Tywais

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi All

Not new to Thailand but I am new to this Forum. Looks like a good forum and there doesn't seem to be any nastiness or bitterness on this forum that is prevalent on many others. Good to be here.

Cheers

Early days for you laugh.png . I jest, welcomeani.gif, T/A

Hello All.

I'm a longtime lurker and have just joined the community.

I'm not in Thailand at the moment (am in Australia) but lived in BKK for five years 90-95 and we have travelled back to the LoS for one - two months every year since. Thai wife (Nakorn Sawan) and I have been married 22 years & we have a 21yo daughter and 18yo son (everybody in the family has dual nationality except me!). We are currently running our third Thai restaurant here in Queensland.

I'm 55 and will be retiring next year - the wife and I will be heading back to Thailand to see out our days, so presume I will have plenty of questions over the coming months (only if I can't the find the answer by searching of course)

Regards, L

• Like 2

Thankyou craigt3365. I've never found any information source better than ThaiVisa. Many of the members are very well qualified and knowlegable (although sometimes it does take a little let's say, 'sifting' to find them!)

I'm sure my wife's plans to establish a business will incite some lively banter .... but she ain't no fly-by-night bar owner.

I have always enjoyed reading your own posts by the way. Thanks again for the welcome.

If anyone has any questions relating to matters at this end, I can't promise to be running to consulates and so forth, but please feel free to ask ... I may be able to help.

• Like 1

Hi, I married a thai national in May this year(left in late June) after several trips over to buy frangipani(plumeria), moved over in late July to live and start growing them here. I am living in Surat Thani(Phokhuntale), already have my thai drivers and bike licences, leasing a small block of land that I have fenced and added to the soil composition, have vegetables growing already and will be planting frangipani next week, I do my own cross pollination to get new colours and results here are a lot quicker. I am from Australia(Ballina, NSW) and back home everyone knows me as the frangipani man from the talks I give around the country and my website. I am a mad keen fisho but as yet havent had much luck here, seems that a lot of the areas I have been to are fished out. Really enjoy being here, cant speak the language yet but I will learn, like most of the food apart from the really hot stuff and some of the more exotic things(frogs, intestines etc).

Still getting used to the drivers/riders, no indicators, cutting you off, driving towards you on the wrong side of the road, going through red lights, it can be a nightmare but I quite enjoy it really, a bit like the old dodgem cars. I head back to Australia for a 12 month visa in 4 weeks, only staying long enough(6 days) to get approval and some cuttings from the farm just outside Ballina where I helped build up a frangipani business(frangipani grove), a lot of seedlings I developed are growing there.

I feel pretty much at home here, all the thai people I have met are brilliant and make me feel very welcome, love the place and this forum is brilliant too, great info and help for those of us that really need it.

Cheers

Dennis biggrin.png

• Like 1

Hi, I married a thai national in May this year(left in late June) after several trips over to buy frangipani(plumeria), moved over in late July to live and start growing them here. I am living in Surat Thani(Phokhuntale), already have my thai drivers and bike licences, leasing a small block of land that I have fenced and added to the soil composition, have vegetables growing already and will be planting frangipani next week, I do my own cross pollination to get new colours and results here are a lot quicker. I am from Australia(Ballina, NSW) and back home everyone knows me as the frangipani man from the talks I give around the country and my website. I am a mad keen fisho but as yet havent had much luck here, seems that a lot of the areas I have been to are fished out. Really enjoy being here, cant speak the language yet but I will learn, like most of the food apart from the really hot stuff and some of the more exotic things(frogs, intestines etc).

Still getting used to the drivers/riders, no indicators, cutting you off, driving towards you on the wrong side of the road, going through red lights, it can be a nightmare but I quite enjoy it really, a bit like the old dodgem cars. I head back to Australia for a 12 month visa in 4 weeks, only staying long enough(6 days) to get approval and some cuttings from the farm just outside Ballina where I helped build up a frangipani business(frangipani grove), a lot of seedlings I developed are growing there.

I feel pretty much at home here, all the thai people I have met are brilliant and make me feel very welcome, love the place and this forum is brilliant too, great info and help for those of us that really need it.

Cheers

Dennis biggrin.png

Welcome and good luck
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I'm Derek.

Once I've sold my shop (just found a buyer) me and my Pakpoom will be moving to thoeng. He is from there but moved to the UK 7 years ago to study which is when I got my claws into him LOL

But he misses his family and I'm almost 50 and hate paying for spray-tan so we've decided to up sticks and relocate. Never been to thoeng and I actually thought it was spelled tongue which didn't go down too well with some of folk that live nearby LOL

So hopefully we'll be arriving early 2013, very excited and a bit scared but this lovely forum is already helping somewhat, there is some very friendly (and handsome) people on here LMFAO

• 2 weeks later...

Hi...I am also new here and am looking forward to hearing from everyone. My Question would be, since my husband and me are seriously considering moving to Thailand, since my daughter already lives there with her husband and baby.

Currently we live in Germany and you can imagine how difficult live is here.

