Bad Farang Pub Service In Bangkok?

I frequent most foreign pubs and bars in Bangkok, mostly in lower Sukhumvit, and mainly for the pub grub. Usually I find the food and service very good. But some bad experiences, followed up by my complaints being ignored by management has led me to boycott certain establishments and consequently miss out on some good pub grub.

This lead me to wonder how often bad service is ignored and is there really anything one can do about it. Why should a few individual bad employees be allowed to upset customers and damage a pubs reputation and earning capacity. I believe that if the owners knew that their customers and so profits were being affected by bad staff that they would do something to rectify the situation. But how to let the owners know when their management don't act or reply to such complaints from their paying customers?

Maybe Thai visa can help?

I nominate, from my experience, The Queen Victoria Pub in Sukhumvit Soi 23.

I think this pub has great pub grub and is good value. But after having 2 emails completely ignored (see below) about rude staff ruining my experience there, I now boycott this establishment. But I miss the food and so wonder that, if the owners knew this, would they look into such complaints and rectify the situation?

Let me point out that I put this post forward not to damage any establishments, but to help the owners know that some bad staff are affecting their business and so give them a chance to rectify the situation.

Email complaint as follows;

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"To Whom It Concerns,

Having been eating your fine pub fare, mainly breakfasts, on and off

for more than a year now, I feel I must let you know that my friends

and I are now put off coming to your pub due to rude service. For

months, a certain waitress, when serving my friends and I, has been

less than friendly but efficient. But this unfriendly service has now

become downright rude. When we greet her with a friendly hello, how

are you etc, she hasn't even the courtesy to reply but just gives a

sullen look and walks off. I hope this can be rectified because

although I do enjoy your breakfasts, I do not enjoying starting my day

with such rude service and so will be taking my business elsewhere if

it happens again.

Hoping you can rectify the situation because your food is great."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW, I hope the Queen Victoria owners gets to know about this and can fix the problem because I miss their food.

So does anyone else have nominations and do you think we can we make a difference?

Edited by VictorMeldrewBKK

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pose there is little you can do other than lodge a complaint. If things get better, be happy. If they don't, treat the offending person in kind and hope they eventually quit. Try not to let their bad attitude get to you. If it does, don't go there. Don't know if bkk has anything like yelp.com.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

I stopped going to a pub after the owner went overseas and left his missuz in charge and she let her friends loiter around the bar using the internet, watching Thai soaps on TV and generally let the service slip. I have since returned, but did stop going for more than a year.

While I'm sympathetic to the OP and his frustration, I'm at somewhat of a loss to understand why he would be so upset at such a minor thing. To me, service is number one. The OP clearly states that the waitress was "efficient" in that regard. But this is what upsets him:

"When we greet her with a friendly hello, how are you etc, she hasn't even the courtesy to reply but just gives a

sullen look and walks off."

So she resisted his come-on? Is that it? If the waitress is half-attractive, I'm sure she gets that all day long. If I was her boss, I'd say that it was not part of her JD to kiss-up to every paying customer who was hitting on her. Why is it necessary to even greet her, ask her how are you, etc.? The girl just wants to take your order.

Anyways, just giving a counter-point.

• Like 1

So she resisted his come-on? Is that it? If the waitress is half-attractive, I'm sure she gets that all day long. If I was her boss, I'd say that it was not part of her JD to kiss-up to every paying customer who was hitting on her. Why is it necessary to even greet her, ask her how are you, etc.? The girl just wants to take your order.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Some guys have probably just gotten too used to women here sucking up to them. Try being a western woman in Thailand. The waitresses generally don't try to kiss our asses, so we're sometimes lucky to get service at all. The type of service described in the OP isn't "bad service" to me. It's "normal service." :)

That's exactly what I was thinking. Some guys have probably just gotten too used to women here sucking up to them. Try being a western woman in Thailand. The waitresses generally don't try to kiss our asses, so we're sometimes lucky to get service at all. The type of service described in the OP isn't "bad service" to me. It's "normal service." smile.png

Exactly. Some of the guys I've hung with (especially those visiting from overseas) have a tendency to go a bit overboard with any attractive young waitress. Sometimes the girl would react with an embarrassed smile or a giggle, but occassionally, a keen waitress would simply put them in their place (usually by just ignoring their advances). Then you get comments like, "geez, what's her problem," or "what a b*tch." I'd ask them why they're hitting on a defenseless girl just trying to do her job. I'd then get the stupidest of stupid comments like, "oh, I was just being friendly." BS! You were hitting on the poor girl!

farangme. Agreed. I stay away now because I don't like bad attitude or rude behavior with my breakfast, I like a pleasant start to the day which I now get elsewhere. Unfortunately the other establishments don't have such a good breakfast.

Berkshire: You are correct, it's the downright rude behavior and if you received it you would understand. And no there is no 'come on' from my side; I'm just being polite and pleasant by greeting staff with a kind hello which I do expect to be returned from anyone who is in the service industry. Not asking for any kiss up at all. Just a simple polite hello or good morning reply with a smile that's all. And why is it necessary to even greet her? Because I was brought up to be polite and courteous to all people, I am not rude or demeaning to people who are there to take my order.

tonititan: This is not normal service at all. All other pubs I go to have excellent, polite and friendly staff.

Digitalbanana: My expectation of service is astonishing??? What to have a simple ‘hello good morning’ receive a reply? I enjoy and want my breakfast without having to harass the staff. Efficient polite pleasant service is usually trained and available at such establishments.

