Hezbollah 'Calls Off Attacks'

Lite Beer

BTW, as a follow-up...and particularly to any of the Swedish members here...

I haven't heard/seen any follow-up from the Swedish government about their knowledge of the guy in custody with the Swedish passport...

Presumably, they were going to be checking to determine whether he was traveling with a forged/fake Swedish passport, or whether he's really a Swedish citizen of some variety...

Anyone heard/seen anything of an update on that aspect of the case?

It's a weekend - expect something during work--hours.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right, people who plot bombing attacks aimed at killing innocent civilians are terrorists.

The question is: have the accused actually done that?

In the past several days, there have been several Thai government statements to the local media saying the guy in custody has confessed to plotting an attack in BKK. What more do you want???

Several statements? Or just the one by the police chief?

"The suspect told us that the movement cancelled the plan after the authorities learned about it," he said, declining to provide any more details of the alleged confession.

Who knows what he have really said or confessed. One thing is clear, the police chief wanted to spread the message 'terror plan cancelled'.

• Like 1

Iran funds Hezbollah. Iran is in revenge mode. Get the picture? I think you do but for some reason won't acknowledge it.

What exactly is "revenge mode?" How do sovereign nations switch from "normal mode" to this "revenge mode?" Do they use a switch or a button? Are there additional modes as well?

"Revenge mode" sounds like empty rhetoric used by spin machines to stir people up, get them ready for war (aka "fightin' mode").

• Like 1

Iran funds Hezbollah. Iran is in revenge mode. Get the picture? I think you do but for some reason won't acknowledge it.

What exactly is "revenge mode?" How do sovereign nations switch from "normal mode" to this "revenge mode?" Do they use a switch or a button? Are there additional modes as well?

"Revenge mode" sounds like empty rhetoric used by spin machines to stir people up, get them ready for war (aka "fightin' mode").

It's a manner of speaking. I get the feeling from direct, clear statements coming out of Iran that they fully intend to take revenge. I call that revenge mode. You can call it potato salad for all I care. Same difference. It's just semantics games with you anyway. Look, it's OK to favor Iran over America and Israel. Plenty of people do. That's what makes ... wars. Yes there is still hope this won't escalate but I wouldn't bet too much on it. Edited by Jingthing

It's a manner of speaking. I get the feeling from direct, clear statements coming out of Iran that they fully intend to take revenge. I call that revenge mode. You can call it potato salad for all I care. Same difference. It's just semantics games with you anyway. Look, it's OK to favor Iran over America and Israel. Plenty of people do. That's what makes ... wars. Yes there is still hope this won't escalate but I wouldn't bet too much on it.

Do you seriously believe that the US wants to be involved in another war in the Middle East, given its commitments in Iraq and Afghanistan?

The UK and the other members of NATO are not in a position to offer more assistance so that would leave only Israel to support them. Together they could bomb Iran back to the Stone Age but would that make the other nations in the region more accepting of Israel as a legitimate state?

The Middle East needs a settlement that requires less hostility and more compromise than is evident from both sides

• Like 1

Do you seriously believe that the US wants to be involved in another war in the Middle East, given its commitments in Iraq and Afghanistan?

No of course not. As I have stated numerous times, the current US administration most definitely does not want another war in the middle east. I'm not sure about the opposition party, they are sounding more hawkish. Anyway, it is not a matter of wanting war or not. Rather whether these recent severe tensions develop into something full blown or not.

The suspect has not been charged, as the plot was not carried out,

Conspiracy to commit mass murder not an indictable offence in Thailand?

exactly my thoughts. thai police morons. what ya wanna bet he paid his way out.

Who knows. He should still be charged. 3 guys were sentenced to I think 14 yrs in Melbourne late last year for a terror plot to attack a military base in Sydney. They never even got close to carrying out thier attack but were still sentenced for plotting the attack. Maybe western nations take terrorism more seriously that Thailand.

Its hard to know but now I am starting to think maybe the terrorist was too hot for them to hold. They obviously don't want to get involved taking clear sides now in a bigger global developing war and arresting him in Thailand would mean they would have to try him and jail him here and that would say something. Also potentially irritating their internal complications with Islamic southern separatists. What's in it for them? Simpler to deport.

Edited by Jingthing

No of course not. As I have stated numerous times, the current US administration most definitely does not want another war in the middle east. I'm not sure about the opposition party, they are sounding more hawkish. Anyway, it is not a matter of wanting war or not. Rather whether these recent severe tensions develop into something full blown or not.

