenging TESOL or CELTA course and conversational Thai should be encouraged.

Thai is missing several sounds that English has. Grammar is always secondary to successfull communication but should not be ignored.

Most lessons should have some element of speaking, listening reading and writing (at some level) if possible.

I would consider working 10 or 15 hours a week if it was possible on a retirment visa.

When in Slovenia it became clear that the teachers were of high caliber, their grammar was far better than a native English speaker. In fact I often would jokingly comment to students, "If you want to speak perfect English then learn from your tutors, but if you want to speak like a native, then listen to me". biggrin.gif