UK Ambassador To Thailand Asif Ahmad Replies To Your Questions

webfact

Asif has been a disastrous and ill-judged appointment. Everything he's done has been solely to elevate his own importance and greatness. Pictures of him wearing a *life jacket* whilst being interviewed on the floods, his reporting on the red-shirt crisis last year when he wasn't even here, he was sat at a desk in London. He's arrogant and naive at the same time, a dangerous combination for diplomacy. The mugs at the FCO in London who are tasked in making these appointments should also bear responsibility.

He's an embarrassment. The business community in Thailand just wants him to go a.s.a.p.

(Fully agree with sungod's comments earlier)

I agree with your comments. He is only here to promote himself. He is doing nothing for the ex-pat community and clearly does not intend to. His answere are typical political whitewash. The sooner he is replaced the better. I have absolutely no confidence in him.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice video - thank you TV. Ineresting comment regarding an Amity treaty / ASEAN. I can't weight to see the devlopments eluded to and look forward to enjoying the same privilages as my American friend and neighbour! Nice that he thanked me for asking it, shame he got my name wrong!

@Mesey - I don't hate Britain, and will never give up citizenship of a country that I was and still am prepared to fight and die for. I'll go back anytime I fancy and exercise my right of free speech in what is still thankfully a democracy. Travel broadens the mind, and living and working in different countries increases the breadth. Speaking out about something which is clearly unfair is not moaning - griping because some people have chosen a better lifestyle is!! What's up - jealous?? What makes you think you have the right to tell people what to do when it comes to where to live and what they can and can't do in what's still there own country? Your're entitled to your opinions of course, just don't expect anyone to pay credence to them.

Typical politician's answers, manywords saying nothing, refering you to previous answers and websites this does nothing to change anyones views of the Embassy and its staff. Its nothing do with me, Parliament sets this and that and decides this and that I am just carrying out what HM Govt says.MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

HM Govt says thank for the taxes and NI contributions, you are not now welcome in the NHS for free medical care and as far as pensions are concerned, we can't afford to increase it for you annually you have to understand that lots of people have come to the UK looking for a new life and they are a bit short on the cash front,house front, material goods front also a lot are not available to work for one reason or another so they need even more support, its not their fault they have never paid any contributions or can't speak English and its also wonderful to be allowed into a free country and then able to criticise all the hands that feed them, is there any wonder the country is in such a mess.

Typical politician's answers, manywords saying nothing, refering you to previous answers and websites this does nothing to change anyones views of the Embassy and its staff. Its nothing do with me, Parliament sets this and that and decides this and that I am just carrying out what HM Govt says.MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

HM Govt says thank for the taxes and NI contributions, you are not now welcome in the NHS for free medical care and as far as pensions are concerned, we can't afford to increase it for you annually you have to understand that lots of people have come to the UK looking for a new life and they are a bit short on the cash front,house front, material goods front also a lot are not available to work for one reason or another so they need even more support, its not their fault they have never paid any contributions or can't speak English and its also wonderful to be allowed into a free country and then able to criticise all the hands that feed them, is there any wonder the country is in such a mess.

It is depressingly ironic - not to say tragic - that if I were to return now to the UK I would at the end of a long line of European (and other) immigrants, all of whom have more of a claim to attention and benefits than I do.

I'm British and have a UK passport. I paid 28 years of NI and taxes. But I've been resident here for 14 years and have lost out in both directions. I'm now a 3rd-class citizen in both countries with, seemingly, very few rights in either.

R

What a waste of time that was.

I disagree: I now have the name Jeremy Browne, the Minister of State's name. It should be easy to obtain his email address so I & many thousands of ex-pats in Thailand can question him about frozen pensions. This is discriminatory and makes NO ECONOMIC sense. As the pound sterling gets progressively weaker and the Thai baht gets stronger, there will come a tipping point where thousands of geriatrics like me will be forced back to UK to sponge off the Welfare system: free transport; health care; heating allowance; sheltered housing; carers' allowance etc.etc.

