Helmets With Visors

KRS1

Anyone using a helmet with visor for 'road' riding? If you look up at 150 kph how hard will it pull your head back or does the wind pass through the area directly beneath the visor?

Hows the wind noise?

Like this helmet below:

94de9.jpg

> "If you look up at 150 kph how hard will it pull your head back..."

KRS1, you shouldn't look up to the sky at 150kph! :o

IIRR BigBikeBkk sometimes uses such helmet on his Versys, so he should know too. I guess the wind resistance at 150 will be strong.

Bad. Don't do it.

Had one for my D-Tracker initially and it pulled even at 115kph (maximum I was able to do on the restricted stock bike)...

Do you remember if the visor was 'easily' removed and if the top of the face shield sealed good enough to keep out rain? I think i recall it not being a flush fit but not sure... Looking for something different, build quality looks to be better for this lineup. Noisy ?

Foam in the old helmet shrank (REAL), its very loose and i know it will go flying off upon impact.

I think at 150 kph the resistance will be bad no matter what you use. But the visor does look like it could catch the wind and snap your neck,heheheheh

Even worse now that its looser than when i first had it. Going 150 kph its like being attached to a jackhammer.

I'll trade my old helmet for a case (24) of Chang Export if anyone's interested.:thumbsup: ...it's not in the best shape.

A good helmet with visor is ok for 150 kph, if the helmet fits your head perfectly. Helmets are aerodynamically shaped, so no serious impact on your neck. For higher speeds I recommend you to use a full-face helmet.

A good helmet with visor is ok for 150 kph, if the helmet fits your head perfectly. Helmets are aerodynamically shaped, so no serious impact on your neck. For higher speeds I recommend you to use a full-face helmet.

I remember an old Index I had, where i had to keep a constant downward pitch looking down a bit, or else any slight movement upwards and the helmet would catch the wind. I think that was around 180 kph though when i had my CBR 600.

So you've had one of these types of helmets before?

KRS1, i guess you are considering such motocross helmet mostly for sun protection (anti dazzle), not because of cool styling. Wouldn't it be better to get something like the sunax sunshields? I am looking for something like this myself, but the original sunax seems very expensive. And i have not seen it in Thailand too. Maybe some other member has used something like this and knows more? I am still hoping that it should be possible to find something similar cheaper. Or maybe just put a sun protection foil on the upper part of the visor?

Some Sol, Bilmola and LS2 2012 full face helmets have sun shields on.

Do you mean something like this?

post-129800-0-60666100-1324442202_thumb.

I would like to have a solution where only the upper part of the field of vison is protected, not the whole field of vision. The problem with this "build in sun shields" is that you need one hand to open it. You have to take away one hand from the handlebar in maybe critical situations (driving through tunnels, ...). This sunax thing seems to be a clever idea, because you just look to the protected area when you really need it. You can even drive at night with it. At least in theory :)

KRS1, i guess you are considering such motocross helmet mostly for sun protection (anti dazzle), not because of cool styling. Wouldn't it be better to get something like the sunax sunshields? I am looking for something like this myself, but the original sunax seems very expensive. And i have not seen it in Thailand too. Maybe some other member has used something like this and knows more? I am still hoping that it should be possible to find something similar cheaper. Or maybe just put a sun protection foil on the upper part of the visor?

Never thought about ti but it must be simple to go to a local tinting shop on a quiet day and get 3/4-ish of tint added to a visor.

I use insulating tape for a "visor strip"

Never thought about ti but it must be simple to go to a local tinting shop on a quiet day and get 3/4-ish of tint added to a visor.

Great simple solution !

I've seen some Index helmets with the flip up shades also.

Guess I know what im getting myself for Christmas!

I've seen some helmets, not sure if locally made, with two visors like military pilots helmets. One clear and inside one like a giant pair of sunglasses.

I bought my REAL Helmet to fit tight from the start, now about 9 months down the line it's a good snug fit and at 310kmph it sits firmly in place, I definately would not like to be wearing anything with a big peak on the front - for off road trial bikes only.

post-118861-0-56192400-1324461599_thumb.

You're welcome :D...

Insulating tape is a good idea. But for me it should be slightly transparent. I guess simple black tape will be annoying driving in the city when you often have to look to the traffic lights above. No problem for you?

Some people in internet say the car tinting film does not work on plastic. I will try to get some transparent film. It should be transparent enough to be able to see through, dark enough to avoid dazzling from sun, and it should filter out some UV-rays to protect the eyes. The result should look like similar to the "Fox City Speed Tint":

post-129800-0-00844100-1324477256_thumb.

But maybe its easier to buy something like the "Fox City Speed Tint"? Have to think about it further.

Insulating tape is a good idea. But for me it should be slightly transparent. I guess simple black tape will be annoying driving in the city when you often have to look to the traffic lights above. No problem for you?

For me the insulating tape acts like the sun visor in a car. It blocks the sun from above. It's question of fine tuning (sic) depending on the style of bike and the angle of your head.

When I lived in Indo. the locals do the same thing with very dark window tinting in cars. They block out the whole of the upper part of the windshield right down to their eye-line. Sadly they are shorter than Europeans so it makes it interesting to borrow another company truck usually driven by a local! Especially at night!

Here's one with a cutout for the driver. If the driver is shorterlaugh.png

1301239707_181656579_1-Gambar--kijang-super-87-mulus-biru-37jt.jpg

But your Fox thing has got me thinking. Tonight I'll look at my helmet closely maybe I can cut a thin strip from a cheap local visor and squeeze it between the shell and the liner? I was thinking two bits of double sided tape on the inside of the visor but that will interfere with the seal. I need a projectbiggrin.png

Edited by VocalNeal

You're welcome :D...

What is wrong with me?!? I was trying to look around the girl to figure out what kind of bike that was. Girl?....what girl?

I have an Arai tour cross 2. The visor catches major wind at 80kph. Thankfully it was removable, so I did. But it still catches wind when i turn my head for over taking. I guess the bulkier chin protector is to blame for that.

Just can't really advise anyone riding fast with visors. Infact Arai had a warning attached to it "NOT DESIGN FOR HIGH SPEED", or something of similar effect.

You're welcome biggrin.gif...

What is wrong with me?!? I was trying to look around the girl to figure out what kind of bike that was. Girl?....what girl?

Its a CBR 250 :)