10 Idiots Go Nose To Tail

WinnieTheKhwai

I've seen that happen at least 4 times over the years on the Superhighway accross from Teso Kamthieng where people are trying to merge onto the main highway from the utility road alongside it. I'm always so worried when I try and merge and there is some truck traveling at a high-speed behind me.

Ironical thing is , they are probably blaming the guy at the front for braking too quickly! I believe under Thai law if you rear end someone it is your fault; but when you have a domino rear end case that could be fun for the insurance guys. ie I hit the back of someone because someone hit the back of me etc etc. In theory does the guy at the very back get the blame??

Hahaha. Som na na. Unfortunately these idiots will never learn. Never mind, just fork out for repairs and suffer the inconveniences each time.

In over 30 years of driving, I am yet to rear end somebody. Maybe it's because I keep mumbling "an apple a day keeps the doctor away".

I felt sorry for one driver once, on the same stretch of road. I was going the other way and saw about ten cars in same formation as in the photos, and then one car who had managed to not rear end at the back, clearly having kept their distance. However the careful driver was rear-ended and was the beginning of a roughly ten-car second line of rear-ended cars! At least he only had the back of his car to fix.

All those car drivers in that picture will continue to drive too close to the car in front, just as soon as they get their cars fixed.

"only a fool breaks the two second rule" [british tv campaign back in the early 80s]

Thanks for a good one, Whinnie ! Yeah, when I ride my moto I try to count the painted tire outlines n sometimes count up to five vehicles' worth at a time, which is pretty par for the course. This one is EXCEPTIONAL and makes my day !

Until their mindset and parlance has phrases like "Don't Tailgate !" and "Stop Driving Up My Azz !" as we do, there's not much of a conversation here for them. For us it's against the mindset of how to drive to bunch up so closely at high speeds. Maybe.... oh just maybe, someone has re-played the events and connected it with the signs above the Super about maintaining a buffer zone. But..... it's a maybe. Big fat maybe.

And Semper, this is all about Thailand. 100% could only happen in Thailand. Occasionally there's some fog + idiocy in European countries or the US and they do get those crazy 100+ pile-ups. Those are exceptions, though they too reek of idiocy and lack of caution - driving in near zero visibility. But this type of miscalculation and lack of precaution is a unique art form I credit the locals with.

In this English-language thread we heap abuse on the unfortunate. Surely it's our farang neurosis that makes us spit the word idiot on people we don't know, who are in a bad spot, under circumstances we can only guess at. The Thai language discussion on cm108 has a good discussion of the traffic problems on that stretch of road. But the best reaction of all can be seen in the photos of the drivers themselves, most of whom are smiling as they deal with the aftermath. I guess it's more fun and less embarrassing when lots of people bang up their cars at once.

And Semper, this is all about Thailand. 100% could only happen in Thailand. Occasionally there's some fog + idiocy in European countries or the US and they do get those crazy 100+ pile-ups

Thanks for confirming that these things happen outside of Thailand. I was referring to poster #3 with my reply. Obviously I should have quoted him.

Ironical thing is , they are probably blaming the guy at the front for braking too quickly! I believe under Thai law if you rear end someone it is your fault; but when you have a domino rear end case that could be fun for the insurance guys. ie I hit the back of someone because someone hit the back of me etc etc. In theory does the guy at the very back get the blame??

Chances are at least half of them have no insurance and the other half have no license, TIT.

I see a Honda City but no Yaris.

Those two types are the ones I mostly see involved in accidents in CM.

I guess it's because they are both cheep cars. The Yaris is often a first time car and can be "pimped" to look like a racer. The City (or Honda Shity) looks like the Civic but is cheaper than a Jazz and is truly a horrible car to drive. I guess the people that buy them are more vorried about appearance than road worthiness.

A few weeks ago I saw 5 or 6 buses go nose to tail in a village near Nahkon Ratchasima.

They shouldn't have really been doing more than about 40-50kmh on a narrow undivided 4 lane (2 each way) road in the middle of the village. The buses had smashed wind screens, so they must have been so close together that they didn't see the traffic lights up ahead.

Anyway, it gave me a good laugh.

Why I don't see a traffic light in front of the first car.What is the reason he stopped at that particular place?

<pure guess>

He was the lucky one, who wasn't too close and managed to stop in time when "shit happened". So the cars in front of him, have all left already - leaving only the ones involved in the accident at the scene.

• Like 1

Why I don't see a traffic light in front of the first car.What is the reason he stopped at that particular place?

<pure guess>

He was the lucky one, who wasn't too close and managed to stop in time when "shit happened". So the cars in front of him, have all left already - leaving only the ones involved in the accident at the scene.

Very astute, like the granny that runs people off the road in a ditch and keeps going not having a clue of the carnage left behind her when she wasn't watching her reviews.

I've tried to keep distance between me an the car in front of me, and there always seems to be an arse in the group that want to fill the hole with their vehicle even though there is absolutely nowhere to go. I try to watch a few hundred yards in front of me on the highways, but some Somchai always needs to "fill-the-hole" in front of me if I leave one. If you slow up, the idiot behind you goes ballistic on the horn. I've just taken to ignoring the horns and driving a safely as I can. Amazing LOS. thumbsup.gif

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

I've tried to keep distance between me an the car in front of me, and there always seems to be an arse in the group that want to fill the hole with their vehicle even though there is absolutely nowhere to go. I try to watch a few hundred yards in front of me on the highways, but some Somchai always needs to "fill-the-hole" in front of me if I leave one. If you slow up, the idiot behind you goes ballistic on the horn. I've just taken to ignoring the horns and driving a safely as I can. Amazing LOS. thumbsup.gif

Easiest solution to this is to drive on the left hand stroke since everybody else will be on the far right hand side stroke anyway.

The only problem you might experience are those using the exit as an entrance and those driving against traffic flow on the highways.