Bangkok Motorcycle Taxis Cry For Help After Being Victimized By Mafias

webfact

Motorcycle Taxis Cry for Help after Being Victimized by Mafias

640px-Scooters_Bangkok_Nana.jpg

File photo, source: wikimedia

BANGKOK: -- Khaosod Newspaper has received complaints from the Motorcycle Taxi Drivers Association that they are being forced to pay substantial amounts of money to mafias for the right to offer their services to city commuters. Chalerm Changtongmadun, the association's president, says he represents around 500 motorcycle taxi drivers in the city. Bangkok, he says, has over 4,800 motorcycle taxi cues throughout the city. That amounts to around 200,000 individual motorcycle taxis.

Chalerm claims that this group has been forced to pay protection fees of up to 40,000 to 60,000 baht a month. Each motorcycle cue is extorted for different amounts of money by local and national mafias.

According to Chalerm, these mafia represent high ranking members of the armed forces or local and national politicians, depending on which area of the city the cue is located.

If they refuse to pay, Chalerm claims that the mafia will send bullies to harrass and terrorize them. In some cases, motorcycle taxi drivers have been hospitalized for serious injuries inflicted upon them for not paying up.

Chalerm says that there has been a case where the head of the motorcycle cue disappeared. His body was found days later and police still haven't concluded the investigation.

The president of the association says that he's brought these grievances to authorities before, but no one has fixed the problem.

Chalerm claims that in some areas, a whole new motorcycle cue is organized nearby, offering services on the same routes as the legitimate taxi cue. Local police failed to deal with the situation after being told of the problem.

The motorcycle taxi drivers are also calling on the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration for help. They say they've met with BMA officials at least 10 times, but the problem remains.

According to Khaosod Online, the association provided photographs and video clips as evidence that their claims are true.

Translated from www.khaosod.co.th

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-01-31

footer_n.gif

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Ten "To Serve and Protect" Motto Replacements

1. "To unnerve and suspect"

2. "You call, we brawl"

3. "To provide you idiots with outstanding police services"

4. "No call's too small"

5. "Deserving and neglected since 1865"

6. "To serve and protect, despite the current provisions as laid out in the city's proposed contract"

7. "Enforcement with a smile"

8. "To be slightly injured and collect"

9. "If we're not there in 10 minutes you get a free pizza"

10."Cops-r-Us"

• Like 1

Perhaps the motorcycle taxi boys should avail themselves of the Red Shirts mercenaries and take on this scum mafia.

The motorcycles are complaining, but not directly pointing fingers because in many districts its highly likely the Red Shirt Mercenaries, and their political associates that are collecting the protection money.

Must feel pretty stupid to vote for a political party, only to find out when they are in office they will "tax" you until their is nothing left.

I thought the they were the mafia!

They certainly act that way.

Mafia attacks mafia is how it should be. That way the public are left out of it.

Why would anyone want the name 'Chalerm'?

He, his sons and cronies are the mafia.

Chalerm will fix this in 5 minutes, I have no doubt, all he needs to do is another nepotism bing and appoint of his own bully sons to the situation.

Forget tablets for kids, forget 'one-man' national reconciliation bills, and so called 'vice suppression' in Bangkok, even forget arguing about the constitution for a bit.

The way that everyday, normal Thai people are cheated, conned and plain out robbed by organised criminals is a national disgrace. Meanwhile the crooks get richer and the 'authorities' are happy to stand by idly, if not profit from the extortion.

This is something that the Yingluck government should treat as a top priority, not just for the taxi drivers but for Thais in all walks of life. Doing so might just lead to deserved land-slide wins in years to come. It shouldn't even cost very much- just sack and prosecute every police officer who would rather accept money than do their job, which after all is to serve the public.

Why would they,

when you are top of the food chain as they are at present

a percentage of ALL spoils comes their way in the old feudal manner.

Edited by animatic

Perhaps the motorcycle taxi boys should avail themselves of the Red Shirts mercenaries and take on this scum mafia.

The motorcycles are complaining, but not directly pointing fingers because in many districts its highly likely the Red Shirt Mercenaries, and their political associates that are collecting the protection money.

