Told I Should Replace My Tyres Because They Are Too Old!

Greenside

In the 90's living in Portugal came across a cheap Citroen DS23. for me no question or thought bought it on the spot, have owned 2 before some year before, anyone that knows the Algarve back then would know that other than the main road, all the 2nd [by] roads were far worse than Thailand, so like 4 years of off roading....... drove it to the UK, had a puncture, little garage repaired on the spot, looks at the spare and said as it was new to put this on the car, 30 mins later on the M5 doing 70 this Tyre burst.. yes it was Brand new 15 years before and never been on the road.. .. So a brand new old tyre could well be un-roadworthy

Some years later bought a new Saxo VTS,.. 1 year later needed new tyres, had Michelin new long lasting type fitted, 5 months they lasted, went back and was given a refund and new Michelin fitted, understand there was a problem with the 'new' long lasting tyres [very short lasting] also at the time a Michelin sales rep was in the Tyre place, sure that was the reason of the refund..

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just an update to round off this old thread...

I replaced all four Bridgestone tyres with a new set of Dunlops and it has improved the handling hugely and removed the squealing too. It turned out I needed a new shock absorber so that added to the cost but the D-Max has been cheap to maintain in all so I don't begrudge the extra.

So it looks like you should be considering a new set of tyres between 50 & 60,000 km or about 3 or four years as they really do seem to degrade independently of tread wear.

Hmmmmmmm, you replaced you boots with a different manufacturers boots.

noooooooooooo comparison. IF, you replaced your boots with the same tyre THEN, you can say what you think folk must/should do.

I have a Ford Ranger fitted with Firestone tyres that were 4 years old and hard and squealer ... recently changed them for exactly the same brand.. but 2012 tyres.... WOW..WHAT an improvement.

Just look out for the cracks, don't worry about the mileage.

The best thing to do is to check them every week or so.

It's the same with oil changes, just because you aren't doing the mileage it's still a good idea to change the oil & filters on a regular basis.

10,000 km's max. for a diesel or about 3 months whichever comes first.

Is 1.6 mm treat depth suitable for tropical monsoonal countries? This is a very low depth and i dont think this would be safe on badly flooded roads here. Mind you most of mine have needed replacing before getting to this depth, mainly from uneven wear caused by lowered suspension.

BTW, just replaced the tires on one of my cars 10,000 kms ago. I noticed in the booklet from Cockpit they recommended rotating them every 10k. This seems too soon. I was thinking of doing it maybe at about 20-30. Any opinions?

I was doing this every 10K km...it will help to wear them more evenly...but that was also because this was the time to service and oil change.Now I need to change oil every 15K km,so I may just do the rotation at the same time...

The main thing is to actually look at your tires when you are checking the pressure and try to see any problems before is to late.

Edited by funcat

If your tyres are squealling it means they are sliding, not necessarily a bad thing

I remember my Suzuki Vitara came with Bridgestone tyres and they always squealled under stress

but the slide was very gentle and controlled.

Around 60-70000km I had to replace them and chose Dunlop.

No squeal, but I had the feeling that once they did start to slide it would

be sudden and possibly catastrophic

You're lucky it's a Suzuki. That way people offer you advise. If you started with "My Cruze tires are squealing" you'll get a bunch of posts telling you how shit it is. Rebadged Daewoo.

Apparently all cars can have problems except the Cruze.

I am having more and more doubts about the uv and heat being a major factor here. Australia has some of the strictest vehicle safety regulations there are. It also has great extremes of temperature much higher than Thailand and a UV exposure much higher because of the humidity here.

There are no regulation I know about tyre age. There are about tread depth. Tyres are often retreated several times. The limitation with these is that they do not exceed 120km/hr for long periods.

On the web I have found no references to 3 years from any manafacture, only from a few dealers here. I have found manafacturer refences saying it is safe to install tyres with a shelf life of over 5 years and full warantee applies.

I do think that with time damage can occur so tyres do need inspection but I doubt the claims they must be replaced after 3 years or they are unsafe.

• Like 1

I am having more and more doubts about the uv and heat being a major factor here. Australia has some of the strictest vehicle safety regulations there are. It also has great extremes of temperature much higher than Thailand and a UV exposure much higher because of the humidity here.

There are no regulation I know about tyre age. There are about tread depth. Tyres are often retreated several times. The limitation with these is that they do not exceed 120km/hr for long periods.

