Why I Make Copies Of All Important Receipts

This is a trick I actually carried with me from the days I was in the states and found out that many of the store printed receipts fade quickly if left in the sun, pocket, or over time. Make a photocopy (enlarged slightly if possible) of receipts of any important new electronic items or any item you want the warranty enforced. It is good idea to have the original box.

example 1) purchased AJ 11" portable dvd player from Tesco lotus. Took it back 3 times within the first 2 weeks, twice for dead pixel, and once for remote issue. Turned it that remote really ate some batteries. Then about 8 months later, the remote completely stopped working. We took everything back in original box. Tesco inspected the receipt copy (original is faded) and they did provide a new remote.

2) purchased Mitubishi fridge from Big C. About 2 months later, the freezer stopped working. Called Big C and the delivery person sent out a replacement. We only had to clean down the broken unit.

3) Purchased Samsung Me android phone from Dtac store in Ubon town. we had a problem with the screen display with some of the programs the next day or two. Went to MBK Samsung repair shop with paperwork and they replaced the phone a few hours later after doing some initial tests.

4) Purchased a movie ticket in Siam Paragon Major using BKB debit card, but the price was incorrect as a coupon was not applied properly before the cashier swiped card. The cashier voided the transaction and recharged the correct amount. Something told me to hold on to the voided slip and all related transaction slips. According to Bangkok Bank, transactions voided the same day are credited back to the account the same day, otherwise about 2-3 business days. After the 5th day, I got concerned as usually any refunds that I get are processed swiftly. I ended up having to fill out dispute form and email it in along with copy of voided slip. With the help of Dave, I got refund after 1 week. Only Budda knows why it took so long, especially as they saw the void in the system. But it wasn't voided "properly" as the first representative put itrolleyes.gif . Perfect example of being technically right, but was the 60 baht difference in final sales price worth the added headache?

5) Purchased a shower water heater from Makro. The heating stopped after 2 weeks. I took it back in original box with receipt. They said after 7 days, no money refund, only exchange for new or store credit. I bought a different model number unit slightly better specs that was the same price anyway.

Of course purchasing from a reputable dealer is also good idea. My gf didn't believe that it was even possible to return items once bought, especially after so long. The original receipt fades very quickly sometimes, especially if you leave it in your pocket or sunlight. Making an enlarged photocopy and staple the original helps in case the original fades. Stick them in a drawer where you keep important docs. You just never know (with the bank case, I had the feeling from the beginningjerk.gif ).

Edited by 4evermaat

Sounds to me like you need to get your home electrical system checked out.

Good idea, though on copying important receipts. The thermal paper does fade to nothing in a hurry, even if you don't leave it out of the sun.

Edited by impulse

Good idea, though on copying important receipts. The thermal paper does fade to nothing in a hurry, even if you don't leave it out of the sun.

Even better SCAN them :)

Even better SCAN them smile.png

Most multifunction printers have scan function.

They didnt all fail at once, and they failed for different reasons.