What To Do When You Have Wrongly Been Given A Ticket By The Traffic Police?

mrgreg

Hi,

This morning I was stopped by a police officer who pretended I crossed a straight line to make a u-turn. After I tried to explain him that I did was on the u-turn lane and that I did not cross any line, he became agressive. I then decided to give away my license.

I am now wondering what to do to? I did not do anything wrong and I am not willing to pay. I have heard there is a possibility to bring the case before an administrative court within 7 days.

Is it true? If so, how to do it? What is the correct procedure? Anyone has more info or advice? If not, is there any other possibility?

Many thanks.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

simple answer when pulled by traffic police .

have 200 bht at the ready.

i was once pulled for jumping a red lite ,

when i had taken off , on a green light,

along side thais on scooters , who were not wearing helmuts .

not worth argueing , you wont win,

just pay up ,and smile .

TIT :jap:

There's no need to start a crusade, but if you feel wrong done by at least give it a try. I know a number of Thai's who won't get pushed over, I also know a number of Westerners who won't. You are well within your rights to standup for yourself. I suspect the key point is not to let a small issue go too far - Make your complaint, give it a whirl and walk away.

The best that can happen: They acknowledge your complaint officially and hand your license back without a fine and note which officer it was.

The worst than can happen: They laugh you out of the police station.

Take a respected Thai with you, be polite and firm. Don't walk in there like a scared little Western puppy.

>> The last time I was stopped by a police officer: He told me I was in the right hand lane. I laughed and countered that of course I was, how else was I supposed to overtake the lorry !!!... As I reached for the phone, he waved me along. IMO they don't bother western motorists (cars) but for some reason really do hammer any motorbike rider and when its a westerner their eyes light up !

• Like 1

Slip the corrupt cop some money, or go to the station and pay the fine :blink:

As the OP states: The license has already been handed over to the police.

I suspect the OP wants to handle this differently, rather than bending over and taking one for the team. By doing so he is doing everyone a favor, the police may be less susceptible to 'targeting' westerners if some handled the situation with a little more reluctance when handing over cash...

• Like 2

Time to leave the country boy. You have your principles and they don't work here..... Life is going to be a constant struggle if you think justice can be served. I've seen it time and time before. Go back and enjoy your rules are rules and must abide by the because it's my right "society" and stay there. It ain't going to work here and your just going to get more frustrated with the wrong people.... The right thing.... Leave

There's no need to start a crusade, but if you feel wrong done by at least give it a try. I know a number of Thai's who won't get pushed over, I also know a number of Westerners who won't. You are well within your rights to standup for yourself. I suspect the key point is not to let a small issue go too far - Make your complaint, give it a whirl and walk away.

The best that can happen: They acknowledge your complaint officially and hand your license back without a fine and note which officer it was.

The worst than can happen: They laugh you out of the police station.

Take a respected Thai with you, be polite and firm. Don't walk in there like a scared little Western puppy.

>> The last time I was stopped by a police officer: He told me I was in the right hand lane. I laughed and countered that of course I was, how else was I supposed to overtake the lorry !!!... As I reached for the phone, he waved me along. IMO they don't bother western motorists (cars) but for some reason really do hammer any motorbike rider and when its a westerner their eyes light up !

I agree with them not bothering westerners in car's, but do bother people on bikes. I both ride a bike and drive a car. But in general i think bikes are caught more as cars because people are usually poorer and have less connections. (at least in the mind of the Thai cop)

I have been justly and unjustly pulled over. I usually pay the bribe not the official ticket, reason for it being its hard for me to find all those police stations and it cost more time to pay it officially. I would even do it if the on the spot fine was higher.

I suspect the OP wants to handle this differently, rather than bending over and taking one for the team. By doing so he is doing everyone a favor, the police may be less susceptible to 'targeting' westerners if some handled the situation with a little more reluctance when handing over cash...

I keep a paper copy in the car to "hand over"

Other than for military duty quite some time ago, I first returned to Thailand as a guest of the Thai Senate. Driving around Victory Monument one day, a bus cut me off, forcing me to swerve and stop to keep from getting hit by it. I pulled back into the lane after and continued, and a cop stopped me for being in the wrong lane.

I called my friend, whose father-in-law was the president of the Senate and who was his chief of staff. I gave the phone to the cop who went ashen, not saying a word. He motioned to his boss, a young cop who sauntered over and gave me an evil look. He slouched and took the phone from the junior cop. As he listened, I could see his body slowly come to attention, his eyes wide. He nodded vigorously, said one or two words, then gave me back the phone, saluted me, and emphatically motioned for me to proceed on my way.

I laughed about it for quite some time after that.

Other than for military duty quite some time ago, I first returned to Thailand as a guest of the Thai Senate. Driving around Victory Monument one day, a bus cut me off, forcing me to swerve and stop to keep from getting hit by it. I pulled back into the lane after and continued, and a cop stopped me for being in the wrong lane.

I called my friend, whose father-in-law was the president of the Senate and who was his chief of staff. I gave the phone to the cop who went ashen, not saying a word. He motioned to his boss, a young cop who sauntered over and gave me an evil look. He slouched and took the phone from the junior cop. As he listened, I could see his body slowly come to attention, his eyes wide. He nodded vigorously, said one or two words, then gave me back the phone, saluted me, and emphatically motioned for me to proceed on my way.

sounds like a pointless waste of a favour to me.

