Siam Paragon December 1st?

jambla

I saw the sign on the building saying opening December 1st. It has been removed for a month or so. I go past the building everyday while going to work, its the 29th of November. Will it be ready in two days?? Has anyone heard if it will be open on the 1st or not? Or should we except another MRT like delay?

Maybe there has been a news update that I havent seen.

Edited by jambla

I saw the sign on the building saying opening December 1st. It has been removed for a month or so. I go past the building everyday while going to work, its the 29th of November.  Will it be ready in two days??  Has anyone heard if it will be open on the 1st or not?  Or should we except another MRT like delay?

I am reliably informed that due to the planned presence of one of the Royal Princesses, there must and will be a "Soft Opening" on December 1st, so that the hi-so's involved will not lose face. They chose this date presumably as an auspicious occasion and thus regardless of the total mess and confusion both inside and outside, the opening will take place. This is becoming the norm in this country so expect more "Soft Openings" in the future. At least the fountains are working.

I expect the dignitaries will be presented with hard hats and plastic bootees to protect them from the concrete dust and rivets. Thus Bangkok will soon be blessed with another massive fantasyland where the rich and not so famous can spend their ill-gotten gains on designer fashions at prices that would keep an Isaan family for a year.

As for commercial sales over the holiday(read Christmas) period, I guess they can kiss the high season goodbye. The competition at the 5 star shopping mall level Siam Paragon, Emporium,Gaysorn,Erewan,World Trade etc,must be fierce, who will crash first?

I saw the sign on the building saying opening December 1st. It has been removed for a month or so. I go past the building everyday while going to work, its the 29th of November.  Will it be ready in two days??  Has anyone heard if it will be open on the 1st or not?  Or should we except another MRT like delay?

Geesh, they've been working on that place since I came here for the first time over 4 years ago. I remember seeing a big "Safety First" sign up there for a long time. Does "Safety First" translate into "Work As SLOWLY As Possible?"

Contrast the Paragon project with the new convention center next to Impact. Admittedly it's just a big empty box, but its still a REALLY FRIGG'N BIG empty box with a curved roof and everything. They put that place up in less than a year and are already hosting shows in it.

What's taking Paragon so long?

On the way home from work today I stopped to take a look at Paragon. Yeah, it’s been a LONG time to build this and I can’t see them finishing even on the new Dec 9th date.

Has anyone heard about the type of shopping it will be? Is this going to be another Gaysorn; 50 'hi-so' stores? Or will this be more of a Discovery/Siam Center? I’ve heard a number of 'rumors' that its suppose to have the largest cinema in Asia and some record for the aquarium. Has anyone heard any of this?

All you need to co-jai...From the Nation earlier in the year.....

All traffic will lead to Siam Paragon when it opens on November 1, :D with the centre’s world-class shopping and entertainment promising to make it the jewel in Bangkok’s retail crown.

Kriengsak Tantiphipop, the chief marketing officer of Siam Paragon Development Co Ltd, says he visits the ideally located 52-rai site almost every day to keep an eye on the progress of the giant complex, which will be able to accommodate more than 100,000 visitors a day.

Things are moving on schedule and we are quite happy with the progress,” he said.

Siam Paragon Development is a 50/50 joint venture between the Mall Group (operators of The Mall Department Store and The Emporium) and Siam Piwat Co Ltd (owners of the Siam Centre, Siam Discovery, Siam Tower, and Siam Car Park).

The partnership is investing Bt14 billion in Siam Paragon and is now racing against time so that the complex can open on November 1.

The official launch is scheduled for December 9. :o

The overall investment in Siam Paragon has increased by 120 per cent, from Bt6 billion to Bt14 billion. The interior and construction costs have been increasing all the time.

There are more than 100 architects and designers, both local and international, involved.

Materials for the interior decoration have been imported from around the world and – as a result of higher oil prices – the construction costs have also increased by 30 to 40 per cent.

The company is setting a marketing budget for use during the first year of operations that could reach as much as Bt1 billion. The marketing activities will not only cover Thailand, but also access other countries in the region in order to attract foreign visitors.

Kriengsak expects the traffic around Siam Square, the prime commercial property area of Bangkok, to grow sharply once Siam Paragon is open. The Skytrain’s Siam station currently handles some 60,000 passengers a day. This number is expected to soar to 150,000 passengers once the complex opens.

Siam Paragon is located on a 52-rai property, which is part of the Sa Pathum Palace, owned by HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn. This has added to the project’s distinction. The centre faces onto Rama I Road with Phya Thai Road to the west, Phetchaburi Road behind it and Rajprasong Road to the east. A road will be cleared so that the traffic can move from Siam Paragon to Phetchaburi Road.

The 550,000 square-metre shopping complex is developed around eight concepts to serve the family, the general consumer and the foreign tourist. There will be more than 300 outlets catering to all kinds of lifestyle and leisure pursuits, entertainment and technology, with restaurants, convention centres, jewellery stores and department stores among them.

The eight concepts are located in three main zones: the Paragon Department Store, which occupies 80,000 square metres; the shopping zone, which includes Dining Paradise, Fashion Venue, Art, Crafts, and IT World; and the entertainment zone. The entertainment zone comprises Siam Ocean World, The Paragon Cinepolis, The Siam Opera, and the Royal Paragon Hall.

Each participating shop and store has been meticulously selected. Siam Ocean World, for example, will be the largest aquarium in the southern hemisphere, with more than 400 species of aquatic life and 30,000 fish. The 1,800-seat Siam Opera will be created in a Broadway style, though it will not be completed until the middle of next year. “The Phantom of the Opera” is being pitched as the opening show at the Opera.

The Royal Paragon Hall will be a modern exhibition and convention centre.

Kriengsak said Siam Paragon’s location on Rama I Road and linked with Phloenchit Road and Sukhumvit Road will make it Bangkok’s shopping hub, “similar to Fifth Avenue in New York, Nathan Road in Hong Kong or Orchard Road in Singapore”.

At present, there are several shopping complexes around this area, such as the Mah Boonkrong Centre, the Siam Centre, Siam Discovery, Gaysorn Plaza, Central Chidlom, Robinson Rachaprarop and The Emporium Sukhumvit.

But as Siam Paragon’s high- to mid-range target clientele will be able to find everything within the store, this is likely to affect the other shopping complexes in the area. Mah Boonkrong may be the only place that is safe as it is recognised as a “bargaining market”, which attracts low purchasing-power consumers such as teenagers.

Kriengsak said all the other shopping complexes would have to adjust and find their own niche markets after the opening of Siam Paragon.

Many of these complexes have already been renovated, including Siam Centre, Central World (which is to include a hotel, office building, and expanded shopping area among its renovations), Gaysorn Plaza, and The Emporium.

Once Siam Paragon is up and running, Siam Paragon Development will continue with the rest of its project to build a 250-unit service apartment and a 300-room five-star hotel to be managed by the Kempinski international hotel chain.

Nida Asawanipont, Thanong Khanthong

The Nation :D

It seems that the new airport is actually OPEN.....its just not in use yet.

A couple of bags of cement borrowed from TIT lads at the Paragon site is all that is really needed ...to fill up the BIG non existing cracks in the runways.

Also now that Bird flu has been confirmed eradicated from LOS can we now look forward to a couple of new look ...clucky clucky-cheep cheep-chook.. K.F.C. franchises in Departures......luv that finger licking picking stuff.... :o:D