Hezbollah 'Calls Off Attacks'

Lite Beer

Their only Gripe is with Israel. Their only target is Israel.

Nonsense. Hezbollah are not picky about who they blow up.

"Israel is not the only enemy of Hezbollah. This group also seeks to defeat other influences in the Middle East, including that of the United States. It is believed that the suicide bombing of a U.S. Marine’s barracks in Beirut in 1983 was the work of Hezbollah. The attack killed 241 Marines. Many other suicide bombings are credited to Hezbollah as well, and several Western hostages are believed to have been kidnapped by this group over the years."

http://www.wisegeek....s-hezbollah.htm

LMAO Give a credible source.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Their only Gripe is with Israel. Their only target is Israel.

Nonsense. Hezbollah are not picky about who they blow up.

"Israel is not the only enemy of Hezbollah. This group also seeks to defeat other influences in the Middle East, including that of the United States. It is believed that the suicide bombing of a U.S. Marine’s barracks in Beirut in 1983 was the work of Hezbollah. The attack killed 241 Marines. Many other suicide bombings are credited to Hezbollah as well, and several Western hostages are believed to have been kidnapped by this group over the years."

http://www.wisegeek....s-hezbollah.htm

LMAO Give a credible source.

But the point is they will NEVER attack Thailand. No reason to.

But the point is they will NEVER attack Thailand. No reason to.

Not this again. The warning was about an attack IN Thailand against western targets (yes obviously Israelis and Jews the preferred target, Americans not far behind) NOT an attack ON Thailand. The same kind of thing, yes Hezbollah pulled off in Argentina, an attack IN Argentina against Jews not an attack ON Argentina. The truth isn't on your side with this one, mate. Will Hezbollah actually ever succeed with a similar attack IN Thailand? I don't know, I hope not, but that doesn't mean it is out of the realm of possibility which is the silliness you seem to be pushing. It's easy to whine when a warning doesn't materialize, but it's funny that when attacks do happen and warnings aren't given when there was good enough evidence to issue them, the complaining is mysteriously worse. So governments can't win on this one. As pointed out, the US embassy warning was extremely exceptional. They clearly had grounds to issue it. The clumsy Thai government reaction to my embassy trying to warn American citizens about a real threat is very much not appreciated by this American! The US embassy is American property and part of their role is to be of assistance to Americans IN Thailand. To suggest they need foreign permission to inform their own citizens is not understanding the role of an embassy. Edited by Jingthing

But the point is they will NEVER attack Thailand.

How do you know? rolleyes.gif

There's as much chance or better that Israel would attack BKK. To create war with Iran. But an incident in the Gulf of Hormuz or the assassination of an Iranian nuclear scientist would do nicely too.

Give a credible source.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

How do you know? rolleyes.gif

There's as much chance or better that Israel would attack BKK.

Yeah, sure. wacko.png

The British regarded the Israelis as terrorists too eg 91 innocent people killed. Mostly Brits..But my Dad is Jewish so I'm not antisemite

King David Hotel bombing...Google it

• Like 1

Israel needs a war with Iran like it needs a bagel without a hole. It's not a matter of wanting a war. It's a matter of stopping Iran from going nuclear and whether that is important enough of an existential threat to Israel to make war a better option than no war.

The British regarded the Israelis as terrorists too eg 91 innocent people killed. Mostly Brits..But my Dad is Jewish so I'm not antisemite

King David Hotel bombing...Google it

History lesson huh? The Brits were colonialist rulers and they were turning away ships of refugee Jews from Europe. The bombers say the Brits were warned but ignored the warning. Do you know whether they were really warned or not? Neither do I.

Would Israel attack Thailand? Of course not. But they might carry out targeting operations against high value strategic enemy targets in many places in the world if they could (don't think they would do this in Thailand due to functioning diplomatic relations). Somehow not the same kind of thing as blowing up innocent backpackers and civilians going to synagogue.

Edited by Jingthing

Israel needs a war with Iran like it needs a bagel without a hole. It's not a matter of wanting a war. It's a matter of stopping Iran from going nuclear and whether that is important enough of an existential threat to Israel to make war a better option than no war.

Sadly Israel is Nuclear already but NOT for peaceful means. Why not focus on disarming them?

• Like 1

Sadly Israel is Nuclear already but NOT for peaceful means. Why not focus on disarming them?

Not that meme again. Search the forum. It has been discussed many times already.

The British regarded the Israelis as terrorists too eg 91 innocent people killed. Mostly Brits..

I don't need to Googe it. The Brits made the Jews promises and then stabbed them in the back. The King David hotel was the HQ of the British Army and the Israelis called and warned everyone to get out. They were told that. "we do not take orders from Jews" and the British refused to move and the rest is ancient history.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Not that meme again. Search the forum. It has been discussed many times already.

