Couch Potato Or Not?

Jockstar

Do you do anything in the way of excercise?  

60 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Doesnt iclude walking to BTS or MRT.. I thought i'd ask. Are you lazy? Couch potato or not? ie. Do you do any excercise? Or are you a lazy person?

Personally i run 3 football teams at work(teacher).I am an ICA coach. Also i play in an expats football league here in Bangkok(we are 3rd in the league as of yesterday). I drink and i smoke but i'm fairly fit apart from that. So i am no couch potato. Very active i am. So what about you?

Edited by Jockstar

Yikes Jock! I was exhausted just reading about all your fitness routines :D Kudos, particularily volunteer coaching the various teams, well done!

I'm on the run constantly, so little time for traditional fitness as it were but I do make sure to walk those extra 30 meters around the steps at the skytrain entrance, to the escalator :o (one of those 'you know you've been in Thailand too long' things?) Incredibly, I'm in pretty good shape somehow... :D

I run 7K six days a week. After the run I do 100+ crunches and then ten or fifteen minutes of work with hand weights. I also bike 10-25K three or four times a week.

Been running regularly for the past 40+ years. Used to do marathons and triathlons, but 20 years of that was a bit much. I've slowed down a bit so I can keep at it longer. Degenerative arthritis is no fun.

I run 7K six days a week. After the run I do 100+ crunches and then ten or fifteen minutes of work with hand weights. I also bike 10-25K three or four times a week.

Been running regularly for the past 40+ years. Used to do marathons and triathlons, but 20 years of that was a bit much. I've slowed down a bit so I can keep at it longer. Degenerative arthritis is no fun.

Good on ya buadthai. you could put alot of members to shame. How old are you then?

Well I do like to drink a few beers and eat my farang food, so I feel that I have to exercise regularly to prevent myself from turning into a fat bastard.

At the moment I play football every Saturday and sometimes a midweek match too. I run 6k in Jajujak park once a week and go to the gym about twice a week. I also like to have a swim on a Sunday to sober up from Saturday's drinking.

Apart from that I play the occaissonal game of tennis or squash and try to walk as often as possible.

Edited by Spit the Dog

I do 50 situps every morning and every night.

And now and then I'll do some running. It's such a great exercise mentally and psychically because I find it really does clear your mind as well as being a good exercise.

The first day I started kick boxing in the UK my instructor told me if I couldn't run a few miles then I would be useless so thats when I started running! :o

Since walking at least 2km every day from kitchen to restaurant and back doesn't count I'd have to say I don't do any real exercise. I am a lazy person :o

I like to garden (machete and hoe to the ready!) and find that gives me a good workout. And today, I am filling in the big hole behind my house. Does that count?

I run 20 kilometers a week, but only workout and run 3 times a week (free weights and machine weights, just a mix and match of 4-5 stations and repeat sets at Fitness First... not trying to get all buffed and poofy or anything). Was in great shape until I graduated college, got fat (for a Thai), focused on work fueled by junk food for a few years, something like 82-83 kgs, now down to a toned 75 kgs. (same as in high school) in the last several years. Also throw in at least one tennis match a week, 2-3 matches if possible.

:o

And now and then I'll do some running. It's such a great exercise mentally and psychically because I find it really does clear your mind as well as being a good exercise.

The first day I started kick boxing in the UK my instructor told me if I couldn't run a few miles then I would be useless so thats when I started running!  :D

Sit ups are really bad for your lower back. Try crunches and you get a real good burn without any lower back stress. :o

The first day I started kick boxing in the UK my instructor told me if I couldn't run a few miles then I would be useless so thats when I started running!  :D

Sit ups are really bad for your lower back. Try crunches and you get a real good burn without any lower back stress. :o

Thanks for the advice :D

Try to get to the gym around twice a wek but these days it mostly just once. In my little room i do quit a bit of exercise...depensing on when i get up of course. I always set my alarm for 6 but that doesnt always mean i will wake up then.

Do around 30 minutes skipping and if i have time i will do push ups, sit ups and some free weights. Time for this can range from 20 minutes to an hour...

The new place i will be moving to next year has a pool so i can see myself swimming in the mornings on a gregualr basis as i used to swim at least 1 km, 3 times a week a few years back. Would be nice to get into that routine....

Gotta do this othewise i would get fat with all the Thai food i eat!

What is the difference between sit up and crunches?

Sorry my english very bad.

When doing a sit up your shoulders start out touching the ground and you bring your whole back up as a unit and then go back to the ground.

With a crunch your shoulders and upper back are always off the ground and you just tighten your stomach muscle to curl your head and shoulders forward.

Much easier to demo than describe.

In any even, sit ups put a lot of strain on your lower back. Crunches are much better for you. And, since your muscles are always tense, they do a better job of strengthening.

I have a theory:-

Looking at nature, you will see that animals that live the longest have slow heart-rates and those that are short lived have fast heart-rates.

I think that when you are born, you heart has a fixed amount of beats given to it (the number varies according to your genes).

If this is so, why would I want to use them up on something as useless as exercise? :o

Looking at nature, you will see that animals that live the longest have slow heart-rates and those that are short lived have fast heart-rates.

I think that when you are born, you heart has a fixed amount of beats given to it (the number varies according to your genes).

If this is so, why would I want to use them up on something as useless as exercise? :o

Because in the long run exercise increases your heart's efficiency and reduces the number of beats you need to stay alive.

My resting heart rate (when I wake up) is about 50. The average is about 72. That means that my heart is beating 30% less than the average heart.

Will I live 30% longer? I doubt it! Too many other bad habits. :D

Because in the long run exercise increases your heart's efficiency and reduces the number of beats you need to stay alive.

My resting heart rate (when I wake up) is about 50. The average is about 72. That means that my heart is beating 30% less than the average heart.

Will I live 30% longer? I doubt it! Too many other bad habits. :D

sigh....another one of my theories down the toilet....

I recall a thread by the Bambina regarding the caloric depleting benifits of sexercise, now there is a routine that can easily become an enjoyable habit.

BTW....tried to add the thread link but was unsuccessful, i guess the serious sexerisers will have to spend a few extra cals to pound the keys.

Living in Thailand has made me really lazy. I used to love walking everywhere back in England but here, it's either too hot or there's no decent pavement/sidewalk to walk on.

For the last year I've been going to the larger shopping malls everyday and I basically just walk around for the best part of an hour. My incentive for doing this isn't so much health related but rather because of the nice girls I meet who are out shopping. A lot of the shop girls have gotten to know me by sight too and give me a nice smile every time.

Have to go lay down now. Scrolling through these posts too fast has burnt me out.

:o

I need to do the exercise here cuz of the food and as gazza says the pavements are not so easy to walk on....high kerbs or trees and phone boxes blocking the way.

I still walk around Bkk a bit though. I often walk from my apartment in soi 36 to Thong lor...market place or J Avenue and back again...i do get strange looks from my Thai friends when i tell them i would rather walk back.

Gym 5 times a week, predominantly weight training and muscular endurance, do most of my cardio at weekends playing football etc. I have quite a strict diet too, don't eat any sweets, chocolate, junk-food and the likes. What is worse I don't eat rice, so when in Thailand it is almost impossible, I guess moderation has to suffice whilst here.