When Will We Learn The Lessons Of Road Carnage?: Thai Opinion

webfact

EDITORIAL

When will we learn the lessons of road carnage?

The Nation

30172968-01_big.jpg

The govt and police must clamp down on drunk and dangerous driving; enforce the law and punish the guilty

The long New Year holiday often brings a reminder of road carnage that takes hundreds of lives nationwide on both highways and country roads. Last year's road accidents during the week-long New Year holiday period killed 350 people, with 3,750 more injured, according to the Don't Drive Drunk Foundation, which, through government support, spearheads a campaign against road fatalities over the New Year and Songkran holidays.

The year before last, the figure stood at 347 killed and 3,827 injured. Generally nationwide, road fatalities number between 345 and 470 annually for the same period.

The government's recently launched "New Year Zero Dead" campaign serves as a timely wake-up call to motorists planning trips over the holiday. This year's slogan is "Drink Not Drive, Drive Not Phone". While a similar campaign is put in place every year, still the number of road deaths has never gone below the 300 mark. But figures show a downward trend over the past four years, from 401 to 350.

What's shocking is that around 12,000 Thais are killed on the roads per year, or about two persons per hour. In other words, every day, approximately 50 people who leave home for work, school or shopping never return because of road accidents.

To address the problem in the holiday season, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra recommends that everyone should celebrate the occasion not recklessly but mindfully. "We should not celebrate the New Year with alcohol. But if you cannot avoid drinking, then don't drive."

Her message is about responsible driving, which seems absent come the New Year holiday. The point is that most of these road causalities involve young motorcyclists, their failure to wear a helmet, and drunk driving. Other factors contribute, such as speeding, jumping red lights, distracted driving, reckless driving, unsafe lane changes, driving under the influence of drugs, and fatigue. But these are overwhelmed by the impact of alcohol consumption.

To reduce the fatality rate effectively, Thailand simply needs tougher road safety measures and a review of existing measures, to improve their efficiency, especially on drunk driving.

The rate of road accidents caused by alcohol consumption is shocking in Thailand. This makes the success of existing measures and campaigns against drunk driving by different concerned agencies questionable. The most controversial measure is the banning of alcoholic drink advertisements on TV and radio. Nevertheless, the impact of this long-term measure on road accident alleviation is unclear and yet to be examined.

The rate of road accidents caused by intoxication has never gone down. With the high death rate resulting from alcohol consumption, fingers are pointed at law-enforcement personnel. In a way, the police are partially to blame for their half-hearted attempts to crack down on drunk driving in districts that host nightclubs and restaurants run by deep-pocketed, well-connected proprietors.

We all know about high-profile drunk-driving cases involving celebrities causing fatalities. But we never see them going to jail. These cases are mostly settled out of court, or they face light penalties like community service.

In truth, the police suffer a lack of breath-alcohol analyser devices to legally detect blood-alcohol levels of drivers. Some police stations do not have these devices, nor do they have sufficient financial support.

Worse still, under Thai law, drunk drivers can be prosecuted only if there is sufficient evidence indicating an alcohol level over the legal limit. However, an ordinary breath analyser that can only detect the blood-alcohol level but does not give an immediate printout result cannot be used to prosecute drunk drivers according to the law.

Amidst legal loopholes, motorcycles, the most popular mode of transport for the masses, continue to be a substantial part of the overall death toll. We must mitigate this problem, even as it seems impossible to control their numbers. Existing measures seem inadequate at best. Apart from the compulsory use of helmets, motorcyclists are required to turn on their headlights all day and night.

We think it's necessary to adjust or lower the legal blood-alcohol limit for motorcyclists, and young riders in particular. Manufacturers of motorcycles should consider supplying every buyer with a free helmet. A responsible parental role is also integral in reducing traffic accidents involving young motorcyclists. Parents should not allow their teenagers to own a motorbike or even ride one to school.

