Are Thais Mostly Good Drinker?

sunnyhor

coffee1.gif I'll reply...but you won't much care for my reply.

There a four males in my Thai household. I'm the farang, and 3 Thais.

We all take a drink occasionally...usually at a party or family get-together. The last time I had a drink was at my birthday dinner at a local sushi restaurant (I like sushi) here in Bangkok last October. We shared two small bottles of beer at the restaurant.

The only other time I saw one of my thai family drinking was back in November during the floods here in Bangkok. When he drank that night...beer if i recall correctly it was because:

1. His parent's house was flooded that day.

2. His house...the one he shares ownership of with his wife and rents out the 2nd floor of...was already under about one meter of floodwater.

3. And there was about 20 cm of floodwater outside OUR house (but fortunately it never did get inside).

So, I would say he had a valid reason for drinking that night.

The other two I have never seen drinking, except for that small glass of beer at my birthday party as I mentioned above.

So, you see, it makes me a little angry when you say ALL Thais seem to drink ALL the time.

Obviously, some do drink heavily, some don't. It just isn't true...at least in my experience and from what I've seen here around my neighborhood in the last 18 months (roughly) here.

So please don't tar every Thai with the same brush...it's insulting for those who, like my family, work very hard to earn their living.

coffee1.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try 1 bottle of JW black, 2 big bottles of sang-som, lots of water (thai's n whisky n water??) 3 cases of singha/chang between me and my new found Thai friends,4 of us in total... On the beach on Loy Krathong night 2010! Only thing was I had a flight to catch at 0400, we drank the lot tho and I somehow made it to the airport and check in at 0130 ? Amazing to say the least,back home here in Scotland I would probably be dead or in prison if I drank that much in 5hrs!

Amazing Thailand

That's why I said earlier , I think Thais really can drink. That is why there are so many "Drunkards" walking around the street at night!

We all take a drink occasionally...usually at a party or family get-together. The last time I had a drink was at my birthday dinner at a local sushi restaurant (I like sushi) here in Bangkok last October. We shared two small bottles of beer at the restaurant.

The only other time I saw one of my thai family drinking was back in November during the floods here in Bangkok. When he drank that night...beer if i recall correctly it was because:

2. His house...the one he shares ownership of with his wife and rents out the 2nd floor of...was already under about one meter of floodwater.

3. And there was about 20 cm of floodwater outside OUR house (but fortunately it never did get inside).

The other two I have never seen drinking, except for that small glass of beer at my birthday party as I mentioned above.

So, you see, it makes me a little angry when you say ALL Thais seem to drink ALL the time.

Obviously, some do drink heavily, some don't. It just isn't true...at least in my experience and from what I've seen here around my neighborhood in the last 18 months (roughly) here.

So please don't tar every Thai with the same brush...it's insulting for those who, like my family, work very hard to earn their living.

coffee1.gif

I work hard to earn a living, but I still take a drink. I don't think the two are mutually exclusive.

I don't feel that my technical competence or work ethic are compromised by going to the pub on the way home from work...

SC

Try 1 bottle of JW black, 2 big bottles of sang-som, lots of water (thai's n whisky n water??) 3 cases of singha/chang between me and my new found Thai friends,4 of us in total... On the beach on Loy Krathong night 2010! Only thing was I had a flight to catch at 0400, we drank the lot tho and I somehow made it to the airport and check in at 0130 ? Amazing to say the least,back home here in Scotland I would probably be dead or in prison if I drank that much in 5hrs!

Amazing Thailand

That's why I said earlier , I think Thais really can drink. That is why there are so many "Drunkards" walking around the street at night!

I am curious. Where are all these Thai drunkards to be found walking the streets?

No offense, but I encountered several times. Cycling, motor biking and walking drunkards along Tapae CM.

Amazing Thailand

I am curious. Where are all these Thai drunkards to be found walking the streets?

Edited by sunnyhor

The "Good drinker" I mean is someone who can drink a lot and will not drunk easily.

We talk about just beer, a normal drinking for a normal human being range between 1-6 bottles. But if a person can drink 6 bottles and above without feeling drunk, I considered them as "Good drinker" .

