US Embassy Warns Of Possible Terrorist Attack In Bangkok

webfact

• Replies 984
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For years, I've half-jokingly mentioned to friends - how low security Thailand is. In some ways, it's good, as it's nice to just travel around in a semi-daze and enjoy things. However, if an open-backed pick-up truck with a giant paper-mache (real-looking) black bomb were to ride down main streets in Phuket, Pattaya, Bangkok or any other city, no Thais would bat an eye. It gives new meaning to the term 'soft target'. Yet who, in their right mind, would want to bomb Bangkok (?), except perhaps Red Shirt hot heads, .....but no one ever accused them of being level headed.

There have been close calls in the past.

In 2003, when Hambali was arrested, they found a target list. Nana Plaza, Israel Embassy, Israeli restaurant on Kow San Rd. as I recall.

In the early 90s a truck-bomb headed for the Israel Embassy was accidently stopped when the truck crashed in traffic. Driver fled.

Any further reflections?

One asked to report for questioning, denied being a member of hezbolla, (maybe he wasnt carrying his membership card) apparently not held according to one report, and one other fled the country. No mention or press photos of their house/accommodation being searched.

If there is any basis to the warnings from the Israelis and Americans probably half a dozen more out there.

A post has been removed due to possible violation of copyright and non compliance of fair use. It is generally accepted, but not written into law, that quoting the first two or three sentences of an article and giving a link to the source is considered “fair use” and not a violation of copyright.

For years, I've half-jokingly mentioned to friends - how low security Thailand is. In some ways, it's good, as it's nice to just travel around in a semi-daze and enjoy things. However, if an open-backed pick-up truck with a giant paper-mache (real-looking) black bomb were to ride down main streets in Phuket, Pattaya, Bangkok or any other city, no Thais would bat an eye. It gives new meaning to the term 'soft target'. Yet who, in their right mind, would want to bomb Bangkok (?), except perhaps Red Shirt hot heads, .....but no one ever accused them of being level headed.

And who in their right mind would want to bomb Bali?

I find it very interesting to read so many anti-American comments on this thread but the posters will not state their own nationality.

Why is that?

OK, I'm a Dutch citizen and I'm sick of the US N**zi government. There it is ...

You mean the country that liberated (along with the Brits) your country from ACTUAL Nazis?

Strange how some forget eh.

He probably just didn't know. The schools and Universities today, are in most cases, staffed by professors with their own political ax to grind. The fact that the United States liberated Europe doesn't exactly fix squarely with their agenda so they don't teach it. He hates America out of his own ignorance.

Any further reflections?

One asked to report for questioning, denied being a member of hezbolla, (maybe he wasnt carrying his membership card) apparently not held according to one report, and one other fled the country. No mention or press photos of their house/accommodation being searched.

If there is any basis to the warnings from the Israelis and Americans probably half a dozen more out there.

Oh he denied it. Well then, that's settled. Let him go,

In Bangkok...? Holy crap...! Glad I live in Chiang Rai...In a village of 53 people...I was getting worried for a moment...

I'd be cra**ing myself if I were you! In a village of only 53 people, you're probably the only falang. You may as well walk around with a big round target painted on your body!

So true!

They do forget, and are programmed to have exactly no respect or honor. They won't remember WW2 or the Cold War.

They don't respect their own elders and have never suffered.

Our embassy cares. We care. We are actually pretty cool people, period. Try getting to know us a little better, try living in our country, try to understand who we are. Why we would have an embassy that issues alerts to make sure people are safe. It's basic, simple, and human.

We are you. Your own ancestors, from every country, without exception, all migrated to the US and made a life. Pro-Freedom, anti-terrorist.

You don't speak for us. We speak for us. Do you ever hear us insult you in this forum? Ever? This was a post about a terrorist alert. Heed it.

Thanks to Thaivisa for deleting the deeply racist posts and banning those who went too far.

Semper Fi well said

Thanks! It's important the haters see there's a new generation of us here. We won't lay down our faith or our loyalty in our country. Period.

From an outside view, it looks like BKK was gonna keep this on the quiet, so thanks to the ambassador for forcing their hand and calling it. Bravo!

I wouldn't trust reports the .th .gov knew about it in advance and were proactive (in detaining or arresting). That's just now how things run here. At all.

This is a topic about the terrorist attack warning.

Do we really need to have 100 posts about World War II. That was 70 years ago. What is the relevance to this thread?

It is because if America would have reacted sooner at least 10 million Asias lives and 20 million Europeans lives would have been saved.

That is the reason. You must be German now I understand

No, I'm not German. But I fail to see how what happened 70 years ago has to do with any contemporary government.

Nor do I get offended by what others say about the government of my home country, and I don't judge people based upon what their government does now, let alone 70 years ago. In fact, I really don't care what the nationality is of people I meet.

All the people in WWII are long dead... This is a Thailand News forum, WWII posts belong in a Historical Bickering forum.

So what is the point of warning Americans? They aren't allowed guns here, so if they do see a bunch shady looking dark skinned guys in the back of a pick-up truck, they can't exactly shoot them up.

Best thing to do is to send for George Dubbleya, he can "smoke em out".

But seriously, the only reason for these warnings is to make the Yanks feel unsafe, as the only people who can act are the intelligence services.

There are 6000 US sailors in Pattaya. They'll flush the terrorists out of their holes if they can organize their work permits in time.

This is just the sort of action that makes so many people hate Americans. Thais do not wish to get involved in your ugly wars and please do not ask us to get involved.

After your Navy's recent performance in trying to rescue Somali pirate hostages. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for an invite lol

If an arrest was made yesterday, but the septics still felt a need to issue this warning it would seem that there are still plotting terrorists at large.

