Free Visas 2012

In 2010, I was fortunate to get a double entry tourist visa, very hassle free, from the LA Consulate. No ticket required. I gladly spent the savings in Thailand, and appreciated the gesture. Are there any rumors about the Thai Gov. doing the same thing to boost tourism after the terrible flooding? Would like to save the 80 USD.

Even during the hight of the flooding free visas where not offered. Visitor numbers moving up, on my soi in Chiang Mai the business are doing better with farangs mostly from Germany and Holland and a few Americans, lots of Thais for New Year. Spend the money you maybe waiting for a while.

there has been a request to the goverement during the floods to issue free visa again and nothing happened.

There was also a request to the government during the floods to waive the overstay for people affected, nothing happemd.

IMHO, no free visa anymore

The tourist industry was clamouring for a repeat of free tourist visas but nothing happened. Could be that the Cabinet has other priorities.

25 billion US$ (750 bill. ThB)... as a result of the flooding, who cares about the pennies tourist, the trouble makers may or may not bring in?

One may have no doubts, someone, somewhere impressed by the results, may indeed reflect deeply about, how easy it was to make this money flow and how to repeat it, with such little or maybe no effort at all!

After all it's TiT!

Maestro, possible other priorities , what or who can that possibly be? That is a bit like "What is the capital of France?" Bit of a stumper!

Let your imagination run wild. Think of any government project that will best benefit the people whom the members of the Council of Ministers (Cabinet) think it should primarily benefit.

Those countries have bilateral fee exemptions.

List of countries which have concluded bilateral agreements

on visa fee exemption with Thailand

1. Malaysia

1. The Philippines (visa fee exemption for stay of not exceeding 59 days)

1. Singapore

1. Republic of Korea

1. Tunisia

This thread is about the policy last year of not charging any tourist visa fee for a period of time - that policy has ended and is not expected to be renewed. You asked how much a tourist visa cost without saying you were from a bilateral country so the answer was the normal amount. I don't see any indications that any visa agency is making those from an exempt country pay for tourist visas unless you have some information you have not posted.

thaivisaservice.com & jack golf seems to be charging regular cost to filipinos, malaysians and singaporeans (minus only the cost to cambodian visa) thus i thought there was a change of law. sorry for misunderstanding, i guess i will find out in two days time.

I never had to pay for the tourist visa, is there a flat fee for all foreigners now? including Singaporeans/ Filipinos/ Malaysians?

Are you talking about a "tourist visa" or "visa exemption"?

Tourist Visa - Obtained at a consulate or embassy. Gives you a 60 day stamp on entry.

Visa Exemption - Turn up in Thailand with appropriate passport and get 30 days (14 for some countries) stamp on entry.

A Visa gives you an entitlement to a period of stay in a country. An entry stamp marks your date of entry and provides a last exit date based off your entitlement.

Thanks. I guess the visa-run agencies are taking advantage by also collecting the fees from clients from these countries.

most unlikely, but there might be a missunderstanding from your side.

When doing a Run to the border you get charged for entry into Cambodia.

If you go to a Thai Embassy/Consulate you get charged based on the visa you apply.

I can confirm that Malaysians and Singaporeans are excempted for any Visa Fees, they get free Tourist(single only) and Non Immigrant(mostly single) when going to Thai Embassy/Consulate in Laos or Cambodia . Philipino can get free visa in Malaysia, but any other place they pay, it's easy to see as they print the amount you paid onto the Thai Visa Sticker.