Uk State Pension

NoshowJones

[The last thing I will say is that when I go back to the UK I will claiming my state pension, one of the questions is in the last 12 months have you spent any time abroad? So I will see what they are currently asking at the time but the last thing I want is to have my pension withheld when I still have 7 or 8 months here.

On the question !! So the answer would be yes, I have been travelling and been on holiday. Yes / No ?? unsure.png

The question on the form sent me in April 2011 seems to have changed and it will interesting to hear exactly how they now word it over the phone, so the answer to the question over the phone would probably go something like this:

Have you spent time out of the country in the last 12 months?

I have not worked abroad and not contributed to a foreign social security scheme, I am retired now for 5 years so according to you notes on page xxx your question has no bearing on my uk state pension does it why are you asking?

If the questions persist it will interesting to see how they develop, how are they going to tell me, as I dont know ,that my state pension is frozen from next year?

Of course I have been travelling, I now have the time, living in another country, yes I have been exploring the possibility but have yet to make a decision.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it worth all the fuss just to get a small annual increase. If inflation averages 2-3% a year then you would get an extra 2-3 GBP on your pension, enough to buy one beer !!! OK over 10-20 years that would mount up but by that time you will be 80+ years old. You would be lucky to be still alive and even if you are too old to be buying beers (or anything else).

This years increase is about 10%

UK pension doubles approx every 7 years.

This year it is 5.2%

Its annual rise is based on 2.5% or what the CPI Rate is on 30th September each year payable (which evers the greater) the following April

Edited by Tafia

Is it worth all the fuss just to get a small annual increase. If inflation averages 2-3% a year then you would get an extra 2-3 GBP on your pension, enough to buy one beer !!! OK over 10-20 years that would mount up but by that time you will be 80+ years old. You would be lucky to be still alive and even if you are too old to be buying beers (or anything else).

This year it is 5.2%

Its annual rise is based on 2.5% or what the CPI Rate is on 30th September each year payable the following April

Already stated in post 27 !

So still no one admitting to getting pension annual increases after 3 years in Thailand? Seems like we are an honest lot then. It is a nasty rule of the DWP of that we all agree but 2 choices if asked tell the truth or bend the rules.

The exchange rate is also just as important as the severed increases. I work things out at 50 to the £ for ease but in a more detailed analysis I work it out on 45 to give myself a bit of lee way. It is always possible that the rate could go up again.

Inflation is the other factor to consider which then expands into lifestyle, lets be honest its much better here than back in thUK given all the variables above. The only elephant in the room as I see it is the medical/healthcare situation which, like it or not needs to be addressed and often is not.

I would love think I can still get my annual increses, I suspect I will not, enough so it will not change my mind about where I live, I am here for good now hopefully 30-40 years. Note Thai Govt. Thats a lot of VATjap.gif I think we both hope for 40! Then I get a letter from the UK Monarch!!

This year it is 5.2%

Its annual rise is based on 2.5% or what the CPI Rate is on 30th September each year payable the following April

Already stated in post 27 !

As I saw after I posted in response to Chris2004

Please spare a thought for us young uns,who may not even make the new extended pension age,is it 67 at present they want us to graft till,imagine that you work hard pay your way and they want you to work longer,it's one thing moaning about current entitlements,but really what does the future hold,it looks pretty bleak to me.

Depends how young you are for one thing. Chances are that by the time you reach 67 the goalposts will have been moved further ahead again, say 70. I've told my son's they need to think very carefully about how they plan for the future as they are now in their 30's/40's and earning good money. Of course they have wives and kids of their own and almost every penny is swallowed up by just living in the UK these days. I think it's more difficult for young people now than it's ever been. Good luck to you, and plan as well as you can.

Plan well ahead its never to soon. Dont let anyone tell you they cannot afford to, they cannot afford not to if they want to enjoy their retirement years! Get the balance right.

the only way the uk will know what is in your passport, is to look at it, if it is not available, they can not know what is in it.

Of course they do. Every exchange and documentation is stored electronically these days. And on record.

What exchange and documentation are you refering to ? every entry stamp to Thailand is recorded in the uk?

Edited by steve187

No I didn't believe it, nor did anyone tell me.

When I first came to Thailand, after the crash, I got 96 Baht to my GBP, that was clearly a blip and it was never going to maintain that level.

I seem to remember somebody telling me that before the crash the exchange rate was probably in the 30/40's, I do know that on 1st January 1970 the rate was almost the same as it is now 48.87, maybe I should have given Soros a call before I moved.

