Car Tax And Insurance

doctormann

Hi

I'm in a state of some confusion regarding re-taxing and re-insuring my car so maybe someone out there can help.

When I bought my car from Honda, last January, they arranged to register and tax it and also to sort out the compulsary and first class insurances. All of these items will be up for renewal next month but I'm unsure about the procedure and things are further complicated because I have moved address in the interim. All the documents still have my old address on them.

So, presumably, I have to go to the vehicle registration office (in Pattaya I believe that it's the same place that you go for driving licences) with all the relevant documents.

I have the registration book and receipts for both the compulsary and first class insurances that Honda obtained previously. Presumably I will also need copies of passport, photos, and yet another letter from Immigration certifying my address? I am assuming that the tax and compulsary insurance will be sorted at the registration office and that I will have to contact the insurance company directly for the first class insurance. Is this right?

I get the impression, looking at the various bits of paper that I have and trying to interpret them with my fairly limited Thai language skills, that the renewal dates are inconsistent. I suspect that this is something to do with the temporary registration (red number plates) that was in force initially. Certainly the registration date in the blue registration book post-dates the others by several weeks.

I know roughly how much the first class ins. will cost but the cost of the tax and compulsary insurance is not obvious (to me, at least). Any info. on this for a private car, petrol fueled, 1.5 litre engine capacity?

Any help here would be much appreciated. I'm confused and I do want to stay legal and insured up to the hilt.

Thanks

DM :o

Tax renewal should be around 2,000 Baht and around a Grand for the compulsary govt insurance.

You can go to the land transport dept to get it renewed or maybe Honda where you bought it can sort it out for you.

When we do tax renewals for our clients all we need is a copy of the rego book if the car is under 7 years old.

Hi

I'm in a state of some confusion regarding re-taxing and re-insuring my car so maybe someone out there can help.

When I bought my car from Honda, last January, they arranged to register and tax it and also to sort out the compulsary and first class insurances.  All of these items will be up for renewal next month but I'm unsure about the procedure and things are further complicated because I have moved address in the interim.  All the documents still have my old address on them.

So, presumably, I have to go to the vehicle registration office (in Pattaya I believe that it's the same place that you go for driving licences) with all the relevant documents.

I have the registration book and receipts for both the compulsary and first class insurances that Honda obtained previously.  Presumably I will also need copies of passport, photos, and yet another letter from Immigration certifying my address?  I am assuming that the tax and compulsary insurance will be sorted at the registration office and that I will have to contact the insurance company directly for the first class insurance.  Is this right?

I get the impression, looking at the various bits of paper that I have and trying to interpret them with my fairly limited Thai language skills, that the renewal dates are inconsistent.  I suspect that this is something to do with the temporary registration (red number plates) that was in force initially.  Certainly the registration date in the blue registration book post-dates the others by several weeks.

I know roughly how much the first class ins. will cost but the cost of the tax and compulsary insurance is not obvious (to me, at least).  Any info. on this for a private car, petrol fueled, 1.5 litre engine capacity?

Any help here would be much appreciated.  I'm confused and I do want to stay legal and insured up to the hilt.

Thanks

The easiest way is to take the reg. book to the first class ins. agency and they will do everything for you. Your 1st class ins. will be expiring anyway. For out of province stickers the cost is 60bht. Book will come back in 2-3 days.

DM  :o

• 8 months later...

Folks,

As my insurance is dated 25 nov, and the blue book registration date is 23 dec,when do i go to the insurance agency? i'm not in LOS now, so trying to figure out when is the best time to come to LOS to renew the insurance & road tax. Is there any penalty for late renewal i.e. Jan07? Any advice is appreciated.