Terror Suspect Still At Large May Be Hezbollah Operative : Israeli News

Lite Beer

Terror suspect still at large may be Hezbollah operative : Israeli news

30173769-01_big.jpg

Sketch of terror suspect still at large in Bangkok bore great resemble to Hezbollah operative believed to be in charge of recruiting Hezbollah agents worldwide, an Israeli news online said Sunday.

Ynetnews identified the suspect as Naim Haris, as an accomplice of Swedish-Lebanese Hussein Atris, 47, who was detained at Suvarnabhumi Airport on Friday on suspicion of planning to blow up Israeli targets in Thailand and has link with Hezbollah militant group based in Lebanon.

The online said the composite portrait of the accomplice released by Thai police bore a great resemblance to Hezbollah operative Naim Haris.

"The latter’s photo was unusually published last year, by the Shin Bet, which at the time identified him as an operative in charge of recruiting Hezbollah agents worldwide."

It also reported that an examination of the passport, which was obtained by Ynet, revealed that Atris was born in southern Lebanon and married a Swedish woman in 1996. The marriage made him eligible for a Swedish passport, which he allegedly exploited for the benefit of Hezbollah’s terrorism apparatus.

According to reports by Swedish media, Atris previously owned a hair saloon in Gothenburg, before returning to Lebanon more than 10 years ago. Moreover, one of his relatives, German resident Muhammad Atris, was involved in the past in the Iranian assassination of four Kurdish opposition figures in 1992.

"Iran is believed to have prepared a broad infrastructure for recruiting agents in Thailand by setting up schools, cultural and religious facilities for the benefit of the country’s Muslim population. These institutions have been disseminating anti-Israeli and anti-American propaganda materials.

Iran and Hezbollah may have now chosen Thailand as the target for a terror attack against Israel, possibly to avenge the recent killings and blasts in Iran, or to take revenge for the assassination of Hezbollah’s military chief Imad Mugniyah some four years ago, the online reported.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-01-15

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! I naively hadn't considered that Iranian funded Hezbollah may be infiltrating in their charming way into the Thailand specific conflict. Its not really surprising as this is a pattern coming from Iran. Locals in Afghanistan have described the Iranian influence as like a cancer. I guess it is worth considering now that thanks to Iran, the southern conflict in Thailand and the external conflict in the middle east may be considered related and linked.

Edited by Jingthing

Still think it is just a load of old cobblers. Election fever at it's American best. The sketch looks a bit like Ross from friends.

I dare say though that even if this guy is in Thailand, which he might be, it's a better bet he is just taking his R+R in pattaya with the fat girls there; even international terrorists need to unwind with a beer and a gal occasionally.

• Like 2

Still think it is just a load of old cobblers. Election fever at it's American best. The sketch looks a bit like Ross from friends.

I dare say though that even if this guy is in Thailand, which he might be, it's a better bet he is just taking his R+R in pattaya with the fat girls there; even international terrorists need to unwind with a beer and a gal occasionally.

It would favor the right wing US party for war to be whipped up, so you are saying the Mormon did it?w00t.gif Edited by Jingthing

It is perfectly acceptable to report on events and give opinions, but editorializing events to bash any specific country is against ThaiVisa posting rules. One post removed as well as the reply.

Another post of anti-Semitic nature has been removed as well as replies.

• Like 1

Wow! I naively hadn't considered that Iranian funded Hezbollah may be infiltrating in their charming way into the Thailand specific conflict. Its not really surprising as this is a pattern coming from Iran. Locals in Afghanistan have described the Iranian influence as like a cancer. I guess it is worth considering now that thanks to Iran, the southern conflict in Thailand and the external conflict in the middle east may be considered related and linked.

I'm lost. Where does it say or imply "Iranian funded Hezbollah may be infiltrating in their charming way into the Thailand specific conflict."

I presume you are talking about Southern Thailand?

• Like 1

Thailand isn't at war with Iran.

Correct. What's your point?

If you are trying to sell that silliness that a Hezbollah attack IN Thailand against Jews and westerners is the same thing as an attack ON Thailand, that simply defies logic.

There isn't an attack against Jews and westerners in Thailand.

And its not a crime in Thailand to set up some up schools, cultural and religious facilities for the benefit of the country’s Muslim population.

You are trying to sell the silliness that if everyone who isn't in full war mood against Iran is a radical Islamic fundamentalist.

• Like 1

I'm lost. Where does it say or imply "Iranian funded Hezbollah may be infiltrating in their charming way into the Thailand specific conflict."

Read the OP. First I heard of it. More evidence would be good .

It's a war situation. No surprise that some posters here are siding with the radical Islamic fundamentalist state of Iran. I think its valid that different sides are represented. I am amused that you seem to think Zionism (Jewish nationalism) is a dirty word. Is Palestinian nationalism also dirty? Thai nationalism?

If you are trying to sell that silliness that a Hezbollah attack IN Thailand against Jews and westerners is the same thing as an attack ON Thailand, that simply defies logic.