PS

I have just written to Jeremy Browne:

Dear Sir,

I understand from answers given by Mr. Asif Ahmad, the UK's Ambassador to Thailand that he has raised with you, at some time, the question of frozen pensions for ex-pats in CERTAIN counties.

Could you please explain how Thailand has managed to earn this status? I would like to add some points to the debate and whilst it is tempting, in these dire financial times, to shy away from any scheme that might be about to further deplete the United Kingdom's empty coffers, it may actually make some economic sense.

This iniquitous tax on some old age pensioners is obviously discriminatory. How can the Government preach anti-racism, religious tolerance and equal rights in the work place, whilst blatantly denying the index-linking of some pensioners by making it dependent on which country they choose to live in? In some cases, the country chosen is forced on one: I retired to be close to my son who was teaching in Thailand.

Since I have lived here, I have watched the decline of sterling against the baht, going from 73 to 47. My quality of life has naturally been hit. Soon, as inflation in Thailand, begins to bite, there will come a tipping point. When this is reached, the steady trickle of ex-pats returning to the Motherland will become a torrent.

At the moment there are 51,000 ex-pats living permanently in Thailand. (This figure does not include the many others who are defrauding the Government by not revealing they live here permanently. I am an honest man but now regret my decision to come clean.) Most of these ex-pats are male with Thai wives or partners. At the moment we pay for everything ourselves including medical expenses, (I cannot afford Medical Insurance as I am nearly 70 and the cost is prohibitive.)

Soon it will become uneconomic to live here. We will be forced to return where a whole raft of benefits await us. I do not know what our entitlement is but the National Health service would come under even more pressure. I expect I would qualify for Winter Fuel Allowance; free or cheap travel; Housing benefit? Carer's allowance? I do not know the figures, but would imagine the Winter Fuel allowance alone would total more than the tiny percentage increase allowed annually as a Cost of Living Increase to an Old Age Pension?

If/when I am forced to return, naturally I would seek to bring my wife and assume there are opportunities for State Hand-Outs for her too? How many other returning ex-pats would be in the same boat?

I still pay tax in the United Kingdom!

Please look seriously at this unfair situation and seek to combat this discrimination.

Yours Sincerely,

Mike Bell

and on top of that for those of us that have not yet received state pension they pushed it out a year to 66 - that means I am going to have to donate 1 year of my state pension to the government - some 8000 pounds sterling - THEN THEY HAVE NOW BROUGHT THE SECOND INCREASE FORWARD AND it looks like I'll be donating two years of my state pension to the government - some 16,000 pounds sterling, shafted in every hole - AND i AM STILL PAYING TAX IN THE UK - FOR WHAT

HE Quentin Quayle, Mr Ahmad's predecessor, took up the issue of up rating pensions with the UK authorities a few years ago and the reply was 'not only do the government have no intention of starting to up rate pensions in Thailand, but we would dearly like to close off the up rating deals we have made with other countries' It is possible, that the new UK government might have a different view and politely worded letter to Mr Jeremy Browne (who is Lib Dem MP for Taunton Deane and a junior FCO minister) along the lines of the gentleman earlier, can't do any harm. His government email is [email protected]. I'm going to drop him a line, If lots of us did, he might just sit up and take notice.

As to Mr Quayle v Mr Ahmad and having met both, I have to say that Mr Quayle said nothing whilst appearing to sound like he was on our side, whilst Mr. Ahmad says nothing whilst appearing to be on the governments side.

Personally I thought the Ambassador's responses were first class.He at least had the courtesy not to mention the obvious fact that those reliant on the tiny UK government pension should not be retired in Thailand in the first place.

I thought the Ambassador provided coherent and comprehensive explanations to the questions, some of which were inappropriate. Really, blaming the Ambassador for the BBC? Jeez.

UK expats should be grateful for an opportunity to ask questions and to receive the answers as it is a considerable step up from the service many other Embassies provide.Yes, some of the answers may not have been palatable, but the gentleman does not set the rules or regulations.

It is depressingly ironic - not to say tragic - that if I were to return now to the UK I would at the end of a long line of European (and other) immigrants, all of whom have more of a claim to attention and benefits than I do.

