Brit Killed Taking Bottle Of Water From Fridge

mickscottatlanta

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear about this fatal accident. However, I find this hard to understand. How can a fridge, which is covered in a "plastic" casing become electrically live? unsure.png

?????????

Fridges have to be earthed. If you look there will be an earth wire at the back. However, in LOS they seem to think that earthing is optional. In fact, you'd be lucky to find any place with a 3 pin plug as a routine fitting. You'd be lucky to even find an earth point in a concrete or wood room/ house with plastic water piping. Which is why I've had to put in ground earths in the last two houses I've lived in here.

BTW, the outside of the fridge is metal, not plastic.

• Like 1

Six years ago, I went to a restaurant on the beach. Being a regular & they were rather busy, helping yourself was not a problem. Now this is an industrial fridge, all metal & glass. leaking water. I just touched the handle & had the biggest shock ever.Lucky I just didn't grab the handle to open it.

Most places are not earthed.

RIP young fellow.

Sorry to hear about this fatal accident. However, I find this hard to understand. How can a fridge, which is covered in a "plastic" casing become electrically live? unsure.png

I'm guessing he had no shoes on. That must be some electrical leak though. Probably came in through holding the door rather than bottle and hit ground through his flip flop less feet. Presumably many other people opening fridge but happen to wear shoes. Living here makes you paranoid, I even put on rubber flip flops to change a light bulb.

Yes, reading a rag like this (there are others, The Sun springs to mind) which is specializing in sensationalism can make people paranoid.

I can't help but think that Thailand is overwhelmed with the shear amount of deaths in all forms and involving all nationalities on a daily basis.

I'd like to see the real stats and factual basis that support this exaggerated and presumpuous comment.

The last UK Foreign Office figure I saw for deaths of UK nationals in Thailand was 269 in a single year. If anyone could be bothered going through the figures for the rest of the nationalities I think you will find it is not so preposterous.

The question then would be how many were natural deaths, accidental deaths, suspicious deaths, and deaths caused by stupidity and recklessness.

Here is the link for the latest UK national death figure in Thailand I can find

http://news.bbc.co.u...ews/7553643.stm

How about other nationalities contibuting the figures for their country then we will start to get a fuller picture.

Interesting stats on the amount brits that visited Thailand 0.86 Million

Ref the cause of death, I'd say that many of the deaths would fall into the below.

1. Road traffic accidents/motorcycle/car etc. Lets face it Thailand is a dangerous place for driving in certain places, drunkeness/drugs and sheer stupidity playing a big part in the number of deaths

2. Natural causes, Thailand has many older expats/long term stayers/tourists.

3. Expats/tourists murdered after getting into arguments/fights with Thai or other nationalities.

4. Suicide.

5. Assisted suicide/suspicious deaths, that meaning being thrown from a balcony or killed by someone paid to kill because the Thai GF/wife has had enough of the partner and just wants the house/money/ car etc.

6. Drugs, daft as it may seem with the penalties for taking/selling drugs in Thailand, many Brits still take them and sell them, take the full moon parties for instance and some have been known to overdose with fatal results

7. Genuine accidents, example someone slipping in shower and banging head.

8 Excessive alcohol.

The guy who died because of a fridge (RIP), someone who was electrocuted by a faulty electric shower, the list could go on, but IMO whilst Thailand is/can be a dangerous place to live/visit for various reasons, Thailand is IMO no more dangerous than some other countries and due to the large amount of Brits who live/reside in Thailand or are tourists, the figures IMO dont seem too excessive.

Stay safe everyone, you never know what's around the corner, but some deaths can be avoided.

Edited by MB1
  • Like 1

Completely unremarkable and unnewsworthy, same as if the victim had been some Somchai in Nakorn Nowhere.

The fact that it was a farang does not make it anymore newsworthy, as much as so many expats somehow think their lives matter more.

Indeed. Truth hurts quite often.

Again, only Europeans count or are considered.

Edited by zzaa09

If/when I do touch electrical appliances, the first touch will be with the back of my hand from now on.

