Photos For Uk Visa/Passport

My wife has just got her photos for her UK visa and also for my daughter's UK passport renewal.

I told her to get,as suggested on the website, 34mm x 45 mm.

But the only options at the shop were in inches - 2" x 1 " which is slightly larger than 45mm x 35mm.

Do you think these will be ok or should I trim them to be exact?

As long as they are the size stated there should be no problem , but why chance it , just get passport size photos, many places do them.

According to the shop,they are passport photos but maybe passport photos for Thailand are different ?

There are two sizes in our local photo shop. One is 'passport' (standard UK passport size) and 'Visa'. We had the slightly larger visa size taken and this turned out to be wrong. I assume it is correct for non-UK visas.

Fortunately it was possible to trim these down and just stay within the passport requirements. If in doubt find another shop that does standard passport size.

There are two sizes in our local photo shop. One is 'passport' (standard UK passport size) and 'Visa'. We had the slightly larger visa size taken and this turned out to be wrong. I assume it is correct for non-UK visas.

Fortunately it was possible to trim these down and just stay within the passport requirements. If in doubt find another shop that does standard passport size.

Did you trim them youself?

Did you trim them youself?

No -the shop had a special cutter and did it for us. They also checked that the ratio of height of the person against size of photograph to make sure it complied.

Update. Just returned this afternoon, from the UK Visa Application Centre at Regent House.

Outside on a notice board there is various information. There's also information regarding passport pictures, stating that the background colour should be white. No mention of any other colours.

The UK Border Agency gives info on 'Photograph Guidance' as being taken against a light grey or cream background.

My friend that had his photos rejected because of the white background when he was applying for a new UK passport via Hong Kong.

Therefore, to my knowledge, a white background is ok for a UK visa application but will be refused for a passport renewal.

We had to buy a piece of light grey material from the local market, to use as a backdrop for the photo, the photography shops in Phetchabun only had blue or white plain backgrounds. Don't forget to fill out the form in black ball point pen ONLY. We had a he_ll of a job finding one ! The advice on the passport site states do not trim photos yourself. I drew a box, 45mm x 35 mm on a sheet of paper for the photographer to print to that size, as the sizes in the shop were all too large for UK government requirements. Good luck !