Thaksin: Successful Reconciliation Will Bring Thailand More Prosperity

webfact

Don't be so harsh on khun Thaksin. Those endless shopping sprees on the Champs Elysees and expensive pig out dinners in Dubai can become quite boring when you're nothing but just another rich guy with bad taste.

And having to watch the performance of his hand-picked government (the creme de la creme of his trusted followers) must put a terrible strain on him...

• Like 1

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

" The ex-premier said Thailand can be a wealthy nation once its people stop fighting against each other over trivial matters. "

Almost all back to normal, the drug problem will be solved and wealthy people will be all over Isaan soon. Farmers will build factories and employ poor Chinese guys making 176 baht/day. ( It's true, not saam reu)....

. But was has the fighting BS to do with wealthier people? Guess I don't get it, will drink a horse beer now and try again later, or not. jap.gif

Edited by sirchai

Why don't papers refer to him as Wanted Criminal Fugitive Thaksin Shinawatra?

Probably because they wish to sell newspapers, and (away from Thai Visa) it seems that most of the Thai people don't think of him in those terms.

Nevertheless, isn't that what he is?

Probably because they wish to sell newspapers, and (away from Thai Visa) it seems that most of the Thai people don't think of him in those terms.

They don't have the balls to say it that directly.

Former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra made a phone-in to red-shirt supporters, saying the ongoing conflict is easy to solve

The reason he won't come back is because he's afraid someone will solve the conflict once and for all

"Successful Reconciliation Will Bring Thailand More Prosperity" = If you let me back into the country with a get out of jail free card, I'll buy the love of every poor rice farmer in Thailand for 500 baht a family. clap2.gif

48% of those who voted is not MOST Thais.

so you're basing it on the fact that 52% didn't vote PTP, so that must mean that 52% of thais do think of him in those terms then?

all other parties are anti-PTP and thaksin are they? and people only vote for other parties based on thinking of thaksin as a criminal?

flawed logic.

And not all of those voted for Thaksin. Some just voted against Abhist and some really thought Yingluck was going to be the PM

And not all of those voted for Thaksin. Some just voted against Abhist and some really thought Yingluck was going to be the PM

Most of those people just vote for their local strong man who has ruled their district for decades. With Thaksin or without Thaksin the local big man will usually win the election. Thai politics is fuedal, especially in the Northeast, and the fuedal lords ally with Thaksin for mutal protection and opportunity for corruption.

And Thaksin's party got 44% of total votes, 48% of valid votes (excludes no votes and spoiled ballots), in an election in which several million people boycotted. One reason why they are afraid of a referendum on constitution changes to pardon Thaksin, they'd have to get over 50% to win and they probably can't unless they are very sneaky about it. No boycott or no votes to help them and many PTP voters may not even vote yes to a pardon

Even the western media usually refers to hm as an Exile rather than a wanted convicted criminal.

Probably has regular lunches with Rupert.

They don't have the balls to say it that directly.

'......Probably because they wish to sell newspapers, and (away from Thai Visa) it seems that most of the Thai people don't think of him in those terms. ....'

Not quite that simple. There are plenty of Thais who fully realize the damage this man is doing and how dishonest and immoral he is. And yes there are many many Thais who have been tricked into believing, through cleverly times handouts, taking big advantage of their naivety about how to decide which party to vote for, and through doctored tapes and more that he is a saviour. Again totally immoral.

Edited by scorecard

so you're basing it on the fact that 52% didn't vote PTP, so that must mean that 52% of thais do think of him in those terms then?

all other parties are anti-PTP and thaksin are they? and people only vote for other parties based on thinking of thaksin as a criminal?

flawed logic.

Agreed, many of those 48% who voted for PTP were wanting their promised immediate universal minimum-wage of 300B/day, which DL promptly decided to renege-upon, after the election-result was in, and they still don't have several months later. But that's another thread ...