On the web I have found no references to 3 years from any manafacture, only from a few dealers here. I have found manafacturer refences saying it is safe to install tyres with a shelf life of over 5 years and full warantee applies.

I do think that with time damage can occur so tyres do need inspection but I doubt the claims they must be replaced after 3 years or they are unsafe.

There's a huge difference between shelf life and on the car life. The manufacturer will say 5 years presuming the Tyre is in the shade an cool warehouse. If you park you car under cover it will increase the life of most components including tyres.

My own personal experience is that tyres do indeed go hard quickly here... don't know for sure why!

sent from my Q6

You guys are mispelling the word "Tire". You're all English for sure.

That explains the love for rusty fords, hatchbacks and the pretentious boloney.

You really are becoming a bit of a <deleted>. Is that what happens in a pee soaked Cruze.. ammonia build up affecting your good sense?

By the way tyres is not a misspelling but mispelling is:D

sent from my Q6

If your tyres are squealling it means they are sliding, not necessarily a bad thing

I remember my Suzuki Vitara came with Bridgestone tyres and they always squealled under stress

but the slide was very gentle and controlled.

Around 60-70000km I had to replace them and chose Dunlop.

No squeal, but I had the feeling that once they did start to slide it would

be sudden and possibly catastrophic

You're lucky it's a Suzuki. That way people offer you advise. If you started with "My Cruze tires are squealing" you'll get a bunch of posts telling you how shit it is. Rebadged Daewoo.

Apparently all cars can have problems except the Cruze.

Are you so unhappy of life that you must always crave approval of others? If you are happy with Cruze, Daewoo or whatever... so much the better. Why carrying out a sort of feud against the owners of other cars?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect App

Tyre is correct.......Quote...Therefore since America is still by law a Brittish Colony it is spelt Tyre. Britain is Mother to all of the Western world.

Tire is your sleepy........

​There again is it Donuts or Doughnuts ??

post-42643-0-42690000-1352517152_thumb.j

Always has been

post-42643-0-86611900-1352517393_thumb.j

Edited by ignis

You guys are mispelling the word "Tire". You're all English for sure.

That explains the love for rusty fords, hatchbacks and the pretentious boloney.

You really are becoming a bit of a <deleted>. Is that what happens in a pee soaked Cruze.. ammonia build up affecting your good sense?

By the way tyres is not a misspelling but mispelling is:D

sent from my Q6

And what is ''boloney'' coffee1.gif Did l read somewhere TC is a teacher. w00t.gif

There's a huge difference between shelf life and on the car life. The manufacturer will say 5 years presuming the Tyre is in the shade an cool warehouse. If you park you car under cover it will increase the life of most components including tyres.

My own personal experience is that tyres do indeed go hard quickly here... don't know for sure why!

sent from my Q6

depends on th compound.

sent from my Q6

depends on th compound.

Correct, but sure manufacturers in LOS have come up with compounds to take into consideration heat probs.

I have 2 tyres on my ride now 5 year old, noooooo degrading at all, even the canvas looks like new. laugh.png

sent from my Q6

depends on th compound.

Correct, but sure manufacturers in LOS have come up with compounds to take into consideration heat probs.

I have 2 tyres on my ride now 5 year old, noooooo degrading at all, even the canvas looks like new. laugh.png

...so,what about the other two laugh.pngwink.png

sent from my Q6

depends on th compound.

He is talking about his scooter smile.pngbiggrin.pngclap2.gif

depends on th compound.

He is talking about his scooter smile.pngbiggrin.pngclap2.gif

I didn't know that Vigo is the scooter tongue.png

Come on mow chaps, 2 wore out, 2 did not. rolleyes.gif ..................................smile.png

So now it's a lawn mower laugh.pngclap2.gif

...that's a little harsh,it's Vigo ...cheesy.gif ....seriously now,tell me you forgot to rotate your wheels,or did not check your tire pressure regularlywhistling.gif

Come on mow chaps, 2 wore out, 2 did not. rolleyes.gif ..................................smile.png

So now it's a lawn mower laugh.pngclap2.gif

...that's a little harsh,it's Vigo ...cheesy.gif ....seriously now,tell me you forgot to rotate your wheels,or did not check your tire pressure regularlywhistling.gif

Now that appears to be a problem, almost very time i check mime there are pickups before me, many the normal ones with only 15" wheels, yet they still put in 45 - 60 !!!!!! cannot see putting double the amount of air in is helping anything ?