How To Keep Mosquitoes Away

sna

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being realistic, there is no way you will stop them unless the area is cordoned off with mesh or netting. even then you will get some coming in.

I've found having mesh on all the doorways and windows to be very effective. If you're careful about not leaving them open as you go in and out you will only need to clap the odd few that have managed to get in as they start bothering you.

Agreed, but the topic is for mosquitoes outside, which is why I said there is no realistic way of stopping them without screening around the area where you sit.

Black Hole put out large mossie traps for outdoors. Available from Home Pro.

I have the smaller size in the kitchen and it catches a lot.

I liked Guzzi's comment. Thanks

Mosquitoes are attracted to carbon dioxide, which unfortunately you expell with each breath. The best way to keep from having the little buggers eat you alive is to use a sprayon repellant which contains DEET. If you're not into spraying chemicals on your body, then maybe a combination of coils, candles and a tennis racket zapper will work. The high dollar electric bug zappers work good for most night-time flying insects, but I have found that under certain conditions and bug load, they overload and the step-up transformer stops working. I have also seen a propane/electric mosquito trap which was the most expensive gadget. people who I know bought the propane/electric traps dais they worked about as good as a cheap electric bug zapper. Personally, I make sure to empty any standing water, and spray a little flying insect killer in the dark areas I find outsdie the house before the sun sets. Doesn't get them all, but helps.

The larger Black Hole mossie traps don't zap them, but catch them.

How about letting them bite you, and you'll get immune to them within a few months?

And have a chance (slim but still) of getting: Malaria, Dengue fever, Japanese Encephalitis, Chikungunya Fever and Filariasis?

Don't live where this crap exist.

Easy, huh?wai.gif

How about letting them bite you, and you'll get immune to them within a few months?

And have a chance (slim but still) of getting: Malaria, Dengue fever, Japanese Encephalitis, Chikungunya Fever and Filariasis?

And not to mention the danger of getting out of your bed.

I have a laid back mate who uses tea tree oil . I have never been able to buy any myself and he gets his from a secret source so I have not tried it as a mosquitto repellant but he swears by it . I just spread a bit of menthol oil on the bites to stop myself scratching and it seems to keep them away a bit too .

And not to mention the danger of getting out of your bed.

Indeed. So much to concern oneself in paradise.

haven't had a chance to read this thread yet but as someone who has whatever type of blood that mosquitos love the most, i have formed some opinions.

i don't use anything electric to kill mosquitos except for the electric rackets. don't just buy one, buy two. one should always be charging while the other is being used to kill them. don't shock the mosquitos excessively, you will only waste the charge very quickly. instead, one quick shock, only a fraction of a second, and then gently tap the side of the racket on the floor/table leg/your dog and then step on or find another way to kill the mosquito from there. i always seem to have 5 or 6 around my house so they are charging and being used in different rooms. one of these days i'll buy 10 of them, charge them up and invite some friends over for a few beers and deal a significant blow to the local mosquito population.

outdoors i use something called a mosquito pheromone trap, it's a very simple small jug with a small hole in the side for mosquitos to enter. the jug is filled with a few cups of rainwater, preferably with some organic material in it. add a pouch of "mosquito pheromone" intended to let the female believe it's the best place to leave her kids and you add a couple drops of kitchen/dish liquid soap (non citrus scented). theoretically, the mother chooses the jug, lays her eggs and they are either not going to form correctly due to the soap or if they are at least functioning, they can't fly out because of the soap coating. whether it works better than a simple jug of rainwater left outside i can't say but it is highly effective at being a home for larvae. i have a large yard so i keep several of these in different places around the perimiter to at least think i'm making an effort.

burning some yard waste on a weekly basis is also very effective if you have the ability to do it. that smoke is devastating to them.

wear lighter colored or white clothes.

when you are indoors, just sit still for ten minutes with an electric racket in a room with no fan. if there are any mosquitos in the room they will come to you, so kill them and then turn on the oscillating fan.

i have lemongrass around my yard, looks nice but does nothing about controling the mosquito population.

if you are an adult and choose to use a spray or lotion, choose the lemongrass spray. the plant is only effective when the leaves are broken or crushed. no matter where i go mosquitos flock to me and i swear by lemongrass spray. it isn't very effective for me after an hour or so but at least it's not DEET. please don't put that stuff on your kids, it's the most effective thing there is for a reason, it's a nasty poison. never put it around your face, eyes, hands etc.

