Even Worse Flood Crisis This Year Unless Thai Govt Is Decisive: Water Experts

webfact

FLOOD

Even worse flood crisis this year unless govt is decisive

THE NATION

30174521-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Water experts yesterday urged the government to be decisive about flood-prevention measures in order to prevent a repeat of last year's severe flooding, as the La Nina phenomenon is expected to bring early rains and more storms this year.

They expressed concern that a lack of clear decisions from the government would leave the flood-prevention efforts in disarray.

Seree Supharatid, director of Rangsit University's Centre on Climate Change and Disaster, warned that due to the La Nina climatic phenomenon, early rainfalls were expected between March and May, which would force dams to release water from their reservoirs. He said major dams such as Bhumibol and Sirikit were holding water at 90 per cent of their capacity.

Although there would be fewer rains between September and November, storms were likely towards the latter part of the year, given the statistics over the past five decades. "There will also be many storms this year," Seree said.

"If this year's water volume is as much as last year's, I believe floods will be inevitable. We cannot implement flood-prevention measures in the short term. The negotiation over floodways has hit snags," he said, referring to opposition to a plan to designate certain farming areas as floodways.

Pramote Maiklad, former director-general of the Royal Irrigation Department, said yesterday there had been no clear guidelines on how to deal with future flooding in Bangkok and the surrounding provinces, and the government had yet to come up with a water resources management proposal.

He called on the government to follow His Majesty the King's suggestions, made as early as 1980, about designating floodways and green belts to prevent flooding in the capital and its surrounding provinces. He added that the royal advice had been largely ignored by previous administrations.

Pramote said floodways - or even water tunnels - were needed as a sustainable measure to prevent severe flooding in the lower parts of the Chao Phraya River basin.

Seree and Pramote were speaking at a panel discussion on "Mega-projects against Floods: Are they well thought, rightly thought, and carefully thought?", at Chulalongkorn University. The event was organised by the university's Asia Studies Institute and King Prajadhipok's Institute, an independent academic organisation under the Parliament.

Both are members of the government's Strategic Committee for Water Resources Management, which was set up late last year following the floods in many Central plains provinces, including Bangkok.

Seree, who is also director of the Sirindhorn International Environmental Park's Energy and Environment Centre, noted that out of the country's 77 provinces, only four announced their city plans. "Without the city plans being enforced, there are problems" in preventing floods, he said.

Borwornsak Uwanno, secretary-general of King Prajadhipok's Institute, said at yesterday's seminar that without good preparation and management plans, this year's flood problems would be worse than last year's.

Meanwhile, in a petition filed with the Central Administrative Court yesterday, the Stop Global Warming Association (SGWA) demanded that the government award the same amount in compensation to those affected by floods as it will be giving to victims of political unrest.

"The government should not resort to preferential treatment," SGWA president Srisuwan Janya said.

According to the Cabinet's resolution on January 10, the family of every person killed during political unrest in recent years shall be entitled to about Bt7.75 million in compensation. Critics have slammed the resolution, suggesting that the government is favouring its red-shirt supporters.

"If the government compensates flood victims in the same manner, it will win even more love from the people," Srisuwan said yesterday, adding that the government should be fair to those affected by its own mismanagement of the flood crisis.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-01-26

Even worse flood crisis this year

Not to worry. The government has earmarked Hundreds of Billions of Baht to solve the flooding situation, which I'm sure will prevent a replay of the 817 being killed by the government's ineptitude and abysmal performance last year.

I'm confident they've learned their lesson and when coupled with the expertise of the Science Minister, the government will act decisively to avoid any future calamity.

Edited by Buchholz

Meanwhile, in a petition filed with the Central Administrative Court yesterday, the Stop Global Warming Association (SGWA) demanded that the government award the same amount in compensation to those affected by floods as it will be giving to victims of political unrest.

Seems quite fair... especially in light of the flood victims weren't even doing anything criminal.

For that reason, by rights, they should receive more and I think it's a very magnanimous gesture on their part to request only an equal amount.

Not to worry. The government has earmarked Hundreds of Billions of Baht to solve the flooding situation, which I'm sure will prevent a replay of the 817 being killed by the government's ineptitude and abysmal performance last year.

I'm confident they've learned their lesson and when coupled with the expertise of the Science Minister, the government will act decisively to avoid any future calamity.

Perhaps they may try and release more water in the early months of the year, an inexpensive trick missed by the previous government it would appear

• Like 1

Seems quite fair... especially in light of the flood victims weren't even doing anything criminal.

For that reason, by rights, they should receive more and I think it's a very magnanimous gesture on their part to request only an equal amount.

A rather expensive legacy picked up from a harsh lesson, in the result of ineffective water and crowd control......

Perhaps they may try and release more water in the early months of the year, an inexpensive trick missed by the previous government it would appear

Or perhaps the Science Minister will get the 75,000 boats he wanted to push the water out of the river as clearly the 1,000 boats were just an inadequate number.