With respect you are rather begging the question; whichever administration takes power in November there is the problem that the US military is overstretched and have few outside resources to call upon with Nato's somewhat reluctant involvement in Afghanistan. My opinion is that the Iranians are well aware of this and are confident that they will not have a serious challenge to their nuclear programme apart from an Israeli attack which they know will be condemned by countries not linked so closely to them as is the US

It's a manner of speaking. I get the feeling from direct, clear statements coming out of Iran that they fully intend to take revenge. I call that revenge mode. You can call it potato salad for all I care. Same difference. It's just semantics games with you anyway. Look, it's OK to favor Iran over America and Israel. Plenty of people do. That's what makes ... wars. Yes there is still hope this won't escalate but I wouldn't bet too much on it.

Hezbollah is based in Lebanon. Where does the Iran thing come in.

Its hard to know but now I am starting to think maybe the terrorist was too hot for them to hold. They obviously don't want to get involved taking clear sides now in a bigger global developing war and arresting him in Thailand would mean they would have to try him and jail him here and that would say something. Also potentially irritating their internal complications with Islamic southern separatists. What's in it for them? Simpler to deport.

JT correct me if I am wrong but you seem to be suggesting that there is a prospect of a "bigger global developing war" . Do you seriously believe that is the case - that the Islamic Jihadists really consider that there is a possibility of taking over the world and establishing a global sultanate?

Hezbollah is based in Lebanon. Where does the Iran thing come in.

Iran is the major funder, weapons supplier, trainer and whatnot of Hezbolla.

Core leaders were trained there, and basically all major moves are done in coordintaion.

This goes for political, military, ideological and religious decisions as well.

That said, there were instances in which the Hezbollah, or at least a faction within, showed a certain level of independece. These were pretty short lived.

• Like 1

Hezbollah has everything to lose and nothing to gain by carrying out a terrorist act here in Thailand,, neither do have the resources or in my opinion the will to carry out such an alleged attack.

They have carried out attack in other places around the globe, so not a matter of capability or lack of resources.

Attacks aren't always directed at the country, but at targets within that country. That doesn't usually help bystanders much.

Your comments may prove too succinct and rational for some.

This prompted me to read up on this organization - rather easy to do here:

http://en.wikipedia....and_kidnappings

I read this whole long page about Hezbollah. Apart from the fact that Hezbollah has - for example - denounced the 9/11 attacks, and also the JI bombings in Bali, and has never admitted to being behind those three (I think) incidents in recent times that Israel has accused them of. Apart from all that, it's clear that a major bomb attack in Bangkok would be something completely new and unheard-of for this organization. Even enemies of Hezbollah would have to come to that conclusion.

Hezbollah are no choir boys and who knows what sort of things they have done or not done in the middle east. War brings with it horrific crimes committed by the involved parties - that's almost a given. But they have no history of attacks outside the region. Not saying they're freedom fighters or anything like that but Terror attacks in Thailand of all places - unlikely. They're also sponsored by Iran and Thailand has good relations there and with everyone - pretty much the only truthful statement from the foreign minister...

Oh yeah, let's reset the THREAT LEVEL to YELLOW, shall we. REMAIN VIGILANT. REMAIN FEARFUL :P

Edited by nikster
  • Like 1

On the subject of whether someone plotting a bomb attack -- but not actually doing it -- has committed a crime under Thailand's penal code, I did manage to find an English version of the Penal Code and a section on terrorism that appears to cover the circumstances alleged at hand here....

If you read the following, you'd wonder how the Thai government folks could be saying a guy who allegedly plotted a bomb attack in Bangkok hasn't broken any law.

TITLE I/I

THE OFFENCE IN RESPECT OF TERRORIZATION

Section 135/2 Whoever:

1. Treated to make a terrorization under circumstances advisable to be believed that such person will do as treatment really; or
  2. Collect forces or arms, procure or gather property, give or receive a training terrorization, prepare any other act or conspire each other to terrorize or commit any offence in a part of plan to terrorize or abet people into a part of terrorization or ones know the terrorists and commit any act to be covered;

Such person shall be imprisoned as from two years to ten years and fined as from four ten thousands Baht to two hundred thousands Baht.

http://www.samuifors...l-code.html#112

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Hezbollah has everything to lose and nothing to gain by carrying out a terrorist act here in Thailand,, neither do have the resources or in my opinion the will to carry out such an alleged attack.

They have carried out attack in other places around the globe, so not a matter of capability or lack of resources.

