African Americans

adelaideHXC

Everytime I walk past an african american in the street they ask me 'what's up?'. Although I am not a racist, I am white with a shaved head and many tattoos, a look which may be similar to characters seen in movies such as romper stomper or american history X. In my own country 'foreigners' (blacks, indians, asians etc) never approach me in the street as I assume they view my appearance as having a little 'white power' edge to it.

As I mentioned earlier I am not a racist, I am however very curious as to why I keep getting approached in the street by this particular race. The only assumption I can make is that they have plans of scamming me somehow, much to their disappointment I do not reply and continue on my way.

Does anyone else encounter this on the streets or can anyone shed some light on this topic?

Enlightening responses would be greatly appreciated as I am immensely baffled by this.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apologies for the confusion, I live in Bangkok and am Australian.

As you all know there are many races of people living and holidaying in Thailand. Its not that i'm opposed to strangers talking to me, i'm just confused as to why black americans approach me alot, whereas people of other races do not.

Also apologies if I have offended anyone. My post was in no way intended to do so. I am just confused.

Ok let's assume he is not trolling.

First of all they blacks you meet in Thailand are most likely not Americans. Nearly all the black people I have met are actually from different countries in Africa. I have seen some dressed as americans and when i approach them and greet them, they are not American at all.

What's up is a common greeting used in the States. It's the same as saying hello. First check their body language. Does it seem positive? Then they are greeting you. Say hello back. Shake their hand. Ask them how they're doing.

Is their body language hostile looking? You've looked at somebody wrong or done something to offend them.

Again they are most likely not Americans if this whole thread is regarding Thailand.

Thanks for the reply IsaanUSA, once again I have more than likely incorrectly assumed they were american due to the way they dress.

Most of the time their body language appears neutral, no hostility nor visable positivity.

Perhaps I should just investigate this further for myself by engaging im conversation with them to see where it leads.

Thanks for the reply IsaanUSA, once again I have more than likely incorrectly assumed they were american due to the way they dress.

Most of the time their body language appears neutral, no hostility nor visable positivity.

Perhaps I should just investigate this further for myself by engaging im conversation with them to see where it leads.

You might want to learn some Ebonics phrases to properly interact with them. Many don't speak traditional English.

http://www.phrasebase.com/archive/ebonics/ebonics-phrases.html

• Like 1

Your right..............I had one of these African American "types" stay in one of my condos for 6 months.............. you can imagine what happened.!!!!

Well on day 2 we took them with us down to Pattaya in our car as they were new in town ( i like to visit Nong Nooch) where they checked into a quite nice hotel, they enjoyed there stay in Pattaya and had a good laugh when they got a photo with a ladyboy who popped her boobs out as I took the photo.

We also went on a few 0ther trips down the river and around Bangkok, we all had a great time. My wife took her to see the Grand Palace when she had some time

When the flooding arrived she sent us an e mail from the U.S asking if we were ok.

So yeah thats my experience of "these types" a great gal.

Sukhumvit area? Could be Nigerian drug dealers testing the waters...

That was my first thought.

Please don't pick on Nigerian. I have many Nigerian friend I met in Nana area. They are all great friends and good people. None try to sell drugto me. Unlike my Thai friends who always want to borrow money off me.

How come I lived in the low-end of Sukhumvit for the best part of half-a-year, walked to restaurants, bars and Villa at least three or four evenings each week and never got a single 'Wazup bro'?' To be honest, I could count the total amount of black faces I encountered on my travels during this spell on both hands and maybe one foot. Admittedly I have hair and no tatts but opine that it may be the OP's aftershave?

Sukhumvit area? Could be Nigerian drug dealers testing the waters...

That was my first thought.

Please don't pick on Nigerian. I have many Nigerian friend I met in Nana area. They are all great friends and good people. None try to sell drugto me. Unlike my Thai friends who always want to borrow money off me.

Dont tell me they have 2 million $ they need to bank and you can help them?

How come I lived in the low-end of Sukhumvit for the best part of half-a-year, walked to restaurants, bars and Villa at least three or four evenings each week and never got a single 'Wazup bro'?' To be honest, I could count the total amount of black faces I encountered on my travels during this spell on both hands and maybe one foot. Admittedly I have hair and no tatts but opine that it may be the OP's aftershave?

Perhaps you are also blind? Sois 3 - 7 are rank with Africans, amongst whom an American of suitable colour could hide unnoticed for ever, until he sprung at you with a cheery "Wazzup, bro?"

Never happened to me either, but again, I don't have tattoos, and still have some remnants of my hair.

I do sometimes get Indians commending my dress sense though with an exclamation of "Nice suit, sir!"

Maybe the OP, having lived most of his life in a sparsely-populated continent, unwittingly makes eye contact with strangers, which they interpret as an invitation to genial conversation

SC

What region of Africa are African-Americans from?

I believe the US slave trade took people from west Africa.

Yes stealing the trade from the locals who were quite happy to do this on their own well before European intervention.

I'm only a Limey/Pom/Brit, so what would I know, but I'd take 'Wassup' as a basically-friendly greeting, and respond in similar vein, perhaps clarifying my own native background ?

Something like 'Spiffing Day, What, Old Chap ?', in my own case ! tongue.png

Well, you get the gist of the idea, anyway ... jap.gif

• Like 1

My guess: white guy with shaved head and a lot of tats, in the US, can be a guy who did time and joined a white power group in prison. (NOTE: I used the word can). They probably wonder if you're one of them.

A friendly return will do. If you ignore them, or sneer, that will send a message otherwise.