I'm British and have a UK passport. I paid 28 years of NI and taxes. But I've been resident here for 14 years and have lost out in both directions. I'm now a 3rd-class citizen in both countries with, seemingly, very few rights in either.

R

Please do the math. Calculate your 28 years of contributions and whether or not they actually cover the pension you expect to receive. The answer is that they would not and that the difference would be made up by the general and corporate taxpayers of the UK. The same holds true for just about every western nation. That doesn't mean that I am not respectful of your situation. However, as someone that is paying taxes and is still a long way off from reaching pension age, a pension that most likely won't be there for me, I have no sympathy for most current pensioners that are taking out far more than they put in.

HE Quentin Quayle, Mr Ahmad's predecessor, took up the issue of up rating pensions with the UK authorities a few years ago and the reply was 'not only do the government have no intention of starting to up rate pensions in Thailand, but we would dearly like to close off the up rating deals we have made with other countries' It is possible, that the new UK government might have a different view and politely worded letter to Mr Jeremy Browne (who is Lib Dem MP for Taunton Deane and a junior FCO minister) along the lines of the gentleman earlier, can't do any harm. His government email is [email protected]. I'm going to drop him a line, If lots of us did, he might just sit up and take notice.

As to Mr Quayle v Mr Ahmad and having met both, I have to say that Mr Quayle said nothing whilst appearing to sound like he was on our side, whilst Mr. Ahmad says nothing whilst appearing to be on the governments side.

Personally I thought the Ambassador's responses were first class.He at least had the courtesy not to mention the obvious fact that those reliant on the tiny UK government pension should not be retired in Thailand in the first place.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that people solely dependent on the government pension should be living here. you are completely missing the point. The issue is that having paid the same contributions and on the basis that Thai resident UK pensioners are not eligible for NHS treatment, Winter fuel allowance or other benefits, the least they could do is pay the pension up rating that 30 years of contributions should entitle them to.

This is to meysey. You seem to be ill informed about just about everything and seem to be doing a fair job of winding up the ex pats of the brit community, one day you may want their help and maybe they will remember MEYSEY.

I am an Englishman, I am waiting for my pension, when I claim it they will freeze it for me because I made a free choice to come and live here in Thailand, you doubt less remember that throughout history the Brits have made a bit thing about a free world (WW! and WW2) which we fought for freedom and fairness, that is all we ask not a lot really is it just to be treated the same as all UK pensioners? I did spend a lifetime at work paying my taxes and guess what MEYSEY I still pay them taxes on my pension, they still want to take ans not give.

People who chose to move the EU countries still get their increases even though they are benefiting the UK economy but a local to them economy another reason shot down.

Other have mentioned the state of the UK benefits regime which is tilted away from ordinary working people, single mums with kids get £700 a month for each offspring why would they change that situation? Asylum seekers get £250 each +£100 hardship money a week, free housing and who knows what else whilst we are denied a cost of living increase and if we ever had to go home for emergency NHS treatment, well dont count on it being free, they would like to send you a bill for it, its the same as the "How many days have you spent out of the country in the last year" trick.

It was a great place to live, I thought being born in England was like winning the lottery of life, now the ticket has expired.

A petition for change, what is required is a rally outside the Embassy Red Shirt style, maybe they will sit up and take notice!

R

Please do the math. Calculate your 28 years of contributions and whether or not they actually cover the pension you expect to receive. The answer is that they would not and that the difference would be made up by the general and corporate taxpayers of the UK. The same holds true for just about every western nation. That doesn't mean that I am not respectful of your situation. However, as someone that is paying taxes and is still a long way off from reaching pension age, a pension that most likely won't be there for me, I have no sympathy for most current pensioners that are taking out far more than they put in.

absolute rubbish

I don't need my UK state pension but I certaintly paid for it - that is not the point, there is a principal here as many have voiced, pension and the like are easy for UK governments to take away/reduce etc, perhaps if governments hadn't misshandled the economy the past 50 years and got us all into so much debt things would be different, they have a lot to answer for their incompetence, it is truely disgraceful

This is to meysey. You seem to be ill informed about just about everything and seem to be doing a fair job of winding up the ex pats of the brit community, one day you may want their help and maybe they will remember MEYSEY.