I've already lived in BKK back in 2005 and had to move back to Germany for family reasons. My husband has never been out of the country.

Here is my question:

How hard is it to find a job at the age of 52 yrs. old. In the past I've worked as a teacher in BKK and would like to do that again, due to the fact, I AM a real teacher with real qualifications, but going thru the ads, everyone seems to be looking for the younger ones. I also have office and sales experience and don't mind working in that field either.

Here in Germany I am a professional singer/musician/songwriter and earn my living this way along with being a self-employed english/music/vocal teacher and would also like to continue with music in Thailand, maybe find a band as well. What are my chances on things there? Many of you have been living there for quite a while I assume, and I really would be thankful for some advice and answers.

Looking forward to hearing from you...with the best regards and many greetz from Germany...Claudia :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Quick introduction, not a resident of Thailand as yet but currently that is the long term goal. Work and live in he UK, manage to visit 2 to 3 times a year for a good holiday. Always hung around Pattaya for the last few years and looking to expand my horizons to other parts of the country hence my joining this forum for some info. Looking to do Krabi, Phuket and islands next trip.

Hope I learn a bit and hopefully I can contribute a bit.

Thanks

Hi everyone I am a Newbie as you say, but I've been here almost a year in Bangkok and Chonburi Just outside of Pattaya. I make Karaokes just English ones not Thai (but I sing Thai songs thats another story ! tongue.png )

Does anyone know of a record store I mean CDs that sells English and/or Thai music (Originals) new or secondhand apart from the obvious places like in the shopping Malls Etc. ?

As you know companies like Amazon will not deliver to us, or Even sell Downloads.

someone had told me there was one in Pattaya but I've been asking around no one seems to know ?

Any ideas I would be grateful you can useually find me at SBI Karaoke pattaya Nua Friday nights having a few bevvies.. Take care everyone !wub.png

Hi...I am also new here and am looking forward to hearing from everyone. My Question would be, since my husband and me are seriously considering moving to Thailand, since my daughter already lives there with her husband and baby.

Currently we live in Germany and you can imagine how difficult live is here.

I've already lived in BKK back in 2005 and had to move back to Germany for family reasons. My husband has never been out of the country.

Here is my question:

How hard is it to find a job at the age of 52 yrs. old. In the past I've worked as a teacher in BKK and would like to do that again, due to the fact, I AM a real teacher with real qualifications, but going thru the ads, everyone seems to be looking for the younger ones. I also have office and sales experience and don't mind working in that field either.

Here in Germany I am a professional singer/musician/songwriter and earn my living this way along with being a self-employed english/music/vocal teacher and would also like to continue with music in Thailand, maybe find a band as well. What are my chances on things there? Many of you have been living there for quite a while I assume, and I really would be thankful for some advice and answers.

Looking forward to hearing from you...with the best regards and many greetz from Germany...Claudia smile.png

Hi, My names Simon, I am replying directly to you and have just joined this forum. I lived and worked in Bancock for 3 years. Your right they are looking for young people and they have no age descrimination laws here as they do in Europe.

I am assuming you have a degree and one thing they seem to like is Female teachers at the moment or at least in the schools I have worked, but as you know the job can be quite tough.

I think though you could apply for the better positions particularly if your degree is a Masters and in an Academic discipline such as English or even better Education.

Part of the reason they want younger people is so they can pay them less; the same as everywhere.

But I definitely think you have a chance (in my school they were taking on a lot of Russian women) But and this is a big, but they Technically want Native speakers so if you apply from abroad, where you are now they may want to interview you first.

(of course the Russian girls English was their second language)

I hope I have been of service to you, best of luck whatever you decide.smile.png

Simon By the way I am a Singer and love to sing too but just for fun ! PS There are a few centres Scattered around the country that teach Music and if you can teach any instrument I think you have a very good chance, when I went for an interview they asked me staight away, I play a bit of Keyboards but no where near good enough to teach.

I think you have a good chance.

Edited by henrythe8th

Hello everibody... I'm not that good at talking about myself, anyway... i've been living in Thailand for the last 2 years and i'm still here...

Best Regards wink.png

Yeah I hate that part too. I can write paragraphs solving other peoples problems, but only manage one line about myself sad.png I only joined this site to find out a bout any good record stores in and around pattaya. At least this forum has a good spell checker (no ctiticism Intended) rolleyes.gif Where in Thailand are you staying ?

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

I wish to send a friend in New Jersey a care package.

Blankets Dried fruits Nuts etc! Does anyone know if we can send dried fruits and Cashew Nuts, Pistacio Nuts and the like

Is there anything I need to have to do this?

I wish to send a friend in New Jersey a care package.

Blankets Dried fruits Nuts etc! Does anyone know if we can send dried fruits and Cashew Nuts, Pistacio Nuts and the like

Is there anything I need to have to do this?

This sub forum is only used to introduce yourself. Not for asking questions. Please use one of the other sub forums for that. This question would be more appropriate in the General sub forum.

But to answer your question, I'd recommend ordering something from an online store in the US and having it shipped to your friend from there. Much easier and much cheaper.