House Security In Pattaya

Capealava

Hello,

I am thinking of buying a home in Pattaya next year. Most likely East Pattaya, but looking all over. With the rise of home burglaries and other types theft against farangs in Phuket and Pattaya I am concerned about that. Should one feel safe concerning the stuff one keeps in their house. I know some villages have security and some are gated, but that rarely stops a determined thieve. Can one purchase Home theft insurance in Thailand? Insurance or not any home invasion would be traumatic. Would like to know what I am getting into concerning this when buying a home. Any advise I receive will be appreciated

My family/me lives in a gated village near BKK/Pattaya hospital and had big problems with theft in the past (not our house) with people stealing/entering some houses.

I have spend a lot of money on stainless steel bars on all windows and good door locks which makes us sleep much better at night. My first house had a sophisticated bugler alarm system with infrared sensors which also was good but we sometimes forgot to switch it off when going downstairs and setting it off unwanted, he-he.

I still prefer living in a house compared to a condo as we has a very nice garden and I can't afford a 300 M2 condo.

Sad to live in Thailand locked as in South Africa...

No real solution but condo ?

Utter nonsense!!

The level of security you have will depend on where you stay, i see some places like Pratumnak where people have electric fences around their walls - this gives the perception of having something worth stealing inside so a determined thief will find a way in wheather there is something worth stealing or not!

But, on the other hand, where i live in Huay Yai i see a lot of people with no window bars and not even walls / gates around their homes and they have no problems at all....different community / different people / different quality of life.

Opting for a condo over a house over security concerns is complete nonsense, the two are completely different living and lifestyles.

We live near the Ambassador. Our village had one break in a few years ago and nothing since then. That house was left empty for 6 months. Alarm was off. It was on the outer wall. So a bit vulnerable.

I think a security system is a good thing. Bars on windows are not a bad idea either, if you live in a vulnerable area. Don't forget the roof. Easy access there.

But nothing will prevent a determined thief. As for problems here in Thailand compared to other countries?

To put things in perspective, if this article can be believed:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1196941/The-violent-country-Europe-Britain-worse-South-Africa-U-S.html

I am not sure of the percentages so am making an assumption so please correct me if you know better. I believe the majority of burglaries in Pattaya are on an opportunity basis. I did have security bars but they hadn't been installed correctly and were levered out of the wall allowing them to be bent up for access. Since than I have had the fitting on the bars fixed and fitted my own imported alarm system (sorry the cynic in me does not trust Thai security firms) and have been trouble free for 5 years. If you are on a busy Moo Bahn and have bars and an externally visible alarm system I think you should be fine.

We live in e Pattaya on an estate ,there was a break in the other day ,just a sneak theif and he was chased off by residents .

we have an alarm system ,the one time it went off by accident there was a crowd outside our house in minutes. i find thats the best opption as i dislike bars on the windows.

Edited by Rimmer
Font underline removed

I think I'd rather be in a nice condo, with a big balcony and panoramic view over the sea/hills/city/whatever, and no bars, and no alarm, and little or no likelihood of being burgled.

I see no attraction at all in house "ownership" here.

I think I'd rather be in a nice condo, with a big balcony and panoramic view over the sea/hills/city/whatever, and no bars, and no alarm, and little or no likelihood of being burgled.

Nice to know that condo's not get broken into here in Pattaya.

One option may be to live in a house next to some big hotels as the security guards in the big hotels will put off thieves. In Jomtien by the Thapraya roundabout the security of the hotels Aiyaree and Jomtien longstay makes staying in the adjacent houses relatively safe. Never heard of a break in since I was here.

I've lived in both condos and houses. Love my house, private pool, large garden, no noise from neighbors, butterflies, birds, and yes, snakes. sad.png

Most of my experiences in condos involved noise from neighbors.

• Like 1

I've lived in both condos and houses. Love my house, private pool, large garden, no noise from neighbors, butterflies, birds, and yes, snakes. sad.png

Most of my experiences in condos involved noise from neighbors.