I can't be bothered. I need to check my car in case of a Mossad bomb. If I'm not back later call the British Embassy :)

How do you know? There are plenty of Westerners in Thailand and they are not that fussy about their victims. rolleyes.gif

They aren't attacking Thailand, they are going after Israelis. Get it? Same as they did in Argentina.

Here's a quote on the internet. Pretty good proof something was up. Along with all the increased activity by the police and army here lately. Bag checks on KSR, jamming cell phone signals near government buildings, and barricades. It's on the web, you can check it out:

Mr Hussein admitted to police investigators the group had been prepared to launch terrorist attacks in Bangkok, but they had to cancel the plan after his arrest.

Iran funds Hezbollah. Iran is in revenge mode. Get the picture? I think you do but for some reason won't acknowledge it.

What exactly is "revenge mode?" How do sovereign nations switch from "normal mode" to this "revenge mode?" Do they use a switch or a button? Are there additional modes as well?

"Revenge mode" sounds like empty rhetoric used by spin machines to stir people up, get them ready for war (aka "fightin' mode").

It's a manner of speaking. I get the feeling from direct, clear statements coming out of Iran that they fully intend to take revenge. I call that revenge mode. You can call it potato salad for all I care. Same difference. It's just semantics games with you anyway. Look, it's OK to favor Iran over America and Israel. Plenty of people do. That's what makes ... wars. Yes there is still hope this won't escalate but I wouldn't bet too much on it.

Hezbollah is based in Lebanon. Where does the Iran thing come in.

Hezbollah is a proxy militia for Iran.

Israels leadership is under the misconception that yet again others will die for the state of Israel, people are not so gullible these days,

No one wants Iran to get the nuclear bomb (other than a few nuts on the internet) and they have signed treaties that they won't. If they re allowed to, all the other unstable countries in the region will do the same. Iran can stop their nuclear weapons program or face the consequences.

Personally, I hope that they do the right thing and cease building nuclear weapons, but, otherwise, someone needs to drop Bunker Busters (only) on their nuclear sites and put them out of commission. It is up to Iran to honor the commitments that they have made.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Israels leadership is under the misconception that yet again others will die for the state of Israel, people are not so gullible these days,

No one wants Iran to get the nuclear bomb (other than a few nuts on the internet) and they have signed treaties that they won't. If they re allowed to, all the other unstable countries in the region will do the same. Iran can stop their nuclear weapons program or face the consequences. Personally, I hope that they do the right thing and cease building nuclear weapons, but otherwise, someone needs to drop Bunker Busters on their nuclear sites and put them out of commission.

Using that logic...no one in the region wants Israel to have a nuke bomb and as they haven't signed a treaty there should be sanctions against them until they do. They should also allow inspectors in to verify they don't have one. If Israel didn't have nukes then there wouldn't be any reason for Iran to want one.

Simple thing to do is for Iran to publicly state they withdraw from the treaty and then never allow inspectors in and never comment on whether they have or haven't got nukes. Works for one it should be ok to work for the other.

• Like 1

Works for one it should be ok to work for the other.

Sadly what should be ok never is....

There are those who are deemed never right & those who are deemed never wrong....

BTW: Israel has not had an inspection since Nixon was president in the US

That in itself & all that went with it is interesting reading but OT

Are people in denial or completely ignorant of Hezbollah's past operations?

Hezbollah has killed more US nationals than Israelis. Hundreds of US nationals have been murdered by Hezbollah. As such, they pose a threat to US nationals.

Hezbollah has kidnapped more Europeans than Israelis. Hezbollah has repeatedly threatened and murdered EU nationals, and been responsible for hijackings. As such, they pose a threat to EU nationals. The western authorities did the right thing by sounding an alarm.Here's a quick recap for those that think Hezbollah is harmless;

· July 19, 1982: Hezbollah kidnaps the president of the American University in Beirut, Davis S. Dodge, This was the start of Hezbollah's kidnap and ransom operations with 30+ Westerners kidnapped and held for ransom.

· April 18, 1983: Hezbollah attacks the U.S. embassy in Beirut with a car bomb, killing 63 people, 17 of whom were American citizens.

· Oct. 23, 1983: Hezbollah attacks attacks U.S. Marine barracks with a truck bomb, killing 241 American military personnel stationed in Beirut as part of a peace-keeping force. A separate attack against the French military compound in Beirut kills 58.

· Sept. 20, 1984: Hezbollah attacks the U.S. embassy annex in Beirut with a car bomb, killing 2 Americans and 22 others.

· March 16, 1984: William F. Buckley, a CIA operative working at the U.S. embassy in Beirut, is kidnapped and later murdered.

· April 12, 1984: Hezbollah attacks a restaurant near the U.S. Air Force Base in Torrejon, Spain. The bombing kills eighteen U.S. servicemen and injures 83 people.

