Told I Should Replace My Tyres Because They Are Too Old!

Greenside

Back to the topic of replacing tires, it seems the jury is out as to when to replace vis a vis age. How about mileage? Based on 'normal' driving conditions (ie keeping to speed limit, no hard braking, no weaving, no wheel spin starts), how many kms is a normal tire good for?

The original tryes on my wife's Yaris lasted barely 40,000kms while the exact same trye on my Vios lasted 60,000, so I guess the answer is the same as to the question 'how long is a piece of string?'

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My Honda City is coming up on 60,000 km/ & 3 yrs old in a few months. It has the original Bridgestone Turanza 175/65 R 15s on custom wheels. To the eye, the tires look good, plenty of tread, but fading a bit, do not yet appear to be drying out. I haven't measured the tread. I asked the guy at the tire shop a few weeks ago, and he said they looked good to go 80k.

Most of my driving is long distance, the car is about 70/30 kept in shade/sunlight.

First, should I consider any different size of 15", or brand, and is there any good reason to replace them now rather than wait? This seems like very good performance in this Bridgestone.

I see the bridgestone duellers are the OEM brand for many pickups here. Is 40-50K kms reasonable for these? And what is the best pickup tire to replace them with when they are worn out (best for performance / comfort on hard terrain)?

there are still 2 different duellers around

simplest is look at Pajero sport

the 2wd use the old duellers, crap tyres with no traction

the 4x4 use the 2008 design, same as vigo/tuna top spec, lighter steering, much better traction, more quiet.

lifetime 80-110k km both, but none more than 3 yearscowboy.gif

I see the bridgestone duellers are the OEM brand for many pickups here. Is 40-50K kms reasonable for these? And what is the best pickup tire to replace them with when they are worn out (best for performance / comfort on hard terrain)?

the 4x4 use the 2008 design, same as vigo/tuna top spec, lighter steering, much better traction, more quiet.

So what about my 2005 duelers on my 4x4 auto 4d Vigo from new. rolleyes.gif

Is the for ranger / mazda bt50 4x4 using the new design? Would hope so!

My Duelers wore very well. They had nearly 90,000 KM on them when I replaced them. They still have about 50 percent tread left. They did get hard after 7 years and became dangerous. They had poor traction on wet roads.

Unless duelers composition was change in 2005, no-way on a 4x4 Vigo, is your ride a car or a Truck ?

My OEM Bridgestone Duelers had/have about 88,000 plus kilometers on them. They were on a 2004 Nissan Frontier. I do drive like I have some sense and to verify that, my truck still has the original brakes. They are 225/70 R15 tires. I replaced them with Dunlap 235/75 R15 AT 22 Grandtreks. The Duelers are stacked beside my garage because they will be quite useful for wagon or trailer tires.

If someone has an old rag of a truck they are still a good matched set of tires but not good for driving in the rain. Actually they still look good with minimal weather checking because my truck is always parked under roof and seldom in the sun. The tread wear is nice and even because I keep my wheels laser aligned.

Edited by Gary A

My Duelers wore very well. They had nearly 90,000 KM on them when I replaced them. They still have about 50 percent tread left. They did get hard after 7 years and became dangerous. They had poor traction on wet roads.

Unless duelers composition was change in 2005, no-way on a 4x4 Vigo, is your ride a car or a Truck ?

My OEM Bridgestone Duelers had/have about 88,000 plus kilometers on them. They were on a 2004 Nissan Frontier. I do drive like I have some sense and to verify that, my truck still has the original brakes. They are 225/70 R15 tires. I replaced them with Dunlap 235/75 R15 AT 22 Grandtreks. The Duelers are stacked beside my garage because they will be quite useful for wagon or trailer tires.

If someone has an old rag of a truck they are still a good matched set of tires but not good for driving in the rain. Actually they still look good with minimal weather checking because my truck is always parked under roof and seldom in the sun. The tread wear is nice and even because I keep my wheels laser aligned.

Interesting, the plot thickens, so what's this about tyres in Thailand then forum guru's. whistling.gif

I think my present tyres are lasting longer because they have nitrogen in them. hit-the-fan.giflaugh.png

Edited by Kwasaki

Only thing I'll add is this:

Goodyear owns Dunlop, and Goodyear is their premium brand..

Likewise, Michelin own Bridgestone, with Michelin being their premium brand... they also hold a majority stake in Yokohama, and that's their performance brand...

I hate to contradict you MRO as i know you are in the" business " but i read something different all the time.

Michelin owns BFG, Uniroyal, Kleber

Bridgestone owns Firestone, Dayton

Goodyear owns Dunlop

Continental owns General, Hoosier

http://www.neilkline.../whoownswho.htm

Michelin (French pronunciation: [miʃlɛ̃]; English: /ˈmɪʃəlɪn/ or /ˈmɪtʃəlɪn/; full name: SCA Compagnie Générale des Établissements Michelin) is a tyre manufacturer based in Clermont-Ferrand in the Auvergne région of France. It is one of the two largest tyre manufacturers in the world along with Bridgestone.[2] In addition to the Michelin brand, it also owns the BFGoodrich, Kleber, Riken, Kormoran and Uniroyal (in North America) tyre brands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelin

By the way did you know that bridgestone once was a motorcycle manufacturer.

At last, someone who knows what they are talking about!

