High Ranking Customs Official Physically Abuses Airport Security: Thailand

webfact

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparenty the law is different as not only is the " VIP" not searched, but his assualt goes wholly unpunished and he is allowed to go on his way apparently with apologies trailing him.

Looks like this is in Japan , all the bowing. Thais don't bow, they wai.

oh well ,nothing new as we would see normally here with people in power or with money in front of "little" people . This area is the biz class check control for TG ,many time I saw "so called "VIPs" thinking how different they are from the rest of the common people.

When they will learn that law is the same for everybody .... but I guess they intend to forget easily .. Money talks again !!! how sad .... I wonder if me or another foreigner would have done the same what would have been the consequences . probably jail or big problem ...

If I were a senior customs guy, I'd expect to walk through, wouldn't you?

I blame the security for not recognizing his boss.

NO! As a former airport/airline employee I was offered a walk through. I declined and reported the employee who was later terminated.

Now going to the other extreme that is just sheer bloody mindedness. I have been in a similar position and all you had to do was talk with the person privately for a few moments saying that as airport staff you appreciate the work they do and none of you expect or want preferential treatment, it makes you feel uneasy, as security is everyone's responsibility. result a happier still polite security staff who has a little synergy with some other member of airport staff. Well done, a disciplinary sacking meaning the next job almost impossible to get. I imagine his family suffered for a long time, all because of you. Do you clock that up as one of life's major achievements?

Excellent comments. As City Councillor in charge of the Traffic Police I was stopped for exceeding the speed limit. When the Officer identified me he was most apologetic. I interupted and said if I was in the wrong i expected him to treat me no different to any other citizen and to issue me with a speeding ticket or summons. His reply was "Councillor you were speeding however in view of your past impeccible trafic record I will let you go with a warning" . He then said "I have stopped many of your fellow City Councillors and you are the first to advise me to do my job without favors". "Thanks Councillor have a good evening" .... I was impressed.

In what country are city councillors in charge of police departments. In Australia Politicians have no say in the operations of police even the appointment of Chief commissioners are selected by independent bodies assisting governments to prevent conficts of interest and corruption.

He should be this, he should be that, NO !!!!!! this is Thailand, it is a backward third world country, shit happens all the time here. That's why it is cheap to live , things like this will always happen. We can only give our opinions from a western liberal perspective, only Thais can change it

Edited by parmo1

Thais don't bow, they wai.

Either you haven't been here very long or you don't get out much. He has a search wand in his hand and it is not unusual to bow when one's hands are full in a situation as this. I've seen it often though only to the degree he does it to high rank. I've even been instructed to do just that when meeting certain high level individuals.

• Like 1

Charge him with assault.

On the other hand, I have a feeling a lot of PAX wish they could do the same, especially at some North American airports.

Please be more specific. Canada or the U.S.. I don't want to miss a chance to criticize countries unrelated to the post.

• Like 1

This should surprise no one. The only thing different in this incident is in the open and recorded. People should remember that cameras are everywhere, especially in the airport.

While, in many ways, we deplore the invasion of our privacy by ever-increasing camera surveillance throughout the civilized world, I do enjoy these nice little side benefits.

Recently watched footage of a woman abusing an animal by tossing it in a lidded trash can--all caught on surveillance camera. The woman was later charged with animal cruelty and convicted. Sweet. wai.gif

Edited by Fookhaht

Thought all the bowing and scraping by the assaultee was rather sad.

A finely honed skill instilled at birth to subordinate oneself to superiors.

WOW...another VIP!

Now that you've revealed that bit of self-aggrandizement, aren't you obligated to kill yourself? Or is that some other agency? huh.png

Hardly as many, many people possess security clearances of varying levels in the US when you are a government employee or contractor.

Try that in another airport in one of the more civilized countries, and he would have found himself in a world of hurt.

My thoughts also. Just imagine what Israeli security would have done to this boso.

This should not surprise anyone who has spent more than a half hour in Thailand. coffee1.gif

Sad, but true.

When are the little people going to learn where thier place is in society. I think the Hiso was saying, "Do you know who I am little man, do I look like a bloody farang to you?"

