Have Any Of You Baked Ur Own Bread?

TheKeeNok

I bake my own bread all the time....and, no, I don't use a toaster oven.

I use a (cheap) gas oven (with a pan of water at the bottom) to bake my formed loaves, and an electric bread machine for std. shaped loaves.

I make all kinds of bread as I get bored easily.

The formed loaves I make include SanFran Sourdough (yes, I have a real SF sourdough culture in my fridge that I have kept alive since 2004), basic French and Italian breads (also ciabatta) and sandwich rolls, hamburger and hotdog buns, and have even made Ambasha.

Bread machine baked breads include basic wheat bread, white bread for sandwiches & toast, oat bread (which I like for making French toast), various sweet breads, jalapeno-cheese bread, etc.

I use the bread machine to make and knead the dough for my formed breads... and not to forget, pizza dough.

I hope this helps....

EDIT: Oh, and yes, they all come out fine and YES, it's worth it!!! Where I live, all that exists is "fish bread", unless I make my own or shop out of town.

Edited by NanaFoods

I use a (cheap) gas oven (with a pan of water at the bottom) to bake my formed loaves, and an electric bread machine for std. shaped loaves.

The formed loaves I make include SanFran Sourdough (yes, I have a real SF sourdough culture in my fridge that I have kept alive since 2004), basic French and Italian breads (also ciabatta) and sandwich rolls, hamburger and hotdog buns, and have even made Ambasha.

Bread machine baked breads include basic wheat bread, white bread for sandwiches & toast, oat bread (which I like for making French toast), various sweet breads, jalapeno-cheese bread, etc.

I use the bread machine to make and knead the dough for my formed breads... and not to forget, pizza dough.

I hope this helps....

EDIT: Oh, and yes, they all come out fine and YES, it's worth it!!! Where I live, all that exists is "fish bread", unless I make my own or shop out of town.

Sourdough LOL Freakin aewwsome.. Thanks. WIll give it a try...

I hope this helps....

Having a live sourdough culture is the key.

If you have space a wood fired oven is pretty simple to make.

Being retired out in the boonies I have a bit of time on my hands and have started to make bread again. I make the dough by hand and bake in a small glass convection oven. Turns out well, so far making white bread rolls, French bread and Pitta's.

I have recently discovered a bakery supplies shop which besides many types of bread and all purpose flours also stocks rye and whole wheat flour.

Must admit that the bread is solely for myself as the wife & family have not succumbed to western food.

ph34r.png

Yes, we too bake our own bread and have done since moving from Bangkok to Buriram province in '97. It's now a small, semi-commercial enterprise with several breads available plus crusty rolls, burger buns and pizza dough. I also have a sourdough culture that is several years old. We used to do the kneading by hand, but invested in a medium sized dough hook machine. We've an Italian EKA electric oven - sufficient for four loaves at a time.

We get our bulk bakery supplies from a place in Korat, but we know of another supplier in Buriram town. The problem with most of the commercially sold bread is its sweetness, chemical content and lack of both flavour and substance, which was the goad needed to make our own.

Yes, it's well worth baking your own bread.

So for those without bread machines, what type of ovens are TV folk using?. I am using a small glass bowl type convection oven and can only bake one loaf at a time. Have seen the fitted kitchen type in Homepro but very expensive (well to me).

Our towns small cake bakery shop has a gas bottle type and that looks pretty good to me.

Anyone know of a supplier? - Bangkok/Pattaya or a Makro. Cheers

J Oliver.

Phetchabun

ph34r.png

So for those without bread machines, what type of ovens are TV folk using?. I am using a small glass bowl type convection oven and can only bake one loaf at a time. Have seen the fitted kitchen type in Homepro but very expensive (well to me).

Our towns small cake bakery shop has a gas bottle type and that looks pretty good to me.

Anyone know of a supplier? - Bangkok/Pattaya or a Makro. Cheers

J Oliver.

Phetchabun

ph34r.png

Wood fired brick.

So for those without bread machines, what type of ovens are TV folk using?.

Mine is a cheapo 3-burner gas oven that I bought at a department store when I lived in Chiangmai. It's just thin sheet metal with no detectable insulation. 3 rack positions; one rack. I can fit about 3 French/Italian loaves in it, or two small casseroles. I think it cost about 6k baht. Yep....real cheapo, and heat is not quite even so I have to rotate certain items while cooking.... but it's serviced me for about 9 years.

I've seen the countertop single-loaf bread machines for sale at malls in the larger cities, and even at Makro. Usually around 4k baht or so, give or take.

I'm blowed if I can find one in Bangkok, I looked in a couple of Central stores, Siam Paragon, Emporium and even MBK, to no avail.

Surely they must sell them here somewhere?