But did you know that before 1880 the exchange rate was fixed at eight baht per pound, falling to 10 to the pound during the 1880s, I'm glad I didn't move here then.

I do agree with your view about how long I could tolerate being in the UK<

In 1992 the pound was 37 baht. It went crazy in 1997 - it was pretty obvious that it was going down, due to many reasons.

No I didn't believe it, nor did anyone tell me.

When I first came to Thailand, after the crash, I got 96 Baht to my GBP, that was clearly a blip and it was never going to maintain that level.

I seem to remember somebody telling me that before the crash the exchange rate was probably in the 30/40's, I do know that on 1st January 1970 the rate was almost the same as it is now 48.87, maybe I should have given Soros a call before I moved.

But did you know that before 1880 the exchange rate was fixed at eight baht per pound, falling to 10 to the pound during the 1880s, I'm glad I didn't move here then.

I do agree with your view about how long I could tolerate being in the UK<

In 1992 the pound was 37 baht. It went crazy in 1997 - it was pretty obvious that it was going down, due to many reasons.

What go up comes down and what goes down comes up. THere is nothing you can do to influence it. I would br happy for 50+ a bit makes things easier to work out and now that the UK is trying to put its house in order maybe it will move in that direction. Then what about the lot that are running things here what influence do they have on it as seen by the outside world?

So apart from one small group of 70 year olds not many admitting they are beating the system then? Amazingly they have been able to do this for over 5 years, we are sure we talking annual increases to the UK state pension and not private ones to be sure?

Please spare a thought for us young uns,who may not even make the new extended pension age,is it 67 at present they want us to graft till,imagine that you work hard pay your way and they want you to work longer,it's one thing moaning about current entitlements,but really what does the future hold,it looks pretty bleak to me.

Depends how young you are for one thing. Chances are that by the time you reach 67 the goalposts will have been moved further ahead again, say 70. I've told my son's they need to think very carefully about how they plan for the future as they are now in their 30's/40's and earning good money. Of course they have wives and kids of their own and almost every penny is swallowed up by just living in the UK these days. I think it's more difficult for young people now than it's ever been. Good luck to you, and plan as well as you can.

UK pension on a sliding age scale that's fixed if you son is calculate to get a pension at 67 he will get one at 67.

My Thai wife will get hers when she is 66, the age scale is explained on the UK gov web site.

Edited by Kwasaki

quite a few of my social circle,are over 70 and lived here for at least 10 years and i can vouch,they are all get full oap benefits,

So it either costs them money to get the money over to Thailand or they go back to the UK every now and then.

You can't get money or pensions from the UK unless you pay something for it, or your going about it in some way which will still going to cost you.

UK pensions are paid free of charge into your Thai bank account but will be frozen as discussed many times.

Edited by Kwasaki

My understading is that when passports are swiped on exiting UK the info is passed on to DOSS automatically, I got this from a guy who went to Canada for six months to help out his disabled daughter who had given birth, when he got back everything had been cancelled and he had to enlist the support of his MP to get benefits re enstated,

My understading is that when passports are swiped on exiting UK the info is passed on to DOSS automatically, I got this from a guy who went to Canada for six months to help out his disabled daughter who had given birth, when he got back everything had been cancelled and he had to enlist the support of his MP to get benefits re enstated,

No, the UKBA system you describe is a stand alone system and not linked to a central government data base. The system does no more than check your passport, if the IO is concerned they can check the warnings index, but that again is for terrorists and the like.

You will be aware that there is no regular embarkation control at UK ports, so the UKBA would have no idea, or care, when a UK National left the UK. You may sometimes find UK and non UK passports being swiped, that is usually when they are looking for someone of note, and it still doesn't log you out.

Likewise UK nationals are not "logged into the UK", when you passport is checked it does no more than check your eligibility to enter the UK.

I suspect your friend who went to Canada was "caught" some other way.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of this happening in the future though.

Edited by theoldgit

I think it's a real gamble. I think that when/if I reach 67 I may only have a few years left. I wonder what the average age is these days?

I'd say it's easier for those in the UK as they have to pay NI contributions. Working on a Thai salary, with kids to support, the NI contributions are voluntary and a much higher percentage of the average salary.

I still haven't decided whether to pay the missed years back to the UK government or to put it into another scheme.

If I pay back the back years and continue paying every month and die when I'm less than 67, it'll all be a complete waste.

I'd say that the chances of dying before 67 are about evens. I wonder how many years of living after 67 would repay what I'v paid?

If I decided to pay the missed contributions and die before 67, would my wife be able to get the pension?

What OG says

And Canada is part of the pensions agreement, so moving to Canada wouldn't be a problem anyway.

