Bats And Snakes

BOBBYTIN

hi, for a while we have had bats in the roof.now though we are seeing more and more green snakes on and around the roof. i thought green snakes were tree snakes and ate bugs. these guys are eating bats. any one any suggestions on what we should do. the bats have never been a problem but we have kids,the snake thing is worrying. thank you in advance

We had rats in our roof until a cat moved in and decided to stay. Haven't heard or seen a rodent from that day, although, unfortunately the local lizard population has suffered as well. Maybe a cat could also sort out bats.

Alternatively, find out where the bats gain egress and block all holes.

We had rats in our roof until a cat moved in and decided to stay. Haven't heard or seen a rodent from that day, although, unfortunately the local lizard population has suffered as well. Maybe a cat could also sort out bats.

The problem is,the bats can get in the smallest of holes,you need some for ventilation. i would not have worried,but saw a story about a green viper in the papers a while ago,this one fella looks similar,he has a big head.

The problem is,the bats can get in the smallest of holes,you need some for ventilation. i would not have worried,but saw a story about a green viper in the papers a while ago,this one fella looks similar,he has a big head.

I may be wrong as I frequently am but seems I read that Thailand had about 6 varieties of green tree or vine snakes and only one is poisonous. Of course the same book said there were no poisonous spiders here yet the vendor died a few days ago but from an "allergic reaction" to the bite. Go figure....

Use chicken mesh or fly wire to cover the holes.

Poison snakes often have large wide heads,see if it looks like these.

http://www.siam-info.de/english/snakes_crotalidae.html

Bats are good and kill lots of bugs (lots and lots)

The only problem is the guano (shit) and if they are living in your house, that stinks.

Snakes are good because they kill rodents (mice) in the states.

Here, they kill lizards and frogs I guess, which also kill bugs, so, snakes aren't as good as bats.

I'd listen to the guy who says use mesh to keep the bats out of where you don't want them.

http://www.siam-info...crotalidae.html

no,thank goodness he does not look like that.green,about 3 foot long .like a tree snake,but he has a wide flat head.

http://www.siam-info...crotalidae.html

no,thank goodness he does not look like that.green,about 3 foot long .like a tree snake,but he has a wide flat head.

Did you scroll down? Your description sounds like a pit viper...

I am a bat carer and rescuer in Australia. If you don't want bats in your roof with the guano, why not make them a little bat roost and hang it outside? There are instructions on how to build them. The snakes won't be able to reach them and the bats eat absolutely enormous amounts of insects. I'd be encouraging them.

I am a bat carer and rescuer in Australia. If you don't want bats in your roof with the guano, why not make them a little bat roost and hang it outside? There are instructions on how to build them. The snakes won't be able to reach them and the bats eat absolutely enormous amounts of insects. I'd be encouraging them.

interesting,i will look into it,actually,there is no droppings in our loft,it seems they are coming from an air brick next door. the snake looks like a pit viper,it has yellow eyes,and is very aggressive. the thais are going to kill it.yes i know all the conservationists are gonna go off on one. but with kids, we have to worry about them,not the snake,if we can catch him alive,and relocate him,we will.

Do pit vipers climb? Unless there's a way up via staggered bricks for example, only a tree snake should be able to reach your roof.

One thing to consider is that once you relocate the snake, another one is waiting to take its place. Usually snakes are pretty savvy about when you are around and get out of the way. Also, they only 'tax' the occasional bat or frog. Different to the average moggy. Snakes often come to our notice because they don't carry calendars, hence when I'm on our wildlife group hotline on the weekend, snake calls are the norm.

Any member of the publc silly enough to ring when I'm on the hotline gets quite an earbashing, starting with asking them to take a photo and letting them know that the people who usually get bitten by snakes (and remember in Australia we have some serious ones) are young blokes with weapons in their hands trying to kill the snake...

Do pit vipers climb? Unless there's a way up via staggered bricks for example, only a tree snake should be able to reach your roof.

One thing to consider is that once you relocate the snake, another one is waiting to take its place. Usually snakes are pretty savvy about when you are around and get out of the way. Also, they only 'tax' the occasional bat or frog. Different to the average moggy. Snakes often come to our notice because they don't carry calendars, hence when I'm on our wildlife group hotline on the weekend, snake calls are the norm.

Any member of the publc silly enough to ring when I'm on the hotline gets quite an earbashing, starting with asking them to take a photo and letting them know that the people who usually get bitten by snakes (and remember in Australia we have some serious ones) are young blokes with weapons in their hands trying to kill the snake...

Somewhat contrary to expectation, Pit Vipers do not live in pits. They live in trees and are both very venomous and fairly aggressive. They are a bit first, ask questions later kind of snake.

Edited by necronx99

he comes on the telephone cable we think. but my neighbors have a sign that it can climb on. i will try to get some photos. thank you