I've seen the countertop single-loaf bread machines for sale at malls in the larger cities, and even at Makro. Usually around 4k baht or so, give or take.

I'm blowed if I can find one in Bangkok, I looked in a couple of Central stores, Siam Paragon, Emporium and even MBK, to no avail.

Have you tried Verasu?

May be a little more expensive, but you may end up with better quality as well...

That they do.

At Verasu down near the American embassy on the same side.

A quick link for you.

http://www.verasu.com/product_detail.php?pid=224

as for me, I was looking for a bread-cutter (electrical or "man-powered", doesn't matter), but to no avail. even those European-bred chains such as Big C, Tesco and the former Carrefour did not have that.

don't want to spend a fortune on it either, so probably will have to wait until I visit my home-country again, where I can get such thing for roughly 25€ or so....

as for me, I was looking for a bread-cutter (electrical or "man-powered", doesn't matter), but to no avail. even those European-bred chains such as Big C, Tesco and the former Carrefour did not have that.

don't want to spend a fortune on it either, so probably will have to wait until I visit my home-country again, where I can get such thing for roughly 25€ or so....

Verasu has food slicers (which slice bread) also.

http://www.verasu.com/product_detail.php?pid=732

I have an Electrolux fan oven from HomePro which sits in a cabinet I built in my little workshop. I use it to bake bread a couple of times a week and several cakes a day. It cost around 20k baht if I remember correctly, it's a few years old but works very well, holds the correct temperature and has nice even heating.

I have an Electrolux fan oven from HomePro which sits in a cabinet I built in my little workshop. I use it to bake bread a couple of times a week and several cakes a day. It cost around 20k baht if I remember correctly, it's a few years old but works very well, holds the correct temperature and has nice even heating.

A lot of good info on bread making on these posts. I will be investing in a new cooker shortly. Think i will go for gas ring with electric oven. Then i will be giving the bread making malarky a go.

Knead the bread in bread machine (cheaper than Kitchen Aid mixer), use loaf tin purchased from bakery supplies.

I too used to make sourdough but get the culture from fermenting whole wheat flour.

It's better to ferment part of the dough in the fridge and mix them with the new dough next day yield much better bread.

i have no problems at all with my white breads, rolls, buns or various kinds but am yet to make a wholemeal bread that isnt like a brick. Any advice or suggestions, I am using the Aussie imported wholemeal flour in plain brown packs but no joy at all yet. Any help gratefully received

i have no problems at all with my white breads, rolls, buns or various kinds but am yet to make a wholemeal bread that isnt like a brick. Any advice or suggestions, I am using the Aussie imported wholemeal flour in plain brown packs but no joy at all yet. Any help gratefully received

100% wholewheat (whole meal) etc. will usually turn out very heavy. It’s the compromise for really healthy bread. I mix 50% spelt with 50% wholewheat, it helps a bit, but is still pretty heavy compared to store bought (which is probably 50% white flour). Adding vital wheat gluten will also lighten it, as will replacing some water with milk.

• Like 1

100% wholewheat (whole meal) etc. will usually turn out very heavy. It’s the compromise for really healthy bread. I mix 50% spelt with 50% wholewheat, it helps a bit, but is still pretty heavy compared to store bought (which is probably 50% white flour). Adding vital wheat gluten will also lighten it, as will replacing some water with milk.

Thanks I will give it a try

Having a live sourdough culture is the key.

There are a plethora of methods for homemade sourdough starter if you do an internet search.

Here is one that looks interesting... How to Make Sourdough Starter

If you're a beginner, I suggest you read several write-ups. As with fermenting food, or pickling, or sour-curing meats, you need to make sure you have the right culture... and a SAFE culture.

• Like 1

I would guess the store-bought wheat bread is about 30% wholewheat.

When I make 50/50 at home, it tastes more "whole-wheatier" than store-bought.

Oh, and adding milk may make a bread lighter, but it also tends to make the bubbles in the bread smaller. Something to consider... if you prefer big-bubbly bread (or not).

Interestingly, I used buttermilk in a recent sourdough recipe I experimented with, and the bread came out with the usual large bubbles and was quite nice (and extra sour). .... perhaps it's because buttermilk culture is mesophilic like yeast. Hmm?

I would guess the store-bought wheat bread is about 30% wholewheat.

When I make 50/50 at home, it tastes more "whole-wheatier" than store-bought.

Oh, and adding milk may make a bread lighter, but it also tends to make the bubbles in the bread smaller. Something to consider... if you prefer big-bubbly bread (or not).

Interestingly, I used buttermilk in a recent sourdough recipe I experimented with, and the bread came out with the usual large bubbles and was quite nice (and extra sour). .... perhaps it's because buttermilk culture is mesophilic like yeast. Hmm?

I have tried various ratios of wholemeal to white flour but never put as much as 50% white fliur in so will give it a try.