Mazda Bt-50 Launched

I'm curious why anyone would buy such an ugly car as this when the Ranger is the same and much better looking?

Mazda really dropped the ball on the styling on this. I just can't understand how they signed off on it looking like that, it's really one of the oddest looking pickups out there, only narrowly beaten by the Ssangyong.....

they buy it because they do not want a box which all the other pickups are. the ranger has to have big writing on the back to let people know it is not a toyota or a isuzu. the lay out inside is a lot better than the ranger. i for one prefer the looks of the bt-50 than the other pickups . why would i want to buy a pickup that looks like all the other pickups on the market

i guess this is the reason why we like the trucks we do. At first glance I didnt care for the front end of the zoom zoom bt50. But i pass one parked on my way to work everyday and it's not bad. I have a new izuzu v cross 4x4 in our parking lot at home, looks nice too. Vigos all look the same to me. Yeah a good truck no doubt but I cant turn a corner without seeing one.

I really like the Ranger look, and i like the Chilli orange although the white / black versions are nice too. I want the Chilli Orange, 3.2 wildtrak but I dont know if I can wait until end 2013 to get it. It's like the girls outside the bars, all cute and cuddly but go inside and it's another bunch of 2008 Vigos...

Slightly off topic but regarding the Triton, since I have been in truck shopping mode for the past couple of months I cant help but notice how many newer looking one's have a dent in them. Either Triton drivers are horrible or the sheet metal dents when you look at it. Seriously, have a look at the next 2 Tritons you see on the road, guarantee you that 1 will have a dent in it.

Forgot to add, hence the edit, I don't mind the Navara either.

Edited by bkkjames

• Replies 819
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious why anyone would buy such an ugly car as this when the Ranger is the same and much better looking?

Mazda really dropped the ball on the styling on this. I just can't understand how they signed off on it looking like that, it's really one of the oddest looking pickups out there, only narrowly beaten by the Ssangyong.....

Basically i can ask you one question . Why did you take such a odd looking partner ( wife/man whatever ) ??? There is no such thing as universal taste . You like it or not , and that is the only thing which matters . I did not like the way it looked on the internet and on the 1st pictures but friends wanted me to go look since they knew i was in search of a vehicle . In the showroom i was struck by the looks of it , especially the interior . but i felt it hard to admid it . After going to all the brochures i had too admid that all the other looked outdated while the BT50 looked fresh and new . I had no doubts no more , i just liked it , wheather you like it or not , it just doesn't matter to me , as it is my ride now . If you do not like it , you look at the others , and buy one of them .

Impressions after 2500 km on the clock .

Fuel consumption is still about 9km/100 km mixed use . Not bad for a 3.2/ 200 hp engine .

The 200hp can not be felt but it is certainly noticeble when putting it flat out at 2000 rpm . In whatever gear you are it will go . You can actually get away in 3th gear without problems , only the engine is humming more .

The car is quiet , you can drive easily too fast without noticing it . Perfect for the longer distance run on the highway .

The 4 wheel drive works awsome . I needed it on various occasions and at the flick of a switch the 4 wheels moved in and got me out .

Also , it has something like anti slip thing which is handy for putting your foot down flat . It will not spin the wheels but actually let's you move forward as fast as it can . Handy on loose soils and when the street is wet and you pull away a bit faster then intented , 555 .

Aircon works good , and as intended . It does its job but it is not really silent .

At first I ordered the ranger because, well, it is a pretty dam_n good looking truck. But eventually cancelled because I could not deal with the horrible Ford service...thinking to myself, 'this is how they treat me and they haven't even gotten my money yet'. Automobiles being a product which you know will need maintenance service in the future, one has to also consider service and the company they are buying into and so I didn't feel that I could put up with Ford.

When I saw the pictures of the BT-50 I was as puzzled as most and was also thinking, this is the ugliest truck EVER! what. the. F. It's a shame because the Ranger seems awesome and so too should the BT-50 but good grief, it's ugly.

Went to go look at the Isuzu. nah.

So I ran into the BT-50 when they had it on display in the mall. My first reaction...hm...the headlights and facia isn't bad at all. Went to sit inside...wow...really nice interior! Taillights...didn't like em. Few weeks later, decided to go to the dealer and take a drive. Second time seeing the car...the hood lines and front profile of the truck is looking really good up close in person. Taillights...still didn't like em. So decided to order the truck because I liked the performance and the options. Mazda...Great service! 5-star all the way, good communication, everything as promised. got the truck in 2 months, got the blacks plates 5 weeks after that. So IMO...the truck grows on you but looks like crap in pictures. Taillights...I actually like em now.