To all: In case I haven’t put my case forward clearly enough, this post is to somehow let the owners know that rude attitude is being given with service in their place of business and this is losing them money and I want to give them the chance to rectify it. This pub's manager hasn't replied to 2 emails and that is unprofessional. I am not alone in this complaint as all my friends and visitors from outside Thailand that we have taken to this pub have agreed. If other posters don’t mind having staff be rude to them or want to be rude back then good for you. I do not. I expect efficient polite pleasant service because that is what is usually trained and expected from staff if a professional service orientated business. If I go to a cheap dive type 50 Baht beer bar I wouldn’t expect it. But even at such places I usually find the staff to be great.

So why am I bothering with all this? Because this pub is convenient for me, has great food and value and it is only being spoiled by one downright rude, sullen waitress. Take her away or change her attitude then I will be happy again eating probably the best British breakfast and best value in lower Sukhumvit. That’s my goal.

Vik mate - why not have a little competition with your friends - first one to make her laugh gets to have his breakfast bought for him. Makes the Brekkers more fun, and if she is having a hard time which she might very well be, you might lighten her day as well. You might severely annoy her and get barred as well, but you have already boycotted the place so what do you have to lose?

Berkshire: No BS, 100% not hitting on this girl. Unfortunately for her, she certainly wasn't blessed with good looks. And even if she was attractive there is no excuse for rudeness as we know we were not hitting on her.

Understand, Victor. You can still certainly frequent the establishment and possibly talk to the management on the premises if this is really troubling you. I can't imagine you'd get the same waitress every time...would you?

Berkshire: No BS, 100% not hitting on this girl. Unfortunately for her, she certainly wasn't blessed with good looks. And even if she was attractive there is no excuse for rudeness as we know we were not hitting on her.

Have you actually tried to speak to the local manager or the owner, if and when they are in town, about your complaint? I have found making the complaint personally is usually more effective than emails and posts on forums. However, if you prefer the written approach many pubs also have FB pages, so you might give that a try.

Berkshire

Most times it's the same waitress. As I said we tried emailing the management anonymously as we don't want to be known as the ones who caused problems for one of the staff. Sometimes that backfires and the rest of the staff then get on your case.

It doesn't really bother us that much, we have a new breakfast haunt, it's just we hoped that maybe their management or owners might read ThaiVisa and see this and so get back to replying to my email and give us feedback but nothing yet.

I was also interested to see if any other customers from this pub use this forum and seeing any comments from them.

I wonder how many rude sexmaniac farangs that waitress has to deal with everyday. A genuine smile and a look in your eyes like you aren't trying to bone her would probably go quite a long way.

On the other hand some people just aren't morning people, may want to give her time to warm up and wake up.

Since we are in Thailand since when does it say on a waitresses job description she should answer very Tom, Dick & Meldrew how they are today, in English language at that? My own thoughts to customer if I was said waitress would be to mind your own business, shut the <deleted> up and eat your crappy breakfast ! Just a thought.

Digitalbanana: Any professional F&B service industry business trains their staff to be polite and courteous if they want to do well.

We always noticed that this pub, although having great breakfast and value was nearly always empty compared to other pubs that do breakfast and that have good staff. Proof of the pudding maybe.

KRS1: Without being too mean, nature wasn't very kind to the waitress in question and so I don't think she has many, if any, rude sexmaniac farangs to deal with ever, unless late at night and very drunk.

Genuine smiles and a look in the eyes like you aren't trying to bone her never worked with this one.

Gers1873: Thanks for the advice but if you ever tried this pub's breakfast, with proper British bacon, sausages and black pudding, great baked beans and toast then you'd understand our loss and frustration. And it's all day so you can get there late.

OP wrote "It doesn't really bother us that much, we have a new breakfast haunt, it's just we hoped that maybe their....."

For someone who isnt bothered you are certainly making a mountain out of a mole-hill. Your remarks about the girl's looks were totally uncalled for --- are you Brad Pitt???

Gers1873: making a mountain out of a mole-hill? Yeah I'm starting to agree with you. But our new breakfast haunt isn't as good and not as convenient. But as I wrote, we just hoped that maybe their management or owners might read this forum and so get back to replying to my email and give us feedback. And maybe rectify the situation.

My comment about the girls looks was simply accurate and so totally in context with this post as some suggested we might of been hitting on the girl. Brad Pitt? No, more like Hugh Grant I've been told

BTW I like the fat girl joke

That's exactly what I was thinking. Some guys have probably just gotten too used to women here sucking up to them. Try being a western woman in Thailand. The waitresses generally don't try to kiss our asses, so we're sometimes lucky to get service at all. The type of service described in the OP isn't "bad service" to me. It's "normal service." smile.png

I really think the OP might be a little sensitive than he should be. Even petty in his pursuits.

• Like 1

I really think the OP might be a little sensitive than he should be. Even petty in his pursuits.

zzaa09: How is it petty to expect a bit of common courtesy and a polite reply to a simple hello good morning from a paid employee who's job it is to serve paying customers? It is their job not to be rude, its not an option.

Sensitive, me? LOL if only you knew.

What some of you seem to be missing is that it is not just the rude and sullen waitress that has stopped me and my mates going to this pub but that the management hasn't bothered to reply to a complaint and just ignored it. They have lost income, not much business sense there. If they can't be bothered then I won't bother spending my money there, that simple.