Getting A Credit Card In Thailand

It seems that the big issue for the banks is having a work permit. If you have a work permit then no problem. I live in Thailand but work outside the country. Even though I had the documentation to prove sufficient income, they wouldn't even consider it without a work permit.

It seems that the big issue for the banks is having a work permit. If you have a work permit then no problem. I live in Thailand but work outside the country. Even though I had the documentation to prove sufficient income, they wouldn't even consider it without a work permit.

Ill have a work permt, but is getting a Thai credit card also dependent on how much you make?

Ill have a work permt, but is getting a Thai credit card also dependent on how much you make?

Of course it is; like in most other sane countries throughout the world. If your income is low, you'll have a harder time securing a credit card.

This Link provides Bangkok Bank's credit card requirements. For a foreigner it basically boils down to having a work permit and adequate income which appears to be 15,000 baht at Bangkok Bank. Expect other Thai banks have very similar requirements. Now, based on some TV posts it appears some some foreigners have apparently get "unsecured" credit cards even without a work permit...just the long term visa/extension of stay and adequate income...but I expect the folks have been the exceptions. The card issued is a standard "unsecured" credit card with a certain credit limit.

Now pretty much anyone can get a "secured" Thai credit card which is secured against a sum of money you place in a savings account with the bank. That is and for example, open a saving account, put 100,000 baht in it, and let the bank use that as security for issue of a credit card with a 100,000 baht line of credit. And actually whatever secured amount you go with/deposit, I think the secured amount has to be higher than the credit limit given (i.e., 150,000 baht deposit for 100,000 baht line of credit). Keep in mind you won't be allowed to withdraw any of the 100,000 baht until you pay of the card balance, cancel the credit card, and may have to wait another 30 days to get access to the money again. Apparently some banks add another 30 days or so in case any late credit card charges hit the card account as some businesses may not immediately process a charge against a card....that has happened to me a couple times over the years with my western/US credit cards (but can happen with any credit card transaction) to where a certain charge don't hit the account for weeks.

Of course it is; like in most other sane countries throughout the world. If your income is low, you'll have a harder time securing a credit card.

But a Thai only has to earn 15,000b a falang has to earn over 40,000b sometimes as high as 80,000b depending on the bank.

PIB: interesting read on the Bangkok bank website..thanks for that , i'm going to try next week.

Edited by thaicbr

Your income would determine how much credit they extend to you, also worth noting on your application they will differ the credit limit depending on your repayment method. I chose to make payment my self whilst a work collegue who applied at the same time (and on same salary) chose automated payment for full balance owed, they gave him an extra 200k credit limit than me.

This Link provides Bangkok Bank's credit card requirements. For a foreigner it basically boils down to having a work permit and adequate income which appears to be 15,000 baht at Bangkok Bank. Expect other Thai banks have very similar requirements. Now, based on some TV posts it appears some some foreigners have apparently get "unsecured" credit cards even without a work permit...just the long term visa/extension of stay and adequate income...but I expect the folks have been the exceptions. The card issued is a standard "unsecured" credit card with a certain credit limit.

Now pretty much anyone can get a "secured" Thai credit card which is secured against a sum of money you place in a savings account with the bank. That is and for example, open a saving account, put 100,000 baht in it, and let the bank use that as security for issue of a credit card with a 100,000 baht line of credit. And actually whatever secured amount you go with/deposit, I think the secured amount has to be higher than the credit limit given (i.e., 150,000 baht deposit for 100,000 baht line of credit). Keep in mind you won't be allowed to withdraw any of the 100,000 baht until you pay of the card balance, cancel the credit card, and may have to wait another 30 days to get access to the money again. Apparently some banks add another 30 days or so in case any late credit card charges hit the card account as some businesses may not immediately process a charge against a card....that has happened to me a couple times over the years with my western/US credit cards (but can happen with any credit card transaction) to where a certain charge don't hit the account for weeks.

Gud info, tanks!

It seems to be very much blurring the lines and effectively a debit card rather than a credit card that you and I might be used to outside Thailand. All with good reason from the banks' experience no doubt.