I am an Englishman, I am waiting for my pension, when I claim it they will freeze it for me because I made a free choice to come and live here in Thailand, you doubt less remember that throughout history the Brits have made a bit thing about a free world (WW! and WW2) which we fought for freedom and fairness, that is all we ask not a lot really is it just to be treated the same as all UK pensioners? I did spend a lifetime at work paying my taxes and guess what MEYSEY I still pay them taxes on my pension, they still want to take ans not give.

People who chose to move the EU countries still get their increases even though they are benefiting the UK economy but a local to them economy another reason shot down.

Other have mentioned the state of the UK benefits regime which is tilted away from ordinary working people, single mums with kids get £700 a month for each offspring why would they change that situation? Asylum seekers get £250 each +£100 hardship money a week, free housing and who knows what else whilst we are denied a cost of living increase and if we ever had to go home for emergency NHS treatment, well dont count on it being free, they would like to send you a bill for it, its the same as the "How many days have you spent out of the country in the last year" trick.

It was a great place to live, I thought being born in England was like winning the lottery of life, now the ticket has expired.

A petition for change, what is required is a rally outside the Embassy Red Shirt style, maybe they will sit up and take notice!

great post and right on the money (excuse the pun)

I have no idea where you get your figures from probably out of the usual Daily Express or Daily Mail BS newspapers most expats read and believe.

Also good to see the freedom of free speech is being up held on this forum (just in case you did not get that it was an ironic statement).

R

absolute rubbish

I don't need my UK state pension but I certaintly paid for it - that is not the point, there is a principal here as many have voiced, pension and the like are easy for UK governments to take away/reduce etc, perhaps if governments hadn't misshandled the economy the past 50 years and got us all into so much debt things would be different, they have a lot to answer for their incompetence, it is truely disgraceful

It is not rubbish. You have not paid for the pension you are demanding. Do the math. The monies you contributed do not cover the money you are receiving. Go and do the math, before you claim rubbish. It is the same situation in every western country. The indexed pensions are creating an enormous burden on younger workers as they have to subsidize the benefits the post war generation is receiving. The mishandled economy as you call it was a product of demands by UK citizens. Your generation benefited from all the new roadways and schools built in the 1960's and 1970's. I have no quarrel with the WWII generation and what they receive, but I have a big issue with the greedy gits born from 1950 to 1970. You received all of the benefits of those government expenditurres. My generation inherited crumbling roads and schools. it is your generation that bungled the economy and left a legacy of debt. You beenfited from all those reduced fees and tuition options and tax credits that have all but gone for my generation. You didn't contribute enough to maintain the NHS and now my generation has to pay for your underfunded pension benefits, your increased health care costs and your additional social services needs. Your generation screwed things up with their me, me, me attitudes as demonstrated for a demand that foreign residents receive the benefit of taxpayer subsidies to be spent in a foreign country. At least the indexed pension receipients in the UK are spending that money on services that create jobs for UK residents, jobs that generate tax revenues to subsidize your underfunded pension obligation.

I have no idea where you get your figures from probably out of the usual Daily Express or Daily Mail BS newspapers most expats read and believe.

Also good to see the freedom of free speech is being up held on this forum (just in case you did not get that it was an ironic statement).

Meysey is off again with his newspaper accusations, just because you leave the UK it doesn't mean that you have no contact with family, friends or various news sources (they do have internet in Thailand). I would be interested to hear where you get your information as it is clearly very accurate ie people who leave the UK do not pay taxes (The Sun, Daily Star????).

And here you go again with irony, a definition of irony is 'feined ignorance' but in your case ignorance seems to come naturally. I would also suggest not becoming a comedian if you always have to explain your attempts at jokes. The freedom of speech is that you can post what you want and people can agree or disagree and post their comments. If that upsets you then you can always join another forum although I've never seen one yet that allows 1 sided comments (ChinaVisa??, NorthKoreaVisa??).