Now that I'm driving it, I've gotten several compliments and a lot of looks (don't know if they are good or bad looks). But who cares, I really like the truck.

Edited by mr3cho

I ordered the Ford 1st, and after 6 months was told various lies and promised in 1 month. Next week letter from ford 6 MORE MONTHS.

So I ordered the Mazda. The promise is 3 months, hope they keep it.

I think the ford is a better looking truck, but who the fark cares when being lied to?

Mazda are a much more professional and friendly outfit than ford.

I might of course be unlucky with ford, but I am basing my opinions on experiences so far.

Remember when driving you are not looking at the vehicle you are looking at the road (well most people do I think).

(if the ford arrives 1st I might buy it or offer it up here to who ever wants it).

Edited by kiwiinasia
  • Like 1

I ordered the Ford 1st, and after 6 months was told various lies and promised in 1 month. Next week letter from ford 6 MORE MONTHS.

So I ordered the Mazda. The promise is 3 months, hope they keep it.

I think the ford is a better looking truck, but who the fark cares when being lied to?

Mazda are a much more professional and friendly outfit than ford.

I might of course be unlucky with ford, but I am basing my opinions on experiences so far.

Remember when driving you are not looking at the vehicle you are looking at the road (well most people do I think).

(if the ford arrives 1st I might buy it or offer it up here to who ever wants it).

Hey mate, if you dont want the Ford, please let me know ;)

So I ordered the BT-50 on the 12th of July, and now the 24th I get a call in the a.m. saying "ITS HERE".

So now my addons are being added on.

Meanwhile at Ford Motors Thailand......

Which model? I ordered mine the end of February and a letter from Mazda came yesterday but it is in Thai so I will have to wait a to get it translated. This week I have seen four different 4dr 4x4 BT-50 Pro in my area with either no plates or red plates. Just wish one of them would have been mine.

Edited by gosompoi

So I ordered the BT-50 on the 12th of July, and now the 24th I get a call in the a.m. saying "ITS HERE".

Which model? I ordered mine the end of February and a letter from Mazda came yesterday but it is in Thai so I will have to wait a to get it translated. This week I have seen four different 4dr 4x4 BT-50 Pro in my area with either no plates or red plates. Just wish one of them would have been mine.

BT-50 4x2door AT, and I said I would take any colour. Got grey but oh well at least I am getting it.

4x4 must be harder to get eh?

I hope no one gassumps me.

Talk to different dealers , and tell them you really want it . I got a 4x4 , while i was waiting for a 4x2 .

Talk to different dealers , and tell them you really want it . I got a 4x4 , while i was waiting for a 4x2 .

Yes talk to several dealers. You are on a waiting list with your dealer not with the Mazda factory.

BT-50 4x2door AT, and I said I would take any colour. Got grey but oh well at least I am getting it.

did you order a 4x2 wildtrak or 4x4 (he asks worryingly) ;)

This week I received a letter from Mazda Corp. I had it translated yesterday, it said the 3.2 4dr AT 4x4 BT-50 I order end of February was previously schedule for delivery on the new year of 2013. If I changed my order to a 2.2 model of the BT-50 pro they could fill the order in less than 30 days. But otherwise the delivery date of my 4x4 BT-50 pro now is scheduled 2 1/2 months. I will wait 2 1/2 months, much better than the new year!

did you order a 4x2 wildtrak or 4x4 (he asks worryingly) wink.png

4x2.

Anybody know where to get or download the English owners manual?

I received an English manual with the car. Your dealer should be able to get you one without any problem.

They said no have. Never mind I got the ranger e version

I received an English manual with the car. Your dealer should be able to get you one without any problem.

I have got the pdf for the Thai version of the BT-50, got it on Thursday from the dealer 3 days after getting the car.

If you want it I'll upload it somewhere (any ideas?) and post a link here if anyone wants it.

p.s. The car is great, but my iPod keeps getting i/o errors on different songs which I don't get when I use it stand alone...

I have got the pdf for the Thai version of the BT-50, got it on Thursday from the dealer 3 days after getting the car.