Attacks aren't always directed at the country, but at targets within that country. That doesn't usually help bystanders much.

Your comments may prove too succinct and rational for some.

This prompted me to read up on this organization - rather easy to do here:

http://en.wikipedia....and_kidnappings

I read this whole long page about Hezbollah. Apart from the fact that Hezbollah has - for example - denounced the 9/11 attacks, and also the JI bombings in Bali, and has never admitted to being behind those three (I think) incidents in recent times that Israel has accused them of. Apart from all that, it's clear that a major bomb attack in Bangkok would be something completely new and unheard-of for this organization. Even enemies of Hezbollah would have to come to that conclusion.

Hezbollah are no choir boys and who knows what sort of things they have done or not done in the middle east. War brings with it horrific crimes committed by the involved parties - that's almost a given. But they have no history of attacks outside the region. Not saying they're freedom fighters or anything like that but Terror attacks in Thailand of all places - unlikely. They're also sponsored by Iran and Thailand has good relations there and with everyone - pretty much the only truthful statement from the foreign minister...

Oh yeah, let's reset the THREAT LEVEL to YELLOW, shall we. REMAIN VIGILANT. REMAIN FEARFUL tongue.png

Methink you better go on reading the seperate articles relating to those bombings (links are there), A lot more details about the way investigations were conducted, and some regarding background details (more so for the 2nd bombing in Argentina).

Despite what your wrote, there are arrest warrants, issued by Argentinian authorities, for suspects who are Hezbolla members and Iranian armed forces personal.

There's also a section that appears to be a kind of conspiracy provision, though the specifics seem a bit more vague as regards the current case.

OFFENCE RELATING TO PUBLIC PEACE

Section 209 Whoever to be a member of a body of persons whose proceedings are secret and whose aim to be unlawful, is said to be a member of a secret society, shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding seven years and fined not exceeding fourteen thousand Baht.

If the offender be the chief, manager or office-bearer in such body of persons, such person shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding ten years and fined not exceeding twenty thousand Baht.

Section 210 Whenever five persons upwards conspire to commit any offence provided in this Book II and punishable with maximum imprisonment of one year upwards, every such person is said to be a member of a criminal association, and shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding five years or fined not exceeding ten thousand Baht, or both.

If it be a conspiracy to commit an offence punishable with death, imprisonment for life or imprisonment from ten years upwards, the offender shall be punished with imprisonment of two to ten years and fined of four thousand to twenty thousand Baht.

Section 211 Whoever, to meets in the meeting of secret society or criminal association, the person is said to commit the offence to be such secret society or criminal association unless such person can show that having met without the knowledge that being the meeting of secret society or criminal association.

Section 212 Whoever:

1. Procures a meeting place or lodge for a secret society or criminal association ;
  2. Induces a person to become a member of a secret society or criminal association;
  3. Aids a member of secret society or criminal association by contribution of money or in any other way; or
  4. Assists in the disposal of property obtained by the secret society or criminal association through any offence, shall be punished likewise as a member of a secret society or criminal association, as the case may be.

Section 213 Whenever an offence is committed by any member of a secret society or criminal association in prosecution of the common aim of such society or association, every member who was present at the time of the commission of such offence, or who was present at the meeting where the commission of such offence was decided upon, and the chief manager or office-bearer of such society or association, shall be liable to the punishment prescribed for such offence.

Section 214 Whoever, behaves habitually, lodges or procures the retreat place or meeting place to the persons whom oneself knowing to have the committed offence as provided by this Book 2, such person shall be imprisoned not out of three years or fined not out of six thousand Baht, or both.

If the offence to be committed so as to help the father, mother, child, husband or wife, the Court may not inflict any punishment at all.

Section 215 Whenever ten persons upwards being assembled together do or threaten to do an act of violence, or do any thing to cause a breach of the peace, every such person shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding six months or fined not exceeding one thousand Baht, or both.

If any of the offenders carries an arm, all the offenders shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding two years or fined not exceeding four thousand Baht, or both. If the offender be the manager or person having the duty to give orders for the commission of the offence, such offender shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding five years or fined not exceeding ten thousand Baht, or both.

Section 216 When the official orders any person assembled to gather so as to commit the offence as prescribed under Section 215 to disperse, such person not to disperse shall be imprisoned not out of three years or fined not out of six thousand Baht, or both.

Keep in mind, these are unofficial English translations of the actual Thai Penal Code, which accounts for the wording being a bit strained...