Edited by ludditeman

[And Canada is part of the pensions agreement, so moving to Canada wouldn't be a problem anyway.

I'm sorry to contradict but if somebody receives a UK pension in Canada it's still frozen, you would get the increase in the USA but not Canada, that's another example of just how unfair the whole system is. Canada is signed up to some of the Social Security agreements, but unfortunately not for pension increases.

I visited an old friend in Canada some years ago, who was receiving an UK Pension equivalent to 2/6 a week - he had been retired for 30 years.

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/international/benefits/state-pension/state-pension-arrangements-in-social/#canada

What OG says

And Canada is part of the pensions agreement, so moving to Canada wouldn't be a problem anyway.

I think this is different getting social sercurity is not like getting a retirement pension, different rules.

The tax man will ALWAYS eventually catch up with you...

It may take a while, but they will get there as they concentrate on 'easy targets' that are unable to fight back.

The UK's current financial difficulties are only increasing the determination of the IRS to attack 'wrong-doers' that are not incredibly wealthy and influential.

The world is getting more 'computerised' all the time - ensuring that sooner or later they will catch up with you - and demand a refund...

Depends how young you are for one thing. Chances are that by the time you reach 67 the goalposts will have been moved further ahead again, say 70.

1. I'd say it's easier for those in the UK as they have to pay NI contributions.

2. I still haven't decided whether to pay the missed years back to the UK government or to put it into another scheme.

3. If I pay back the back years and continue paying every month and die when I'm less than 67, it'll all be a complete waste.

4. I'd say that the chances of dying before 67 are about evens. I wonder how many years of living after 67 would repay what I'v paid?

5. If I decided to pay the missed contributions and die before 67, would my wife be able to get the pension?

If you have worked out by your age you will receive a full UK pension at 67 you will but only if you have paid 30years N.I. contributions, less than that is worked out on a percentage basis.

1. yes it is easier if you can get a job.rolleyes.gif

2. Depends on how many years, if you paid back your missed years it maybe better for you and your Thai mrs.

3. No it wouldn't because of 2.

4. Negative attitude because of 2. smile.png

5. In most circumstances yes.

Depends how young you are for one thing. Chances are that by the time you reach 67 the goalposts will have been moved further ahead again, say 70.

1. I'd say it's easier for those in the UK as they have to pay NI contributions.

2. I still haven't decided whether to pay the missed years back to the UK government or to put it into another scheme.

3. If I pay back the back years and continue paying every month and die when I'm less than 67, it'll all be a complete waste.

4. I'd say that the chances of dying before 67 are about evens. I wonder how many years of living after 67 would repay what I'v paid?

5. If I decided to pay the missed contributions and die before 67, would my wife be able to get the pension?

If you have worked out by your age you will receive a full UK pension at 67 you will but only if you have paid 30years N.I. contributions, less than that is worked out on a percentage basis.

2. Depends on how many years, if you paid back your missed years it maybe better for you and your Thai mrs.

Thank you for the replies!

Sorry, I should have said that I only paid 3 years into the system(last year was 1991) so 27 left, even if they allow me to. It used to be 40 years, I think but changed to 30 years. Maybe in 20 years time it will only be 20 years rewuired to pay. So, i think it's a big gamble.

Maybe buying a 10 lottery tickets a month would be a better gamble?. That would mean about 2500 tickets!

Maybe premium bonds?

Sorry, I should have said that I only paid 3 years into the system(last year was 1991) so 27 left, even if they allow me to. It used to be 40 years, I think but changed to 30 years. Maybe in 20 years time it will only be 20 years rewuired to pay. So, i think it's a big gamble.

Maybe buying a 10 lottery tickets a month would be a better gamble?. That would mean about 2500 tickets!

Maybe premium bonds?

Q5: How can I pay my National Insurance contributions?

A5: There are various methods of payment available.

To see which method suits you please read pages 16 to 18 in the

<a href="http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pdfs/nico/ni38.pdf">leaflet NI38 (PDF 1.2MB).

http://www.hmrc.gov....s_general.htm#2

27 years N.I. class 2 contribution earning less than £5000+ something a year, I wouldn't of thought £3,510 was a lot to pay to be able to get a pension.

