Minor Wives

James53

Is there anywhere I can read up on this subject. My ex wife's father had a minor wife and my present girl friend used to be a minor wife when I met her but terminated the arrangement with the other man. As a farang I know little about the arrangements.

Are there any moral obligations on the man or woman when the arrangement is finished. I assume there are no legal obligations. My g/f has a small condo bought by the man who now wants it back. I assume she can keep it as it is in her name.

I've moved this to the marriage & divorce forum. Ladies forum is for women living in Thailand not about women in Thailand & although mia noi is not a legal wife it will get sensible replies in here.

good move by Boo as what you want to discuss is a legal issue...

I'd say don't let your girlfriend drag you into this business regarding a previous relationship, condo ownership and etc...it ain't none of your business and any effort/involement on your part would probably come to grief....

if you know that's she's being straight with you then maybe offer to help with legal assistance but no more...and make sure that you handle the lawyer's invoices and not her...

if it is a scam then it is a novel one, I must say...

A mir noi is not a legal wife and he has no obligations to her. Even for a legal wife there are no other obligaiton than to split what is gained during the marriage (which includes any debts).

That is not to say that he could make a claim on things in the house, if he also lived there. Assest would then be mixed and you could start a dicussion about who owns the TV and who owns the fridge.

Unless proven otherwise, the house will probably be considered a gift. That it is in her name pleads for her.

Unless proven otherwise, the house will probably be considered a gift. That it is in her name pleads for her.

Or payment for services rendered.

PS

Such claims form a Thai girl to a foreign man are usually just an attempt to extract money from you.

Maybe her relationship with the other man is not really finished, and she is angling for a cash payment from you for him to go away, that they will later share. I'm betting she is building up to asking you for a 100k to 'buy him off'

Not your condo, not your business.

Three useful Thai phrases to use in this situation

Mai tura kong pom, not my business

Mai chi paw, mai chi mare, not my father or mother (strong version of not my business)

Tur hen chan ngo, nak ruu ngai, how stupid do you think I look

Edited by ludditeman

She has no legal standing but if the condo is in her name he cannot legally take it back. However, if it is in his name then of course, it belongs to him.

I would be wary of making waves if I were her, as I believe the legal wife may have a case against her should she so wish.

unrelated to the question at hand, but because a poster suggested these words:

Mai chi paw, mai chi mare, not my father or mother (strong version of not my business)

Tur hen chan ngo, nak ruu ngai, how stupid do you think I look

the first of the two is considered extremely rude, so I would recommend NOT saying that to your GF. OR to anyone. ever :)

the latter....well also wouldnt recommend that. it is unnecessarily provocation.