US Embassy Warns Of Possible Terrorist Attack In Bangkok

webfact

Many think the smile is sincere, but once someone has trouble deThai has no mercy

Yes, a Thai once told me that if a farang is down, the Thais will 'stick in the boot', so to speak, meaning they will kick you while you are down. I remember clearly when he told me this, long before I started to live here. I now know how true it is. You only have to see how the immigration officials enjoy their job when they have you for something, like no re-entry permit on a retirement visa - they just lurv to see you suffer. I've never trusted the Thai smile in most situations, although it is not always a fake thing and has its up side.

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is, once you start telling lies (Iraq's WMDs) no one will believe anything you say in the future. These are not little lies put out by a rogue agent, who had a grudge or an agenda, they came directly from the White House (and number 10), onto our TV screens and cost the lives of 2,000,000 people, most of which were Muslim. .....And the clock is still running.

So any version told in this thread, however unlikely, is just as likely to be true, guess away lads.

Sherlock Holmes was only make-believe, so we will never know..

Once again, you missed the point, being it was an email sent to US citizens registered with the US Embassy here in Thailand. Nothing else. I got it early this afternoon, did you?

Many think the smile is sincere, but once someone has trouble deThai has no mercy

Yes, a Thai once told me that if a farang is down, the Thais will 'stick in the boot', so to speak, meaning they will kick you while you are down. I remember clearly when he told me this, long before I started to live here. I now know how true it is. You only have to see how the immigration officials enjoy their job when they have you for something, like no re-entry permit on a retirement visa - they just lurv to see you suffer. I've never trusted the Thai smile in most situations, although it is not always a fake thing and has its up side.

It is sad you say that and makes me wonder if it is true. For my part, I used to like Americans until I met them. And after reading this forum for about a week, I find it very difficult to trust or like Americans anymore.
  • Like 1

It is sad you say that and makes me wonder if it is true. For my part, I used to like Americans until I met them. And after reading this forum for about a week, I find it very difficult to trust or like Americans anymore.

That saddens me as the most distinctive character trait of Homo americanus is wanting to be liked, above all else. On that note, I have made you my official ironic friend of the moment! (Until it self serves me better to bestow that horror on another.)

post-37101-0-71293200-1326471016_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing

The problem is, once you start telling lies (Iraq's WMDs) no one will believe anything you say in the future. These are not little lies put out by a rogue agent, who had a grudge or an agenda, they came directly from the White House (and number 10), onto our TV screens and cost the lives of 2,000,000 people, most of which were Muslim. .....And the clock is still running.

So any version told in this thread, however unlikely, is just as likely to be true, guess away lads.

you mean like blair & the uk i9 had the same info as did the russians,,,

you have some evidence that the coalition was doing suicide murdering of iraqi civilians or wait, that was muslims doing that,,,

good try,,, and OFF topic,,, so if you delete mine, delete his too,,, for the same reason

Edited by wxyz

Skytrain is an obvious target, more so than MRT. Not because the subway has its laughable half-a-glance-inside-one-pocket of your bag-checking system, but because a big fat explosion at Siam Square or anywhere else will shower down on to the roads below and affect the commercial district around it (imagine all that Paragon glass shattering...). More "bang for your baht", as a former poster on TV used to say.

Last week I had my bag checked going into MBK. I pointed out that if I'd entered through the coffee shop next door, or the bank, Macdonald's or half a dozen other shops that all have doors on the outside and exits into the mall, I could avoid the security check entirely. Only a fool would walk through the main door. So what, actually, is the point of the security check and the big metal-detector thing?

Response? Krap Pom! a nod and a nice smile. smile.png

The point? What is the point of all jobs, shops, supemarkets, stores in Thailand? It's to give the staff a nice way to dream their lives away - nothing to do at all with efficiency, purpose, customer satisfaction or in this case security. In many ways, even profit doesn't come into the equation. It's purely for the comfort of staff!!!