PS: I find it rather amusing that none of the big brands have a Chinese named tyre in their portfolio, but all make tyres in China!

Is the for ranger / mazda bt50 4x4 using the new design? Would hope so!

mazda bt50 at 17" new duellers

ranger 16" dunlops, I have no experience with these but they look more offroad

dunlop has made a large supply deal with mazda/ford Th

Likewise, Michelin own Bridgestone, with Michelin being their premium brand... they also hold a majority stake in Yokohama, and that's their performance brand...

I hate to contradict you MRO as i know you are in the" business " but i read something different all the time.

Goodyear owns Dunlop

Michelin (French pronunciation: [miʃlɛ̃]; English: /ˈmɪʃəlɪn/ or /ˈmɪtʃəlɪn/; full name: SCA Compagnie Générale des Établissements Michelin) is a tyre manufacturer based in Clermont-Ferrand in the Auvergne région of France. It is one of the two largest tyre manufacturers in the world along with Bridgestone.[2] In addition to the Michelin brand, it also owns the BFGoodrich, Kleber, Riken, Kormoran and Uniroyal (in North America) tyre brands.

PS: I find it rather amusing that none of the big brands have a Chinese named tyre in their portfolio, but all make tyres in China!

plenty of chinese tyres in Th, my neighbor has a mazda2 with chinese 17" 35 or 40 profile, 2 have them have delaminated. dangerous stuff

Goodyear owns Dunlop

:cheesy: Even the Chinese don't name their products with Chinese names!

Goodyear owns Dunlop

cheesy.gif Even the Chinese don't name their products with Chinese names!

Zhengxing = 正兴 this name sounds pretty much like Chinese to me.biggrin.png

Edited by Kwasaki

Goodyear owns Dunlop

cheesy.gif Even the Chinese don't name their products with Chinese names!

Yeah how about Emaux, Nokia, Hummer, Volvo, and on and on smile.png .....

to be fair, I have quiet a few Sony sound systems made in China, some of the up to 10 yo, so not all crap

the thing with tyres, any point of importing chinese tyres to Th, they must be dirt cheap. so dirt shit crap tyres

to be fair, I have quiet a few Sony sound systems made in China, some of the up to 10 yo, so not all crap

the thing with tyres, any point of importing chinese tyres to Th, they must be dirt cheap. so dirt shit crap tyres

I never said anything about crap.. I said the Chinese know all too well of their reputation in the world market and often don't name even their own brands anything that is close to a Chinese name outside of their own market especially if they want to stand away from their country's offerings, it's often something innocuous or sounds like it's American or European.. Then of course there are those they bought or produce for others which in theory are Chinese too but under the required specs.. And instead of proudly displaying the "made in China" label right on it openly you often have to look very intently to find that label if at all..

I also have several pneumatic tools that have now traveled around the world first being imported half way to the states where I purchased them and now brought back here with me that are much older then your Sony and get beat all the time.. They were very inexpensive but I figured they'd be throw away at that price anyways so no real loss but they are still getting the job done after years of abuse at the track and at the shop. Well not too much abuse, I take good care of my tools but at the moment sometimes they get abused in the heat of the action..

Conversely yesterday a bought a new video to digital hardware unit for my computer to convert my hours of racing videos to digital and it doesn't work so it's a turkey shoot but it doesn't have the Sony name or oversight in it..

Edited by WarpSpeed

I never said anything about crap.. I said the Chinese know all too well of their reputation in the world market and often don't name even their own brands anything that is close to a Chinese name outside of their own market especially if the want to stand away from their country's offerings, it's often something innocuous or sounds like it's American or European.. Then of course there are those they bought or produce for others which in theory are Chinese too but under the required specs.. And instead of proudly displaying the "made in China" label right on it openly you often have to look very intently to find that label if at all..

Like Bridgestone?

But Zhengxing is a tyre. !!

But is it available branded like that out of China? Never heard of it....BUT I don't profess to have heard of every insignificant tire brand either..

Edited by WarpSpeed

I never said anything about crap.. I said the Chinese know all too well of their reputation in the world market and often don't name even their own brands anything that is close to a Chinese name outside of their own market especially if the want to stand away from their country's offerings, it's often something innocuous or sounds like it's American or European.. Then of course there are those they bought or produce for others which in theory are Chinese too but under the required specs.. And instead of proudly displaying the "made in China" label right on it openly you often have to look very intently to find that label if at all..

Like Bridgestone?

10 years back l paid 150 English for a pair of Rock Port Boots (USA). On close inspection, made in China ohmy.png , l have personally resoled them and are as good as new now. cowboy.gif

To answer your question directly:

yes, if your tires are to old you should/must change them.

Rubber has an expire period, after that they are prone to cracking and chipping off chunks.

but if you dont go high speed (under 50km) you should be ok if you maintain it well. (depending ofcourse how old the tire is)

Rubber has an expire period, after that they are prone to cracking and chipping off chunks.

but if you dont go high speed (under 50km) you should be ok if you maintain it well. (depending ofcourse how old the tire is)

Yes rubber has an expire period apparently between 2 year & 20 year.biggrin.png

Correct. biggrin.png

Have to say though I wouldn't be making a trip to the grocery store on a tire 20 years old let alone dragging it down a race track on a big heavy car ohmy.png ..

Edited by WarpSpeed