This one is about how the same old tired lies are still being retailed to the faithful, who are actually still believing in them, even after they've been let-down by an elite pu-yai once again, as well as by most of their popular Red-Shirt activist-leaders, the ones who organised the disastrous 'peaceful protest' in Bangkok.

One can only hope that they'll eventually learn the lesson. cool.png

flawed logic.

Not as flawed as assuming MOST Thais think that he is NOT a criminal. IMHO ALL Thais KNOW that he is a criminal, but 48% are prepared to vote for him anyway.

anterian#54

agree with what you say basically, before anything can ever be sorted out politically the red and yellow shirts should be banned-outlawed. You cannot have this fugitive running the show from outside or having criminals in government positions, or known supporters of regimes. Cabinet chosen on merit, heading a department they have full experience in, 100% police clean-up. Transparency within government-and provincial vital to the countries progress. Going back to Thaksin style of running the show is a way down the road to doom, and conflict. Corruption should be priority over every other matter, this government is more than reeking it stinks with it's promises and everyday running, together with a P.M. that is lost in her position.

This wannabee dictator is a joke but a dagerous one, if he does come back I cannot see him surviving for too long as he will probably join general Deng, then we may see true peace coming to Thailand ( after the initial uproar ). Just my honest opinion

Not as flawed as assuming MOST Thais think that he is NOT a criminal. IMHO ALL Thais KNOW that he is a criminal, but 48% are prepared to vote for him anyway.

They may accept that a certain amount of enrichment went his way as is due a man in such a position. This has been the accepted way of life here for centuries. What I think most of those 48% don't realize is the truly staggering scale of the swindle that he was in the midst of pulling off. Understanding just how much a billion or trillion is is probably beyond your average countryside Thai.

This wannabee dictator is a joke but a dagerous one, if he does come back I cannot see him surviving for too long as he will probably join general Deng, then we may see true peace coming to Thailand ( after the initial uproar ). Just my honest opinion

It is likely the reason he has not physically returned. He's been given the word.

Democracy will be/has been seen to be done, for quieting the masses,

and he can manipulate the government from afar to some extent,

but don't try to set foot in Thailand, no matter the power base,

because too many corners will give no quarter if he is close at hand.

And before the usual suspects start screaming; Sondhi, PAD, Army

and the usual counter-red targets, they are far from the only parties

that have a grudge with Thaksin long gone cold, but never, ever dead.

He has left a trail of the dead and injured for 30 years in business, and politics,

he no doubt has no shortage of enemies who will never again

willingly be under his yoke for long once more.

Edited by animatic

An interesting note to all of this Thaksination. http://edition.cnn.com/2012/01/30/world/europe/romania-politician-convicted/index.html?hpt=hp_t2 Yes, even Romania can convict their former PM for corruption and successfully jail him.

I think they went a bit further than that in1989. For those with short memories do Google 'Rumanian revolution'.

Even the western media usually refers to hm as an Exile rather than a wanted convicted criminal.

Probably has regular lunches with Rupert.

You can believe what newspapers print at your peril. An exile he is most certainly not.

Thaksin also gave a blessing to his supporters on the occasion of New Year and told them to be patient as they will become wealthier soon.

Soon? How soon? The six months is due now.

I recall that something like in 6 month everyone will be rich.

OK maybe I was not meant as Farang.....need to check if my wife is rich by now.

Ckecked with mine....... She said...... NO... Funny that!!!!!

I am surprised it has not happen yet......

Thaksin also gave a blessing to his supporters on the occasion of New Year and told them to be patient as they will become wealthier soon.

Soon? How soon? The six months is due now.

Only his supporters becomong wealthy or all Thais?

Mr T is right the PTP and the red shirts need to understand this and remember that reconcilliation needs compromise and understanding from all sides.

Yes, they must understand that Thaksin is always right and not too many people will get hurt. Sounds like a plan.

I felt the opening to the OP needed editing.

NONTHABURI: -- Former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra made a phone-in to red-shirt supporters, saying the ongoing conflict is easy to solve and I can become a happier and wealthier person if reconciliation is achieved.