Buying A Deck Of Cards In Bangkok

orchidlady

I went to a great teaching conference recently where the trainer demonstrated using a deck of cards to randomly have students answer questions ("What would you say if...") from a game sheet according to the number and suit of the cards. If they answer correctly they get to keep the card. From research the students are motivated to play this educational game.

The only problem is i have been looking everywhere to buy a deck of playing cards. Where can they be bought in Bangkok?

Playing cards are controlled just like cigarettes and booze. Each pack has and excise tax stamp attached which makes them expensive. I think that I paid 400 baht for a pack in 7-11 a while back. They are always behind the counter and not in open view, just like cigarettes.

Edited by wayned

As jammai already said, best place to get them is at the weekend market (chatuchak - JJ). I bought 3 packs today @ a princely sum of 49 baht per packet. There are 5 or 6 vendors selling them, mainly on the outskirts out and around the market rather than right inside. Oh! Reason I bought the 3 packets? My Son (7 years old) is learning magic and needs them to practice :)

if you what to bring it back to the school or the university, make your own version on a plain white cards,

you can buy 3x5-inch thick paper cards ( B70 for 200 sht ) at B2S, any Central. write down the numbers as you like. even the dean comes in, these are nice numbered cards :-)

Playing cards are controlled just like cigarettes and booze. Each pack has and excise tax stamp attached which makes them expensive. I think that I paid 400 baht for a pack in 7-11 a while back. They are always behind the counter and not in open view, just like cigarettes.

I think that it is because playing cards in public is illegal in Thailand. The wife and I were stopped from playing in a restaurant once.

Of course, if you are playing cards in private, it must be a gambling den. wink.png