Just kidding

You got the first part right, about the "Thai little people", or better put common Thai folk, they are a very repressed society, crooked cops, right up to anyone who thinks they are better then, why even the BMW and Mercedes drivers on the road try to shove you off the road. I say it's time for these people, regular everyday citizens to speak out, like the TV commercial states, "Speak out, be heard, it does make a difference", but this will take time for the revolution here in Thailand to happen with force, but it is coming.

Edited by PingManDan

The airport security checks here are nothing compared to what the TSA in the US put you through. Ron Paul says if he is elected President, he's doing away with the TSA and making the airlines hire their own security. I like it. Not only does it save the taxpayers millions and millions of dollars, if you don't like the way security treats you at one airlines, switch to another.

Nice thought but if the airlines have to provide security do you think that will impact the price of the ticket?

I have been through TSA security in the U.S. and Thailand and I see only one difference. In the U.S. you don't have to stand in line and go through passport control when leaving the country.

If I were a senior customs guy, I'd expect to walk through, wouldn't you?

I blame the security for not recognizing his boss.

If I was a senior I would expect my subordinates to carry out thier job to the highest standard and that means no excemptions to anyone boarding a plane. I don't care if it was the queen of england boarding this flight she should be subject to the same checks.

It's called respect..and this a..e hole has none..Yes it's the HI-So mentality for sure but like in the past that would have been that...as now this video clip of the incident has gone world viral exposing this pigs lack of respect and behaviour!By the looks of his age he obviously has high rank seniority so can't see him being sacked..just the normal 'extended leave' crap and internal discipline..just the same as high ranking public servants the world over...there're be an enquirey leading to absolutely nothing!!

How do you he's a hi-so?

People with a bit of job rank are not authmatically hi-so.

Next you'll be saying he's part of the elite that want to control Thailand.

Hi -So 'mentality' is what I said..Didn't at any stage say he was Hi-So..That is just his attitude and take and unfortunately he's not the only one going around with this attitude here..The old guard..the old school..call it what you want..they're f...ing pigs!!

A simple cctv video does not show the full background story or what was said. While I can't defend the Customs official, I have seen these airport security themselves behave aggressive and threatening to other people just the same way - in my case to a taxi driver, who then sped off and almost hit me while carrying my baby daughter in front of the airport. These airport security are simply bad and stupid and I'm not surprised someone has finally stood up to them,.

You can see the younger man bow his head in respect before raising the wand to do a standard metal check, and gets attacked. He does't seem at fault or agressive. Thus uncivil servant needs to get serves a extra large dose of humility, asap. Edited by animatic

Wow...shocking video on many levels, particularly the total LACK of security. So it would appear in TL certain folks can simply bully their way through security at an international airport and nobody will stop them? This guy is just a <deleted> customs official. Woop dee doo! Curious if any other governments will have an issue with this 'security'.

He was hiding something in his pocket and his quick thinking and impulse reactions prevented a frisking from the customs officer wink.png

That far up the line he wouldn't have to hide it. This is a case of how dare you touch me, keep your place arrogance that is all too common in Asia. Wonder what inactive post they will put him into?

When are the little people going to learn where thier place is in society. I think the Hiso was saying, "Do you know who I am little man, do I look like a bloody farang to you?"

Just kidding

You got the first part right, about the "Thai little people", or better put common Thai folk, they are a very repressed society, crooked cops, right up to anyone who thinks they are better then, why even the BMW and Mercedes drivers on the road try to shove you off the road. I say it's time for these people, regular everyday citizens to speak out, like the TV commercial states, "Speak out, be heard, it does make a difference", but this will take time for the revolution here in Thailand to happen with force, but it is coming.

But even the "Thai little people" (as anywhere in the world) have authority dependant on what job they are doing, security being a good example.

It would be interesting to know what sort of brief the security staff have for such an incident, no matter who it is that causes the problem. I know that he would be getting his wrists chaffed by the plasti-cuffs as a minimum in any serious, well run security breach scenario like this in most other countries.

Charge him with assault.