But then there are many traffic accidents involving bigger vehicles, which add to the fatality statistics. But accidents will result more from drunk driving than reckless driving. The government must get serious about the safe driving campaign. It's time to invest in road safety measures, get tough on offenders, and make the law more sacred. Let's hope that this year's campaign will work better than last year's.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-12-31

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When will Thai's learn good road manners, million dollar question, possibly through good education, good politicians at all levels, people believing in them selves not subservent to the rich, people becoming more vocal on issues such as good roads, poor building standards in public infrastructure ie traffic control lights and I guess the true indicator will be when they start stopping at X walk signals.One can recommend the slashing of funds for the millatry and other instituions that are a waste, improvements to standards, regulations in government departments . Other than that the word is hopless. Happy new year.

How about requiring that drivers learn how to drive before being able to get behind the wheel? It appears the only requirement for driving is that someone can afford to purchase a vehicle. Drivers make turns from the curbside lane crossing 3 lanes of traffic without looking . Motor bike drivers pull out into the middle of the road and then look to see if there is oncoming traffic. Somehow, I think that alcohol use has no effect on the ability to drive here. The baseline is so low, it can't go down any further.

' The govt and police must clamp down on drunk and dangerous driving, enforce the law and punish the guilty' Yeah right, the police are only interested if it benefits them.

Thursday evening, my Thai wife was going to the market on her motosai, riding down soi siam country club, Pattaya. My wife is a very cautious rider, never goes over 40kph, anyway a large truck comes speeding from behind, honking on his horn telling her to get out of the way, now this is a very busy soi in the evening so the truck could not overtake her because of on coming traffic and she could not move any further to the left as there are always parked cars, the truck driver just kept honking at her until he intimidated her so far over she clipped a car and was off the bike, he then honked again a few meters down the road as if it was funny.

A few of the witnesses who helped my wife get up from the ground had got the details of the truck so after taking my wife to the hospital, she is badly bruised and grazed we/she limped into Banglamung police station to file a report, after getting the run around for 2 hrs sent to different departments and talking to several members of the police force we finally get to make a report, the cop listened to my wife, looked at the details of the truck then slouched back in his chair, his reply 'yes, so what do you expect us to do'

Incidently the only time we see police enforcing the traffic laws on this soi is at the end of the month when collecting their tea money.

Thai drivers know that the police will not go out of their way to prosecute them and if they do the punishment is next to nothing, nothing will change when this is the laws attitude!

When? When better mass-transit systems are in place. When there are less privately owned cars and motorcycles. The reason why there are so many cars is because mass transit systems are virtually non-existent. Perhaps the private vehicle corporations' lobby is so strong that they impede any plan to reduce car sales. All goes back to a different problem altogether.

' The govt and police must clamp down on drunk and dangerous driving, enforce the law and punish the guilty' Yeah right, the police are only interested if it benefits them.

Thursday evening, my Thai wife was going to the market on her motosai, riding down soi siam country club, Pattaya. My wife is a very cautious rider, never goes over 40kph, anyway a large truck comes speeding from behind, honking on his horn telling her to get out of the way, now this is a very busy soi in the evening so the truck could not overtake her because of on coming traffic and she could not move any further to the left as there are always parked cars, the truck driver just kept honking at her until he intimidated her so far over she clipped a car and was off the bike, he then honked again a few meters down the road as if it was funny.

A few of the witnesses who helped my wife get up from the ground had got the details of the truck so after taking my wife to the hospital, she is badly bruised and grazed we/she limped into Banglamung police station to file a report, after getting the run around for 2 hrs sent to different departments and talking to several members of the police force we finally get to make a report, the cop listened to my wife, looked at the details of the truck then slouched back in his chair, his reply 'yes, so what do you expect us to do'

Incidently the only time we see police enforcing the traffic laws on this soi is at the end of the month when collecting their tea money.

Thai drivers know that the police will not go out of their way to prosecute them and if they do the punishment is next to nothing, nothing will change when this is the laws attitude!

Very sad story, but I've encountered this first hand also. I was run off the road by a truck coming the other way. He didn't want to hit a small hole in the road so just ran me off on the other side.

If you would have offered money, the police would have done something. Otherwise, like you said, nothing in it for them. Until the police are reformed, no changes in carnage on the roads.

The Government should come up with a slogan like "Only 300 in 2020", because if they worked really hard, they may just achieve that. Anything less and they are only fooling themselves.

Rural Thai people rarely have licenses and learnt to drive by osmosis. They regularly drive drunk with a truck full of people. They don't wear helmets and bikes often don't work properly.

