Is This 'Real" Monk?

sunnyhor

First I don't live in Thailand, I am still a Buddhist and visit Thai's temple when ever I visit Thailand. Donations, Charities are part of them. And I don't really know so much about Monks in Thailand as you see my earlier comment, I presumed Monks are one of the most " Holy ".

So many forumers evidence they smoke, the have bf/gf, they drink Whiskey and gamble. This isn't "real" Monk. Some also stated anyone can be a Monk to escape jail term bla bla bla............... I guess I do not know anything about Thai Monks.

Good deeds and charity will be continue but in future it will not to Monks because I do not know who is "Good " and who is " no good " . The next time I will switch all this to Orphange ( which I just did months ago ) , the aged home, the Blind etc!!!!

When people can input those critics they know, there sure to be a reason. They will not just simply say a Monk drink Whiskey for nothing, they know "someone" who did this, which is very very wrong!!!

After seeing so many comments, I suddenly feel that I am very ignorant. So this is what you call Monk in Thailand. I'm lost of words, and in future, I will skip all those good deeds, charity etc . I did all this regularly whenever I visit Thailand....................So sad to hear the truth!

so you are going to give up your beliefs, cease doing good deeds and turn your back on charity based on the strength of a series of photos of unknown provenance and the notion that not all monks are entirely devout? What does that say about your own sincerity or intelligence?

sounds like you too are a poseur little different from our renegade novice

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was in Nakhon Sawan being a Buddhist Nun in a monastery for a few days (I was paying my respects) I was quite surprised at the monks that were at the Monastery. Most of them smoked, had playstations, laptops, music hifi's, ate out at restaurants and spent most of the day chilling amongst each other having a laugh. One of them even had a bottle of Sangsom in his room. Not really strict at all.

Also I know someone who was a monk for 12 years and then went on to be a hitman and then spent 7 years in jail for murder... He's still a very religious guy after spending time in jail though... But it does make you wonder.

I guess there are very committed Monks and those who like the idea of it and feel better in themselves for doing it.

After seeing so many comments, I suddenly feel that I am very ignorant. So this is what you call Monk in Thailand. I'm lost of words, and in future, I will skip all those good deeds, charity etc . I did all this regularly whenever I visit Thailand....................So sad to hear the truth!

so you are going to give up your beliefs, cease doing good deeds and turn your back on charity based on the strength of a series of photos of unknown provenance and the notion that not all monks are entirely devout? What does that say about your own sincerity or intelligence?

sounds like you too are a poseur little different from our renegade novice

I agree. He has to live here a while to see how Buddhism is practiced before coming to any judgment.

Only then can he make up his own mind.

Is this first hand knowledge or are you passing along rumors? Just a question as you mention you were here as a nun.

And only for a few days....[??]

Who here referes to a wat as a monastery?

First hand knowledge as I saw them. The Monks live in living quarters by the Wat but the Nuns live in quarters much further away from the Temple and as my boyfriend has informed me, it's called a Monastery. Maybe his translation from Thai to English isn't accurate but that's what he called it anyway.

I went to visit a Monk in Nakhon Sawan and then I stayed in the Monastery for a few days but I had to stay with the Nun's as men and women are separate so I had to conform and abide by Buddhist Nun rules. The monks weren't strict at all but most of the Nun's were.

I only stayed there for 3 days.

388183_10150436555434682_510374681_8822850_644543644_n.jpg

Edited by phuturatica

they certaily dont care where there money comes from they are down walking street in Pattaya in there horred early morning begginf or money off the prostitutes, same in soi 7 and 8. quite a few girls nor just turn their backs on them. talk about living off the earnings of imoral income. no time or respect for them at all, many have just packed up and left wifes and families to fend for themselves, as lying around in a Wat is easier than working at feeding ones family.

There was a kiddy fiddling monk in Chiang Rai who went to America before anyone had the chance to investigate and disrobe him. Word has it that he is doing rather well for himself there as a pillar of the buddhist community on the west coast (or something like that). I queried as to why the buddhist clergy never caught up with him as there are large number of kids who bear testimony to his abuse, but no one could give me an answer. Maybe the parents are too poor / ignorant / brow beaten to take it up with the clergy.

There's monks and then there's a whole load of other people who spend most of their time in temples pretending to be monks. After that you've got folk who can see it and folk who can't, folk who go along with it and folk who don't.

What if the photo is a joke and the guy is holding a squirt gun? All this spilled cyber-ink over nothing.?

C'mon give the poor monk the benefit of the doubt! wink.png

Yes. Poor gangsta monks.cool.png

First instinct should suggest it's a ruse.

Leg-pulling, Thai style.wai.gif

What if the photo is a joke and the guy is holding a squirt gun? All this spilled cyber-ink over nothing.?

From a social standpoint joking about monks isn't something that's done in this way at least. Anything that tampers with their religious or deeply held cultural aspects tend to be no go areas especially if mixed with black humor about vice.

From a social standpoint joking about monks isn't something that's done in this way at least. Anything that tampers with their religious or deeply held cultural aspects tend to be no go areas especially if mixed with black humor about vice.

Is it OK to joke about neds who dress up as monks? Monk imposters?

If not, which other criminals should we not joke about?

SC

EDIT: I went to a party at 25 Cromwell Street. "Fred", I said, "do you have any beer?"

"There's boddies in the kitchen and tennents under the stair" (possibly mis-spelt)

Edited by StreetCowboy

Is it OK to joke about neds who dress up as monks? Monk imposters?

If not, which other criminals should we not joke about?

SC

EDIT: I went to a party at 25 Cromwell Street. "Fred", I said, "do you have any beer?"

"There's boddies in the kitchen and tennents under the stair" (possibly mis-spelt)

I'm not talking about expats but what Thais usually think about this matter. I couldn't give a dam_n about organized religion or PC attitudes. The poster I was replying to said that it might be Thais pulling a practical joke concerning monks. I said that was highly unlikely because Thais are very uptight about their culture/religion.

Edited by wintermute

You're behind the times...Thailand is changing.

imagesbeauty-20pagent-20winner.jpg

• Like 1

LOL....yes, Thailand is changing!!!!!!!!!! Or wearing yellow robes is just an occupation? An uniform? So sad .........

You're behind the times...Thailand is changing.

imagesbeauty-20pagent-20winner.jpg