R

absolute rubbish

It is not rubbish. You have not paid for the pension you are demanding. Do the math. The monies you contributed do not cover the money you are receiving. Go and do the math, before you claim rubbish. It is the same situation in every western country. The indexed pensions are creating an enormous burden on younger workers as they have to subsidize the benefits the post war generation is receiving. The mishandled economy as you call it was a product of demands by UK citizens. Your generation benefited from all the new roadways and schools built in the 1960's and 1970's. I have no quarrel with the WWII generation and what they receive, but I have a big issue with the greedy gits born from 1950 to 1970. You received all of the benefits of those government expenditurres. My generation inherited crumbling roads and schools. it is your generation that bungled the economy and left a legacy of debt. You beenfited from all those reduced fees and tuition options and tax credits that have all but gone for my generation. You didn't contribute enough to maintain the NHS and now my generation has to pay for your underfunded pension benefits, your increased health care costs and your additional social services needs. Your generation screwed things up with their me, me, me attitudes as demonstrated for a demand that foreign residents receive the benefit of taxpayer subsidies to be spent in a foreign country. At least the indexed pension receipients in the UK are spending that money on services that create jobs for UK residents, jobs that generate tax revenues to subsidize your underfunded pension obligation.

Geriatrickid and Meysey seem to have this subject stitched up (well and truly) with their well informed arguments. Where did they learn this alternative history??? To start with the discussion is about indexed pensions and where you are living - some get it, some don't, simple as that.

As for your rant about the 50-70's generation having it all, that's news to me, it was actually the WW2 generation that you are sympathising with coming home from war and creating a baby boom and hence the prefab housing and schools that are now crumbling (they were crumbling from day1).

I certainly remember freezing because of badly built schools with heating systems that never worked.

On top of that the war actually left the UK in massive debt and I'm not aware that soldiers fighting overseas were paying their taxes and NI contributions so the deficit is actually a carry over. As for crumbling roads it is the current generation with their expectations that daddy or mummy will buy them a car as soon as they 'come of age'. Just look at all the 3,4 or 5 car families nowadays. It was certainly not common when I was a youth, you had to get a job, save up for years and then buy a car. Today the university car parks are overflowing with spoilt kids cars who are studying home economic degrees or philosopy degrees as easy options rather than going out to work. I'm also amazed at what today grants are being spent on, everyone has to have a laptop, latest TV with Sky or cable, designer trainers and clothes, iPod,iPad, xbox - all the essentials for student life (Ask your mum and dad if they had all this)

As for your observation about being burdens on the NHS, I fail to see how people living abroad are a burden on the NHS. If I'm sick here I have to pay for every service I get from my own pocket.

By the way I am not in receipt of a UK pension so this doesn't apply to me but I get so furious when I see that all the taxes I have paid went to pay for spoilt brats who obviously wasted the money spent on their education by spouting crap like you two have (and before you reply I would advise using a spell checker because you obviously missed out on spelling at school (probably 2 bsy txtin).

51000 Brits living in Thailand, a fair chunk of them seem to be moaners going on the questions asked and the responses to this thread.

And what a bunch of stupid questions! By the end of the interview, I was expecting to see 'Bob from Pattaya' complain why Marmite is so expensive Villa and why Thai's seem to prefer Lipton's over PG Tips.

Seems to me many of the moaners seem content shift country but not undertake the due diligence before hand as to the costs of living overseas, nor the implications it may have in other areas (eg citizenship for the children).

hey you 2, why not support your arguments with some facts and figures, explain how you calculated the contributions and how you reach such an inaccurate pile of dribble

I won't hold my breath for an informed reply - I know what I paid and I know the numbers well enough to know you haven't a baldy notion what you are talking about

The basic state pension £102.15 a week., or £408 a month. If this starts being paid out to some people over the age of 65 (ignoring those that qualify for aged 55 payouts), please tell me how many of the expats living in Thailand actually contributed to the national pension scheme sufficient funds to cover this monthly obligation. Throw in all the additional benefits and that obligation swells. There is no way the vast majority of contributors that were born in the 1950-1970 period ever contributed sufficient monies to cover this obligation.