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

JT correct me if I am wrong but you seem to be suggesting that there is a prospect of a "bigger global developing war" . Do you seriously believe that is the case - that the Islamic Jihadists really consider that there is a possibility of taking over the world and establishing a global sultanate?

The crazier one may be into that dream but not something I think about at all.

With respect you are rather begging the question; whichever administration takes power in November there is the problem that the US military is overstretched and have few outside resources to call upon with Nato's somewhat reluctant involvement in Afghanistan. My opinion is that the Iranians are well aware of this and are confident that they will not have a serious challenge to their nuclear programme apart from an Israeli attack which they know will be condemned by countries not linked so closely to them as is the US

Israel is stronger than Iran militarily. So is the USA. Iran can't win militarily. They are being squeezed now by the sanctions and an internal power struggle. Also the Israelis have been quite aggressive. Predicting the outcome of all this is way beyond me. The main reason that Israel hasn't attacked already is the blowback would be huge, Obama is against it, and the goal, stopping Iran from getting nukes is probably impossible now with focused strikes. Edited by Jingthing

No, I don't "favor Iran over America and Israel." I don't view international conflicts like some sporting event in which one roots for one side or another. I just don't like wars. And claiming that the other side is irrational, in "revenge mode," or act differently that "civilized" nations is method used by govermments to gain popular support for their wars.

In the end, the ultimate motive for all wars is the same... to help some elite group enhance their economic position. Most citizins of a country won't benefit and, in fact, will end up paying for it. The US has been involved in quite a few offensive wars lately so, yes, I'm skeptical of it's reasonings. IMO this upcoming war with Iran will escalate due to business interests, particularly with the Saudis.

• Like 1

No, I don't "favor Iran over America and Israel." I don't view international conflicts like some sporting event in which one roots for one side or another. I just don't like wars. And claiming that the other side is irrational, in "revenge mode," or act differently that "civilized" nations is method used by govermments to gain popular support for their wars.

In the end, the ultimate motive for all wars is the same... to help some elite group enhance their economic position. Most citizins of a country won't benefit and, in fact, will end up paying for it. The US has been involved in quite a few offensive wars lately so, yes, I'm skeptical of it's reasonings. IMO this upcoming war with Iran will escalate due to business interests, particularly with the Saudis.

Not all wars are wars of choice. Iraq was. Iran may not be.

Really. How is the choice level different?

Certainly, NATO's actions in Libya were by choice. The UK and France were initially more gung-ho about it but the US certainly played their part.

The US wants a war here but the difference with the Libya is that it will harder to get UN approval and general international support.

China and Russia didn't really care about Libya; they were happy to abstain from voting and then condemn the action later. One or both are more likely to veto any action against Iran.

what? bigger global developing war ???

Thailand don't wont get involved (that part you got right) in the Israel - Lebanon/Hezbollah conflict. And the "terrorists" simply isn't in their eyes a terrorists.

The officials' comments in the OP post here reflect what a bunch of bozo's they are...

I have to agree.

So now another reported confirmation that the guy in custody has confessed to being part of a terrorist plot...

I'm not buying this line at all. A trained terrorist is going to confess details of his mission to the BiB over a singular questioning session? Pure fantasy.

And there's no mention from the authorities of any plan to prosecute him for that....

More fantasy.

You could scream TERRORISTS even louder, it will remain a fact that its a stance only shared by Israel, USA, a few allies and some Sunni clerics. Other countries, other people have a different opinion.

People who plot bombing attacks aimed at killing innocent civilians who are uninvolved in whatever political grievances the plotters may have are terrorists -- no matter what country they come from or what movement they're affiliated with.

The fact that in this case, at least thus far, they weren't able to successfully carry out their plot doesn't change the fact that they're terrorists...and criminals.... In most countries in the world, actual plotting and preparations to carry out a bombing attack would be considered a criminal offense.

The truth of the matter is, it's probably also a criminal offense under some section of Thailand's criminal law. But for whatever reason/s, at least thus far, the Thai authorities don't seem inclined to treat it as a criminal matter.

I don't care whether these guys were Hezbollah, Lebanese, Swedes, Eskimos, dwarfs or transvestites... I don't care what country they came from or what nationality they claim. The fact that they were plotting a bombing attack aimed at killing innocent civilians is enough... that's all that matters.

You are right, people who plot bombing attacks aimed at killing innocent civilians are terrorists.

The question is: have the accused actually done that?

If you believe this statement made by the accused, then yes, he is guilty of conspiracy to perform an act of terrorism.