If Western countries cannot solve the problem with all the education, laws, police, breathalyzers and penalties, what chance does Thailand have?

It's lip service. If they were serious, they could make a dent on the deaths and injuries. All we get is reasons why they can't solve the problem, not plans on how they will.

No Government has been brave enough to tackle this problem...and none will.

Her message is about responsible driving, which seems absent come the New Year holiday. The point is that most of these road causalities involve young motorcyclists, their failure to wear a helmet, and drunk driving. Other factors contribute, such as speeding, jumping red lights, distracted driving, reckless driving, unsafe lane changes, driving under the influence of drugs, and fatigue. But these are overwhelmed by the impact of alcohol consumption.

I just love the first sentence. Above?

Monitored, strict enforcement of the Law. Could possibly help?

jb1

The Government should come up with a slogan like "Only 300 in 2020", because if they worked really hard, they may just achieve that. Anything less and they are only fooling themselves.

Rural Thai people rarely have licenses and learnt to drive by osmosis. They regularly drive drunk with a truck full of people. They don't wear helmets and bikes often don't work properly.

If Western countries cannot solve the problem with all the education, laws, police, breathalyzers and penalties, what chance does Thailand have?

It's lip service. If they were serious, they could make a dent on the deaths and injuries. All we get is reasons why they can't solve the problem, not plans on how they will.

No Government has been brave enough to tackle this problem...and none will.

Actually, traffic accidents have been going down in the US. So they must be doing something right????

http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/Main/index.aspx

the answer is simple :

-make them pass a real test drive first

-enforce the law and not let the police use it as a tea money

-use and abuse of radars

-yearly safety control of the cars and their condition

-swiss systems for the fines : the amount of the fine is determined by the amount of money you earn, so even the high so will care about the law

Thailand's manufacturing industries and hospitals can implement ISO standards. Why cant the government follow suit over the issue of road safety.

Road traffic injuries have become the leading killer of young people aged 15-29 years. Almost 1.3 million people die each year on the world's roads, making this the ninth leading cause of death globally. In addition to these deaths, road crashes cause between 20 million and 50 million non-fatal injuries every year. In many countries, emergency care and other support services for road traffic victims are inadequate. These avoidable injuries overload already stretched health services.

The UN started a decade of Action, launched on 11 May 2011, seeks to prevent road traffic deaths and injuries which experts’ project will take the lives of 1.9 million people annually by 2020.

ISO has developed more than 800 standards for the automotive sector, including more than 200 related to the specific subject of road safety through its two technical committees: ISO/TC 22, Road vehicles and ISO/TC 204, Intelligent transport systems.

Eagerly awaiting Thailand implementing CREDIBLE driving tests, STOPPING kids from riding motorcycles, JAILING drunk drivers.

What's shocking is that around 12,000 Thais are killed on the roads per year, or about two persons per hour. In other words, every day, approximately 50 people who leave home for work, school or shopping never return because of road accidents.

What's shocking is that around 12,000 Thais are killed on the roads per year, or about 1,3 persons per hour. In other words, every day, approximately 32 people who leave home for work, school or shopping never return because of road accidents.

Newyear: approx 350 dead in 7 days = 2 persons per hour.

Fine them off the road.

A 10,000bt flat fine for every offence, whilst appearing high, is just a payment to be made by offenders. Those that don't break any laws don't have anything to worry about.

Cannot pay - then imprisonment.

2nd and subsequent offences would mean doubling of the fines each time.

Simple, and cost effective.

They would all very quickly learn!

Fine them off the road.

A 10,000bt flat fine for every offence, whilst appearing high, is just a payment to be made by offenders. Those that don't break any laws don't have anything to worry about.

Yes, how much more tea money the BiB can make.

Nothing is going to change unless corruption is targeted first.

Edited by PoorSucker

Fine them off the road.

Can't see that working. At such a high fine amount people would be desperate to pay a much smaller amount to avoid being fined. BiB might well be tempted to accept such offerings.

Life is cheap in Thailand, if a person causes an accident where people are killed or injured, they fill no guilt or shame, its MAI PEN RAI, and i will just go on enjoying my life. If a falang is killed, well is tough, if they had not been in this country they would still be alive, so its not their fault. The government and the police are incompetent buffons, so nothing will ever be done to stop this carnage. NEVER UNDER ESTIMATE THE STUPITY OF THAI DRIVERS !!!!!!!!