· Dec. 4, 1984: Hezbollah terrorists hijack a Kuwait Airlines plane. Four passengers are murdered, including two Americans.

· June 14, 1985: Hezbollah terrorists hijack TWA flight 847. The hijackers severely beat Passenger Robert Stethem, a U.S. Navy diver, before killing him and dumping his body onto the tarmac at the Beirut airport. Other passengers are held as hostages before being released on June 30.

· Feb. 17, 1988: THezbollah kidnaps Col. William Higgins, a U.S. Marine serving with a United Nations truce monitoring group in Lebanon, and later murders him.

· March 17, 1992: With the help of Iranian intelligence, Hezbollah bombs the Israeli embassy in Buenos Aires, killing 29 and injuring over 200.

· July 18, 1994: Hezbollah bombs the Jewish community center in Buenos Aires–again with Iranian help–killing 86 and injuring over 200.

· Nov., 2002: Acting on tip offs from US and British intelligence, Canadian authorities prevent an attempted terrorist attack. Canada then lists Hezbollah as a terrorist organization in Dec. 2002..

· June 5, 2003: Following evidence of potential Hezbollah terror cells in Australia, Australia lists Hezbollah's "military wing" as a terrorist organization.

· Sept. 2, 2004: United Nations Security Council Resolution 1559 calls for "the disbanding and disarmament of all Lebanese and non-Lebanese militias," a reference to Hezbollah. Hezbollah and Iran refuse to acknowledge the UN concerns.

· December 2004: Both the United States and France ban Hezbollah's satellite television network, Al Manar. A U.S. State Department spokesman notes the channel "preaches violence and hatred."

· March 10, 2005: The European Parliament overwhelmingly passes a resolution stating: "Parliament considers that clear evidence exists of terrorist activities by Hezbollah. The (EU) Council should take all necessary steps to curtail them."

· Aug. 11, 2006: The United Nations Security Council unanimously adopts Resolution 1701, which calls for a cessation of hostilities, the deployment of Lebanese and U.N. forces into southern Lebanon, and the disarmament of armed groups in Lebanon.

Note that I have not mentioned any of the multiple attacks on Israel. This is all the international activity. I offer that the position adopted by the USA and its allies acted to keep the world and US nationals alot safer. Anyone that argues that Hezbollah does not present a threat to the security of many westerners is a clueless idiot. The facts speak for themselves. Maybe some of you don't care if the US embassy or the some of the multiple medical and cultural support facilities are attacked. I do. Lose some of those people and you'll see it reflected in a major cost to the economy.

Edited by geriatrickid

It's a good thing that this non-incident has raised awareness about the vulnerability of BKK as a soft terrorist target. But let's face it Hezbollah would Not be involved. Other terrorist groups of the Extreme Religious Fundamentalist type Yes but Hezbollah is Political not Religious

Their only Gripe is with Israel. Their only target is Israel. It's not surprising therefore that Israel gave the (probably bogus) warning about some Lebanese tourists in LOS.

Hezbollah want to gain credibility as a serious Political organisation not as terrorists. So it would be a major faux pas to attack anyone but Israelis.

They haven't targeted non Israelis before. Obviously as they get funding from Iran and Israel is practically a USA military facility in the ME a connection is made. Because USA and Israel want to attack Iran ASAP. Incidents (set up) like this help a lot. Like the Gulf of Tonkin incident for example and some say 9/11 even.

Meanwhile, we can rest assured that Hezbollah have no intention to ever attack Thailand, However other groups might do. I was in Bali 2 weeks before the bombings and I realized at the time it was a disaster just waiting to happen.

I feel the same way about certain parts of BKK but please don't repeat this as it might have negative impact on tourism. So let's shut about this and move on to other topics smile.png

The only gripe is with Israel? WRONG.

Hezbollah has murdered more US nationals than Israelis. Hezbollah has kidnapped more EU nationals than Israelis.

Yes, I am repeating the same thing over and over, but how else to point out the repeated errors?

Edited by geriatrickid

Simple thing to do is for Iran to publicly state they withdraw from the treaty and then never allow inspectors in and never comment on whether they have or haven't got nukes.

They ALREADY signed the treaty and ALREADY violated it. Too late for that. rolleyes.gif

Israel is worse because they didn't even sign it.

So both are ignoring the restriction on nukes. Both deserve to either have them or not have them.

You are right, people who plot bombing attacks aimed at killing innocent civilians are terrorists.

The question is: have the accused actually done that?

In the past several days, there have been several Thai government statements to the local media saying the guy in custody has confessed to plotting an attack in BKK. What more do you want???

Not picking on you John, but I repeat my answer to an earlier thread, does that make any sense? The guy has confessed to plotting a terrorist attack in Bkk, and because he didn't carry out the attack he is released without charge?

The intellegence agencies have international links with other agencies, and if this were the case, there is no way he would be released.

• Like 1