New Topic! My Partners Intelligence Deciphered Through The Initial Language Barrier.....

Chittychangchang

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A fresh topic...i hope!

However you met in Thailand.

Do you feel the language barrier if you had one or cultral differences had an impact on deciphering the intelligence of your Thai partner.

Has your partner turned out to suprise you?

Feel free to expand my question.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It works in the opposite too. Many Thai partners decipher the intelligence of their non-Thai partner very quickly...though it sometimes takes a further year or two for the non-Thai partner to realise this.

Intuitiveness tends to be naturally connected in some groups and not others.

Edited by zzaa09
  • Like 1

Made the mistake once of having a stupid Thai girl that i married. I was only 25 and inexperienced. She said she had a business, in my home country that meant intelligence and daring. Here it meant she had a guy paying it for her while she was his mia noi.

Sufficed to say the marriage ended in disaster, and so did her next two marriages.

So i learned from that, i only like girls that are at least a bit smart. Cute face and body is nice for sex but with intelligence you live after the fun part is boring.

• Like 1

Off topic a little. We could do with a complimentary poll running alongside this one asking how intelligent / thick our Thai partners or friends thinks we are wink.png

Best not. The results might prove embarrassing.

• Like 1

Made the mistake once of having a stupid Thai girl that i married. I was only 25 and inexperienced. She said she had a business, in my home country that meant intelligence and daring. Here it meant she had a guy paying it for her while she was his mia noi.

Sufficed to say the marriage ended in disaster, and so did her next two marriages.

So i learned from that, i only like girls that are at least a bit smart. Cute face and body is nice for sex but with intelligence you live after the fun part is boring.

One is prompted to ask just which one of you was the stupid one?

One is prompted to ask just which one of you was the stupid one?

I dont deny being stupid at the time. I was a lot younger and had no Thailand experience. Just did not understand the differences in how it worked. So sure i was stupid about Thailand at that point.

If we are talking measured intelligence by tests there is of course no comparison. Though those test don't tell us much about street smarts. I did not have any at that time concerning Thailand.

I've met Thais of all kinds of stations in life, intelligences and educations. However, it doesn't seem that personal life is exceptionally easier for anyone at either end of the scale. The brightest Thai I've dated here already has twice as many degrees as I do at a younger age, half of which are from places like Cambridge. He still struggles with insecurity over intimacy, personal appearance, and social reputation of a gay man just like about every other gay person I know.

I prefer a broad conception of 'intelligence' which has served me well as a teacher. Intelligent thinking and behaviour manifest in a very wide variety of ways. Some persons in class groups may not be the handiest with the calculator or the equations, but they can socially focus the group or work with their hands in ways that get their team effort ahead. Verbal skill is only a very small part of the way in which one can observe thoughtfulness (not to mention mindfulness) in evidence. So perhaps I am less reliant on how people only verbally express themselves to evaluate their abilities.

Most of the time I think people I meet here are pretty much like people I meet anywhere else, unless I'm meeting them through selection processes (like a school entrance exam which focuses on certain abilities). Even then they remind me of the same types of people that I would meet through the same types of selections elsewhere.

I've only socially met one or two people that I would ultimately consider truly mentally challenged (mildly), and it did show up in their language- even to the point where I could notice strange issues at my weak level of Thai (issues that were about the content, not the ability to produce).

"Intelligence" or "being well educated" are two different things. May GF may not be so well educated...but she is dam clever!

So you're automatically equating education with intelligence?

Interesting.

He is doing exactly the opposite. the part where he says they are "two different things" should have been your first clue.

On a related note, when I was first here and dating mainly Thais who spoke much more English than I spoke Thai, there would sometimes be a culture shock for them when I tried to show them about my work. And even now when I show them what I do, there is a bit of a double-take. I take it as a compliment that I come across socially to Thais as someone who isn't necessarily some kind of academic nerd (something that no doubt is obvious to many of those who read me here!).

i think the thais are intelligent but I don't see many reading books and going by their cinema they do not appear to be intellectual. But that is probably just the culture. The language does not add itself to intellect either but if you took a thai baby and raised it in the west I'm sure it would be the same as their peers. Although perhaps the harsh climate of northern Europe - or Northern Asia, produced a form of selective breeding making the people more inventive etc.

when I had friends from the west visiting, one time a thai girl said she thought farangs must be very clever, just because we talked non stop, and about nothing that she could pick up on.

Edited by bangkaew

"Intelligence" or "being well educated" are two different things. May GF may not be so well educated...but she is dam clever!

So you're automatically equating education with intelligence?

Interesting.

...ahm...no, i don't....

no point having a really smart wife is there? when I say smart I mean book smart, well read etc.

I get my brain fried daily at work back here in the U.K, when I get home I am not interested in talking quantam physics or discussing about the worlds problems and how they can be solved.

She was intelligent enough to marry me and stick around though...so I got to give her some credit clap2.gif

some say its a blessing to have less than average intelligence. you dont think that much, so you worry less. less stress means a longer and happier life. i have a few friends who are a spanner short of a tool box but they are always happy and definitely embrace the mai pen rai life style both in Thailand and at home.

How do you judge Intelligence, By looks or by knowledge, Look at Steven Hawkins, he is English by the way not American.modern technology caught up and freed him from a silent hell. Just because people cannot speak your language and cannot communicate with you does not make them thick, Also people suffer from Dyslexia me for one does that make me thick, maybe i htink

But how do we know Steven Hawkins is intelligent, very few people can understand what the h*ll is on about and I am referring to his theories of course....Him and his gang of collegues could all be talking absolute <deleted> and we could be in a real situation of bullsh*t baffles brain's....the man in the street will never know.....

so a person could deemed intelligent by the ability to talk absolute BS as well...biggrin.png

With her standing over my shoulder I dare write this post hit-the-fan.gif I swear my wife is the most sincere intelligent woman I have yet to meet in Thailand. Though there is a wee small issue. The small connection between her brain and her everything else seems to have never been connected wai.gif