The mossies loved me for the first year or so after I arrived here.

After that I didn't have any problems, until recently... 1) they seem to have been back with a vengeance over the last couple of weeks or so and 2) the bites are getting inflamed and itching for DAYS...

It seems to me that at the end of the day everyone finds their own solution.

I found that mossies laugh at citronella spray, the only thing that keeps them away is a deet formula or the cheap mossie coils. But then again, I know people that are still bitten even when a mossie coil is by their feet.

Off-season mozzies should never be a problem...

Something to look forward too - the variety that have their way during the first two months of the raint season.

Larger and more painful nasties.

Edited by zzaa09

Try spraying a little Listerine around the door way and window frames it will stop them from entering your residence and a little on you will keep them at bay out side.

Buggers up your 'pulling' chances !

Try taking a B^ vitamin supplement - works for me.

Try spraying a little Listerine around the door way and window frames it will stop them from entering your residence and a little on you will keep them at bay out side.

Buggers up your 'pulling' chances !

Try taking a B^ vitamin supplement - works for me.

And, in my experience, Listerine only works for an hour at best - so ends up more expensive than the deet sprays.

I wondered if it was taking Vit B that had protected me from mossies - until a few weeks ago when they were back with a bloody vengence!

haven't had a chance to read this thread yet but as someone who has whatever type of blood that mosquitos love the most, i have formed some opinions.

i don't use anything electric to kill mosquitos except for the electric rackets. don't just buy one, buy two. one should always be charging while the other is being used to kill them. don't shock the mosquitos excessively, you will only waste the charge very quickly. instead, one quick shock, only a fraction of a second, and then gently tap the side of the racket on the floor/table leg/your dog and then step on or find another way to kill the mosquito from there. i always seem to have 5 or 6 around my house so they are charging and being used in different rooms. one of these days i'll buy 10 of them, charge them up and invite some friends over for a few beers and deal a significant blow to the local mosquito population.

outdoors i use something called a mosquito pheromone trap, it's a very simple small jug with a small hole in the side for mosquitos to enter. the jug is filled with a few cups of rainwater, preferably with some organic material in it. add a pouch of "mosquito pheromone" intended to let the female believe it's the best place to leave her kids and you add a couple drops of kitchen/dish liquid soap (non citrus scented). theoretically, the mother chooses the jug, lays her eggs and they are either not going to form correctly due to the soap or if they are at least functioning, they can't fly out because of the soap coating. whether it works better than a simple jug of rainwater left outside i can't say but it is highly effective at being a home for larvae. i have a large yard so i keep several of these in different places around the perimiter to at least think i'm making an effort.

burning some yard waste on a weekly basis is also very effective if you have the ability to do it. that smoke is devastating to them.

wear lighter colored or white clothes.

when you are indoors, just sit still for ten minutes with an electric racket in a room with no fan. if there are any mosquitos in the room they will come to you, so kill them and then turn on the oscillating fan.

i have lemongrass around my yard, looks nice but does nothing about controling the mosquito population.

if you are an adult and choose to use a spray or lotion, choose the lemongrass spray. the plant is only effective when the leaves are broken or crushed. no matter where i go mosquitos flock to me and i swear by lemongrass spray. it isn't very effective for me after an hour or so but at least it's not DEET. please don't put that stuff on your kids, it's the most effective thing there is for a reason, it's a nasty poison. never put it around your face, eyes, hands etc.

So where do I buy the perenome stuff, please?