American Appliance Safe To Plug In Here?

czGLoRy

I have an appliance from America with this power rating:

Electrical Requirements 100 - 240 AC, 12volt DC

and Thai plugs seem to be:

Voltage: 220 V; Plugs A & C.

so, I would think this would be fine to just plug in, but I want to be positive before I do. There is not a lot of good information on this on the internet. Anyone able to confirm for me? Thanks! :)

angry.png As you describe it, probably Yes because it seems to have it's own transformer and a 12 volt D.C. power source to convert voltage...so you should be o.k.

If it did NOT say that the answer would probably be No, don't plug it in.

Some points though.

First if the equipment has an internal clock, AND the timing on that clock is dependent on the frequency of the A.C. (mains) power, that clock will run slightly slower at the Thai 50 Hz than the expected U.S. 60 Hz power. That is no longer very common, but older or low price appliabces may still have such internal clocks run by the A.C. power.

Also the plugs....the one you plug the appliance into... may be different. Thai plugs normally are round (the prongs) and U.S. plugs will normally have rectangular prongs. End result is the prongs don't fit into the Thai wall plug. You can buy a cheap adapter at most Thai stores with an "electrical" section.

And finally many (often older) Thai plugs are two prong, and common U.S. plugs are 3 prong. The 3rd prong...usually the slightly bigger round prong is wht we in the U.S. call the "ground" and Brits refer to as the "earth" lead.

In U.S. appliances that meet the standards that is usually no problem, but in some cheaper appliances the case (the outside) of the appliance may be "grounded" or "earthed" through that plug.The problem is that many Thai wiring systems do have that gound or earth connection to the plug.

Therefore it is possible that an appliance could not have it's case grounded, and therefore when you touch it, you might get a electrical shock.

If that does happen, unplug the appliance immeadiately, and find an electrician to check it out.

drunk.gif

Edited by IMA_FARANG

It might be cheaper to just leave your fridge back in the states? Lol

My fridge was about $12,500 and has a TV and an espresso machine built in, as well as a microwave. Not leaving that behind, although it was a massive pain to get here.

Thanks for the responses!

My fridge was about $12,500 and has a TV and an espresso machine built in, as well as a microwave. Not leaving that behind, although it was a massive pain to get here.

That is some fridge! I can understand the sentiment.

(And I thought I was going overboard for bringing my VitaMix and meat slicer!) licklips.gif

Do you have a picture of it? I've been out of the loop for 10 years or so, so this seems like a huge advancement in America. Do the walls show pictures and talk yet?

Nice fridge I may say with all those built in accessories.Does it cool also?