As an American who has worked/ lived overseas for some 30+ years (including 15 years in the Middle East) I must apologize for the government's behavior of trying to "police the world". The attack on Iraq (have friends that lived there) to liberate them did more harm for America's reputation than good. As you know after 9-11, the USA had the whole world's sympathy, including where I was working at the time, in Saudi Arabia. After bombing the #hit out of Baghdad because Saddam supposedly had weapons of mass destruction, totally was uncalled for. My American friends (who never travel abroad) believe the propaganda that is thrown at them...they quickly forgot the US troops were there for WMD's but believed we were there to fight "terrorists" and to give Iraq democracy. Well, there were NO terrorist in Iraq until the Western troops moved in. The American culture tends to use "patiotism" as a way to get support from its citizens. If you try to say the truth or disagree with the norm, you are labeled "anti-American or unpatriotic.Currently all the Republican candidates have to suppport the Iraq and Afgan wars and they are all hawks towards attacking Iran. Yes, the USA fortunately became involved in liberating countries from Japan and Germany back in WWII - but that was ages ago.The involvement in the Vietnam War.. Iraq war could have been avoided. Terrorism is a problem for the free world now days (due to narrow minded Islamic terrorists) and the free world needs to work together to fight against this danger of the 21st Century-- not depend on one or two countries to "take care of them."

'

You start off by saying a lot of truths about American misdoings. And end with saying 'Terrorism is a problem for the free world now days (due to narrow minded Islamic terrorists)'

The American actions created the terrorists. In my humble opinion as a Asian/Thai which most Asians would agree, if I hit somebody he/she will come back to hit me. Especially, if I bomb their homes and murder their family. I would be stupid to think I can do that and expect the victims to forget my crimes.

• Like 2

Orbitz has issued a travel alert to it's business customers alerting them to the potential bombing threat in Bangkok:

Summary

US intelligence reports indicate two known terrorists entered Thailand late Jan. 12 with plans to conduct an attack against foreign tourists in Bangkok. Security will be especially tight in popular tourist destinations. Hotels, cybercafes, and other venues will likely increase vigilance regarding incoming patrons, including not allowing guests to check in without photo identification.

Edited by Jimi007

Who would want to hits us over here in Bangkok? Doesn't add up. I wonder if the threats are indeed foreign or related to some recent foreign involvement/comments in the politics over here...

Remember Bali? The thing is besides a nightclub I can't think of anywhere that would not have the locals out-numbering tourists 10-1.

It could also be something other than the terrorists everyone on here seems to be thinking of too. Could be someone who did not get his way planning to disrupt things and cause some more problems. Look at the big picture and do not make assumptions as it could mean anyone or anything with this notice. They are not giving enough information to make it clear on who they are thinking will be targeting people so just stay aware of your surrondings and be ready if something does happen. It could come from anywhere at any time. That is how it works.

As an American who has worked/ lived overseas for some 30+ years (including 15 years in the Middle East) I must apologize for the government's behavior of trying to "police the world". The attack on Iraq (have friends that lived there) to liberate them did more harm for America's reputation than good. As you know after 9-11, the USA had the whole world's sympathy, including where I was working at the time, in Saudi Arabia. After bombing the #hit out of Baghdad because Saddam supposedly had weapons of mass destruction, totally was uncalled for. My American friends (who never travel abroad) believe the propaganda that is thrown at them...they quickly forgot the US troops were there for WMD's but believed we were there to fight "terrorists" and to give Iraq democracy. Well, there were NO terrorist in Iraq until the Western troops moved in. The American culture tends to use "patiotism" as a way to get support from its citizens. If you try to say the truth or disagree with the norm, you are labeled "anti-American or unpatriotic.Currently all the Republican candidates have to suppport the Iraq and Afgan wars and they are all hawks towards attacking Iran. Yes, the USA fortunately became involved in liberating countries from Japan and Germany back in WWII - but that was ages ago.The involvement in the Vietnam War.. Iraq war could have been avoided. Terrorism is a problem for the free world now days (due to narrow minded Islamic terrorists) and the free world needs to work together to fight against this danger of the 21st Century-- not depend on one or two countries to "take care of them."

