Foodland'S Open

Lodestone

...to begin the new year!

Don't let the still gutted buildings closer to Sukhumvit shy you away. Directly across from the Amari Boulevard hotel is a new smallish sign welcoming you in. There are still a few empty shelves and most prices aren't yet posted, but It looks generally the same. The most noticeable difference is the Took La Dee lunch counter is now larger with an oval shaped counter with seating all around. Also all the aisles are pretty much in a different order, e.g. produce and booze are now on the right side (as you enter) rather than the left as before.

post-52906-0-61724000-1325401518_thumb.j

excellent news.Should stay in the General part.

Actually, a lot of members who live in Bangkok do not follow the General forum. As I did not when I lived in Bangkok a few years ago and before becoming a mod. So probably best in this forum.

It's good to see Foodland back on Soi 5, they have done a nice job of the refurb/re-build, don't when it actually re-opened but I was staying at the Amari opposite last night and popped in yesterday, all the staff were shaking each others hands so assume it had just re-opened.

Went there for my breakfast this morning, the place was packed, my 99 Baht "English Breakfast" was certainly better than the Amari 500 Baht offering, there was a steady stream from the Amari.

Excellent news as was my favourite local store and used to have great deafood. Now if they have just done something about the disreputables that used to hang around would be brilliant. Always felt like I need to take some firepower with me, and the TGF will not go there unless I am with her.

Cheers

Now if they have just done something about the disreputables that used to hang around would be brilliant. Always felt like I need to take some firepower with me, and the TGF will not go there unless I am with her.

Cheers

Come on, the "disreputables" were what made the place what it was. Anyway, that description probably applies the majority of Bangkok's literary elite.

"Come on, the "disreputables" were what made the place what it was. Anyway, that description probably applies the majority of Bangkok's literary elite."

Not those disreputables.

The ones wearing the sheets I can handle, even to point of helpfully suggesting that the deodorant section is in aisle 5, not for all of them, but a regular thing. Even if they tsk tsk at me while I am checking out the wine, and try and push in front all the time at the register. I just put that down to a limited exposure to the real world which leaves them ignorant of how things are. And I am more than willing to show them how a queue works and put two bottles of wine in my basket to show how choice, free of religous interference works.

The worrying ones are of the very suntanned variety who seem primarily involved in either the sale or consumption (both?) of various mind altering chemicals. I have seen some strange things done by people using these chemicals, and have no desire to involved in their mind altered antics or perceptions of threats or slight.

I was down to Gullivers a few times last month and there were no noticeable problems in the area, hopefully this continues.

Cheers

Actually, the Foodland Soi 5 is going to operate 24 hours, as well...

And although the Soi 16 location was OK, and certainly in a less "disreputable" area, it never has had the same range and diversity of stock as Soi 5 had... The packaged fresh meat selection at Soi 16 was always sparse compared to the nice range of things that Soi 5 had on offer.

There's a big color advertising circular that was distributed around my neighorhood that says they're having a sale from Jan 8 to 23 and listing the various specials.

Store phone number listed as 02 - 254-2247.

oh, please...is there still parking available and do they still have a pharmacy?

they oughta print bumper stickers like they got for presidential candidates in the US: 'FOODLAND - SUK SOI 5' an' I'll get one for my new pickup...I'm a supporter...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I've been in a couple of times since it opened. It does appear that there is parking in the garage above. The space seems a bit smaller. The pharmacy and the space around it that used to lead to the Sukhumvit passageway is gone, at least for now.

Some areas are reversed from before. Deli is on the left side as you enter and produce is where deli used to be. Fresh meats are still along the back wall, packaged meats are there as well and the bakery is in a similar position to before. The food aisles seem wider but I believe there is one less than before. I noticed a number of items I used to purchase (capers, certain pickles, sauces and spices) were not evident. I suppose it may take a while for some items to re-appear.

As the OP pointed out, the lunch counter is now an oval with seating behind the front window where the cooking and prep was before. Cooking is now done one the right end of the counter; as you enter; same girls, efficiently cooking and bantering as always. Prices seem to have been bumped up a little bit.

All in all, as similar to the original as one could hope for; a Bangkok institution has been preserved pretty much intact.