What is a good drinker??

Some pretty fair and balanced comments on this thread. I agree that the Thais on average don't drink any more or less than most nationalities. As far as being a "good drinker"--rather odd wording as the OP seems to suggest that a "good drinker" is someone who's had a lot of practice. A freakin alcoholic would technically be the best because he can seriously hold his liquor. So there'd be as many "good drinkers" in Thailand as anywhere else I suppose.

The "Good drinker" I mean is someone who can drink a lot and will not drunk easily.

We talk about just beer, a normal drinking for a normal human being range between 1-6 bottles. But if a person can drink 6 bottles and above without feeling drunk, I considered them as "Good drinker" .

What would be the point of that? Seems like a waste of beer to me.

If you're drinking to get drunk, then surely the less you need the better; and if you;'re not drinking to get drunk, then why drink a lot?

SC

The OP seems to have serious issues with generalising. First he tars all monks in the kingdom with one brush and now he is asking for the definitive answer regarding thais and drinking.

it seems like quite a childish outlook on life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_tolerance

Says:

1) alcohol tolerance is affected by *training* / drinking regularly

2) alcohol tolerance can also be affected by genetics with approximately 1 out of 3 Asians being unable to metabolize alcohol. I would doubt that those prone to being unable to process alcohol would drink regularly and certainly not a lot when they do drink.

My experience has been that NOBODY drinks more than us people of Euro decent. Cultural thing.

mmm I can drink 2 large bottles of whiskey and 10 large changs in one day. My wife gets dizzy and needs to go to bed after one small bottle of spy.

Btw drinking a lot is not something to be proud of. I'm proud I haven't had a drink for over a decade.

http://en.wikipedia....cohol_tolerance

Says:

1) alcohol tolerance is affected by *training* / drinking regularly

2) alcohol tolerance can also be affected by genetics with approximately 1 out of 3 Asians being unable to metabolize alcohol. I would doubt that those prone to being unable to process alcohol would drink regularly and certainly not a lot when they do drink.

My experience has been that NOBODY drinks more than us people of Euro decent. Cultural thing.

And we have been drinking alcohol for hundreds of years that is good training for our genes.

Some posters here have been drinking for over 50 years too drunk.gif

As you say, many Thai cannot metabolize alcohol. I know several who have liver problems because of Whiskey consumption. I know others who will happily sit in a family group outside their homes and drink a reasonable quantity of beer / whiskey. They do not roam the streets as drunkards as an earlier post states.

The OP seems to have serious issues with generalising. First he tars all monks in the kingdom with one brush and now he is asking for the definitive answer regarding thais and drinking.

it seems like quite a childish outlook on life.

I'm guessing that Sunnyhor might be Thai.....kind of a reverse psychological thing going on.wai.gif

Here in Bangkok I have problems to find drunk Thais , but I meet drunk foreigners walking on the streets.

Yes we have a few partys with Thais , and we drink a little , but heavy? No I think most Thais do not have an alcohol problem unlike in the west.

Here in Bangkok I have problems to find drunk Thais , but I meet drunk foreigners walking on the streets.

Yes we have a few partys with Thais , and we drink a little , but heavy? No I think most Thais do not have an alcohol problem unlike in the west.

In my experience most Westerners do not have a drink problem either.

I can't actually imagine a Thai drinking Heavy. Now that HAS given me a thirst... coming so soon after my tale of D*'s 80'

SC

This categorized type might include the hard working rural man, whom imbibes with several nibbles throughout the day - everyday - yet manages to accomplish his task in an orderly fashion. And they're not "alcoholics" nor do they over indulge to the point of kee mau.

Not all of my Thai friends drink. When I go out to a drinking venue, though, the Thais who do go easily out drink me (adjusted for body weight, anyway). I'm amazed at how much they can put away. However, there is a bit of a dark side to it- some Thais don't seem to know their limit once they have drunk a little, and then will cheerfully and obliviously drink themselves sick... even if it doesn't go that far, looking at people who have really lost it to alcohol brings up the question in my mind: 'is this fun or is this alcoholism?' I've seen the 'finish the bottle' syndrome in action, too- seems like it just doesn't make sense to drink enough and then put it away.