'

You start off by saying a lot of truths about American misdoings. And end with saying 'Terrorism is a problem for the free world now days (due to narrow minded Islamic terrorists)'

The American actions created the terrorists. In my humble opinion as a Asian/Thai which most Asians would agree, if I hit somebody he/she will come back to hit me. Especially, if I bomb their homes and murder their family. I would be stupid to think I can do that and expect the victims to forget my crimes.

i guess that explains the thai southern provinces terrorism against thai's then

'

Yes sadly so. Our police and army do not always act in the best interest of the country. But we are still Thais together.

why only American warning , any other embassies sent their warning ? soundds strange !

If no other embassies issue warnings in the next 24-48 hours, then I would agree.

Today is Friday 13th, perhaps terrorists want to make a day we won't forget. We ought to take these warnings seriously.

Bangkok isn't the only place with high profile western tourist soft targets in Thailand. I am skeptical that they only mentioned Bangkok.

Maybe the info that prompted the warning was specific.

The Australian Embassy also has a notice posted reflecting the US information under their Safety and Security section.

This Advice was last issued on Friday, 13 January 2012. This advice has been reviewed and reissued. It contains new information in the Summary and under Safety and Security: Terrorism (US warning of possible terrorist attacks in tourist areas in Bangkok). The overall level of the advice has not changed.

On 13 January 2012, the US Government warned its citizens in Thailand that foreign terrorists may be currently looking to conduct attacks against tourist areas in Bangkok in the near future.

There is a threat of terrorist attack in Thailand. We continue to receive reports that terrorists may be planning attacks against a range of targets, including locations frequented by tourists and foreigners.

Thai authorities have on a number of occasions warned of the possibility of bombings in Thailand to coincide with symbolic dates or holidays, including in Bangkok and the southern provinces.

In planning your activities, consider the kinds of places known to be terrorist targets and the level of security provided. These include places frequented by foreigners such as embassies, shopping malls, markets, banks, clubs, hotels, restaurants, bars, nightclubs, schools, places of worship, outdoor recreation events, beach resorts and tourist areas. Public buildings, public transport, airports and sea ports are also potential targets for attack.

'

Toenail...very well said. It's great to hear a balanced American view. Fundamentalism of any kind is always narrow minded.

Defense Minister Yuthasak Sasiprapa told reporters that initial intelligence suggested that an attack could occur between Friday and Sunday. He said Thai authorities kept the alleged plot under wraps in order to avoid damaging the country's multimillion-dollar tourist industry, but said intelligence reports suggested the plans to attack might have been related to the worsening relations between the U.S. and Iran.

Neither Mr. Chalerm nor Mr. Yuthasak provided any further information on how far the alleged plot had progressed or possible targets.

Mr. Chalerm said Thai police had followed two Lebanese men. One of them was detained for questioning, while the other appeared to have left the country after the U.S. issued its warning, but Mr. Chalerm told the AP that that situation is under control.

So Thailand were more concerned about the money that tourists bring in than public safety. They were prepared to risk as many lives as need be to keep the baht.

'

QUOTE: "Currently all the Republican candidates have to suppport the Iraq and Afgan wars and they are all hawks towards attacking Iran."

Ron Paul - as far as I know - Reblican candidate - Texas - is the only Rebublican congressman calling for a total withdrawal of all US troops from Iraq and Afghanistan and who is in favor of a pull-back of all military from the majority of US bases they currently occupy around the world.

Audit the Federal reserve and Ron Paul for President.