I would agree on that one Mr Lovetotravel, Every condo I have lived in has been a miserable experience.

Just take a few reasonable precautions with your house and your chances of being robbed reduce dramatically.

Our house has everything you have including the snakes but we would never change it for high rise.

Edited by CatCage
  • Like 1

I would rather be in a quite, spacious detached house, with no bars on the windows on a secure estate that has never had a break in with little or no likelihood of being broken into.

I see absolutely no attraction in living in a downtown "box" amongst the pollution and noise...........

Each to their own

Ok i suppose if your a single guy with no familly ,but as many of us have wives and kids a condo is like a prison ,my wife loves gardening and my son likes having a massive bedroom of his own with an area where he can study ,we also want to be well away from town ,so horses for courses

Plant Bouganville [as I have] by your outside fences/walls.I also have an alarm I rigged up which will only go off when certain doors are opened in my house.

Sensors were set off by geckos so are no use.

I have also rigged up a switch in my bedroom which will set off the alarm should I hear anyone in the house whilst in bed.

I would not swap my house for any condo.

Ok i suppose if your a single guy with no familly ,but as many of us have wives and kids a condo is like a prison ,my wife loves gardening and my son likes having a massive bedroom of his own with an area where he can study ,we also want to be well away from town ,so horses for courses

Exactly.

Before we moved into a house, we lived in an older condo (rented) and boy what a nightmare it was, with constantly somebody in the building redecorating with very noisy equipment running during daylight. One time our toilet got showered with water each time the guy next floor up was taking a shower so we got his dirty shower water all over the place, disgusting.

2 guys jumped from the roof were not a nice sight as well, thankfully we didn't have kids then.

I don't miss condo life at all.

If you are able to build from the ground up, there are many things you can do to reduce the possibility of someone breaking in. Spend some time online and also talk to security (non-thai) experts. See what they do in parts of Africa and other parts of the world in high crime areas. Many things can be done to reduce the risk.

Also, make note that many of the break-ins in Thailand occur with the thief coming in through the roof (they remove the tiles and drop right in), or through security bars they were able to break.

A Thai burgulary is very rarely a planned thing, it is a spur of the moment decision when they are short of cash.

I live in East Pattaya (Soi Siam) and have installed reed switches to every window & door. They set off iff anyone moves a window or door.

I feel this stops them getting in as opposed to notifying you when someone is in the home.

We have had some breakins in my village, but the homes had no security alarms.

People will not enter a home with security, I had some stickers made up in bright red stating this home has the latest security & there is a strobe light visable as well.

So far so good

I would rather be in a quite, spacious detached house, with no bars on the windows on a secure estate that has never had a break in with little or no likelihood of being broken into.

I see absolutely no attraction in living in a downtown "box" amongst the pollution and noise...........

Each to their own

Where is this mystical village?

Ok i suppose if your a single guy with no familly ,but as many of us have wives and kids a condo is like a prison ,

Indeed. I have never understood why anyone with a family even thinks about living in a condo. Most unsuitable.

Before we moved into a house, we lived in an older condo (rented) and boy what a nightmare it was, with constantly somebody in the building redecorating with very noisy equipment running during daylight. One time our toilet got showered with water each time the guy next floor up was taking a shower so we got his dirty shower water all over the place, disgusting.

2 guys jumped from the roof were not a nice sight as well, thankfully we didn't have kids then.

Maybe you should have tried a better building. My neighbour's bath doesnt leak into mine and there dont seem to be any refits going on.

I like my panoramic view, the fresh air on the balcony, the proximity to the beach and eating places, not needing to fit alarms or bars, having a huge guarded car park, and being able to use a giant pool without having to wonder about who is cleaning it and how much it is costing.

For this I will cheerfully put up with the occasional Pattaya Flyer going past my window.

Maybe you should have tried a better building. My neighbour's bath doesnt leak into mine and there dont seem to be any refits going on.

I like my panoramic view, the fresh air on the balcony, the proximity to the beach and eating places, not needing to fit alarms or bars, having a huge guarded car park, and being able to use a giant pool without having to wonder about who is cleaning it and how much it is costing.