If you want it I'll upload it somewhere (any ideas?) and post a link here if anyone wants it.

p.s. The car is great, but my iPod keeps getting i/o errors on different songs which I don't get when I use it stand alone...

just attach it to a post. I suggest you call Mazda Speedline and tell them you want the English version of the owner's manual. You can't tell me there isn't an English version. I know of farang who have ordered and received the English manual from their dealers. What the trucks in Australia come with the Thai version of the owner's manual too?

Edited by gosompoi

I last week received a letter from Mazda offering 20,000 baht in services if I changed my order from 3.2 4x4 to 2.2 model BT-50 pro. They offered 100,000 km of oil changes and inspections value of 18,400 plus a 1600 baht front bug guard. Friday my dealer called and notified me my order for a 3.2 4x4 BT-50 pro has moved from Jan 2013 to August 2012. I am not going to change to the 2.2 because I want the 4x4 model. Just hope it really comes soon!

Edited by gosompoi

Well it won't attach in chrome and...

And now trying IE... and then I give up.

and it doesn't load i/o error using all versions I could... sorry! (its only 13 meg!)

I took delivery of my BT 50 last week and the dealer is not sure when he can get an English manual so I would be really grateful if you can post a link to one.

Well it won't attach in chrome and...

And now trying IE... and then I give up.

and it doesn't load i/o error using all versions I could... sorry! (its only 13 meg!)

I took delivery of my BT 50 last week and the dealer is not sure when he can get an English manual so I would be really grateful if you can post a link to one.

Call Mazda headquarters. I received my English manual with the truck, so it is available. Had to do the same with Nissan some time ago, the dealer could not deliver, but after a phonecall from me to HQ it was suddenly here 2 days later.

Edited by stevenl

Hi Guys,

Stumble upon this website that shared so much info on the new BT50. I'm from Malaysia and currently placed my booking for this smiley truck. We share the same pain :P and have the same situation over here, whereby ford 2.2 waiting time is approx 3-4 months, whereas Wildtrax 3.2 only available end of next year. Initially i have placed my order on the wildtrax 4 months ago, knowing that the waiting time is tremendous long and i gave up. Bt50 has just only arrived in our country a week ago, we are fairly slower compare to thailand. I have a few questions here.

1. Why is everyone here not speaking thais ? :P unlike the bt 50 Pro club. I have tried to register and account over there but google translation can seems to understand the security question. :(

2. I have the same exact feeling like the forumers have mentioned here. Initially i hate the BT50 when it's on the internet and brochure. OMFG where comes this ugly truck. But my perception changed after looking at the real thing, In fact i can't get my eyes off from the demo car in the showroom. It looks awesome and simple irresistible. I am scheduled to obtain the car in no more than a month time as promised by the sales agent.

Hope to get some inputs from everyone here and good day everyone from Malaysia :)

Hi Guys,

Stumble upon this website that shared so much info on the new BT50. I'm from Malaysia and currently placed my booking for this smiley truck. We share the same pain tongue.png and have the same situation over here, whereby ford 2.2 waiting time is approx 3-4 months, whereas Wildtrax 3.2 only available end of next year. Initially i have placed my order on the wildtrax 4 months ago, knowing that the waiting time is tremendous long and i gave up. Bt50 has just only arrived in our country a week ago, we are fairly slower compare to thailand. I have a few questions here.

1. Why is everyone here not speaking thais ? tongue.png unlike the bt 50 Pro club. I have tried to register and account over there but google translation can seems to understand the security question. sad.png

2. I have the same exact feeling like the forumers have mentioned here. Initially i hate the BT50 when it's on the internet and brochure. OMFG where comes this ugly truck. But my perception changed after looking at the real thing, In fact i can't get my eyes off from the demo car in the showroom. It looks awesome and simple irresistible. I am scheduled to obtain the car in no more than a month time as promised by the sales agent.

Hope to get some inputs from everyone here and good day everyone from Malaysia smile.png

You are welcome smile.png .

1 We are not speaeking Thai because this is a website for people visiting /living or having interest in Thailand . There are probably a few Thai on the website but most are people from all over the world . I tried many times also to register the security question for the BT50 club but no luck either . I do look many times though as it has a wealth of info and pictures .

2 Yes , it does look quite bad on the initial pictures , not to say ugly , but it really shines in real life . So it is not a photogenic car , but who cares ...tongue.png .

On the road the Ranger disappears into traffic just like any other vigo.

The BT-50 stands out and even though I think its a bit "HAPPY" I am very happy to have one after a long 2 week wait compared to 1 year for a Ford.

A dolphins nose is not that ugly after all.

I am 60k better off too..........