I think the answer to the OP is no, essentially you're limited to what you have in your Thai account, i.e. no credit.

I'm retired here so unable to get credit card in own name without having a blocked account with adequate funds, however my wife has a Visa card and has a second card in my name on her account. Card has my name on it, no indication its a second card. No blocked accounts required we just have a shared credit limit. To reiterate its a credit card not a debit card.

This was done at Bangkok Banks suggestion many years ago when I applied for my own credit card. Should still be available now as all liability on the account is down to wife !! (before anyone mentions I know that in case of divorce debts are joint)

Yeap, Thai banks will issue unsecured credit cards to farangs with work permits and Thai's as long as they also have adequate monthly income. I guess Thai banks figure a farang with a work permit is less likely to leave Thailand quickly with an unpaid credit card balance...and of course while Thai's can also leave the country for long periods they are still never the less Thai's which makes it easier for banks to take legal action against them, bother the Thai families they left behind, maybe seize/put a lien against some Thai property, etc. Actually I think the work permit requirement is driven by a Bank of Thailand regulation that Thai banks must follow.

It's too bad Thai banks generally won't issue a unsecured credit card to a farang retiree on a retirement/marriage visa who may have several lifetime government and/or private pensions coming in which are more secure than a monthly paycheck from a job---a person an easily and quickly get fired from a job. Plus the retiree may have a healthy retirement savings which also generate monthly income. Yeap, a farang retiree may have a monthly income from retirement sources which is 10 times that of the average Thai, but that farang won't get a unsecured credit card unless he goes back to work with a work permit to make even more money on top of his retirement pensions/investments.

Seems banks would want to issue credit cards to well-off farang retirees even if the banks had to go through some more validation of the retiree's pensions/savings/investments. But probably in the big scheme of things, Thai banks just don't want to mess with issuing out maybe a few more thousand unsecured credit cards to such retirees...instead concentraterate on tens of millions of working Thai's who they can more easily take legal action against if necessary.

Even with a work permit and proof of a decent salary, Bangkok Bank would not give me an unsecured credit card. HSBC gave me one here years ago and continue to increase the credit limit despite my never having had a bank account with them. Standard & Chartered gave me an unsecured one a few years ago but I foolishly cancelled it.

Now that HSBC have sold their Thailand retail banking business to Ayutthaya, it remains to be see what will happen to my HSBC card. Perhaps they will demand I open an account with them to secure the card. If they do I will just cancel it.

Edited by GarryP

Now that HSBC have sold their Thailand retail banking business to Ayutthaya, it remains to be see what will happen to my HSBC card. Perhaps they will demand I open an account with them to secure the card. If they do I will just cancel it.

Bank of Ayudhya in the largest card issuer in Thailand, they have plenty of cards issued to foreigners with work permits. I have one of their Central Mastercards and on the few occasions that I'ved used their call centre, the quality of the English speaking staff was fine and responsive. As long as you've managed your HSBC card account well and have a good credit bureau record, I would expect they would maintain your card on an unsecured basis.

In the first 6 months I worked in Bangkok last year Bangkok Bank wanted a fixed deposit for 200,000THB credit card 200,000THB on fixed deposit with them to get a Credit card. I did not see the point as I had money in the bank and a Visa Debit card. After 7 month I tried again sorry sir your monthly salary is not payed into the bank with the right code SAL despite the monthly deposit to my savings account being exactly what my pay slip said I was paid minus tax and social security. At this point I told Bangkok Bank they were losing me as a customer. I then went to K-Bank, opened an account with K Bank applied for a Credit Card and apart from them trying to up sell me some other life insurance products which I refused I had a Credit Card in less than one month. No Money on fixed deposit very little hassle. I am also told SCB are very good but have not tried them.

Bank of Ayudhya in the largest card issuer in Thailand, they have plenty of cards issued to foreigners with work permits. I have one of their Central Mastercards and on the few occasions that I'ved used their call centre, the quality of the English speaking staff was fine and responsive. As long as you've managed your HSBC card account well and have a good credit bureau record, I would expect they would maintain your card on an unsecured basis.

