Told I Should Replace My Tyres Because They Are Too Old!

Greenside

I'd be most concerned if there is ozone cracking the sidewall rubber. I had ozone affected tyres on my old trailer back home. One day I went to the garden centre for a load of loam (soil). The loader driver tipped the bucket and dropped the load and BANG! One tyre, then the other! It didn't make my day.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think tire life depends on maintenance to some extent; most people know someone who's had a timing belt break prematurely (or it's happened to them) but who's ever bought a can of belt dressing spray? It's sold everywhere but virtually no-one bothers with it until they hear squeaking occur. It's the same with tires; my set of Michelin tires are in excellent condition at 60,000km after 5 years and I think some of this is because I use Sonax rubber maintenance spray; it's only 120b from places like Amorn or Big C. I don't have a nice car but I'm somewhat of a 'driveway detailer' and I know a little bit about clay bars, sealants and waxes for the bodywork. For tires, I'd never use any tire sprays, they tend to discolor the rubber, even brand-name ones like Meguiar's. Never let car wash places use that awful blackening stuff on the tires. You use the Sonax spray soaked into a rag and it works great on door seals too.

I must confess that the front tyres on my Pontiac street/strip/show car were on there for 20 years, OK never saw much mileage but...................biggrin.png

I think tires in North America were reformulated to better facilitate decomposition in landfills, and I believe that’s why the age of has become more critical.

Very possible though my understanding is that they have never been dumped in land fills to the voids they create hence the huge stock piles of tires around the country and why it's spawned so many recycling technologies. The one I see the most promise in is one I had in mind years ago and that's shredding them up and returning them to the road so to speak by adding the contents to pavement to strengthen it....

That's what's wrong with ALL plastics these days but it seems some have decided that's a great way for them to make more money and exploit the law and have taken it to extremes in that they (meaning rubbers and plastics) break down well before their shelf life should be realized.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Now that were on the topic of tires, are there any particular brand to watch out for or are they all very similar?

I need new sets of tires since the marking on my tire wall states 2007.

Any brand recommendations for my little Yaris?

Edited by tangcoral

Now that were on the topic of tires, are there any particular brand to watch out for or are they all very similar?

I need new sets of tires since the marking on my tire wall states 2007.

Any brand recommendations for my little Yaris?

If you are on 15 inchers, I d say any major brand name is ok. Not very much difference. My december 2011 Mazda2 came with Dunlops, a nice change to all the Michelins and Bridgestones, handles well and is quiet, but at 1500km its to soon to say if its any better in the long (3 year) run. My previous cars on Bridgestones and Michelins have all started sqeeling at 6-9 months old, and a noticable reduced traction

I would stay away from the od names and chinese tyres, made in TH and check manufatoring date on tyre before accepting them installed

Only thing I'll add is this:

Goodyear owns Dunlop, and Goodyear is their premium brand..

Likewise, Michelin own Bridgestone, with Michelin being their premium brand... they also hold a majority stake in Yokohama, and that's their performance brand...

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Likewise, Michelin own Bridgestone, with Michelin being their premium brand... they also hold a majority stake in Yokohama, and that's their performance brand...

and I want to ad, Goodyear/Dunlop has done a remarkable job past 1.5 year getting makers to use them over Michelin/Bridgestones. at cheap as chips stock tyres I do find their products better.

but still, its all same samegiggle.gif

I have 205/70R15 BRIDGESTONE DUELER tyres on a 2000 Model Toyota Sportrider and recently noticed squealling when doing u turns. I will inspect tomorrow. Whilst they are still street legal they are getting down on tread.

What is a reasonable price range for the above type of tyre.

Any suggestions on other makes/brand, rough costs etc would be apprecaited.

Our location is Udon Thani

Likewise, Michelin own Bridgestone, with Michelin being their premium brand

Really, are you sure about that? Why was Michelin and Bridgestone competing in F1 if they are part of the same corporation?

Sophon

Not so unusual as a matter of fact, it does happen as even though the same parent company most are still operated as separate entities case and point look at Infiniti (Nissan) advertising on a Renault powered Redbull.

I have 205/70R15 BRIDGESTONE DUELER tyres on a 2000 Model Toyota Sportrider and recently noticed squealling when doing u turns. I will inspect tomorrow. Whilst they are still street legal they are getting down on tread.

Here ya go.. Not sure if the have a location up your way I think they do but anyway it'll give you an idea of cost as they're as competitive as any.

http://www.b-quik.com/en/index.php

Edited by WarpSpeed

I hate to contradict you MRO as i know you are in the" business " but i read something different all the time.

Michelin owns BFG, Uniroyal, Kleber

Bridgestone owns Firestone, Dayton

Goodyear owns Dunlop

Continental owns General, Hoosier

http://www.neilkline.../whoownswho.htm

Michelin (French pronunciation: [miʃlɛ̃]; English: /ˈmɪʃəlɪn/ or /ˈmɪtʃəlɪn/; full name: SCA Compagnie Générale des Établissements Michelin) is a tyre manufacturer based in Clermont-Ferrand in the Auvergne région of France. It is one of the two largest tyre manufacturers in the world along with Bridgestone.[2] In addition to the Michelin brand, it also owns the BFGoodrich, Kleber, Riken, Kormoran and Uniroyal (in North America) tyre brands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelin

By the way did you know that bridgestone once was a motorcycle manufacturer.

Edited by janverbeem

I hate to contradict you MRO as i know you are in the" business " but i read something different all the time.