A rather expensive legacy picked up from a harsh lesson, in the result of ineffective water and crowd control......

Which continues today with the exoneration of criminal activity that would indicate no lessons learned.

Still, I worry that after the thousands in the South are similarly compensated and the hundreds of the flood victims are also compensated with the same 7.5 Million Baht the Red Shirts are getting, that not much will be left in Treasury.

Or perhaps the Science Minister will get the 75,000 boats he wanted to push the water out of the river as clearly the 1,000 boats were just an inadequate number.

Better to take the unprecedented pro active approach of trying to avoid the issue in the first place.......hopefully then desperate measures will not be called upon

Better to take the unprecedented pro active approach of trying to avoid the issue in the first place.......hopefully then desperate measures will not be called upon

Well, here's their opportunity. I understand the dams are full now. Are they releasing the water now or is this another lesson not learned?

Which continues today with the exoneration of criminal activity that would indicate no lessons learned.

Still, I worry that after the thousands in the South are similarly compensated and the hundreds of the flood victims are also compensated with the same 7.5 Million Baht the Red Shirts are getting, that not much will be left in Treasury.

I'm sure the Thai people and government are touched by your concern

Well, here's their opportunity. I understand the dams are full now. Are they releasing the water now or is this another lesson not learned?

I guess shortly the water will start to flow, of course it is not inconceivable they will make the same mistake as the previous government. Let us hope though they avoid spawning a similar disaster Edited by 473geo

I'm sure the Thai people and government are touched by your concern

*sigh*

and the snide, inflammatory, over-personalizing, off-topic comments against fellow members begins...

rolleyes.gif

Oh well, at least we got nearly a dozen posts in.

Edited by Buchholz

Sheesh, hope your tongue was in your cheek when u typed out that one...

• Like 1

sarcasm-1.gif

smiley added

I really can't see the government making many decisions or changes that actually matter in alleviating future flood waters. Same same headlines in 9 months time.

There is also the strong possibility that this government (without proper research and planning) will push ahead very fast with all sorts of massive flood barrier projects, clearing of massive waterways, massive tunnels etc., so that enormously big opportunites for the feeding trough get opened up quickly.

I really can't see the government making many decisions or changes that actually matter in alleviating future flood waters. Same same headlines in 9 months time.

There is also the strong possibility that this government (without proper research and planning) will push ahead very fast with all sorts of massive flood barrier projects, clearing of massive waterways, massive tunnels etc., so that enormously big opportunites for the feeding trough get opened up quickly.

yes, true

• Like 1

What desperate measures did you have in mind? Forming a committee where everybody will argueing about who will sit on it and what the attendance allowance should be? Meanwhile, back at the ranch ...................................

It was poking through his cheek,

and tickling the person in the next seat for this one.

sarcasm-1.gif

Now if there was just one good irony smily...

Edited by animatic

so what has been done since the flooding ? promises promises, nothing but words... will they be able to stop the water, i doubt...

i hope this year, the managers of the dams are not as stupid as last year to build up the dams till they are 100% full and then release all together billions of liters of water at the same time

Mr Happy Toilet should become the main person dealing with this, he has plenty of experience in water management and other shit. As for PT being decisive, only on one thing that matters, and that's getting The DL back into the country and feeding time at the money troughs, everything else is secondary.

The same guy that made the decision in the last government ("I will take responsibility") is still in the position. You don't expect him to learn from his mistakes, do you?

And besides that, it didn't make that much difference to the overall effects of the flooding. There was simply too much water.

Edited by whybother

Thats strange I don't recall you showing concern over the deaths incurred during the floods of 2010/2011 - could it be because a democrat government was in power then or are you geuinely concerned about all deaths brought about by decades of governments ignoring flood disasters?

If effective measures aren't taken this time and proper planning done I wonder now how many government apologists will come out and say they didn't have any idea it was going to happen again? One big difference this time (and hopefully it stays this way) is that there is no slated change of power to complicate things but again this will also serve to show the true concerns and preparedness of this admin. and at least they are battle hardened veterans as well so really no excuses to be had..

Hundreds of billions spent in past decades on trying to alleviate flooding in Bangkok.

Yet 2011 was the worst ever. Lesson from that: The more spent on flood alleviation, the less effective it becomes.

Hundreds of billions earmarked for now, and trillions will inevitably be earmarked for future efforts (and deep pockets of politicians) for trying to do the same for Bangkok region. All that money won't change the trend that Bkk is sinking, and seas are rising. Plus, it won't change that thousands of rai in that region are covered up by cement and alphalt each year.

Best solution: start moving Bangkok's people and services to satelite cities - on higher ground.

Will it be done? No. Why? Because so much has already been invested in Bangkok, and it's considered a very holy city.

• Like 1