Don Muang Airport - What'S The Status After The Floods?

CaptainSplod

I just received a question from a family member about Don Muang Airport. As most know, the place was flooded for a relatively long time and there have been countless photos of swamped buildings, runways, planes and everything.

Seeing as the floods, I guess, have completely receded from the airport grounds - I wonder what is happening with all the waterlogged planes, runway electronics and whatever else was ruined. Anybody know?

The last I read (which was well before the waters were gone again) was that the Military guys reckoned that to get the airport functional again was going to cost an astronomical amount of baht - and there were plenty of discussions as to whether it was worth repairing some things and maybe better to buy new. Maybe the discussions aren't yet finalised....but it seems that any real news about DM has quietly disappeared into the background.

However, I may certainly have missed out on some news along the way...

Still, I'm at the same time left wondering how it is that regular updates of the airport status don't seem to exist - or am I looking in the wrong places?

What work (if any) is scheduled to be done - and how are the once-wet metal "birds" getting along ?

Is the airport scheduled to re-open at some time - if so, when?