Getting A Credit Card In Thailand

I don't believe BKK Bank has a ATM/debit card that simply doesn't work abroad...

Their normal ATM card works fine abroad, albeit with extra charges...

Their newer secure card only works with ATMs that have the matching technology. I believe the banks in Europe do tend to have that, but the banks in the U.S. don't for example. I'm not sure about other countries in Asia.

But as I recounted in post #28 above, the newer secure card won't work with any other Thai bank ATMs either, because those banks aren't using that technology, and not even with all of BKK Bank's own ATMs, because they haven't upgraded all of them as yet.

But as I recounted in post #28 above, the newer secure card won't work with any other Thai bank ATMs either, because those banks aren't using that technology, and not even with all of BKK Bank's own ATMs, because they haven't upgraded all of them as yet.

That's the main reason I didn't switch my Be1st debit card (magnetic strip) to the Be1st Smart debit card (chip). When using my Bangkok Bank debit card to get money I will first look for a Bangkok Bank ATM to avoid the possibility of paying a 20 baht fee because I had to use another Thai bank ATM (yes I know sometimes that other machine is part of the ATM Pool and you may not get charged but most of the time I have been charge that 20 baht fee). But sometimes when I need some cash quick a Bangkok Bank ATM is not nearby, so I use another Thai bank ATM. Basically I'm choosing wide-spread usability over what is suppose to provide a little extra security.

• 1 month later...

Just put an application into K-Bank for a credit card, they required that i had at least held a work permit for a year and it must still have at least 6 months to run from application date, (just got a new two year permit) plus they wanted 3 months of wage slips and a copy of my tax return plus copies of my bank books. Will let you all know of the outcome, they said about 2/3 weeks.

JOHN

Before applying for a Thai Credit Card it would be a very good idea to read the small print.

The raft of credit protections enjoyed by Credit Card users in the developed world simply do not exist in Thailand.

Fraudulent use of your Farangland Credit Card - The Credit Card Issuer picks up the bill.

Fraudulent use of your Thailand Credit Card - The bill comes to you.

Before applying for a Thai Credit Card it would be a very good idea to read the small print.

The raft of credit protections enjoyed by Credit Card users in the developed world simply do not exist in Thailand.

Fraudulent use of your Farangland Credit Card - The Credit Card Issuer picks up the bill.

This is exactly the reason I don't have a local CC here. I use credit cards from my home country which give me legal protection against fraud.

I also don't shop with my KBank debit/ATM card - I pay cash. I even don't carry my card, only when I draw money from an ATM. At other times, the card is at a secure place at home.

Good and accurate info that probably many members here are not aware of...

The general rule applied by most Thai banks is... you're responsible for everything, fraudulent or not, until 5 minutes AFTER you call to report your card lost or stolen, up to your credit limit or account deposit amount.

And let's not forget the normal 20% annual percentage rate interest for anyone who carries a balance on Thai credit cards.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

And of course the fine print may only be in the Thai language.

I had my Thai cc card skimmed in Europe. They reversed the charges without question.

Not only is getting a card difficult, but the limits are very low. I travel overseas a fair bit, and things like hotels are a pain. Four nights in a hotel in japan took nearly my entire credit limit (just the hotel). Similarly booking flights on line can be impossible due to the low limit, and the bank (SBC) is entirely uninterested in raising the limit, despite my having had the same job for 12 years.

Tried to get a citibank as a back up -application rejected. These are the same people that sent my secretary an unsolicited pre-approved card with a limit equal to 3 times her monthly salary.

Why have a CC? Why not have a debit card with credit card protection, chip and PIN. The card is linked to your SAV or Current Account. You can then use at an ATM or EFTPOS terminal SAV/CHQ/CC.

From your home bank in your country.

Edited by electau

Electau, I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're suggesting...

Thai bank VISA or MC debit cards can be used in the swipe and sign mode for Point of Sale (POS) transactions (without any PIN required). Thus if someone steals that Thai bank card, they can go on quite a spending spree prior to the card being reported stolen since store clerks here rarely bother to check IDs at the point of sale. And there's no Thai consumer protection law protecting the cardholder in such cases.

On the other hand, my U.S. bank VISA or MC debit cards, when used in the U.S., will support both swipe and sign AND PIN-based POS transactions, depending on what kind of card terminal the merchant has and is using.

But here in Thailand, PIN-based POS terminals for VISA and MC debit cards seem to be rare or not found at all. So while I can't use my PIN for my POS transactions, at least if my U.S. bank card is ever stolen, U.S. federal law significantly limits my liability for fraudulent charges both for credit and debit cards -- even when the charges are being made abroad.

So what exactly are you suggesting in that regard?