Somebody drove into the back of my car and .I had to hire a vehicle for a week while miy car was repaiired costing 7,000 baht I have been unable to recover this money from the other party or there insurance company and a laywer I consulted advises to forget it as his letters to them are unanswered Iin the Uk I would be able to recover the cost care hire and any out of pocket expense (,Legal fees) in the small claims court is there any similar set up in Thailand As I have tried unsuccessfully to get this information from the lawer .I would like to hear from anyone who might be able to tell me what to do

In Thailand people seem to go first file a complaint (press charges) with the local police department in hopes the police department will press some type charge against the individual unless they pay compensation. But I don't think police get very interested in vehicle accidents unless a major injury or death has occurred...and even then they may not show much, if any, continuing interest. I know Thailand does have a civil court system where such claims can be filed, but I rarely hear of any Thai's going that route because I guess it takes a long time and Thai's know other Thai's will drag their feet/won't appear at the court actions/just won't pay, because there don't seem to be much of a follow-on enforcement because it's harder than hell to get police interested in enforcing a lot of small amount court judgments unless there is something in it for them (i.e., tea money).

Many Thai's only carry the compulsory insurance (costs around 700 baht/year) required by law and required to get their yearly vehicle tax/registration window sticker. The compulsory insurance only provides a very low level of medical coverage...about enough to pay for one visit to the hospital and some band aids.

When it comes to protecting yourself financially for vehicle accidents, a person needs to have their own first class insurance policy because you can bet most Thai's and are not going to have any type of insurance beyond the compulsory insurance.

Hi there,

Around 7 years ago, I sued a landlord in the Bangkok civil court once in order to reclaim a room rental deposit. At that time, the lawyer's fee for a one day appearance plus all the case-filing fees was around B10,000. I won the case, but there was no award made in terms of the legal fees, which I understand is the case for petty matters like this. So, if you are willing to fork out ten grand plus in lawyer fees in order to get back only seven, then yes, it is an option for you.

As Unique commented above, good advice from your lawyer - I would definitely let it go.