Edited by dddave

sounds great; the pharmacy was always convenient but the big one on suk next to soi nana is not too far away...also good to hear that the aisles are a bit wider as the old narrow ones useta be my only complaint...

thank goodness for the parking as we live out of town and would do a big falang goods shopping when in lower suk and need to have the car close by to load up... Foodland Soi 5 always seemed to have everything that I wanted and the wife likes it too...cans of garbanzos and grapefruit juice and the cheapest vodka in town...nice smoked ham and sausages...etc and an excellent bakery...I wouldn't wait and pour meself a voddy and grapefruit juice and make a deli ham on rye in the van for the ride back to Suphanburi...hog heaven...

a BKK institution indeed...

Foodland seems to be the only place in Bangkok where you can buy the Boursin cream cheese with garlic. It's not cheap but it's very tasty. I last saw it in the Soi 16 branch at least three months ago, with a bit of luck they'll stock it at the new one.

• 2 weeks later...

"Come on, the "disreputables" were what made the place what it was. Anyway, that description probably applies the majority of Bangkok's literary elite."

Not those disreputables.

The ones wearing the sheets I can handle, even to point of helpfully suggesting that the deodorant section is in aisle 5, not for all of them, but a regular thing. Even if they tsk tsk at me while I am checking out the wine, and try and push in front all the time at the register. I just put that down to a limited exposure to the real world which leaves them ignorant of how things are. And I am more than willing to show them how a queue works and put two bottles of wine in my basket to show how choice, free of religous interference works.

The worrying ones are of the very suntanned variety who seem primarily involved in either the sale or consumption (both?) of various mind altering chemicals. I have seen some strange things done by people using these chemicals, and have no desire to involved in their mind altered antics or perceptions of threats or slight.

I was down to Gullivers a few times last month and there were no noticeable problems in the area, hopefully this continues.

Cheers

'Those wearing sheets' tend to send a servant or junior family member to shop for items they would never be seen to be wanting. I've seen many a trolley loaded with various liquors heading across to the Amari.

Strange how destinations such as Bangkok, London and Marbella suddenly become popular during the holy month.

Having said that, Foodland Soi 5 is most definitely open again and all is well with the world wai.gif

I've now been there a couple of times in recent weeks for regular shopping, and I'd say for the most part, their range of stock and products appears to be comparable to what they had before...

Some things still seem to be short stocked as they have been since the floods.... But that appears to be a supply issue more than a store configuration or merchandising decision. For the most part, things are back to normal there.

I've now been there a couple of times in recent weeks for regular shopping, and I'd say for the most part, their range of stock and products appears to be comparable to what they had before...

Some things still seem to be short stocked as they have been since the floods.... But that appears to be a supply issue more than a store configuration or merchandising decision. For the most part, things are back to normal there.

So if took la dee is bigger, does that mean the smallish retail area is even smaller?

I can't say based on measurements, James...

But based on stocking and areas devoted to different kinds of products (dairy, bakery, fresh veggies, meats, etc etc), the new store looks to be pretty comparable to what existed before.

The fresh bakery area itself might be a bit smaller in terms of products displayed... And my impression was the packaged fresh meats sections has gotten smaller too... But the non-packaged fresh meats section (meaning the butcher's section) looks to be the same as before...

The rest of the store, in terms of aisles and shelving, seemed pretty comparable... when I went around looking for things I was accustomed to finding before.

I can't say based on measurements, James...

But based on stocking and areas devoted to different kinds of products (dairy, bakery, fresh veggies, meats, etc etc), the new store looks to be pretty comparable to what existed before.

The fresh bakery area itself might be a bit smaller in terms of products displayed... And my impression was the packaged fresh meats sections has gotten smaller too... But the non-packaged fresh meats section (meaning the butcher's section) looks to be the same as before...

The rest of the store, in terms of aisles and shelving, seemed pretty comparable... when I went around looking for things I was accustomed to finding before.

Don't think there's an ATM in there now, though there is across the road to the right of the Amari.

There's tons of ATMs around the area...

But now that you mention it, there used to be a cleaners/laundry place inside the old Foodland there, and a couple other shops including a small pharmacy, I think, over to the left as you entered... And as best as I noticed on my recent visits, those adjunct shops don't seem to have re-surfaced in the new market...