Michelin owns BFG, Uniroyal, Kleber

Bridgestone owns Firestone, Dayton

Goodyear owns Dunlop

Continental owns General, Hoosier

http://www.neilkline.../whoownswho.htm

Michelin (French pronunciation: [miʃlɛ̃]; English: /ˈmɪʃəlɪn/ or /ˈmɪtʃəlɪn/; full name: SCA Compagnie Générale des Établissements Michelin) is a tyre manufacturer based in Clermont-Ferrand in the Auvergne région of France. It is one of the two largest tyre manufacturers in the world along with Bridgestone.[2] In addition to the Michelin brand, it also owns the BFGoodrich, Kleber, Riken, Kormoran and Uniroyal (in North America) tyre brands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelin

By the way did you know that bridgestone once was a motorcycle manufacturer.

That does sound right to me too, I thought the other was not quite right in terms of Bridgestone and their associated companies and Michelin, honestly the Hoosier connection is news to me as Hoosier was independent as long as I was using them on the track so that must be a new development over the last few years with Continental purchasing them..

Here ya go.. Not sure if the have a location up your way I think they do but anyway it'll give you an idea of cost as they're as competitive as any.

Thank you for your reply with the Web address it has given me an idea on what is available and pricing.

They do have a location approximately 125 km's from our location here in Udon Thani.

Thank you for your reply with the Web address it has given me an idea on what is available and pricing.

They do have a location approximately 125 km's from our location here in Udon Thani.

You're welcome it'd probably be worth the trip to cut out the riff raff.

Likewise, Michelin own Bridgestone, with Michelin being their premium brand

Really, are you sure about that? Why was Michelin and Bridgestone competing in F1 if they are part of the same corporation?

Sophon

Not so unusual as a matter of fact, it does happen as even though the same parent company most are still operated as separate entities case and point look at Infiniti (Nissan) advertising on a Renault powered Redbull.

Yes !! but l see there's like a double wammy read into the following.

In 2007, Casey Stoner on Bridgestone tyres won the world championship in dominating fashion, and Valentino Rossi and other top riders complained that Michelins were inferior. Rossi wanted Bridgestones for the 2008 season, but Bridgestone was reluctant to provide them; Dorna threatened to impose a control tyre on the series, after which Bridgestone relented.

Back to the topic of replacing tires, it seems the jury is out as to when to replace vis a vis age. How about mileage? Based on 'normal' driving conditions (ie keeping to speed limit, no hard braking, no weaving, no wheel spin starts), how many kms is a normal tire good for?

Back to the topic of replacing tires, it seems the jury is out as to when to replace vis a vis age. How about mileage? Based on 'normal' driving conditions (ie keeping to speed limit, no hard braking, no weaving, no wheel spin starts), how many kms is a normal tire good for?

Your asking, ''if grand ma was driving'' how many.............wai.gif

Your asking, ''if grand ma was driving'' how many.............wai.gif

laugh.png. Actually I'm asking, "if a smart, intelligent, experienced driver, who has lots to live for and no need to show off, who has seen more than his fair share of idiots / buffaloes on the side of roads, in ditches, wrapped around trees, turned turtle, smashed beyond recognition, splattered all over the tarmac, missing body parts......". Believe it or not, I even have a BHT 8,000 child seat which will be replaced by a booster seat in a few years time.

I'm only normal when other people in car, would say more contrary when alone or what ever mood takes me.

I don't think about mileage or age of tyres, I keep tyres for as long as I am able to.

Other guys with high mileage and using different tyres have answered this question before.

My take for what it's worth is 2005 Had Vigo 4x4 auto and some Bridgestone duelers ran them till almost bald at 4years old and 40,000km.

Someone I knew 2006 had Michelin Vigo Prerunner 100,000km only half worn.

Believe it or not, I even have a BHT 8,000 child seat which will be replaced by a booster seat in a few years time.

Or maybe an injector seat would be better as long as it detect underpasses.biggrin.png

Edited by Kwasaki

I see the bridgestone duellers are the OEM brand for many pickups here. Is 40-50K kms reasonable for these? And what is the best pickup tire to replace them with when they are worn out (best for performance / comfort on hard terrain)?

I see the bridgestone duellers are the OEM brand for many pickups here. Is 40-50K kms reasonable for these? And what is the best pickup tire to replace them with when they are worn out (best for performance / comfort on hard terrain)?

My Duelers wore very well. They had nearly 90,000 KM on them when I replaced them. They still have about 50 percent tread left. They did get hard after 7 years and became dangerous. They had poor traction on wet roads.

My Duelers wore very well. They had nearly 90,000 KM on them when I replaced them. They still have about 50 percent tread left. They did get hard after 7 years and became dangerous. They had poor traction on wet roads.

Unless duelers composition was change in 2005, no-way on a 4x4 Vigo, is your ride a car or a Truck ?

KBB and MRO are on it, its the UV that deteriorates the rubber. Transam is on it, manufacturers warrant the product for many years BUT only when stored appropriately ie no uv, no extreme heat.

Manufacturer do NOT design tires for the Thai market exclusively. they live from exports and not from the tiny Thai market. The Sumitomo factory here is good for 60,000 tires per day, that's 3 times local demand. Not talking about Goodyear, Bridgestone, Michelin, Maxxis, Yokohama and local manufacturers yet. My estimate is that roughly 8% of local production stays in Thailand, and they wont make special batches of tires for that.

So i'd say, buy new ones every year, but might be biased.....

More realistic is to keep an eye on dry rot, and 3 years with a car used daily or stored outside is about the maximum in my opinion.

hak

Wouldn't they make different specs of tyres for say the US Arizona market as compared to say the US Alaska market?

Or taken globally, tyres in Saudi Arabia should be different to those in Siberia?

So tyres in Thailand should be different specs to those in UK/Europe?