What Hezbollah attack IN Thailand against Jews and Westerners? Its all in your head.
  • Like 2

There isn't an attack against Jews and westerners in Thailand.

And its not a crime in Thailand to set up some up schools, cultural and religious facilities for the benefit of the country’s Muslim population.

You are trying to sell the silliness that if everyone who isn't in full war mood against Iran is a radical Islamic fundamentalist.

You're just playing semantic games now. The Hezbollah plan we have been talking about was clearly about an attack on Jews and some other westerners in Thailand. As yet it hasn't happened, and most of us hope it won't happen, but that was the plan we are talking about. If you want to say it was Israeli propaganda, go ahead and believe that.

It's a war situation. No surprise that some posters here are siding with the radical Islamic fundamentalist state of Iran. I think its valid that different sides are represented. I am amused that you seem to think Zionism (Jewish nationalism) is a dirty word. Is Palestinian nationalism also dirty? Thai nationalism?

What Hezbollah attack IN Thailand against Jews and Westerners? Its all in your head.

Yeah 1972 didn't happen either. The terrorists responsible for the Bali bombing found to be based in THAILAND, they were just phantoms as well. What is the problem with facing reality here? Edited by Jingthing

Call me cynical but I can't help be reminded of the upsurge in hype and spin about WMD before we invaded Iraq. The terrorist scare which appears to have originated from Israel originally referred to Hezbollah as Iranian backed and now this latest online report is more directly pointing the finger at Iran.

These mad mullahs in Iran must be really unhinged if on the one hand they are racing to develop a nuclear weapon where you would think they would want to play for as much time as possible before any action was taken against them then on the other hand are plotting some sort of terrorist attack in Bangkok which would almost certainly speed up any attack against them.

Read the OP. First I heard of it. More evidence would be good .

okay..about the schools. I didn't register the first time. That could be Iranian influences. I saw the Hezbollah terrorist part as separate in the article (even though they are sponsored by Iran).

Call me cynical but I can't help be reminded of the upsurge in hype and spin about WMD before we invaded Iraq.

Sadham wasn't putting pictures of enriched nuclear rods that he was developing on TV. rolleyes.gif

I would be very surprised if Iran were not developing a nuclear weapon - plotting terrorist attacks in Bangkok on the other hand I am not so sure on.

Call me cynical but I can't help be reminded of the upsurge in hype and spin about WMD before we invaded Iraq.

Sadham wasn't putting pictures of enriched nuclear rods that he was developing on TV. rolleyes.gif

I would be very surprised if Iran were not developing a nuclear weapon - plotting terrorist attacks in Bangkok on the other hand I am not so sure on.

What is the Iranian leadership? The answer -- different factions with different goals.

Call me cynical but I can't help be reminded of the upsurge in hype and spin about WMD before we invaded Iraq. The terrorist scare which appears to have originated from Israel originally referred to Hezbollah as Iranian backed and now this latest online report is more directly pointing the finger at Iran.

These mad mullahs in Iran must be really unhinged if on the one hand they are racing to develop a nuclear weapon where you would think they would want to play for as much time as possible before any action was taken against them then on the other hand are plotting some sort of terrorist attack in Bangkok which would almost certainly speed up any attack against them.

Unfortuneatly the US, in many people's eyes, did use spin over substance in regard to the WMD and Iraq invasion. There has been a lot of similar build up and spin about Iran (as we saw with Iraq) and its evil doings, esp in relation to Nuclear weaponry capability.

Iran feels it can act under the veil of Hezbollah or whoever. Unhinged does seem appropriate.

The online said the composite portrait of the accomplice released by Thai police bore a great resemblance to Hezbollah operative Naim Haris.

Anybody believing this so called 'identification' from the sketch must be delusional. Either it was known before that this guy is/was here (after all the Israeli tipped off the Thai governement some time ago) or they just pulled that out of a hat.

Unfortuneatly the US, in many people's eyes, did use spin over substance in regard to the WMD and Iraq invasion. There has been a lot of similar build up and spin about Iran (as we saw with Iraq) and its evil doings, esp in relation to Nuclear weaponry capability.

Iran feels it can act under the veil of Hezbollah or whoever. Unhinged does seem appropriate.

Yes Bush lied, people died, blah blah blah, all true.

However back to rationality, each situation is different. Iraq could have been (and was in my view) a mistake but that doesn't mean there aren't other malicious players that need to be checked with better reason.

Yes Bush lied, people died, blah blah blah, all true.

However back to rationality, each situation is different. Iraq could have been (and was in my view) a mistake but that doesn't mean there aren't other malicious players that need to be checked with better reason.

I was being quite rational. Orac mentioned an upsurge in hype spin and i agree. The situations are different, yes. The hype and spin, overall, feel the same.

I really don't agree. Have you seen the video out of Iran? There was nothing like that happening before the Iraq invasion in Iraq. The situations are so completely different that I feel they have to be looked at that way.

Edited by Jingthing