Where To Buy Reasonable Thai Airway Tickets Other Than Online?

barefoot1988

I book online and everything was smooth till the credit card transaction, apparently it need my credit card security token number which i deactivated after I lost it, have yet to activate the replacement that being sent to my original address so its almost impossible to pay online . .

Went to a agency in airport central, the price differences quoted online and by them are ridiculous, a whopping 20k differences . . just wow, I asked again for the economy seat and yeah . . . amazing

anyway where could i get reasonable prized tickets? the thai airway website doesnt accept paypal so i am pretty much struck. could i just go to the airport and thai airway counter to get my tickets?

Most particularly, if you are in Bangkok - one can locate a score of legitimate and forthright ticket agents/brokers who offer daily and weekly discounts, amongst them - Thai Airways.

A number of agencies can be located along mid and lower Sukhumvit and Silom.

Most have websites or addresses/phone numbers that can easily be found with a thorough web search.....Google Thai might be more helpful.

OP "Went to a agency in airport central, the price differences quoted online and by them are ridiculous, a whopping 20k differences . . just wow, I asked again for the economy seat and yeah . . . amazing"

You do not appear to explicitly state which was 20K more expensive, the airport agency (I assume) or online. unsure.png

Try moxtravel.com, you can book on line, state which bank you want to pay at, they send a bar coded invoice which you take to the bank and pay easy. by the time you get home , there will be an e-mail with tickets, very good service.

In Thailand in my experience it is actually MORE expensive to book online than directly with the airline. Coming from a US/UK background this seemed a little odd at first. However, I have found the same thing with Thai, Bangkok Airways and China Air, to name just three examples. It is often also more expensive to book with a travel agent than directly with the airline. Consequently I usually check the price first online and then go to the airline office and ask them what is the best fare they can offer. With Thai it is almost always significantly better than the online fare. You might also mention the fare from a competing airline and ask if they can match it. So I suggest going to the big Thai Air office in the old city (a short walk south of the Chang Puak gate) and booking there.

In Thailand in my experience it is actually MORE expensive to book online than directly with the airline. Coming from a US/UK background this seemed a little odd at first. However, I have found the same thing with Thai, Bangkok Airways and China Air, to name just three examples. It is often also more expensive to book with a travel agent than directly with the airline. Consequently I usually check the price first online and then go to the airline office and ask them what is the best fare they can offer. With Thai it is almost always significantly better than the online fare. You might also mention the fare from a competing airline and ask if they can match it. So I suggest going to the big Thai Air office in the old city (a short walk south of the Chang Puak gate) and booking there.

Are you getting the exact same ticket types? Also, when you book with Thai online, you are booking directly with Thai.

Bear in mind there are tickets that earn reduced or no mileage or are restrictive in other ways that you may be getting at the office.

I used to get the best Thai prices at Charal travel, but then the Thai website offered better prices. The downtown Thai office could not match the online price. This was BKK LAX BKK

Edited by mesquite

may I divagate a bit. Are all these specialspecial price you see in hundreds of newspaper ads worthless compared to booking direct? They can't be all aimed at the non-internet user, at laest not the ads in English newspapers, where most of the readers are educated enough to consult the internet too.

I, for one, admit that studying these ads is inspirational, let your mind jump more easily around the globe but I still make the final booking via internet direct with the airline.

Are you getting the exact same ticket types? Also, when you book with Thai online, you are booking directly with Thai.

Bear in mind there are tickets that earn reduced or no mileage or are restrictive in other ways that you may be getting at the office.

I used to get the best Thai prices at Charal travel, but then the Thai website offered better prices. The downtown Thai office could not match the online price. This was BKK LAX BKK

Yes, essentially the same tickets---no restrictions on mileage etc. What happens is that Thai generally seem to offer online their plain vanilla offerings, which may include a so-called "web special". However, if you go to their office they have a variety of other promotions. These promotions may be a little more restrictive in terms of refunds or length of stay etc, but if you are sure when you are going this is no problem. With China Airlines, it is strange. For a recent ticket to the US their "listed" price (which is what they show on the receipt even if you don't pay it) was 53,450B. Their online price was 46,000. But if you call their Bangkok office their price for the exact same ticket is 37,450. That last is what I actually paid. So it is worth making a call!

The OP started from the point of view of problems paying by credit card. IMHO, living in a foreign country, especially one like Thailand where one never knows quite what shit is going to hit the fan and when, one should have several banking and credit card options. I would feel very uneasy without several cards in my wallet and more options back home in the safe!

We use one agent int own who is good at getting seats on apparently full flights. They seem to know who to call at Thai to get seats released. Prices are good too, but as they add a 2.5% credit card surcharge (which clients then argue about when you try to expense it) I would only use them for stuff that is a bit complex and needs an agent to sort it out. For run of the mill stuff just book on line.