My thoughts are with his family. jap.gifjap.gifjap.gif

Absolutely right , as your hand automatically goes into a grip if you are shocked. Its now become habit for me if I touch anything electrical

I lived in Thailand for 7 years and by the grace of God never got seriously injured or sick. When we built our house upcountry I made sure that the the electric service was grounded(earth) and bought all of the 3 wire grounded plugs and wiring myself. Luckily the guy we used was very knowledgable and when I insisted on a Ground (earth) rod, he Knew what I was talking about. When the man came from the PEA (Provincial Electric Authority) he was very impessed at the work. I was a homebuilder for many years in the US and know quite a bit about electrical construction. We installed a safe-T- Cut on the main service which is a ground fault interruptor which will prevent electric shock. Not sure about other parts of the world but the A/C current in Thailand in 220 volts which is deadly, Us is 110 V which is much more forgiving. In our townhouse in Hua Hin there was no ground , and I never used the elec. hot ater heater that was in the shower. To me electric and water do not mix. Many people are electrocuted every year in Thailand.

LL

Completely unremarkable and unnewsworthy, same as if the victim had been some Somchai in Nakorn Nowhere.

The fact that it was a farang does not make it anymore newsworthy, as much as so many expats somehow think their lives matter more.

Indeed. Truth hurts quite often.

Again, only Europeans count or are considered.

You two Einsteins did read the report was in a British newspaper, aimed at a largely British reading public!. There are reports of Brits being killed on holiday around the world everyday. Especially ones eaten by sharks or crocs etc. Its called the news, it sells papers.

I did not read anything criticising Thailand or its people in the brief report.

ph34r.png

• Like 1

And yet again we read of someone getting zapped by a seemingly innocent domestic appliance, seems an almost monthly occurrence :(

The simple inclusion of one RCD in the installation would likely have saved this man's life. But of course, these things cost the one thing that Thais like to hold on to, money.

RIP to the innocent victim.

Electrical safety in this country is something of a "black art". Odds on the building had no earth/ground connection.

Can't agree more with your comment, hard to find a decent electrician in the LOS just as well I do my own electrical work.

Electrocutions here are criminally frequent. I say criminally because anywhere else, building an electrical system which ignores these parts of the civil code would result in criminal liability upon such deaths, though here it is apparently simply regarded as 'bad luck'. I say it is cutting corners with paying for the grounding lines and poles, and the do-nothing 'law enforcement' officials. There was an elementary age student zapped to death just a year or two ago getting water for himself from a school water cooler! It happens all the time.

The names of resorts and businesses that skimp on safety measures to the point where guests are killed by simply opening a fridge door should really be in the public domain. Even if he was dripping with sweat, he should not have been electrocuted by touching the fridge.

Something seriously wrong there.

I think everyone should bring this simple tester when visiting Thailand, and check the fridge, shower etc..

post-49205-0-51333600-1326082900.jpg

smile.png

I know you like to crack a joke but that is good advice, a voltage tester screwdriver you can carry them as easy as a pen.

• Like 1

The names of resorts and businesses that skimp on safety measures to the point where guests are killed by simply opening a fridge door should really be in the public domain. Even if he was dripping with sweat, he should not have been electrocuted by touching the fridge.

Something seriously wrong there.

Yes your right, but I believe there are strict libel laws so naming and shaming is bizarrely not allowed.

Yes your right, but I believe there are strict libel laws so naming and shaming is bizarrely not allowed.

What, on this forum or in Thailand?

If someone was staying at the resort and reported truthfully that "whilst staying at sparkys bungalows, someone died after receiving an electric shock from an appliance" they could be sued for libel?

What, on this forum or in Thailand?

If someone was staying at the resort and reported truthfully that "whilst staying at sparkys bungalows, someone died after receiving an electric shock from an appliance" they could be sued for libel?

We do not allow "naming on shaming" on Thai Visa because Thailand has very strict libel laws. If a third party believes he has lost business/revenue/profits because of something posted on this website, irrespective of what that party may or may not have done, Thai law provides an avenue for that party to sue this website for losses.

6) Not to post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.Defamation is the issuance of a false statement about another person, which causes that person to suffer harm. Libel involves the making of defamatory statements in a printed or fixed medium, such as a magazine or newspaper.

Edited by metisdead
Clarification added to post.