Must feel pretty stupid to vote for a political party, only to find out when they are in office they will "tax" you until their is nothing left.

Silly ignorant post trying to make political points.

The "mafia" collecting the money are the authorities themselves. They would never allow private criminal groups in on the action and this has been going on long before the so called red shirts became a political force so please stop guessing that they are behind this.

The standard charge is 100-150 Baht/day if you want to work. It goes to the local police.

I have and most of you, have been waiting for this to happen.

it is happening slowly but surely. The worm is turning.

The thai people are learning to say NO, its slow but its happening.

Hopefully this goverment will keep taking from their people, pushing and pushing until the people start to push back.

i definitely feel change in the making. Hopefully this is the begining of the end.

Or I could very well be dreaming and talking out of my ass. After all this is Thailand.

Viva la revolution !......... or not. intheclub.gif

mafia = red shirts... funny that this is not actually mentioned in the article. As it comes from TAN, if there were even a hint that the extortion was coming from the red shirts, TAN would have found a way to paraphrase it into the article (even if it is a translation).

The only indication of who the extortionists are is the statement regarding the military and the politicians.

As for me, it is good to see more exposure of corruption. When corruption is pervasive, it is hard to deal with. People need courage to step forward and take a stand.

I personally really appreciate the service that the motorbike taxis provide. It is not a great job, and I hope that they are successful in fighting this problem.

Thais should be having a political movement such as in India where there have been demonstrations against corruption-putting pressure on government officials. (and bringing out this topic to the public --hard to turn your head when there are thousands in the streets demonstrating against corruption).

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.

You can't combat the pervasive corruption in Thailand without a proactive press. In most supposedly democratic or quasi-democratic nations, it's been the press evangelizing causes and doing the footwork. Documenting facts, calling out the offenders, pursuing them relentlessly, investigating thoroughly, inspiring judges and stand up individuals to put their foot down, and all of the things needed to increase awareness until public sentiment shifts and corrective actions happen. The press in Thailand is worthless as far as pursuing social change and fixing the broken parts. They are great at carping and whining and glossing over the issues, but weak and ineffective in their responsibility. Journalists and editors in many countries have risked their lives to go up against corrupt police, army, political systems, and drug, human trafficking, and prostitution cartels. The Thai press does nothing more than enable the gangster mentality and erosion of Thailand to that of a failed state.

Dunno, but the numbers don't add up for me. Paying 60k a month means 2,000 a day, which is 100 trips @ 20 baht before you've even started paying your petrol, which means 10 trips an hour during a 10 hour shift, or one every 6 minutes. Unlikely. It's a free world, and a question of economics, if the protection fees were unreasonable and you couldn't make a living fewer would volunteer for this work. I'm not defending the practice, I'm criticising this writer for not running the numbers through his head before blithely quoting.

Why would Chalerm even bring up the topic? It just highlights the ineptitude of the police under the new chief, which he so vigorously pushed into office. Doesn't make much sense, this one he can't spin around and make the previous governement look bad (without actually solving the problem), or do I miss something? blink.png

Forget tablets for kids, forget 'one-man' national reconciliation bills, and so called 'vice suppression' in Bangkok, even forget arguing about the constitution for a bit.

The way that everyday, normal Thai people are cheated, conned and plain out robbed by organised criminals is a national disgrace. Meanwhile the crooks get richer and the 'authorities' are happy to stand by idly, if not profit from the extortion.

This is something that the Yingluck government should treat as a top priority, not just for the taxi drivers but for Thais in all walks of life. Doing so might just lead to deserved land-slide wins in years to come. It shouldn't even cost very much- just sack and prosecute every police officer who would rather accept money than do their job, which after all is to serve the public.

A squad of police called the UNTOUCHABLES

a modern day Elliott Ness

I am not surprised by the claims of protection fees. I am however surprised that the head of a group of motorcycle taxi riders has come and spoken out publicly about it. I hope his head isn't next in line for removal.

Unfortunately, I am 99% sure that the next part of this story will be that they have found K. Chalerm stuffed inside an old oil drum. It takes balls to stand up and say something - and I hope that all turns out for the best.

• Like 1

Yep, too many "dark forces" operating in Thailand. Scary really for those bringing up kids here