• Like 1

That would be nice if that happened, but this is Thailand, wouldn't surprise me if he did jail time, after arguing :lol:

Time to leave the country boy. You have your principles and they don't work here..... Life is going to be a constant struggle if you think justice can be served. I've seen it time and time before. Go back and enjoy your rules are rules and must abide by the because it's my right "society" and stay there. It ain't going to work here and your just going to get more frustrated with the wrong people.... The right thing.... Leave

And you probably stayed here for too long. What's wrong with trying to push the country in the right direction?

My wife has photo copied my license and keeps them in both our cars and told me if I get pulled over and they want my license give them the copy only and if there is a problem call her .

I keep my original in my wallet for I D if needed

sounds like a pointless waste of a favour to me.

I didn't realize that there was a quota on favors.

And you probably stayed here for too long. What's wrong with trying to push the country in the right direction?

Ha, good luck. Unless your Gandhi you ain't gonna be but a grain of sand on the beach. Police corruption starts the day a cadet enters the force. In his first 3-4 years he has to collect to earn enough to finance a payment to his boss-man to get to the next level. If not he is stuck for life with no gun, no motorbike, no desk and more than likely road duty. When said rise happens to take him to the next level he has the chance to cash in 3-4 years later as he has a few cadets under him. He still has to pay to get to the next level.. etc etc etc etc.....collection doesn't pay-back until retirement, the final shuffle. The reality is you can't and won't stop corruption unless you got 30-40 years without the existing system in place. What you have done is just made his life that little bit more unpleasant to live. It was not I who suggested you pay, so as for your smart-ass comment about being here too long, read what I wrote. It simply says, if you want to enjoy living in peaceful surrounding in Thailand, learn and assimilate. If not, go home. Simple. You want to fight the system, as I said, GOOD LUCK.

PS. I had a staff member from Canada that came out of teaching and had great aspirations about being successful in business in Thailand. He's back teaching in Canada never to return to business in Asia. Guess why?

Back in the States and in the UK a police officer is never wrong. He maybe mistaken, but never wrong.

In Thailand, anyone in authority are renowned for never being wrong, mistaken or making judgements in error.

There are certain procedures you can take, such as making an appeal to the higher police authority or even taking the matter to the civil court. But I certainly wouldn`t recommend those course of actions. Because if they so wish, those in authority here and who know better, can make things extremely inconveinient for you in the future, it`s just common sense not to get on the wrong side of them.

Best to swallow your pride, pay the fine and call it a day.

I`ve had similar done to me in the past, where I have disagreed with an officers decision.

I just smiled, said sorry your worshipable officer, sorry I was born officer, sorry for taking up your precious time and sorry for the sake of being sorry. Then in most cases the officer will give you a small lecture, you promise to be a good boy and never do it again, and then off you drive into the sunset.

Edited by Beetlejuice

Photocopies of a Thai drivers license are illegal, and I have a Thai friend you got fined 1,000Baht for handing on to a traffic cop.

That would be nice if that happened, but this is Thailand, wouldn't surprise me if he did jail time, after arguing :lol:

What proof does the OP have? My guess is none, so who is the sergeant at the local station of the Administrative court going to believe.

One guess, and neither party is going to make a cop look wrong or lose face.

Edited by scorecard

Photocopies of a Thai drivers license are illegal, and I have a Thai friend you got fined 1,000Baht for handing on to a traffic cop.

And is also good to know you are not required to hand over your DL to the police. Politely point out that you need your DL and are not required to give it to them in any case. It works, seen it on my own eyes in BKK more than once.

I know it's a case of closing the stable door after the horse has bolted for the OP for which I apologise for being unhelpful but, the few times I've been stopped for some non-existent speeding offense, I've found that being polite but firm in my insistence of my innocence has always worked.

I got stopped just past a toll booth on the Don Muang Expressway a few months back. Seems that they were targeting everybody who came through. Went something like this

Me: Hello why have you stopped me?

Cop: You were speeding

Me: No I wasn't. MY GPS says so. I thought you were here because you got me ( genuinely speeding ) last week.

My wife then politely but firmly said " Can we go please we're running late"

Bit of back and forth and we're on our way.

When I've been genuinely speeding and tried to jovially bullshit my way out of it the cop always radios the guy with the speed camera who gives my reg. number and speed so in those cases they've got me bang to rights anyhow.

But paying off a cop for a non-existent offense? F#ck that. Let someone else bend over and take it up the Gary but not this boy.

Edited by mca

I know it's a case of closing the stable door after the horse has bolted for the OP for which I apologise for being unhelpful but, the few times I've been stopped for some non-existent speeding offense, I've found that being polite but firm in my insistence of my innocence has always worked.

I got stopped just past a toll booth on the Don Muang Expressway a few months back. Seems that they were targeting everybody who came through. Went something like this

Me: Hello why have you stopped me?

Cop: You were speeding

Me: No I wasn't. MY GPS says so. I thought you were here because you got me ( genuinely speeding ) last week.

My wife then politely but firmly said " Can we go please we're running late"

Bit of back and forth and we're on our way.

When I've been genuinely speeding and tried to jovially bullshit my way out of it the cop always radios the guy with the speed camera who gives my reg. number and speed so in those cases they've got me bang to rights anyhow.

But paying off a cop for a non-existent offense? F#ck that. Let someone else bend over and take it up the Gary but not this boy.

This is basically my experience as well with 14+ years experience on Thai roads.

If the OP wants to give it a shot and head down to the police station, then give it a go, but I wouldn't press to hard. Rack it up to experience and the next time just remember what MCA has done, be nice, deny the imagined infringement and you'll soon be on your way. It has worked in my experience too.