True Router Box Problems

samtam

For some time I have been having connection problems with my True router box, ("nlink"), with my service being disconnected frequently. True sent their technician yesterday and he suggested I should change to a modem that allows both TV and internet, (a cable connection rather than adsl). As my TV points are in the bedrooms, and my computer in my office is without a TV point, I think I established that it wouldn't work. But it did raise the issue I have long thought about and that is whether True provide a "booster" to enable internet in several locations in an apartment. Does anyone know?

Furthermore, is there any point in having an internet TV here in Thailand - are there any programmes, apart from the obvious torrent downloading?

Thanks for any advices.

True can hook up a wireless transmitter to the cable so if your computer has wireless ability it could be used in that mode. Any connection could be fed to a router and multi computers used in different locations and True has routers available for ADSL and you could attach your own to cable. But from what I have read the cable system may have as many issues as the ADSL.

Sounds like what you are referring to as your current router is just an ADSL modem with an ethernet port for hookup to your computer which many also refer to as a router since it does route the incoming ADSL signal to your computer. I also sounds like the router you have is non-Wifi capable. If I'm correct in my assumption, just switch to a modem/router which includes Wifi...or just buy a Wifi router to hook to your current True router (technically a router but is really just a modem with an ethernet output which can feed a computer or real router). That would provide you internet throughout your residence assuming each of your computers is Wifi capable also. But if the root problem with your disconnects is a funky ADSL/phone line feeding your residence then the Wifi setup won't fix that problem because your modem/router is receiving a funky internet connection from the get-go.

Where the technician suggested you might want to switch to a modem that allows TV and internet he was probably suggesting you might want to switch from ADSL internet which comes in via phone line to Cable TV/internet setup which comes in via RG-6/11/round TV cable. In such a setup, True runs "one" round TV cable to your residence which is carrying both TV and internet signals where it is then connected to a "splitter" which divides that one input to two outputs. One output of the splitter then feeds your TV cabling running around the residence to provide TV service and other splitter output goes to your cable modem/router to supply the internet signal...and that cable modem/router can be a non-Wifi or Wifi version....get a Wifi version although you may have to pay 1,000 baht more for the installation....well worth it. Or, if you decide to keep whatever current TV setup you have now and only want cable internet then they would run that one incoming cable to your cable modem...no splitter needed.

But keep in mind, the internet is the internet regardless of how it's provided to your home...via cable, ADSL line, fiber line, etc. If your current problem is related to a funky ADSL physical line feeding into your residence then switching to cable internet should fix your issue assuming the incoming cable line has no problems. Sounds like True may just be trying to say they know they have ADSL line problems (i.e., funky ADSL/phone lines) in your area and switching to a completely different type of incoming line (i.e., cable versus ADSL/phone line) should fix your problem. Or you could just press True to fix that funky True ADSL line running to your residence.

Thanks Pib. Not sure I completely understand what you're saying, but things appear to be working OK now through my ADSL modem (which does have wifi). The problem with wifi is that it seems to have a short distance to be effective in several rooms, and I was wondering if there was "booster" that could be installed in other rooms to remedy that. I've seen these in large houses in UK and Hong Kong, so that internet is available and the signal strong throughout.

If going the N wifi router method first be sure your current computers have N-wifi capable chips; if the computer is around 4 years old or older it could very well have only 54G-wifi capable chips which could not take advantage of the additional range usually (not always) provided with a N-wifi router.

additional range usually (not always) provided with a N-wifi router

Unless operating inside a Faraday cage (or other such blockage of any signal) believe the range will be better in virtually any case. It does make a real world difference. But agree needs to be compatible to take advantage of it. But USB adapters are so cheap these days suspect it would be cost effective to buy/use if old computer was not N capable.

Personally, I think N capability is way over hyped since most people will never be able to take advantage of the additional range unless they live in a 20 room mansion or an outside area they want to transmit to. I live in a two story house and use a Cisco 54G cable wifi router which True provided with their 20Mb/2Mb cable plan...the router is located upstairs in the master bed room but about 99% of my computer use is with my laptop on the dinning room table downstairs on the other end of the house....this puts a concrete floor and several concrete walls between my laptop and the router but I still get 5 bars/full strength reception on my laptop and get a full 20Mb data throughput. Now if I was on the 30Mb speed plan then I would probably be reaching the limit of data throughput capability on my 54G router as 54G router although having a sync speed of 54Mb will only provide about a 25-35Mb throughput. And when I was still on a TOT 6MB ADSL plan I used a Linksys WRT54G wifi router which gave me the same 5 bars/full strength reception throughout the house.

Even though N routers have over a 100Mb wifi "sync rate" (compared to a 54G maximum sync rate of 54Mb) that really don't provide much of an advantage to someone on a 20Mb or less ADSL/Cable/fiber internet plan as the routers basic sync & actual data throughput speed far exceeds the person's internet pipe...plus, a person wouldn't actually get a 100Mb "data throughput"...more along the lines of maybe in the 50Mb to 75Mb range best case if in the same room...as distance increased data throughput would start rolling off...I say this based on all the actual throughput test results/reviews on N routers. But with all that being said, N routers are backward compatible to 54G capability and N routers comprise the great majority of routers currently being manufactured. But if a person comes across a good deal on a new or older 54G router I expect it would provide all they "really" need.