I'D Like To Know Everything About Visa Runs

Taken from website of Thai Embassy Canberra.

It is a Consulate in Sydney, not an Embassy.

VALIDITY OF VISA:

Visa has a three (3) month validity and as a result, must be utilized within three (3) months from the date of issue. (more than 3-months up to 1-year validity of visa may be granted on a case-by-case basis if more than one or multiple entry visa is issued.)

Difficult to reply to someone that gives so little info.

How long do you wish to stay ? Age ? Married to a Thai ? what part of Thailand do you live/stay ?

Lots of different options based on the above.

If you are staying for a few months then would be much easier + cheaper to get a Visa, unless you live next to a Boarder..

Remember Cambodia and Laos you need to get a Visa to enter = money + a full page stamp in passport......... Burma is just a small in and out stamp + $100 or 500 baht, Malaysia also just a small in and out stamp...

To get a Tourist Visa cast 1,000 baht and gives you 60 days, if you use KL then you can also get a extension for another 30 days from your local Immigration 1,900 baht........ Then you can go back to KL and do the same again.... As of last month The Thai Embassy in KL said there is NO limit to how many times you can do this....

Many reports on the Tourist Visa in Penang, No limit as long as there back to back without any extension.

Friends go to Laos, appears no problem and get a double entry Visa = 2x 60 days + 2x extensions = 6 months on 1x visit out of Thailand..... ALL IN price from Bangkok via a Mini bus, meals. Hotel, Visa, and all services taken care of for you at Boarders and Embassy = 8,000 baht.

If going to KL from Bangkok then Royal Jordanian Airways is 1st class service, 3,000 baht return + taxes = 6,200 baht, leaves BKK at 15:00... return 22:00 [ Air Asia maybe cheaper if you book many months in advance ] Plenty of Hotels in KL from 200+ baht per night you need to stay 2 nights, easy to get everywhere by the train/underground + cheap, Thai Embassy just a short walk from the underground.

So if you wish to stay longer then 1 or 2 boarder runs then would be cheaper and a lot less hassle to get a Visa [Visa is easy 1x Visa Application form can download...... photo + photo copy of passport ID page you will need this on a boarder run]

Edited by ignis

For a two entry visa the 3 month validity should not be an issue for most people if you just keep in mind to obtain just prior to travel and to make second entry before expiration date on the visa. Only a couple of days more would be available if you had the 6 month validity.

6 month validity is good if you want to travel around either before you enter thailand or in the middle you can have a gap of many weeks/months in between the entries to visit a different country etc.

many people tie the border runs in with spending a month or two in a different country.

you may also be able to extend an extension - possibly can add 7 days onto the 30 days but i have never done that.

Friends go to Laos, appears no problem and get a double entry Visa = 2x 60 days + 2x extensions = 6 months on 1x visit out of Thailand..... ALL IN price from Bangkok via a Mini bus, meals. Hotel, Visa, and all services taken care of for you at Boarders and Embassy = 8,000 baht.

Firstly, excuse my ignorance. The Thai Embassy in Laos issues visas for all? regardless of citizenship?

Is there a limit to how many times this can be done? Is it common for them to refuse a visa in that situation?

Like the OP, I'm interested in staying for as long as possible without complications (obviously).

If I'm issued a 60 day visa with 3 entries, doesn't it expire after 60 days? or do I get a new 60 day period on the point of re-entry making the duration 180 days with possible extensions?

You will not obtain a three entry visa period in any local Consulate - the entries would have to be made during the validity of the visa which is either 3 or 6 months from date of issue.

Consulates will issue tourist visa to those eligible to obtain - not all nationalities are eligible as some must obtain in there home country or require residency.

Yes it is becoming common to refuse a visa to those suspected of working.

A visa expires on use (to enter country) but the permitted to stay is what allows your stay and that is what is extended.

Hello

I will be coming to thailand on a tourist visa (american)and retired. Any info anyone can give me to make my transition easier would be great. As they say my cup is empty. My destination is Bangkok and I'm looking for a not so expensive hotel to stay for a few months until I understand the ground rule's of the lay of the land. Im not looking for a dive hotel, but one which has the basic's and a comfortable bed to sleep with wifi etc...So if anyone can led me in the right direction I would really appreiate it. My time of arrival will be around March 2012....thank you

ken, I went to BKK in Sept and stayed for 30 days. I also looked for cheap hotel and found one on OnNut station. The name of the hotel is Imm-Fusion. It is located on 1594/50 Sukhumvit road. Tel: 023315555. The standard room is 600 baht($20). It is located right on the BTS so transportation is very easy to anywhere. Wifi is available and very fast.