For this I will cheerfully put up with the occasional Pattaya Flyer going past my window.

Ok i suppose if your a single guy with no familly ,but as many of us have wives and kids a condo is like a prison ,

Indeed. I have never understood why anyone with a family even thinks about living in a condo. Most unsuitable.

Unless they get something like this!

http://inside-real-e...er-hands-on-it/

post-5869-0-22226900-1325647659_thumb.jp

• 4 weeks later...

concerning insurance,

there are international insurance comp., operating in Thailand,

different conditions, with axa, you will also have coverage for the outside part of the aircon.

If you leave your house for a couple of month, you need a company, looking for your house every 7 days.

There is also a red box system, where the police is doing the monitoring job, but it depends on the area.

Insurance companies in Thailand will only refund you the time value,

there is one british company, offering insurance of refunding you the shop price,

http://intasure.com/thailand/index.asp?introducer=200000

but you should googel about the company.

When you have a case, most of the insurance companies are working with the same loss adjuster in your area.

I live in Huai Yai too but not on an estate, my house has got a perimeter wall but we dont have bars on the windows or anything like that, we have absolutely no problems at all, the area is quiet with a mix of Thai and a few Fallang and we have not heard of any breakins at all in our area. For me the biggest burgular deterant of all is a couple of big dogs we have 2 Rotties and have no security worries, if you where to spend your life in a constant state of fear or nervousness what is the point in moving here?

Security is only an issue if you don't have any and prevention is definately better than cure. It doesn't matter what area you're in, just try and minimize the risks by implementing some of your own security to discourage any would-be thieves. Relying solely on village/communal security is not always enough in some villages I'm afraid. International insurance companies such as QBE (Australian) offer good & relatively inexpensive house insurance. Perhaps others know more.

I live in Huai Yai too but not on an estate, my house has got a perimeter wall but we dont have bars on the windows or anything like that, we have absolutely no problems at all, the area is quiet with a mix of Thai and a few Fallang and we have not heard of any breakins at all in our area. For me the biggest burgular deterant of all is a couple of big dogs we have 2 Rotties and have no security worries, if you where to spend your life in a constant state of fear or nervousness what is the point in moving here?

after my first break in case in my home in hua yai, during a time of absence,

I started with a better protection.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f152/joecy66/house/IMG_20111104_170858.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f152/joecy66/house/IMG_20111104_171153.jpg

an alarm system, that gives you sms notice, if you spend some time on koh chang,

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Wireless-AUTODIAL-GSM-SMS-Home-Alarm-Security-System-II-/270687456565?pt=AU_Home_Personal_Security&hash=item3f063acd35

at the Häfele Shop Sukumvit. I found something, like this, for one of my outside doors

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Bandersicherung-ZI-IKON-/110675115938?pt=DE_Haus_Garten_Heimwerker_Sicherheitstechnik&hash=item19c4c03fa2

after my first break in case in my home in hua yai, during a time of absence,

I started with a better protection.

http://i47.photobuck...1104_170858.jpg

http://i47.photobuck...1104_171153.jpg

an alarm system, that gives you sms notice, if you spend some time on koh chang,

http://www.ebay.com....=item3f063acd35

at the Häfele Shop Sukumvit. I found something, like this, for one of my outside doors

http://www.ebay.de/i...=item19c4c03fa2

I do agree with you that there is always something more that you can do but if you knew somebody was in your house when you are away then for me I cannot really see the benefit, if I lived in an area where the Police where honest and reliable and would respond then that may lead me to think differently but unfortunatly I dont

I do not bury my head in the sand (hence the dogs) but I am realistic enough to realise that if someone is determined to get into your property and unlike most breakins it is not just an oppertunistic event then they will probably get in, as far as your metalwork around the aircon units all you need to take it off is a carjack and it takes seconds to do and why force a door when you can break a window....you see where I am going with this

There are scumbags everywhere but I still feel very safe where I live and certainly more so than I ever did in the Uk and I really dont lose any sleep over the what ifs