How many people griping have even bothered to use the pension profiler tool, have taken into consideration the number of bums collecting benefits and then considered how much money was collected. There is no argument some people are royally screwed under the pension scheme, having made their contributions and paying the maximum tax rates for decades. However, these people are in the minority. My argument that the majority of pensions recipients never contributed sufficient funds to cover the pension obligations is a fact.

sorry but that is just vague, you are trying to say that people who worked from the age of 16 in many cases to the age of 65 with an average life expectancy of 15 years did not pay enough, it is not as simple as the above and your reply as expected gives absolutly not foundation (hard facts and figures) for your posted rubbish, you just have no clue

R

absolute rubbish

I don't understand if you paid for it why not take it, ??

The most sensible question was for me :_

I realise it's something you can do nothing about,but can you please inform H.M Government that it is not fair to many retired ex-pats, that we do not receive the yearly state pension increase, even though many of us have contributed for the maximum 44yrs. Newly retired pensioners in the U.K and those living in many other countries only have to make 30yrs contributions, in order to receive the full pension,which is then increased every year.

Bloody hell I could of had another 12 years earley retirement.laugh.png

The most sensible question was for me :_

I realise it's something you can do nothing about,but can you please inform H.M Government that it is not fair to many retired ex-pats, that we do not receive the yearly state pension increase........

It isnt fair. But dont rock the boat. The UK government would be delighted not to pay non-residents any sort of pension at all and I suspect that they will be looking very carefully at how they can achieve that. There have already been mutterings.

Unfortunately for the UK Treasury, as long as the UK is still in the EU then they will have to pay pensions and increases to any UK OAPs living in the EU. But there is no requirement for them to pay anything at all to those living in Thailand.

So watch out.

Personally I have funded my pension privately (simply by having a shed-load of cash in the bank) and even though my National Insurance is fully paid-up I am not counting on ever getting a bean from it as long as I'm not living in the EU. Anything I do get whilst I'm outside the EU will be a bonus.

The basic state pension £102.15 a week., or £408 a month. If this starts being paid out to some people over the age of 65 (ignoring those that qualify for aged 55 payouts), please tell me how many of the expats living in Thailand actually contributed to the national pension scheme sufficient funds to cover this monthly obligation. Throw in all the additional benefits and that obligation swells. There is no way the vast majority of contributors that were born in the 1950-1970 period ever contributed sufficient monies to cover this obligation.

How many people griping have even bothered to use the pension profiler tool, have taken into consideration the number of bums collecting benefits and then considered how much money was collected. There is no argument some people are royally screwed under the pension scheme, having made their contributions and paying the maximum tax rates for decades. However, these people are in the minority. My argument that the majority of pensions recipients never contributed sufficient funds to cover the pension obligations is a fact.

Geriatrickid is half right. The amount of money contributed by the average pensioner is not enough to support their retirement but this is due to the fact that those same pesky pensioners are living much longer these days! But that is hardly their fault. Too many healthy spa treatments I suspect! I also suspect Geriatrickid was born in 1971.......?

geriatrickid, no harm to you but you keep staing facts which anyone can say - show me the facts - show your source - if you cannot then your facts are just dribble, you don't gety it do you ? where on earth do you get all this crap from, your facts are not facts until you show the figures and your official source, what are you - 13

Unfortunately for the UK Treasury, as long as the UK is still in the EU then they will have to pay pensions and increases to any UK OAPs living in the EU. But there is no requirement for them to pay anything at all to those living in Thailand.

What is weird, though, is that you DO get the pension increase in countries like the USA and The Philippines, but NOT in Canada, Australia, New Zealand or South Africa - all Commonwealth countries. HM Government spout out something like they have bilateral agreements with those countries (as well as the EU) and that is the only way they can grant pension increases. They also have stated that they don't intend to pursue any further bilateral agreements. I don't understand why a bilateral agreement is needed - surely it is of no concern to the foreign government what the British Government pay to their retirees.

And to clear something up, as I am 63 I don't yet receive the OAP, but I am receiving my Local Government pension (superannuation), all paid for by myself and my employers. On that pension I do pay UK tax, which invalidates some of the comments made by the Ambassador about not wanting the cost for letters and passports falling on the British tax payer. I AM one!