On the other hand, I have a feeling a lot of PAX wish they could do the same, especially at some North American airports.

Spot on GK. I went back to the US two months ago. They found a zippo lighter in my checked luggage given to me by a comrad when I was in Afghanistan. I was treated like a criminal. I had to go through interrogation by some guy with an IQ equalling room temperature in C. Consequently I missed my connecting flight,

First, if there is something that alerts an agent intuitively ( call it profiling if you like) they will focus on an item to examine your reaction. It may not even be your reaction they are watching. Often, it will be a person in line behind you they are watching. Next, dogs sniff all bags and it is possible that your bag had traces of a substance that alerted the dog. This may have come by innocent contact with a vehicle floor where ammo had been transported or whatever. In any event, taking it personal is naive. The time to be concerned is when the agents are not being diligent.

Second, as for the abusive gent being high ranking, it would seem not. There is a rich kid of about 40 that calls a certain general whenever he is arriving from abroad with contraband and an official vehicle meets him at the gate and shuttles his bags out without passing customs. This qualifies as hiso.

Third, Mexico has long had a system where you push a button at customs and if it gives you a green light you are on your way, if it turns red, prepare to udergo the third degree. Critics has dennounced this method for not giving credence to known profiles, but what they don't know is that behind a two-way glass upstairs are agents that can override the light to force a red when they deem it appropriate. All in all, a pretty efficient system.

Sorry, but have to chime in again... What we all witness is 1: another person being assaulted while others look on. 2: An airport security official being assaulted by a passenger. 3: Airport security being circumvented. 4: Other passengers safety being jeapordized. 5: No 'police' presence monitoring activities at the critical points of the airport. Etc, etc...Give me a <deleted> break. Looks like loss of face for a lot of people. Is this guy connected to brother T?

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

A simple cctv video does not show the full background story or what was said. While I can't defend the Customs official, I have seen these airport security themselves behave aggressive and threatening to other people just the same way - in my case to a taxi driver, who then sped off and almost hit me while carrying my baby daughter in front of the airport. These airport security are simply bad and stupid and I'm not surprised someone has finally stood up to them,.

While the behaviour of the customs official is despicable (Customs and Revenue Department are so spoilt and morally corrupt there's little else one can expect of them), it is also true that certain security officials are equally arrogant and dismissive. Not sure if its improper training or just the lack of accountabiity that they feel free to take matters in their own hands without showing better judgement. I have witnessed verbal abuse on several occassions directed towards other passengers. One one occassion I saw this security check woman shouting at a passenger to 'hurry up' and rudely telling him to 'put your bag over here' etc. In my own case, once when the security officer was rude and asked me to 'put the bag up quickly' and started going thru the contents without any regard for the way they were arranged, I asked her to make sure she puts everything back the way she found it. On hearing this the supervisor jumped on me and started giving me a hard time. There was nothing objectionable in my hand luggage and the security staff had cleared it but this supervisor removed a small can of talcum powder (which was for my daughter) saying it was dangerous substance and I could use it to throw in the eyes of fellow passengers during the flight. I demanded knowing if the ailrline had talcum powder listed as banned (just like liquids) they simply told me its their job to decide whats best for security. I checked the name of the supervisor from his name tag pinned on his chest which further infuriated him and he stopped me after my bag was cleared and scribbled down my name and passport # in a threatening way saying if I complain about them he will initiate a complain against me too.

All this simply because I chose to challenge their methods and questioned them. Some of these security jerks perhaps get too stressed or feel they have the right to treat everyone as guilty until proven innocent ending up with very objectionable and unprofessional behaviour. Most of them are polite and calm but there are some seriouly bad apples in there. It takes two to tango...as they say...