Priewpan said Lebanese man Atris Hussein, 48, who was arrested for suspected links with the Hezbollah militant group, yesterday admitted the plot to police interrogators.

"The suspect told us that the movement cancelled the plan after the authorities learned about it," he said, declining to provide any more details of the alleged confession.

^^ If you believe what the police chief had said who just wants to spread the message that the terror plan is cancelled now and all back to normal.

and there will be no charges.

Time to realize it. Thailand doesn't see these 'terrorists' as terrorists.

Really. How is the choice level different?

Certainly, NATO's actions in Libya were by choice. The UK and France were initially more gung-ho about it but the US certainly played their part.

The US wants a war here but the difference with the Libya is that it will harder to get UN approval and general international support.

China and Russia didn't really care about Libya; they were happy to abstain from voting and then condemn the action later. One or both are more likely to veto any action against Iran.

In case you missed it, Iran is threatening to shut down the Straits of Hormuz in retaliation for the sanctions that have been placed on them, shutting down shipment of 20% of the world oil supply. The Iranian Navy vessel was jousting with a US Navy vessel yesterday in the straits, attempting to incite US action.

China is the primary customer for Iranian oil. They have been sourcing more crude from the spot market, hedging their exposure should things in the gulf ignite.

A note: If targeting civilians with grenades and bombs is the trademark of a terrorist-organization then that means the Red Shirts are one - and I doubt the government is going to walk down that path.

Another note: Any statement from this argument about any attack being called off is without any proof and pure lip-weather.

An admission of a plot is proof (submittable evidence) in most courts of law.

As for the whole red shirt mess.... I seem to remember that Thaksin was labeled as a terrorist by the last Thai government.

If Iran would stop funding the idiots who for idealogical reasons think it is necessary to kill Westerners wherever they may be, then the likelihood of Iran being bombed would be greatly reduced.

Of course this logic will not be recognized in Tehran as it is run by a moron midget and old men who think that killing non-believers buys them a ticket to heaven.

Hezbollah isn't a group that "think it is necessary to kill Westerners wherever they may be."

Their targets are politcal and military and their focus on Israeli influence in Lebanon. That's why a warning about targeting tourist areas desn't sound like Hezbollah... they don't target random civilians.

And the public statements from the Thai government might sound a bit amuzing or odd... but they aren't stupid and they know how to control things. They don't want a terrorist attack here. It would hurt Thailand's international image.

If they really thought the guy that they brought in for questioning was dangerous or if their was a real threat, they would have never let him go so quickly.

Oh, and some other post mentions 800+ bus bombings in Israel. That's not Hezbollah, either. Not all groups labeled as "terrorist" are the same, do the same things or have the same political agenda.

My post never mentioned Hezbollah, though I do agree they are idiots.

It's a good thing that this non-incident has raised awareness about the vulnerability of BKK as a soft terrorist target. But let's face it Hezbollah would Not be involved. Other terrorist groups of the Extreme Religious Fundamentalist type Yes but Hezbollah is Political not Religious

Their only Gripe is with Israel. Their only target is Israel. It's not surprising therefore that Israel gave the (probably bogus) warning about some Lebanese tourists in LOS.

Hezbollah want to gain credibility as a serious Political organisation not as terrorists. So it would be a major faux pas to attack anyone but Israelis.

They haven't targeted non Israelis before. Obviously as they get funding from Iran and Israel is practically a USA military facility in the ME a connection is made. Because USA and Israel want to attack Iran ASAP. Incidents (set up) like this help a lot. Like the Gulf of Tonkin incident for example and some say 9/11 even.

Meanwhile, we can rest assured that Hezbollah have no intention to ever attack Thailand, However other groups might do. I was in Bali 2 weeks before the bombings and I realized at the time it was a disaster just waiting to happen.

I feel the same way about certain parts of BKK but please don't repeat this as it might have negative impact on tourism. So let's shut about this and move on to other topics smile.png

Edited by metisdead
Please do not post in all capital letters, bold, unusual fonts, sizes or colors. It can be difficult to read.

Their only Gripe is with Israel. Their only target is Israel.

Nonsense. Hezbollah are not picky about who they blow up.

"Israel is not the only enemy of Hezbollah. This group also seeks to defeat other influences in the Middle East, including that of the United States. It is believed that the suicide bombing of a U.S. Marine’s barracks in Beirut in 1983 was the work of Hezbollah. The attack killed 241 Marines. Many other suicide bombings are credited to Hezbollah as well, and several Western hostages are believed to have been kidnapped by this group over the years."

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-hezbollah.htm