• Like 1

'

Toenail...very well said. It's great to hear a balanced American view. Fundamentalism of any kind is always narrow minded.

sadly so. The problem got much worse when Thaksin was in power. He invited many US advisers and like the Philippines now we have a bigger problem. Many Asians consider American thought to be 'fundamentalism'. I have an old Indian friend, 85 years old, and he says when America enters a country it usually destroys it before leaving. It started with America itself. They destroyed the red man, and more recently, somalia, vietnam, cambodia, afghanistan, lebannon, laois, iran, south america and the list goes on. That is why in Thailand we have limited visas for you
  • Like 1

Once again, you missed the point, being it was an email sent to US citizens registered with the US Embassy here in Thailand. Nothing else. I got it early this afternoon, did you?

So what was the source of this email? and I don't mean Mr.Smith, the guy who sent it.

Maybe you are missing my point, which is that you have no idea where the information originated from, whether it is true, or some political <deleted>. You just got an email.

So unless you got it from the bomber himself and can prove unequivocally that he is who he says he is, it's probably not true.

This not Hollywood mate, where the plot reveals itself over 120 minutes, the bad guy gets killed, the hero gets the tart and we all go off for a curry and a beer.

No wonder you guys elected Ronald Regan, you really believe this stuff.

I am not being Anti-American, we buy MacDonalds, Coke and all this other crap in the UK too, the whole world is gullible, that's why it works so well.

• Like 1

So what was the source of this email? and I don't mean Mr.Smith, the guy who sent it.

Maybe you are missing my point, which is that you have no idea where the information originated from, whether it is true, or some political <deleted>. You just got an email.

So unless you got it from the bomber himself and can prove unequivocally that he is who he says he is, it's probably not true.

This not Hollywood mate, where the plot reveals itself over 120 minutes, the bad guy gets killed, the hero gets the tart and we all go off for a curry and a beer.

I am not being Anti-American, we buy MacDonalds, Coke and all this other crap in the UK too, the whole world is gullible, that's why it works so well.

is that the beer talking

is that the beer talking

No, but I have just realised who sent that email...Ronald McDonald. Jealous of the success of KFC here in Thailand.

• Like 1

For those looking for more specifics: ask the terrorists. Its unlikely the US officials have any more specifics - if they knew who, when, and where - well, they'd probably be able to nab the terrorists, now wouldn't they? And the US is not shy about snatching suspected terrorists off the streets.

As to whether or not the threat is even crebible: I find it highly unlikely the US embassy would have issued this warning if they did not have credible reason to believe it to be true. Considering the fairly amenable relationship between the US and Thai governments, the already dismal situation in Thailand (and Bangkok in specific) due to the recent floods, and Thailand's reliance on tourism as a major component of their GDP, I find it hard to believe the US would issue a warning which could negatively impact tourism (with or without an actual terrorist event) unless the threat were real, and substantial.

That said - let's all hope the threat, whether legitimate or not, does NOT come to fruition. Its the last thing Thailand needs right now.

Totally agree!!!

The big state terrorists are obsessed with terrorism. It's their war, why do they have to impinge on other countries so much? They go to other countries, bomb the shit out of them, and then tell their citizens terrorists are out to get them. What a joke.

Regular warnings keeps the fear level going. That's all it is. If terrorists are out to get american citizens, easier to con the american citizens that their government need to fight all these 'wars'. And if the american government don't want citizen terrorists to attack american citizens, then they should stop attacking other countries. Then there'd be no reason to attack americans. Easy enough no?

Blowback anyone?

• Like 1

Who would want to hits us over here in Bangkok?

You're joking, right?

Soft Targets. Bali. Mumbai. Google is your friend ...

If the target was that soft (and valuable) surely we would've been hit multiple times here already -- is my thinking. Why now?

Their terror network is not that extensive these days and is under increased scrutiny. They are at war with the West in the MIddle East. They have been focused on killing Americans in Iraq instead of going abroad and bombing stuff as had previously been the norm.

Hopefully this is a lame duck.