Edited by harsh4

While the behaviour of the customs official is despicable (Customs and Revenue Department are so spoilt and morally corrupt there's little else one can expect of them), it is also true that certain security officials are equally arrogant and dismissive. Not sure if its improper training or just the lack of accountabiity that they feel free to take matters in their own hands without showing better judgement. I have witnessed verbal abuse on several occassions directed towards other passengers. One one occassion I saw this security check woman shouting at a passenger to 'hurry up' and rudely telling him to 'put your bag over here' etc. In my own case, once when the security officer was rude and asked me to 'put the bag up quickly' and started going thru the contents without any regard for the way they were arranged, I asked her to make sure she puts everything back the way she found it. On hearing this the supervisor jumped on me and started giving me a hard time. There was nothing objectionable in my hand luggage and the security staff had cleared it but this supervisor removed a small can of talcum powder (which was for my daughter) saying it was dangerous substance and I could use it to throw in the eyes of fellow passengers during the flight. I demanded knowing if the ailrline had talcum powder listed as banned (just like liquids) they simply told me its their job to decide whats best for security. I checked the name of the supervisor from his name tag pinned on his chest which further infuriated him and he stopped me after my bag was cleared and scribbled down my name and passport # in a threatening way saying if I complain about them he will initiate a complain against me too.

All this simply because I chose to challenge their methods and questioned them. Some of these security jerks perhaps get too stressed or feel they have the right to treat everyone as guilty until proven innocent ending up with very objectionable and unprofessional behaviour. Most of them are polite and calm but there are some seriouly bad apples in there. It takes two to tango...as they say...

I personally have never had any problems with airport security before. If you travel frequently, you know what to do and what to wear and what not to wear when you go through the metal detectors. You also should know what you can bring on your carry on. I am personally irritated by people who cause the detectors to go beep beep beep and wastes everyone's time having to either go through the detector again or having to be checked with the wand. Jesus christ, use your brains.

But I digress. You're right to say some of these people are unprofessional but let's look at THIS particular case alone. The security guy was fawning and smiling over the old bastard. And yet he got whacked anyway. That's in excusable.

We can only hope this ridiculous goon will serve jail time, for this assault. Rank means nothing. When one is talking about security, nobody should be above the law. Would love to see someone rough this punk up. He deserves that.

As you say, that when one is talking about Security, I am not so sure as you he was breaking any laws at all. You don't see him with a Carry-on Bag, or even a Lap Top, or stopping to pick up a Bag or Suitcase. Who travels anywhere without any luggage at all? So I highly doubt he was going on a trip and therefore he should not be subject to a flight clearance check. Do you Strip Search the Cleaning Lady every time she goes in to clean your toilet, or comes back from lunch?

He simply may have been going to his own office. If that is the case should he be subject to a search every time by a metal detector possibly exposing a Hand Gun, Knife, or Explosives, which are mostly plastic anyway, which are dangerous to have on a flight he is not taking? That is searching every time he leaves and returns to his office? I think not. I also think that a Senior Customs Official be giving a certain amount of trust, like a Judge or High Ranking Police Officer.

Notice he becomes upset at the younger Customs Official not because he is being scanned but mostly because he did not recognize his ID Badge on his left hand pocket, which as you can see all Cutoms Officers are wearing, including him. Can we not assume from this that if you cannot recognize your own Boss wearing his ID Badge in the place it is suppose to be, that you for sure will not recognize a Terrorist. This is because you are not paying attention to your job.

I do not approve of his discipline methods, especially the boxing of the ears, or the public tongue wipping. But then maybe the boxing of the ears is a Culture thing and an Asian Method to discipline a gone astray employee. Whereas in our Culture we may get 3 days off without pay. Who knows? But how many of us here can honestly say they have never had there Boss raise there voice at them when other co-workers were around? Few are far between I think.

It is obvious that the error was committed by the younger Customs Official for not paying attention to his job. In my industry, if you do that, you can die and also take a bunch more with you. It is also obvious that the Senior Customs Official was too harsh with his punishment. So I think fare punishment for the Senior Official should be a stern warning, and to apologize to the employee for his harsh behavior. Jail time for this is like cutting the hand off of a Boy for steeling an Apple from the Apple Tree. Far Too Harsh!

General Patton did quite the same thing and his punishment was to apologie to this sholder and the people who were also present when he slapped the kid with his gloves and kicked his Butt outside the Hospital Tent to send him back to the front line. I am not sure he was so wrong in doing that either. But if that is enough punishment for Patton it should be enough for everyone else to.