Not all of my Thai friends drink. When I go out to a drinking venue, though, the Thais who do go easily out drink me (adjusted for body weight, anyway). I'm amazed at how much they can put away. However, there is a bit of a dark side to it- some Thais don't seem to know their limit once they have drunk a little, and then will cheerfully and obliviously drink themselves sick... even if it doesn't go that far, looking at people who have really lost it to alcohol brings up the question in my mind: 'is this fun or is this alcoholism?' I've seen the 'finish the bottle' syndrome in action, too- seems like it just doesn't make sense to drink enough and then put it away.

EXACTLY!

coffee1.gif

Well said It never ceases to amaze me how many people think the whole world is like their back yard.

I can under stand them their was a time when I drank way to munch and could not see a world where every one was not like me. Today I see the world differently it is nothing like my back yard. It is full of people who drink to munch people who drink socially and people who don't drink.

I have no problem with the charts ravip put up. They make sense.

Amazing Thailand

im surprised they let you on the plane and didn't consider you combustible. Must have stank to high heaven to the person next to you.

Yeah so am I :-) I can slightly remember scrubbing my mouth out at the airport. The night was totally unplanned, I never drink whisky here in Scotland, I'm amazed I managed to keep it together. The sad thing is if the same happened back home, strangers meeting and drinking whisky & beer then no doubt extreme violence would be part of the nights entertainment. I've felt safe with Thai's that I have drank with, but hey probably 90% of then have been female :-)

No offense, but I encountered several times. Cycling, motor biking and walking drunkards along Tapae CM.

Amazing Thailand

Good one the heart of the tourist area just around the corner from the bars.

Amazing Thailand

im surprised they let you on the plane and didn't consider you combustible. Must have stank to high heaven to the person next to you.

Yeah so am I :-) I can slightly remember scrubbing my mouth out at the airport. The night was totally unplanned, I never drink whisky here in Scotland, I'm amazed I managed to keep it together. The sad thing is if the same happened back home, strangers meeting and drinking whisky & beer then no doubt extreme violence would be part of the nights entertainment. I've felt safe with Thai's that I have drank with, but hey probably 90% of then have been female :-)

I don;'t know about you, but generally speaking, I have been able to avoid extreme violence wherever I've gone; an occasional clap in the chops from being over-familiar, but that's about it. And I would not like to say that Sukhumvit was more or less safe than Salford, nor to compare Samutprakarn with Seaton Sands... nor Jumeirah and Juniper Green, or Deira and Dalry.

SC

drunk.gif You mean if they or anyone who can drink till they are a rotten mess, slobbering drunk, fighting, driving, or just plan being s_hit faced, that they are a "GOOD" drinker, come on, get real, here is the only place they should go www.aathailand.org . There is no such thing as a "good drinker" responsible yes, but have you really seen many responsible drinkers in Thailand?partytime2.gifcheesy.gifburp.gifsaai.gifviolin.gifpost-4641-1156694005.gifcrazy.gifofftopic2.gif

I witness out in the ricefields of CM that either they don't drink at all, or they drink way too much. Like a lot of thai things, both extremes and very little moderation is practiced. Another Thai drinking trait is that the party is not over until the last drop of wiskey is drunk.....or if someone has the money, they'll get another one. Another Thai drinking custom that rubs me the wrong way is their constantly topping off my glass when it goes down just a couple of swallows.....no thanks, I'd rather dose myself as I like to be able to know how much I drink.

So, now....I rarely drink with Thais.

I witness out in the ricefields of CM that either they don't drink at all, or they drink way too much. Like a lot of thai things, both extremes and very little moderation is practiced. Another Thai drinking trait is that the party is not over until the last drop of wiskey is drunk.....or if someone has the money, they'll get another one. Another Thai drinking custom that rubs me the wrong way is their constantly topping off my glass when it goes down just a couple of swallows.....no thanks, I'd rather dose myself as I like to be able to know how much I drink.

So, now....I rarely drink with Thais.

I prefer to drink with Thais.

To each his own preference.