Edited by Kwasaki

THe increase as been stated this year is 5.2%. The rate of inflation is now falling and is expected to continue for the forseable future, probaly down to under 3 by the year end. But you need also to think of the rate here and have you noticed that the new over stickers on prices that were 20,25.30.35,40,45 etc all went up by 5 or in some cases more which is more than the uk rates. only one small example admitted noticed it in Big C food park yesterday. Fuel has gone up from 32 to 36 in about 3 weeks. When I came back in June last year I could buy a bag of coffee sachets for 79, last time 92 or 101 in Big C. The inflation rate here is rising very fast and with a frozen pension that is bound to have an effect. maaybe eat and drink more at home? We limited in what we can control and do, we just have to get on with it as best we can.

Still no one with 3+ years of annual increases here then?

No one is going to admit to having 3 years+ of annual increases. How can anyone get caught unless they are shopped by someone. You could be living in the Philipines. Your address and your national ins number is not on your passport.

Maybe premium bonds?

27 years N.I. class 2 contribution earning less than £5000+ something a year, I wouldn't of thought £3,510 was a lot to pay to be able to get a pension.

Thanks you Sir, I really appreciate this. I'm actually going to the UK in 2 months and want to start making inquiries and start paying.

Are you saying if I voluntarily pay the next 27 years, I only have to pay £3,510 . That's only £10.83 month! if so, I'm going for it. Thanks again for that link. Hold on I earn more than 5000 a yearhuh.png - I'll check it out.

Thanks you Sir, I really appreciate this. I'm actually going to the UK in 2 months and want to start making inquiries and start paying.

Are you saying if I voluntarily pay the next 27 years, I only have to pay £3,510 . That's only £10.83 month! if so, I'm going for it. Thanks again for that link. Hold on I earn more than 5000 a yearhuh.png - I'll check it out.

That site i have posted will tell you pretty much what you want to know and if you go to England phone them or go and see them and they will work it all out for you, They can't eat you. laugh.png

What OG says

What OG says

IOff the top my head I thought the USA was part of the agreement but Canada was not.

If you have lived in the uk and paid NI 'stamp ' for three years, you can continue to pay NI contributions at class 2 rates which for 2012/2013 is £2.65 per week. normal voluntry stamps class 3 will be £13.25.

I am not sure if having any income from the uk will change those figures.

Topping up your NI contributions, will ensure you receive a bigger state pension when you reach state retirement age, whatever that will be. But in addition it will, if you are married, ensure tht after your death, your widow will receive bereavement benefits, and be eligible fior a state pension based on the number of contributions made by you.

Bereavement benefits can be a minimum of 2000GBP, could be an allowance of 30GBP + for up to 1 year, if your widow was aged 45+ at the time of your death, and for those who have children (you need not be the father if they are your wifes/widows), your widow could receive the princely sum of 20,000bt+ a month whilst one of the children goes to school and is under 20.

If you have lived in the uk and paid NI 'stamp ' for three years, you can continue to pay NI contributions at class 2 rates which for 2012/2013 is £2.65 per week. normal voluntry stamps class 3 will be £13.25.

I am not sure if having any income from the uk will change those figures.

I thought it was necessary to prove to the authorities that you were self employed to be able to pay the Class 2 stamp. I certainly had to some 7/8 years ago!

It seems amazing that the government depts of the UK are not linked up. If they are not know they sure will be before long, what is the point of having lots of systems that dont talk to each other and no matter what we think the UK is a pretty advanced country, just think what GCHQ can do and its part of the government. The easy answers are say that someone shopped you. I think big brother is getting bigger all the time. more sophisticated all the time, they may not be one step ahead but they are not far behind and with more and more of us wanting to spend our times in sunnier climes it is an upgrade that could easily pay for itself very quickly. I will recording my conversation when I claim my pension so that there can be no doubt about the questions are and what answers are given. It wont change my mind about spending the majority of time here even if I have to give up the april 2013 increase maybe it will be £3 a week. Would you give up £150 a year for this lifestyle? The following year it might another £150 a year and so on, not fair but it wont change my mind, not many others by the look of it.

Topping up your NI contributions, will ensure you receive a bigger state pension when you reach state retirement age, whatever that will be. But in addition it will, if you are married, ensure tht after your death, your widow will receive bereavement benefits, and be eligible fior a state pension based on the number of contributions made by you.

Bereavement benefits can be a minimum of 2000GBP, could be an allowance of 30GBP + for up to 1 year, if your widow was aged 45+ at the time of your death, and for those who have children (you need not be the father if they are your wifes/widows), your widow could receive the princely sum of 20,000bt+ a month whilst one of the children goes to school and is under 20.

The form you need is called BR1 I believe, it requires specific documents to be sent with the application, so my advice is to get the form already filled in and make sure the lady sends it DHL or similar there is a time limit on applications. Its well worth it, someone will get something back on your behalf!