Yeah well, too bad there were no "septic" spooks around in Bali in 2002. If there were, there would be a lot less heartbroken Aussie parents.

So what is the point of warning Americans? They aren't allowed guns here, so if they do see a bunch shady looking dark skinned guys in the back of a pick-up truck, they can't exactly shoot them up.

Best thing to do is to send for George Dubbleya, he can "smoke em out".

But seriously, the only reason for these warnings is to make the Yanks feel unsafe, as the only people who can act are the intelligence services.

There was chatter before the Pan Am 103 bombing but they didn't publish warnings.

After that, the US has had a hair trigger on the travel warnings.

Yet who, in their right mind, would want to bomb Bangkok (?),

It would a great coup for some Muslim fundamentalist outfit to kill a bunch of Westerners. Send a message about the deaths in wherever caused by Western forces.

Thailand is a soft touch, I'm surprised it hasnt been targetted before. There is no security to speak of and the police force is a masterclass in incompetence.

Mix in thousands of Western tourists, the ease with which a group bent on such an attack could hide and be hidden before and after the attack by Thais paid handsomely for their trouble and who care little for foreigners, the lack of security awareness regarding packages lying around, the laughable token security at the skytrain entrances, at entrances to clubs, shops and malls etc. and i think it would be a walk in the park for any group who wanted to do it.

They're not even bothered about getting caught.... suicide bombers, they're queuing up for the job...go to heaven, 200 virgins and all that.

There have been close calls in the past.

In 2003, when Hambali was arrested, they found a target list. Nana Plaza, Israel Embassy, Israeli restaurant on Kow San Rd. as I recall.

In the early 90s a truck-bomb headed for the Israel Embassy was accidently stopped when the truck crashed in traffic. Driver fled.

I agree. JP has an article up that states:

"Israel is concerned Hezbollah will try to attack Israelis overseas in the coming weeks and ahead of the fourth anniversary of the assassination of Hezbollah military commander Imad Mughniyeh, attributed to the Mossad"

The link is here: Jerusalem Post article

For those interested in why Lebanese H. operatives might strike here, here's more (from wikipedia) on said Lebanese Hezbollah cmdr Imad Mughniyeh

Edited by saanya

THREAT LEVEL ORANGE!!!

Honestly even if there is something to this warning, it's ridiculous. It's still 1000 times more likely to get hit by a stray motocy than by a terrorist bomb.

Also - how does one "take precautions"? Do they imagine everyone staying inside? IMO this is pure "security theater". A spectacle designed towards certain ends which does not actually provide any extra security. Unless they're really dumb, the real reason to issue such a warning is 100% political.

It sends a message that:

- Your government is doing its job

- You need your government to protect you from the baddies

- Everyone join in on the so called "war on terror" - even if it's a never ending "war" which can never be won.

One thing it doesn't actually do: Protect you or anyone else from anything.

So thanks for nothing, US Embassy. This is propaganda.

• Like 1

He probably just didn't know. The schools and Universities today, are in most cases, staffed by professors with their own political ax to grind. The fact that the United States liberated Europe doesn't exactly fix squarely with their agenda so they don't teach it. He hates America out of his own ignorance.

If you read a proper history book, rather than the Hollywood one you got that from, you will find the war was won by the combined ally services, not Ben Afleck alone.

It will also tell you that the Americans wouldn't fight for 3 years, until the Japan talked you into it and as someone else said that was 70 years ago. Perhaps we should bring up the Romans who invaded my country 2000 years ago, I guess it was the US that liberated us then, probably Charlton Heston though.

Get real, this is 2012.

• Like 2

THREAT LEVEL ORANGE!!!

Honestly even if there is something to this warning, it's ridiculous. It's still 1000 times more likely to get hit by a stray motocy than by a terrorist bomb.

Also - how does one "take precautions"? Do they imagine everyone staying inside? IMO this is pure "security theater". A spectacle designed towards certain ends which does not actually provide any extra security. Unless they're really dumb, the real reason to issue such a warning is 100% political.

It sends a message that:

- Your government is doing its job

- You need your government to protect you from the baddies

- Everyone join in on the so called "war on terror" - even if it's a never ending "war" which can never be won.

One thing it doesn't actually do: Protect you or anyone else from anything.

So thanks for nothing, US Embassy. This is propaganda.

So just assume that the embassy of any country--not just the US-- had information about the Bali bombers on the eve of that attack. I guess they should have just sat on it and let their nationals go to the discos so as not to look as if they were spreading propaganda ?

Today is Friday 13th, perhaps terrorists want to make a day we won't forget. We ought to take these warnings seriously.

Bangkok isn't the only place with high profile western tourist soft targets in Thailand. I am skeptical that they only mentioned Bangkok.

Reminds me of a recent Michael Moore movie...Orange alert, Yellow alert, RED ALERT RED ALERT!!! Be afraid, be very afraid...

If you read a proper history book, rather than the Hollywood one you got that from, you will find the war was won by the combined ally services, not Ben Afleck alone.

It will also tell you that the Americans wouldn't fight for 3 years, until the Japan talked you into it and as someone else said that was 70 years ago. Perhaps we should bring up the Romans who invaded my country 2000 years ago, I guess it was the US that liberated us then, probably Charlton Heston though.

Get real, this is 2012.

Seriously. I tried to respond to him (I'm a fellow American) with this, but it would not post for some reason:

You may want to give credit for that liberation also to the thousands of Brits,Russians, Canadiens, Aussies, Yugoslavians, and countless underground insurgents from nearly every occcupied country who fought and died in greater numbers than our American grandparents and parents did. I start off attacking the Dutch guy for bashing America but then I end up embarrased by posts like this that say the "US liberated Europe" as if we did it alone. Really, it's embarrassing.

• Like 1