I often wonder where they get their info for reporting? Stated:

an ordinary breath analyser that can only detect the blood-alcohol level but does not give an immediate printout result cannot be used to prosecute drunk drivers according to the law.

First, it can and does. What I think he refers to is a road side tester. Used in civilized countries for "probable cause" for a breath demand. Unfortunitly, they require training of not only the operator, but the person that calibrates them weekly. Can't see that ever being done. Also, when would "probable cause" ever stop RTP from arresting a man that has alcohol on his breath? Drunk Driving Enforcement works if it's worked by Police.

I have also never heard of anyone being charged with "Vehicular Manslaughter" or something like it here in Thailand? Maybe the excuse "I was too drunk to know any better" works here.

I drove for the first time from BKK to CM on Thursday, I was surprized at the quality of the roads. I'm not saying they are the best but I left BKK with very low expectations. Anyway, crash count on the way up? Just the one, two Thais had been thrown from the rear of a pick up. It appeared that the pick up had hit the grass verge on the fast lane and spun. Result? Two Thais lying dead and blood spattered all over the road.

The first thing police should do is ban this nonsense of whole families sitting unsecured on the bed of pick up trucks which are flying up the road at 140kmh. There is no margin for error and the consequences are shocking.

If that means more tea money for the police then great, that will motivate them to man the checkpoints and fine the drivers. I would rather see the police collect more money than witness those two corpses on the road again. Thank god none of them were children.

Fine them off the road.

Can't see that working. At such a high fine amount people would be desperate to pay a much smaller amount to avoid being fined. BiB might well be tempted to accept such offerings.

Let the BiB have half. There would be an incentive for them not to accept 2/300bt. Their extra income would soon dry up!

I always find these types of threads rather ridiculous ways of "Thai bashing"... and many "farangs just stick their heads in the sand", as though there are no accidents in their home countries...mad.gif ...

The reason for probably more fatalities here is there is a much higher use of motor bikes, which would increase the numbers, just from having less protection... helmet or not....

The link below shows figures from a number of countries around the world...

Agreed that in some countries numbers are down, but that surely if because of stricter law inforcment.... Yet many people in these forums, turn it into being a money grab by the BIB... good for them! (the BIB that is)....

http://www.car-accid...to_country.html

Edited by samuijimmy

Fine them off the road.

Let the BiB have half. There would be an incentive for them not to accept 2/300bt. Their extra income would soon dry up!

I think it would have the opposite effect. The BiB would be even more eager to book people. They wouldn't care whether people were in the wrong or not.

Monetarily incentivising police can never work.

Look at how it is now, a system that is effectively incentivised. They pull people over for alleged infractions, people allegedly pay them a bit of tea money to forget the fine, police make money, and are pulling over more people, whether they are in the wrong or not.

Agreed the number of fatalities in Thai road accidents is higher than in the west, due to the number of motorbikes, BUT the accident happens first.

It is the accident rate that needs to be reduced, be it car, bus, truck or motorbike. And that can only effectively be done by strict law enforcement. That won't happen unless it pays the police to enforce the law, and a hefty percentage of every heavy fine, is the encouragement they need, plus the incentive motorists need to comply with the law.

Agreed the number of fatalities in Thai road accidents is higher than in the west, due to the number of motorbikes, BUT the accident happens first.

It is the accident rate that needs to be reduced, be it car, bus, truck or motorbike. And that can only effectively be done by strict law enforcement. That won't happen unless it pays the police to enforce the law, and a hefty percentage of every heavy fine, is the encouragement they need, plus the incentive motorists need to comply with the law.

100% agree with 'It is the accident rate that needs to be reduced, be it car, bus, truck or motorbike. And that can only effectively be done by strict law enforcement.'

We disagree on the fine details of the method of law enforcement.

100% agree with 'It is the accident rate that needs to be reduced, be it car, bus, truck or motorbike. And that can only effectively be done by strict law enforcement.'

We disagree on the fine details of the method of law enforcement.

Then Bookman, given that corruption is not going away, what realistic method of law enforcement do you suggest?

Edited by prakhonchai nick