My record is good so I hope what you say comes to pass. English language is not a concern though.

Like in the post above, my salary is paid directly into Bangkok Bank but likewise they were not helpful.

Edited by GarryP

It sort of begs the question, why would you want a Thai credit card as opposed to a debit card anyway?

Most people have different reasons like don't have enough money in the banking account for certain buys (needs some time to pay off), does have enough money but prefers to earn a little more interest each month by keeping a higher balance and then paying off the credit card balance monthly, credit card may come with benefits not provided by a debit card like maybe cash back, travel rewards, travel/rental card insurance, etc. Different people can have different reasons as to why they prefer a credit card or a debit card...to each his own.

My main reason for wanting a cc is the online purchases of air-tickets and hotel-bookings and having some amount of money as a back-up while travelling.

For the online purchases you could use for example the KBank Webcard......a debet card specially for cyber-use.

I used my regular KBank debet card in a parking-meter in Amsterdam (AmEx cc wouldn't work) and see...........it worked. THB 430 or Euro 10 deducted from my account :)

I tried to get a KBank or SCB cc, but I ended up with an AmEx corporate credit card.

• Like 1

My main reason for wanting a cc is the online purchases of air-tickets and hotel-bookings and having some amount of money as a back-up while travelling.

Same applied to me. On-line hotel booking agencies wouldn't accept my debit card, so I had to put 100K in an "escrow" account with the bank to get a 95K credit card limit. When payments are due they are automatically deducted from my savings account - hence hassle free - until HSBC decided to pull out of their retail business in Thailand. I will wait to see what BoAy have to offer.

Regards

R21

It sort of begs the question, why would you want a Thai credit card as opposed to a debit card anyway?

Most people have different reasons like don't have enough money in the banking account for certain buys (needs some time to pay off), does have enough money but prefers to earn a little more interest each month by keeping a higher balance and then paying off the credit card balance monthly, credit card may come with benefits not provided by a debit card like maybe cash back, travel rewards, travel/rental card insurance, etc. Different people can have different reasons as to why they prefer a credit card or a debit card...to each his own.

I can well understand, it's how I operate much of the time. It just seems to me that you can't do this with a Thai credit card as you need to maintain sufficient funds in the acccount to cover any 'credit' spending, making the whole thing a effectively a debit card operation rather than a credit line that we are used to outside Thailand.

I can well understand, it's how I operate much of the time. It just seems to me that you can't do this with a Thai credit card as you need to maintain sufficient funds in the acccount to cover any 'credit' spending, making the whole thing a effectively a debit card operation rather than a credit line that we are used to outside Thailand.

EH ?

All I need to maintain is enough funds to clear the balance at the end of the month, same as I do with my "outside Thailand" credit cards.

Edited by Spoonman

coffee1.gif My story.

I am retired and living in Bangkok. When I opened my account for 800K Thai Baht (as required for retirement extension/visa using the bank account deposit method) at the same time I was offered a Bangkok Bank ATM/debit dard when I opened my account. No income requirement was mentioned at that time. Of course, to open that account they wanted me to have a Non O visa, which I did have. I had already recieved that Non O visa before I came to Thailand, of course.

Later I discovered that the ATM/debit card I had recieved was only good in Thailand, not outside of Thailand.

So I went back to the bank and applied for a different Bangkok Bank ATM/debit card which they told me COULD be used outside Thailand, at least in Southeast Asia. I have since used that card sucessfully in Singapore and Malaysia. As long as you maintain a certain minimum balance in your account (my case, Bangkok Bank) there is no monthly fee for the card I have. I did have to pay a fee, I believe 500 Baht but I may be wrong....when i converted from my original card to the one I now have. I am told that i can also use my Bangkok Bank card on-line here in Thailand...but I've never actually done that personally....so I can't verify that.

I was also told that with my account I could apply for a VISA or MasterCard ATM card sponsored by Bangkok Bank...but that had to be done through the main office in Silom road. Anyhow, I decided not to do that as I already had a MasterCard ATM through my U.S. bank.

