Actual Health Insurance Prices In Chiang Mai

flying

hmmm, 500.000b max per year will hardly cover anything serious , even in Thailand, I would guess. OR??

That's right. A friend in BKK was removed from an airplane before takeoff from Suvarnabhumi. They thought he was having a heart attack and transported him by ambulance to a hospital where he spent 2 days/nights undergoing tests - maybe a little time in the CCU, I forget now. His tab at the end of 2 days - appx. 150,000 THB. No surgery or anything, only testing and cardiac monitoring. They debited his credit card 75,000 THB before he even got in the E.R.

Also I am sure someone posted Chiang Mai Insurance & an agent named Gary but I cant seem to find the post now?

Gary ran the AAInsure office at Ruamchok Meechai but then joined another company. Do a forum search on AAInsure to find that thread. Someone posted a link to the web site of the company he joined (also in Chiang Mai) but it wasn't a particularly informative site from memory.

The reason why you don't see so many prices quoted is that there are so very many variables that need to be considered when comparing insurers. Hence comparing just on (say) age of insured + cost of premium + max. level of cover, can be wildly misleading. Look at the variables already mentioned by people in this thread ... excess/deductible, are you covered outside Thailand or not? if yes, where? for how long? do you have choice of doctor/hospital? etc

... and there are many more variables .. for e.g. what medical conditions are covered, how those conditions are defined, how pre-existing conditions are considered, waiting periods before coverage is in place, does it include repatriation to your country of origin if things are really bad? etc. For some people some of these variables are insignificant, but for others very important indeed

It's only after you have ticked all the various boxes and considered each factor from your own perspective that you can meaningfully compare one policy with another. I really wish it was simpler than that, but alas no.

Edited by chiangmaibruce
  • Like 1

IMG is VERY expensive! I have BUPA and pay about $2300 a year at age 64. One skin cancer claim in 3 years and they covered all of it at Bumrungrad Hosp in BKK. I always go to BUMrungrad for anything serious. You can look at any doctors credentials on their website and then select that doc for your care.

For basic health insurance, Siam Bank has a promotional offer at the moment. I just picked up the brochure today and it appears worth looking into. Biggest drawback is no coverage after 60. AIA might be the course for the long term however.

Edit for prices.... 46-60 years old: 28,500 Platinum, and 14,000 Silver program.

Edited by T_Dog

IMG is VERY expensive! I have BUPA and pay about $2300 a year at age 64. One skin cancer claim in 3 years and they covered all of it at Bumrungrad Hosp in BKK. I always go to BUMrungrad for anything serious. You can look at any doctors credentials on their website and then select that doc for your care.

I also pay an additional $120 a year for full covereage when I travel!

I have no idea what Bumrungrad's website has to do with the cost of insurance.

You need to define "full coverage". If you were to travel to the US for three months and at the end of that stay need cancer surgery, would Bupa's $120 rider cover that?

As a 55-59 year old, I'm paying substantially less than your premium of $2300. My annual and lifetime max are much higher than Bupa and in the scenario above, yes, I would have full coverage.