So, yes it is possible to get an ATM/debit card in Thailand....once you open your account...but there are details for each type of card and bank that vary. So you need to ask carefully and make a decision based on your particular needs.

licklips.gif

But a Thai only has to earn 15,000b a falang has to earn over 40,000b sometimes as high as 80,000b depending on the bank.

PIB: interesting read on the Bangkok bank website..thanks for that , i'm going to try next week.

I was going to concur on the above comment. Although I see what BKK Bank is saying on their website, the 15,000 baht income amount is the one most if not all Thai banks use for Thai applicants.

I've seen a lot of Thai bank credit card application requirements, and the ones for farangs usually do have much higher income requirements, I wanna say typically 40,000 to 60,000 baht per month or so, assuming one has the required work permit.

The other method involved secured cards linked to bank deposits is also an entirely valid way of getting a Thai bank credit card without having a work permit, as Pib described. But it means pretty much locking up those funds.

Meanwhile, keep in mind, most if not all of the Thai bank credit cards carry a 20% annual interest rate on revolving balances.... So you don't want to be carrying any...

Also also, perhaps unlike your home country, under Thai bank policies, if your Thai bank card is lost or stolen and used fraudulently, you're totally on the hook for any fraudulent charges up to your credit limit until AFTER you've reported the loss/theft to your bank.

Do you like gambling with your money that much???

BKK Bank has two different kinds of ATM/debit cards...

One is the traditional kind with just a magnetic strip that can be used pretty much anywhere. The other is their newer secure with digital chip and pin technology that only can be used with ATMs that support that technology.

It sounds like you may have gotten the chip and pin card originally. In the same manner, that type of card also can't be used at any of the other Thai bank ATMs right now and not even all of BKK Bank's own ATMs. Because none of the other Thai bank ATMs are using that technology at present, and not all of BKK Bank's ATMs have been upgraded as yet.

Don't confuse a "secured" credit card which has a deposit amount secured against it for collateral in case you don't pay to an "unsecured" credit card which does not have a deposit account amount secured against it. Beyond that both an unsecured and secured credit card operate in the same way...you get a line of credit...you must pay a certain amount each month...and since they are Thai credit cards you basically have no consumer protection.

coffee1.gif My story.

I am retired and living in Bangkok. When I opened my account for 800K Thai Baht (as required for retirement extension/visa using the bank account deposit method) at the same time I was offered a Bangkok Bank ATM/debit dard when I opened my account. No income requirement was mentioned at that time. Of course, to open that account they wanted me to have a Non O visa, which I did have. I had already recieved that Non O visa before I came to Thailand, of course.

Later I discovered that the ATM/debit card I had recieved was only good in Thailand, not outside of Thailand.

So I went back to the bank and applied for a different Bangkok Bank ATM/debit card which they told me COULD be used outside Thailand, at least in Southeast Asia. I have since used that card sucessfully in Singapore and Malaysia. As long as you maintain a certain minimum balance in your account (my case, Bangkok Bank) there is no monthly fee for the card I have. I did have to pay a fee, I believe 500 Baht but I may be wrong....when i converted from my original card to the one I now have. I am told that i can also use my Bangkok Bank card on-line here in Thailand...but I've never actually done that personally....so I can't verify that.

I was also told that with my account I could apply for a VISA or MasterCard ATM card sponsored by Bangkok Bank...but that had to be done through the main office in Silom road. Anyhow, I decided not to do that as I already had a MasterCard ATM through my U.S. bank.

So, yes it is possible to get an ATM/debit card in Thailand....once you open your account...but there are details for each type of card and bank that vary. So you need to ask carefully and make a decision based on your particular needs.

licklips.gif

Yes, ATM/Debit cards are pretty much given automatically when opening a savings account regardless of visa...open an account and you get a ATM/Debit card unless you refuse them. Good info about how the ATM/Debit card only worked in certain places...didn't know Bangkok Bank issued an ATM/Debit card limited to just Thailand...a person wonders if there wasn't a mistake in setting up the account like barring any international transactions...kinda like how you can bar or allo the dialing of international phone number on a phone plan. But when it comes to getting a Thai bank credit card, generally that's a whole different story in trying to get one unless a person has a work permit.